Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102
    edited December 1969

Enjoyed looking at all the renders. A lot of nice work being shown.

This is my latest experiment. After watching one of David's videos where he mentions the Photograph bit in the Terrain Editor and then goes on to say he never uses it I thought I would see what it does. I loaded one of my pictures into it, messed about with it and came up with this.

The first image is the original picture. It is automatically converted to greyscale and that is used as the bump map for the terrain.

The second image is what I created from that bump map. I started off by lowering the resolution to 16 and then worked it up to 1024; erode this; dampen a little; erode some more, you get the idea :-) The view is too high for a sky but I added one and dived into the Sky Lab and set it up as an HDRI, I know I don't do things by half as I have never done that before either :) I used instancing on a pine tree; grouped it and instanced it as a group and pasted them in just to break up the ground plane. I think it worked out not too bad.

ederline-forest-pic-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 686K
    argyll-004.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 248K
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Fishtales

Very great, so real as it gets.

edited September 2014

Autum and Afternoon my newest.

Afternoon1.jpg
    750 x 500 - 254K
    Autum1.jpg
    750 x 500 - 232K
    Post edited by Roland4 on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,362
    edited December 1969

Horo- Thanks, I'm reworking both tutorials as I'm not really happy with either one. The Cliff-Lake render is beautiful.

Fishtales and Roland - nice renders from both of you.

edited December 1969

An old acquaintance.

Island4.jpg
    750 x 500 - 352K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: I knew if a Wings object wasn't in pieces, separate material couldn't be applied in Bryce. I can assign separate material using the second tennis ball tutorial, but the fuzzy yellow material in the library, while appears fuzzy on a regular sphere, doesn't appear fuzzy on the tennis ball #2. So I'm playing with settings trying to get the fuzzy material to look fuzzy on the tennis ball from the second tutorial.

@Dave: My first thought in seeing your latest image was that's a real nice photo.

@mermaid: Nice results from both tutorials, yet I also like the foreground tennis ball more.

@Horo: Beautiful image, especially the water. More times than not the results you're getting are real close to photo images.

@Sandy: The place in the picture really looks like a place to explore. Your rendered image is very nice.

@Roland: Really like what you've done in the third image.

edited December 1969

Thanks GussNemo. It is a new edition from: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/165462/

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David: I knew if a Wings object wasn't in pieces, separate material couldn't be applied in Bryce. I can assign separate material using the second tennis ball tutorial, but the fuzzy yellow material in the library, while appears fuzzy on a regular sphere, doesn't appear fuzzy on the tennis ball #2. So I'm playing with settings trying to get the fuzzy material to look fuzzy on the tennis ball from the second tutorial.

If you want to use a volumetric material swap the ball mesh for a default Bryce sphere. Volume materials don't really work very well on mesh objects. You can keep the track though.

edited December 1969

Or so.

Schale1.jpg
    750 x 500 - 309K
    edited September 2014

Rendered with Horo's Garage HDRI. Still my favorite HDRI. Just love the reflections it gives. And the overall colour. The "light" is supplied by a hyper texture driven obscure gel. Actually technically speak Phased Hyper Texture. Don't ask me why, I don't know, but the phase component of textures holds a particular fascination for me. So as a result I suppose, a new means of making hypertextures was created. A random act of just messing with things. Horo has in turn, put in the real hard work and documented the results. Thank you Horo! Because lets face it, if you've seen my video's you know I'm more of a, "lets see what happens if we do this" kinda guy.

So... to the process that produced this render. It may look simple enough, and I suppose in a way it is, but... for the morbidly curious, a picture from google images was imported into Modo (a modeling program I am trying to teach myself how to use with the aid of youtube and the brilliant tutorials of Peter Stammbach) so I carefully traced a 2D mesh over the image of half the bottle and then radial swept it into a 3D shape which was then broken up with a 3D voroni pattern and then turned into a kinetic body and dropped onto a static kinetic body. The resulting simulation was captured, a time pinpointed and the geometry at that instant baked into a mesh. The mesh exported into Bryce and "Bobs your uncle." With the aid of Horo's wonderful HDRI as already mentioned - my Bryce render of a broken bottle.

Edit. Here's an Octane render of the same mesh for comparison. I think Bryce looks pretty good really.

Broken_glass_octane1.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 171K
    Broken_bottle1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 128K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Hard to keep up with everything when work gets in the way.. I am way behind on David's excellent tutorials.

I just started fiddling with the shoreline effect for terrains. I did not select a proper terrain for creating a shoreline for..
    but I did achieve some interesting results

whitewater.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@David - wow those broken glass pictures! ....I honestly thought I was looking at real photo's for a second there! ....nicely done :)

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Looks like Dufus da Dwagon may have found a girlfwend.

Introducing Dorris (still haven't decided whether she should be referred to as Dowwis. :cheese:

DufusAndDorris.jpg
    1001 x 650 - 464K
    edited December 1969

@David: Thanks for the information. And I have to agree, both of those look more like photos than renders.

@Roland: Your latest image is really neat. Love all the reflections.

@Rareth: Nice results, even if they weren't what you were after. You've got nice looking white water rapids in that scene.

@Dave: Thought for a while Dufus was going to be a bachelor.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,509
    edited December 1969

@Roland4 - thank you. Autumn and Afternoon look nice. The house with the trees in the bowl is a nice idea. The second with the boat looks very nice.

@electro-elvis - thank you.

@Fishtales - good idea. I've also used photograps (even scans of objects) in the past. The caveat is that they are only 8 bit greyscale and you risk to get visible steps if you don't smooth the resulting terrain. Nevertheless, you're terrain looks nice.

@mermaid010 - thank you.

@David - quite elaborate technique to get the shards. It's easier in reality, just drop the bottle once you have the contents in the stomach. Looking great, however and I definitely prefer the Bryce render for two reasons: bottle glass is green (wine bottle) and it is sharp. The Octane render is blurred, DOF probably a bit too extreme. And, oh yes, I'm a great fan of the Phased Hyper Texture.

@Rareth - that gorge with the wild water came out quite good.

@Dave - Dufus and Dowwis seem to have fun with each other.

I'm still fiddling around with the new terrain set. Here again the Cliff at evening and down at the coast with a busy sea.

Cliff-Evening.jpg
    534 x 800 - 82K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - quite elaborate technique to get the shards. It's easier in reality, just drop the bottle once you have the contents in the stomach. Looking great, however and I definitely prefer the Bryce render for two reasons: bottle glass is green (wine bottle) and it is sharp. The Octane render is blurred, DOF probably a bit too extreme. And, oh yes, I'm a great fan of the Phased Hyper Texture

That's a great render Horo, the haze is highly plausible, last time I was up at Scarborough I saw just such a scene looking down the coast towards Filey. Sadly the coast here at Mablethorpe is not so dramatic, but at least I should be thankful that it is not falling into the sea (this is happening in places up at Scarborough). https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=scarborough+hotel+fell+into+sea&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=989&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vh4MVMzvBcH3O9rFgaAN&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Yes in a way it is an involved method to get broken glass, but it was also a good lesson for me. Modo is quite an investment for me, I want to make the most of it, so I am most interested in the things that it can do that Wings cannot.

@Rareth, great render. Good contrast, well done with the white water, looks really good. A few bits of spray against the rocks would really help sell the image and maybe a touch of haze, but not too much. Material, lighting and terrain choices are excellent.

@Tim, thank you.

@Jamie, thank you also.

@Dave, very cute. Dworeen? Dwaisy?

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Thanks all for the replies. There is Haze in the render, had some trouble not getting too much, might need more tweaking, I tried to get a layer of Mist Over the water, but that technique needs more work. I'll have to see what I can come up with for water splashes.

edited December 1969

@Horo: You're getting such beautiful results.

@David: Wow, those are some scary pictures. Especially that one of the hillside sloughing off right behind the building. Looks like places here in the US after days of heavy rain. I did try your idea of replacing the main part of tennis ball 2 with a sphere, but didn't like the results. So I'm playing around with other materials.

edited December 1969

@Horo

What a feeling.

edited December 1969

Another Canyon.

Canyon5b.jpg
    750 x 500 - 345K
    edited December 1969

@Roland: I really like the material used on the walls, but wonder what you've used on the left foreground. Grass, I suppose, though I don't get a sense of it being grass.

edited December 1969

Yes, it is grass. A material from Bryce 7 Pro.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

i was just randomly looking for a effect, and noticed i had a nice looking scene in the process and thought i would share :)

Rock_Island_2.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 192K
    edited December 1969

@Tim Bateman: Nice things can happen when playing around. I like the overall look of that scene. How the light plays through the opening in the rock gives it an almost portal quality.

edited December 1969

Guss- thanks.

Roland- I really like both renders of the old acquaintance. The Canyon render is also nicely done.

David - Nice renders - the scattered glass, but the Bryce one is better.

Rareth - Nice render,

Dave - So cute, Dufus is not alone any more Dorris or Dowwis both are nice names.

Horo- Another beautiful render, love the clouds and the water.

Tim Bateman - that’s a very nice render,

My second tennis ball render. Like Guss I can’t find a nice material, even after playing in the DTE, so I went with this Hdri backdrop render. The one on the right is the 1st tutorial and the one on the left the 2nd tutorial.

tennisball2.jpg
    920 x 690 - 31K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2014

Like Guss I can’t find a nice material,

I don't have the the tennis ball as such, however, as they are a bit fluffy, would one of the 'fluffs' (below using the 'dense fluff' one with increased noise) in the Pro Materials suit?

Jay

TennisBallMat.jpg
    716 x 620 - 289K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited September 2014

Jamahoney said:
    Like Guss I can’t find a nice material,

I don't have the the tennis ball as such, however, as they are a bit fluffy, would one of the 'fluffs' (below using the 'dense fluff' one with increased noise) in the Pro Materials suit?

Jay

Thanks Jay, I tried that and so did Guss but Volumetric materials don't work well with meshes. David and Guss have discussed it at the beginning of this page.

Edited: sorry I think it was towards the end of the previous page.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Today's doodle... It started off as another stacked terrain, but then I just played in the DTE for a while and didn't stack any terrains... Then a while playing with the IBL, sky, cloud and haze settings.

The result.

StatueCoastSky.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 329K
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64

Very good, better than my current results.

edited December 1969

@mermaid: Those two are neat looking. I couldn't even get a different color for the first tennis ball, you did well.

@Jay: The fuzzy yellow you showed is the first material I tried, but it always rendered flat. It wasn't until David told me about volumetric material and meshes not playing well together that I sort of understood why it looked flat. Which lead me to wondering if it wasn't possible to change the mesh to something that plays well with volumetric material. I haven't explored that thought very far, yet. I did try David's suggestion of replacing the main part of the tennis ball with a Bryce sphere, but the results were not very good. So I went back to plan A, whatever that was.

@Dave: Really nice scene for a doodle. Love the figure, had the same idea but haven't pursued it yet.

This discussion has been closed.