[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 2 Male to Genesis 8 Male [Commercial]

RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,369
edited March 2020 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Convert your favorite Genesis 2 Male characters to Genesis 8 Male characters!

The Character Converter from Genesis 2 Male to Genesis 8 Male transfers the morphs from beloved Genesis 2 characters to the latest generation, Genesis 8. Featuring a new conversion process developed specifically for this generation, the Character Converter scripts provide easy batch execution for automatically converting your Genesis 2 Male Character to a Genesis 8 Male Character in your library. Even better, icons and categories are copied from your original Genesis 2 Character to the new Genesis 8 Character.   You can also automatically apply Genesis 8 materials to your converted character as part of the conversion process.

The new Character Converter script is extremely simple to use. Just select the characters to convert and click execute! There is also a Convert Custom Character script which will copy a Genesis 2 Male character in the scene, with all currently used morphs, to a Genesis 8 Male character (no character preset is created and no materials are copied).

Tutorial for Character Converter Products

Please see the product ReadMe for full details.

What's Included and Features

• Character Converter from Genesis 2 Male to Genesis 8 Male:
    • Character Converter Script (.DSE)
    • Convert Custom Character Script (.DSE)
    • Detailed User Guide (.PDF)

* The Character Converter script cannot properly convert all Genesis 2 characters, especially as Genesis 2 characters have a higher polygon count.  Characters with extreme morphs may have problems, especially around the eyes.  HD resolution characters are converted to base resolution characters.  Bulge maps, the Genesis 2 equivalent to corrective morphs (i.e., JCMs/MCMs), are not converted.  Multi-part characters (e.g., a character that loads a figure and separate horns) cannot be converted. Material presets are also not converted. Default materials copied to your new Genesis 8 characters may have ugly seams and/or misaligned features due to the different UV layout. Items without metadata can be converted but will not show up in Smart Content. They may also need to be converted using a Force Convert Item(s) button.

main.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 416K
popup_1.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 422K
popup_2.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 198K
popup_3.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 284K
popup_4.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 141K
popup_5.jpg
2000 x 2363 - 1M
popup_6.jpg
1452 x 1000 - 391K
popup_7.jpg
2615 x 1699 - 796K
popup_8.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 184K
popup_9.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 252K
popup_10.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 122K
popup_11.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 196K
popup_12.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 226K
popup_13.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 130K
popup_14.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 340K
Post edited by RiverSoft Art on

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

*squeals like a little kid* 

Laurie

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,151

Would you mind transferring Reptilian HD, just so I can see what it looks like? You don't have to post it in the thread if you don't want.

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,369
    AllenArt said:

*squeals like a little kid* 

Laurie

LOL

Gordig said:

Would you mind transferring Reptilian HD, just so I can see what it looks like? You don't have to post it in the thread if you don't want.

There are a few problems with Reptilian.  

1. The character is HD
    2. The shape is extreme
    3. The textures don't transfer
    4. He is multiple parts: main body and head, legs, and tail

Here is the main body and head converted over to G8 with Oolong HD materials.

Reptilian 8 with Oolong HD Materials.png
    1000 x 1300 - 968K
    Gordig said:

1. The character is HD
    2. The shape is extreme

Thank you, that's actually quite workable for my purposes. I may end up buying this after all, since Reptilian is 95% of the reason I would need to convert from G2.

Gordig said:
    Gordig said:

1. The character is HD
    2. The shape is extreme

Thank you, that's actually quite workable for my purposes. I may end up buying this after all, since Reptilian is 95% of the reason I would need to convert from G2.

You're welcome!

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

I have some of the Gen X characters converted from Michael 4 and David 3 to Genesis 1, and then to Genesis 2. I stopped there. Would I be able to bring the Genesis 2 version over to Genesis 8? (What I really would like, however, is to be able to go directly form Michael 4 and David 3 to Genesis 8.)

inquire said:

I have some of the Gen X characters converted from Michael 4 and David 3 to Genesis 1, and then to Genesis 2. I stopped there. Would I be able to bring the Genesis 2 version over to Genesis 8? (What I really would like, however, is to be able to go directly form Michael 4 and David 3 to Genesis 8.)

Yes, you will, though these copies of copies of copies are not going to be as good. (hopefully, I can keep pushing back to earlier generations, depending on if I think the quality is good enough and the support is there)

• LintonLinton Posts: 541

-heavy breathing intensifies-

Linton said:

-heavy breathing intensifies-

LOL.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097
    edited March 2020
    inquire said:

Yes, you will, though these copies of copies of copies are not going to be as good. (hopefully, I can keep pushing back to earlier generations, depending on if I think the quality is good enough and the support is there)

Right. That's exactly why I'm still hoping for a direct transfer from Michael 4 and David 3 to Genesis 8. I hope you do decide that the quality will be good enough and that you can make enough money by developing the product. M4 and D3 were both around for quite a while, and there are many morphs or characters for each of them. It would be wonderful for me to be able to transfer such characters to G8.

Post edited by inquire on
    edited March 2020

It's released, and I bought it, along with Raven and Minotaur for G2M. Time to convert those two along with Reptilian, and...probably never use it again, honestly. I don't have a lot of G2 characters, and I'm not especially attached to any of the regular human ones.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687

That's great news.

I'm buying the converters from earlier generations mainly in the hope that supporting these will give you the sales to make it worthwhile to go further back if possible.  Great products, thank you!

I just tried a conversion of the Minotaur to G8 - the morph itself went very well.  I'll probably have to edit the texture for the legs.

As a quick test, I added the fur from the Gorilla 8 to the Minotaur 8.  Still needs some work, but I'm happy that this will work.

minotaurG8.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 182K
    Gordig said:

It's released, and I bought it, along with Raven and Minotaur for G2M. Time to convert those two along with Reptilian, and...probably never use it again, honestly. I don't have a lot of G2 characters, and I'm not especially attached to any of the regular human ones.

LOL.  Well, thank you for your support.

That's great news.

I'm buying the converters from earlier generations mainly in the hope that supporting these will give you the sales to make it worthwhile to go further back if possible.  Great products, thank you!

Thank you!  I appreciate that support.

I just tried a conversion of the Minotaur to G8 - the morph itself went very well.  I'll probably have to edit the texture for the legs.

As a quick test, I added the fur from the Gorilla 8 to the Minotaur 8.  Still needs some work, but I'm happy that this will work.

Great!  Thank you for sharing!

• So if you convert a bunch of characters, does that make G8 take longer to load? I thought I read that somewhere.

I have all these products, but I've been afraid to use them because I'm not sure if there is a negative impact if I do. So I thought I would ask.

I even have this one in my cart and will probably check out before I hear back.

Thanks.

edited March 2020
    KevinH said:

So if you convert a bunch of characters, does that make G8 take longer to load? I thought I read that somewhere.

I have all these products, but I've been afraid to use them because I'm not sure if there is a negative impact if I do. So I thought I would ask.

I even have this one in my cart and will probably check out before I hear back.

Thanks.

Yes, the more morphs you have for a generation (whether from lots of characters you bought, "fix" morph or muscle morph packs, or converted morphs from this character), the slower a figure will load in Daz Studio.  It doesn't affect loading Daz, just loading the figure.  I have taken to renaming the converted morphs folder (data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Male/Morphs) so that Daz loads my regular figures faster.  When I need a converted figure, I rename the folder back.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
    edited March 2020

Well, Raven was a catastrophic failure, unless you like nightmares.

Raven transfer.png
    750 x 1000 - 485K
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395

i was just about to ask if minotaur was doable as i saw your post - would you mind kindly rendering another test without the hair so i can see the result better? ^^

i was just about to ask if minotaur was doable as i saw your post - would you mind kindly rendering another test without the hair so i can see the result better? ^^

No problem.  Give me a few minutes and I'll post.

edited March 2020

I did the same, although I'm using the Minotaur shape as a starting point for more of an anthropomorphic mountain goat. There's definitely some texture stretching on the snout, so I wonder if there would be a better choice for the skin texture.

Sabaaka.png
    750 x 1000 - 497K
    Post edited by Gordig on

Here are three quick renders - default, with horns and close up of the head.

Min 1.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 59K
    Min 2.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 61K
    Min 3.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 71K

Gordig said:

I did the same, although I'm using the Minotaur shape as a starting point for more of an anthropomorphic mountain goat. There's definitely some texture stretching on the snout, so I wonder if there would be a better choice for the skin texture.

Nice work.  I think that with such a dark texture, a little stretching wouldn't be particularly noticable.

edited March 2020

Gordig said:

Nice work.  I think that with such a dark texture, a little stretching wouldn't be particularly noticable.

Thanks. Looking at it again, it's not so much stretching as just a little blurry. 

Sabaaka

Also, here is Reptilian with some HFS morphs and SmidA's reptile skin texture.

Reptile+.png
    750 x 1000 - 622K
    Post edited by Gordig on

Tried a whole bunch of skin textures to see what I liked on my new G8 reptile. I think the winner is Dolb plus SmidA's reptile displacement maps. If I go this route, though, I'll definitely need to edit out the nipples.

Reptile+ Aqua.png
    750 x 1000 - 642K
    Reptile+ Creech.png
    750 x 1000 - 661K
    Reptile+ Crypto.png
    750 x 1000 - 615K
    Reptile+ Hobgoblin.png
    750 x 1000 - 629K
    Reptile+ Orc flesh.png
    750 x 1000 - 611K
    Reptile+ Orc pale.png
    750 x 1000 - 610K
    Reptile+ Orc.png
    750 x 1000 - 618K
    Reptile+ Troll.png
    750 x 1000 - 618K
    Reptile+ Dolb.png
    750 x 1000 - 581K
    Reptile+ Dolb+SmidA.png
    750 x 1000 - 589K
    Gordig said:

Tried a whole bunch of skin textures to see what I liked on my new G8 reptile. I think the winner is Dolb plus SmidA's reptile displacement maps. If I go this route, though, I'll definitely need to edit out the nipples.

They are looking good.  I don't own Reptile, but I've put it in the wishlist adn will probably pick it up in the sale next time the price is right for me.

I think that the results with the minotaur and the reptile show just how Riversoftart's Genesis 2 to 8 converter is.  I really didn't expect it to work on such extreme morphs as there, but I'm very happy with the results.

Gordig said:

Well, Raven was a catastrophic failure, unless you like nightmares.

Which Raven is this?  I was going to ask if you got other characters to convert, but I see from your subsequent posts you did.

Gordig said:

@Gordig, thank you so much for sharing the results of your conversions and texture experiments!  You are helping everyone!