[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 2 Male to Genesis 8 Male [Commercial]

Comments

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,437

I think I've found the problem(s). The morphs in the picture load in with all of the G2M to G8M characters that I've created/converted so far. The morphs can be dialled out seperately. I think the Michael 4 morphs were created, when I converted Orso. 

morph.png
    800 x 800 - 149K
  • RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,372
    N_R Arts said:

I think I've found the problem(s). The morphs in the picture load in with all of the G2M to G8M characters that I've created/converted so far. The morphs can be dialled out seperately. I think the Michael 4 morphs were created, when I converted Orso. 

Eek!  That would be a problem.  Is "Male" a control property?  Somewhere the script got Male for the name of the character?  I assume you haven't been typing Male or blank characters for every character's name; I would have to see the Daz log to figure out WHY the script is filling in everything for "Male".  There are a lot of places where the script wants to paste the gender onto a string.  If the first part is not supposed to be blank, that could make this occur.

edited April 2020

Eek!  That would be a problem.  Is "Male" a control property?  Somewhere the script got Male for the name of the character?  I assume you haven't been typing Male or blank characters for every character's name; I would have to see the Daz log to figure out WHY the script is filling in everything for "Male".  There are a lot of places where the script wants to paste the gender onto a string.  If the first part is not supposed to be blank, that could make this occur.

I've got no idea where it's come from, and I would never give a character (or a morph) a short, generalised name like that. 

I've uploaded the log file to this post (as a 7z - Sorry it's taken a while, I've had problems uploading). I have little understanding when it comes to reading logs, but there are quite a few errors.

7z
    7z
    log.7z
    Post edited by N-RArts on
    N_R Arts said:

I've got no idea where it's come from, and I would never give a character (or a morph) a short, generalised name like that. 

I've uploaded the log file to this post (as a 7z - Sorry it's taken a while, I've had problems uploading). I have little understanding when it comes to reading logs, but there are quite a few errors.

Wow, you gave me a lot of debug info smiley  It was a little overwhelming.  The one thing that jumps out at me is that no items are reporting a vendor, which is causing a pathing issue.  Can you PM me your email address?  I will need to make a debug version of the script to work with you.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,847

The "Could not find parent", "Failed to prepare" and "Failed to create" errors are the cause of N_R Arts problem, basically DS isn't creating those twelve sliders, which means any ERC links aren't being created, which means none of the morphs linked to those assets are working correctly.

The issue, the parent in those files will be pointing to G2M rather than G8M.

95% of the remaining errors are from the product(s) of one vendor.

Bejaymac said:

The "Could not find parent", "Failed to prepare" and "Failed to create" errors are the cause of N_R Arts problem, basically DS isn't creating those twelve sliders, which means any ERC links aren't being created, which means none of the morphs linked to those assets are working correctly.

The issue, the parent in those files will be pointing to G2M rather than G8M.

95% of the remaining errors are from the product(s) of one vendor.

Wow.  Thanks @Bejaymac.  And the sliders are not working because the vendor name is not being reported by Daz (it is empty).  Then the script does not put in a nice default and things go downhill from there.

N_R Arts said:
    Wow, you gave me a lot of debug info smiley  It was a little overwhelming.  The one thing that jumps out at me is that no items are reporting a vendor, which is causing a pathing issue.  Can you PM me your email address?  I will need to make a debug version of the script to work with you.

Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I've had such a hard time with Daz Studio lately, it was just easier to post the whole log. 

With the converters, I've unchecked "Check Content Type When Adding Files" and "Ignore Daz Bought Files". That's the only way that I've been able to convert some characters, and for others, I've had to use "Force Convert". I have I've had to do the same with the G2F to G8F converter. Although I've tried converting Lilith 6 again with "Check Content Type When Adding Files" and "Ignore Daz Bought Files" checked, but the result has given me a morph called "Female" (I've attached a screenshot). It does the same thing as the "Male" morph.

I've just tried converting Orso and Minotaur 6 again ( with "Check Content Type When Adding Files" and "Ignore Daz Bought Files" checked). Both conversions made Daz Studio crash, when I closed the window for the script.  I've checked the 'currently used morphs', and the "Male" morph has been added again..

lil628.png
    312 x 500 - 51K
    N_R Arts said:
    N_R Arts said:

Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I've had such a hard time with Daz Studio lately, it was just easier to post the whole log. 

With the converters, I've unchecked "Check Content Type When Adding Files" and "Ignore Daz Bought Files". That's the only way that I've been able to convert some characters, and for others, I've had to use "Force Convert". I have I've had to do the same with the G2F to G8F converter. Although I've tried converting Lilith 6 again with "Check Content Type When Adding Files" and "Ignore Daz Bought Files" checked, but the result has given me a morph called "Female" (I've attached a screenshot). It does the same thing as the "Male" morph.

I've just tried converting Orso and Minotaur 6 again ( with "Check Content Type When Adding Files" and "Ignore Daz Bought Files" checked). Both conversions made Daz Studio crash, when I closed the window for the script.  I've checked the 'currently used morphs', and the "Male" morph has been added again..

I just sent you an email.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,847

No, vendor data wether it's in the DSF file or metadata has nothing to do with the sliders failing to be created.

Line 18 in a Morph asset tells DS which mesh that asset is meant to work with, if you are loading mesh A but the morph is looking for mesh B then the morph is going to fail to work, it's that simple.

"parent" : "/data/DAZ%203D/Genesis%208/Male/Genesis8Male.dsf#Genesis8Male",
    "parent" : "/data/DAZ%203D/Genesis%208/Male/Genesis8Male.dsf#geometry",

Those are the two versions for line 18 that you should find in a morph asset file for G8M, first one is for control assets, ie no morph deltas, the second is for assets with morph deltas.

That's where your script is going wrong for N_R Arts, it's odds on that it's left that line calling G2M, there's an outside chance it could be the #tags calling the wrong property, but I doubt it.

Bejaymac said:

No, vendor data wether it's in the DSF file or metadata has nothing to do with the sliders failing to be created.

Line 18 in a Morph asset tells DS which mesh that asset is meant to work with, if you are loading mesh A but the morph is looking for mesh B then the morph is going to fail to work, it's that simple.

"parent" : "/data/DAZ%203D/Genesis%208/Male/Genesis8Male.dsf#Genesis8Male",
    "parent" : "/data/DAZ%203D/Genesis%208/Male/Genesis8Male.dsf#geometry",

Those are the two versions for line 18 that you should find in a morph asset file for G8M, first one is for control assets, ie no morph deltas, the second is for assets with morph deltas.

That's where your script is going wrong for N_R Arts, it's odds on that it's left that line calling G2M, there's an outside chance it could be the #tags calling the wrong property, but I doubt it.

DS has a bug where it writes out the wrong data.  The script tries to correct that entry but with incorrect data, the file is saved in a strange location and the script does not find it to fix the file.

edited April 2020

I've tried converting Orso again. Daz crashed when I closed the script window. I found morphs were being saved in two different places. One was in a file named "Local User", and another was "Genesis 2". 

I was reading the thread for the "Genesis 2 Female to Genesis 8 Female Character Converter", and some people were saying that the characters were (sometimes) taking an hour (or so) to convert. It's something that I've not experienced. Most have been converted within ten minutes. Having said that, I'm try to convert Scott 6, and he took a total of 22 minutes and 22 seconds (plus, Daz crashed when I closed the window for the script - again). It's still making that "Male" morph dial too.

I've attached the latest "crash-dump-file-thing" to see if you can get any new (or different) information from it (if you don't need it, just ignore it ^^'). 

zip
    zip
    DAZStudio_error_report_200427-210013.zip
    Post edited by N-RArts on
    edited April 2020
    N_R Arts said:

I've tried converting Orso again. Daz crashed when I closed the script window. I found morphs were being saved in two different places. One was in a file named "Local User", and another was "Genesis 2". 

I was reading the thread for the "Genesis 2 Female to Genesis 8 Female Character Converter", and some people were saying that the characters were (sometimes) taking an hour (or so) to convert. It's something that I've not experienced. Most have been converted within ten minutes. Having said that, I'm try to convert Scott 6, and he took a total of 22 minutes and 22 seconds (plus, Daz crashed when I closed the window for the script - again). It's still making that "Male" morph dial too.

I've attached the latest "crash-dump-file-thing" to see if you can get any new (or different) information from it (if you don't need it, just ignore it ^^'). 

Have you been converting other characters successfully then?  The file I sent you *mostly* worked?  I need to know this feedback in order to know if I should submit a patch.  However...

...I know why you are getting the "Male" character.  The script asks DS for the product info for Scott 6:

2020-04-27 20:36:22.813 DEBUG: GetVendorInfo D:/Daz3D/People/Genesis 2 Male/Characters/Scott 6.duf People/Genesis 2 Male/Characters/Scott 6.duf
    2020-04-27 20:36:22.815 DEBUG: No products found for file D:/Daz3D/People/Genesis 2 Male/Characters/Scott 6.duf
    2020-04-27 20:36:22.816 DEBUG: /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Male/Genesis2Male.dsf
    2020-04-27 20:36:22.824 DEBUG: Vendor Name: DAZ 3D
    2020-04-27 20:36:22.824 DEBUG: Product Name: Genesis 2
    2020-04-27 20:36:22.824 DEBUG: Character Name: Male

The script then uses the path to make up a name, but in this case "Male" is the parent "Character" directory.  I probably should make the default be "Unknown G2M" or something like that if it is "Male" or "Female".  I will try and send you an update to try tomorrow morning.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on

Sorry it's taken a while, but I've converted everything again, and I've added pictures to the thread to show you the results:

Minotaur 6 - Only the body morph was converted (no pic).

Reptilian 6 - Loading from the content Library was giving me Lucian 7. After Orso was converted, Orso was loading in via the Content Library. The morphs work.

Scott 6 - Converted with no problems. Nipples are a little lower on the G8M version. Loading from Content Library gives me Orso with that "Male" morph. 

Orso - Two morphs created. One morph is for the head, and the other morphs head and body (the latter also controls the single head morph). It just looks like a "bigger" version of the G8M base.

Lilith 6 - Not a perfect conversion (like I've had with other conversions), but I'm pretty happy with how she's turned out. Content Library give me Lilith 6

My G2F OC - Would also be a good conversion, had it not been for the area around her eyes (I've never had a mesh deform like that before in any of the converters).  Content Library gives me the base G8F model.

My G2M OC - Isn't looking too bad. I was seeing a problem with his top lip, but I think that's been sorted. Loading from content library gives me the G8M base figure.

Plus, Daz hasn't crashed at all, when I've closed the script. 

I've added results from the G2F Converter too. I just wanted to show that things do work (although correcting my G2F OC's eyes has me stumped).

I'd say the script is working, but some results are "hit and miss". 

Scott 6.png
    817 x 566 - 671K
    Reptilian 8.png
    803 x 677 - 555K
    Orso.png
    1003 x 677 - 614K
    Lilith 6.png
    1476 x 640 - 812K
    G2MOC.png
    1002 x 677 - 638K
    G2FOC.png
    1002 x 614 - 581K
    N_R Arts said:

Sorry it's taken a while, but I've converted everything again, and I've added pictures to the thread to show you the results:

Minotaur 6 - Only the body morph was converted (no pic).

Reptilian 6 - Loading from the content Library was giving me Lucian 7. After Orso was converted, Orso was loading in via the Content Library. The morphs work.

Scott 6 - Converted with no problems. Nipples are a little lower on the G8M version. Loading from Content Library gives me Orso with that "Male" morph. 

Orso - Two morphs created. One morph is for the head, and the other morphs head and body (the latter also controls the single head morph). It just looks like a "bigger" version of the G8M base.

Lilith 6 - Not a perfect conversion (like I've had with other conversions), but I'm pretty happy with how she's turned out. Content Library give me Lilith 6

My G2F OC - Would also be a good conversion, had it not been for the area around her eyes (I've never had a mesh deform like that before in any of the converters).  Content Library gives me the base G8F model.

My G2M OC - Isn't looking too bad. I was seeing a problem with his top lip, but I think that's been sorted. Loading from content library gives me the G8M base figure.

Plus, Daz hasn't crashed at all, when I've closed the script. 

I've added results from the G2F Converter too. I just wanted to show that things do work (although correcting my G2F OC's eyes has me stumped).

I'd say the script is working, but some results are "hit and miss". 

For the eyes issue, I assume you have tried all the usual suspects.  You might try by first turning off your scaling or setting the scaling as close as possible to the height of the G8F.

• pctech4nypctech4ny Posts: 181

A question since I've just discovered this product (been away from Daz a few months): is it possible to attach G2 geografts to the converted G8 character?

For instance earlier in the thread Gordig was showing some Reptillian 6 conversions and unless I am mistaken it looked like the leg geografts were applied? If the legs worked how about the tail?

Guess I will be buying this at some point to check it out as I've long wanted to try to update the Reptllian to a more modern base myself to use with other G8 products.

pctech4ny said:

A question since I've just discovered this product (been away from Daz a few months): is it possible to attach G2 geografts to the converted G8 character?

For instance earlier in the thread Gordig was showing some Reptillian 6 conversions and unless I am mistaken it looked like the leg geografts were applied? If the legs worked how about the tail?

Guess I will be buying this at some point to check it out as I've long wanted to try to update the Reptllian to a more modern base myself to use with other G8 products.

I have not tried, perhaps @Gordig can chime in.  I think if you saved the legs separately (as the script will only convert one thing that is loaded), it might work.

I'm sorry that it's taken a while, but I finally have a result.

I converted Minotaur 6 again. What was the "male" morph, is now Minotaur 6. I'm not getting (what would be) the male morph with all conversions, but it's the first time that the product name has replaced the "male" title of the morph (I hope that makes sense ^^').

I'm done with Orso. But, I converted Lee 6 with no problems. 

I must admit that I'm having quite a few problems with Daz at the moment. But, the morphs are there and working. However, Daz (still) keeps crashing when I close the window. So I've added another ZIP from the last crash.

zip
    zip
    DAZStudio_error_report_200522-014615.zip
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,049

That appears to be the script module crashing due to an issue with signals/slots if I am reading the XML right.

• This is the first time I have posted on the DAZ forums so I apologize if I have missed something somewhere.

I am having an issue with the Genesis 2 to Genesis 8 character converters, both the male and the female versions. The script does not run and I have attached a portion of the log file entry below.

I have tried uninstalling from DAZ Connect and using DIM, although I like to use DAZCentral normally but get the same error wherever I install from.

Any advice would be much appreciated - Oh yes the Genesis 3 to Genesis 8 converters both work without a problem and are brilliant, thank you.

Many Thanks

txt
    txt
    ConverterLog.txt
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,215
    pctech4ny said:

Those were actually just HFS leg morphs. It is POSSIBLE to adapt geografts from one figure to another, but not necessarily easy. I attempted to adapt the Reptilian tail to G8M, but the polygons don’t line up very well between G2 and G8. 

This is the first time I have posted on the DAZ forums so I apologize if I have missed something somewhere.

I am having an issue with the Genesis 2 to Genesis 8 character converters, both the male and the female versions. The script does not run and I have attached a portion of the log file entry below.

I have tried uninstalling from DAZ Connect and using DIM, although I like to use DAZCentral normally but get the same error wherever I install from.

Any advice would be much appreciated - Oh yes the Genesis 3 to Genesis 8 converters both work without a problem and are brilliant, thank you.

Many Thanks

Ok, that log is showing the script pulling in different versions from everywhere.  It is pulling in Content Wizard's RS2020HelperFunctions unit, which contains the missing function.  Have you updated all of my products?  If so, try uninstalling Content Wizard briefly to see if it works.

• Wow that was a quick response, thanks.

Yes all products are updated through DAZ Connect and when I uninstalled Content Wizard the script started and is running now. 

I am getting an error about formulas being in more than one place but when I click continue everything carries on.

I have had a poke around and notice that I have a Content Cluster  in my data directory under content database and another in appdata/roaming under cms. I wonder if this is where the problem may be. I did reinstall the whole shebang earlier in the week on a newly formatted E: drive as I was having problems with DAZCentral not accepting the directory structure that I have been using. It is now installed with the DAZCentral structure but when I removed the old software I forgot to clear out the user/appdata/roaming/DAZ directory.

Looks like I might have to start again and make sure I remove my appdata structure or perhaps I will just remove Daz Studio/Install Manager/DAZCentral and remove the appdata directory and see if I can find my content again.

I guess it is the sort of thing you only forget once.

Thanks again for your quick reply and keep up the good work with your amazing products of which I have quite a number

Wow that was a quick response, thanks.

Yes all products are updated through DAZ Connect and when I uninstalled Content Wizard the script started and is running now. 

I am getting an error about formulas being in more than one place but when I click continue everything carries on.

The duplicate formulas error will be fixed in an update I am going to submit this coming week.  In the meantime, deleting the JCM/MCM morphs will get rid of them.

I have had a poke around and notice that I have a Content Cluster  in my data directory under content database and another in appdata/roaming under cms. I wonder if this is where the problem may be. I did reinstall the whole shebang earlier in the week on a newly formatted E: drive as I was having problems with DAZCentral not accepting the directory structure that I have been using. It is now installed with the DAZCentral structure but when I removed the old software I forgot to clear out the user/appdata/roaming/DAZ directory.

Looks like I might have to start again and make sure I remove my appdata structure or perhaps I will just remove Daz Studio/Install Manager/DAZCentral and remove the appdata directory and see if I can find my content again.

I guess it is the sort of thing you only forget once.

Thanks again for your quick reply and keep up the good work with your amazing products of which I have quite a number

You're welcome!  And thank you for your support!

• Hello,

After a couple of days trying to find the problem and removing any references to DAZ Studio I could find I still had problems when trying to run the G2 to G8 conversion scripts. AS I only use my workstation for DAZ Studio I copied my work to an external drive and removed it. I then formatted both my C: and D: drives then reinstalled WIndows 10 on drive C:

I used DAZ Install Manager to install DAZ Studio and the Postgress cms then loaded a Genesis 2 character and the conversion script and everything worked as expected.

My problems started when I re-installed the Contact Wizard, I could not run the G2 to G8 scripts.

Uninstalling the Content Wizard meant the scripts both run correctly.

I have attached my log file with a couple of comments but am now stuck again.

All products have been installed with DAZ Connect and I have not installed DAZ Central or run Daz Install Manager since the initial install and there is no other software running on the workstation

txt
    txt
    Log File.txt

Hello,

After a couple of days trying to find the problem and removing any references to DAZ Studio I could find I still had problems when trying to run the G2 to G8 conversion scripts. AS I only use my workstation for DAZ Studio I copied my work to an external drive and removed it. I then formatted both my C: and D: drives then reinstalled WIndows 10 on drive C:

I used DAZ Install Manager to install DAZ Studio and the Postgress cms then loaded a Genesis 2 character and the conversion script and everything worked as expected.

My problems started when I re-installed the Contact Wizard, I could not run the G2 to G8 scripts.

Uninstalling the Content Wizard meant the scripts both run correctly.

I have attached my log file with a couple of comments but am now stuck again.

All products have been installed with DAZ Connect and I have not installed DAZ Central or run Daz Install Manager since the initial install and there is no other software running on the workstation

Ok, that means there is an out of date version in the Content Wizard.  I will update its zip with the upcoming patch.  In the meantime, you will need to swap them in and out.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Hello,

That's great, thank you. At the moment I have uninstalled Content Wizard and am in the middle of batch converting my G2 to G8 characters with everything looking sweet.

I am perfectly happy swapping them back and forth so no rush with a fix on my behalf.

Hello,

That's great, thank you. At the moment I have uninstalled Content Wizard and am in the middle of batch converting my G2 to G8 characters with everything looking sweet.

I am perfectly happy swapping them back and forth so no rush with a fix on my behalf.

Thanks. 

I have submitted an update.  Hopefully it will be out this week but more likely early next week:

• Added ability to detect and load "character" presets
    • Fixed Head Morphs not being updated 
    • Fixed conversion to not allow empty VendorName or ProductName
    • Fixed conversion to not allow Character Name equal to Female or Male
    • Fixed bug for Duplicate Formula Found errors (Adjusting Rigging To Shape would add bones to JCMs)
    • Fixed bug where JCMs/MCMs were not being set as hidden properties
  • KevinTTKevinTT Posts: 9
    edited July 2021

RiverSoftArt said:

I have submitted an update.  Hopefully it will be out this week but more likely early next week:

• Fixed bug for Duplicate Formula Found errors (Adjusting Rigging To Shape would add bones to JCMs)

Hi good day, I am having problebs with the teeth after conversion. Please help. See pic attached. Thank you.

How To Fix Teeth.png
    500 x 500 - 285K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

KevinTT said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Hi good day, I am having problebs with the teeth after conversion. Please help. See pic attached. Thank you.

Unfortunately, all I can suggest is trying different conversion options.  To speed things up, make sure overwrite morphs is unchecked and delete only the head morph.  The converted morphs are in data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs under the FIRST directory for Daz Studio Formats specified in the Content Directory Manager (F2->"Content" tab->"Content Directory Manager..." button)