Carrara Challenge IX - “The Joke is on Me" WIP Thread is Open

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

Some really good WiPs already.. this challenge is going to be a good one me thinks..

looking at what has already been posted it is going to be a real challenge..

Here is my start

A paint tin .. a paint brush and paint splashes which will have the water shader

just hope I can get the rest together

good work so far, keep it coming :-)

brush_and_can.jpg
    816 x 617 - 75K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Done a bit more modeling today. I've never tried to model a character from scratch before, so we'll see how it goes.

Speaking of never having done something in Carrara, that's why these challenges are so cool. It gives the artist an incentive to try something new.

Picture_2.png
    834 x 630 - 63K
    Picture_1.png
    719 x 625 - 55K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Done a bit more modeling today. I've never tried to model a character from scratch before, so we'll see how it goes.

Speaking of never having done something in Carrara, that's why these challenges are so cool. It gives the artist an incentive to try something new.

Aardman Studios beware... Evil is about!

:coolsmile: Silene

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,851
    edited December 1969

Another wip object, the knife (very important).
    Modelled in Carrara.

wip-3-knife.jpg
    600 x 450 - 22K
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Modelled in Carrara.

Scene of crime?

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Modelled in Carrara.

Scene of crime?

Nope ;-)

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

So far the WIP look real good!

edited December 1969

And here is a WIP of the base scene without any surroundings, ground etc etc..

full-wip-1.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 84K
    edited December 1969

You make jokes on Finnish people now !
    We know that they likes pizzas,my friends saids they are the "Spanish of the north" :-)...

edited May 2014

You make jokes on Finnish people now !
    We know that they likes pizzas,my friends saids they are the "Spanish of the north" :-)...

Yes, decided this joke should be the one, have you got the joke yet?

Here are some another jokes on the same theme:

How do you play Finnish two-player hide and seek?
    You drink one bottle of vodka each, then one person hides in the closet and the other one should try to guess who is in the closet.

or...

The Finnish dad to his sons:
    Why are you playing with knives, I gave you such nice chainsaws for christmas!

or...

How do you play the Finnish game of Jukko?
    Seven Finnish boys goes in to the sauna and bring a knife with them, and everyone starts to throw their knives around. Last one hit, he's Jukko!

or...

A Finn and a Swede was drinking. After third glass of Vodka the Swede raised his glass and said cheers!
    The Finn gave him a sharp look and said:
    -"Are we drinking or are we talking?"

or...

Pekka came back to the front in Winter war after a weekend leave and the Captain asked him what did.
    - "First I spent time with my wife, then I spent time with my wife again, then I took my skis off."

Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

And another WIP, using dreamlands cityblocks as environment, might change in the real one, or get texture fixes....

full-wip-2.jpg
    600 x 450 - 42K
    edited December 1969

Moving along with mine too. Working on the string next and the water droplets.

Untitled-2.jpg
    596 x 475 - 144K
    edited December 1969

Moving right along with mine as well...

Picture_2.png
    656 x 617 - 64K
    edited December 1969

Made the bowls flower texture more visible and in style with the render and the joke.

bowl-wip-2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 22K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited May 2014

For another entry, I am focusing on a rain concept. I don't think I've done a rainy set up before. For some tests, I created a simple vertex umbrella with a uvmapped shader domain for the top so that I could replicate raindrops on the surface. These first raindrops are small beads. I also created some vertex platforms to host a second set of raindrops. These second raindrops are stretched to make streaks and the platforms are made invisible. Both sets of raindrops have water shaders.

Anyway, here is a screenshot of a test setup and a test render.

rain_render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 13K
    rain_setup_1.JPG
    776 x 577 - 135K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    For another entry, I am focusing on a rain concept. I don't think I've done a rainy set up before. For some tests, I created a simple vertex umbrella with a uvmapped shader domain for the top so that I could replicate raindrops on the surface. These first raindrops are small beads. I also created some vertex platforms to host a second set of raindrops. These second raindrops are stretched to make streaks and the platforms are made invisible. Both sets of raindrops have water shaders.

Anyway, here is a screenshot of a test setup and a test render.

Really nice rain, if you can call rain nice....

edited December 1969

Very interesting Diomède!
    You don't seek the facility with the use of particles.
    With motion blur, you should have a good résult.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the feedback Totte and Dudu. This is my first attempt at rain so all suggestions are especially welcome. I will definitely include motion blur in further tests.

Now, if I plan to have anyone in the scene wearing wet clothes, I wonder if anyone has replicated water droplets on close-fitting clothes? EP?

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Thanks for the feedback Totte and Dudu. This is my first attempt at rain so all suggestions are especially welcome. I will definitely include motion blur in further tests.

Now, if I plan to have anyone in the scene wearing wet clothes, I wonder if anyone has replicated water droplets on close-fitting clothes? EP?

What? Like this?

Bikini-Car-wash-GI.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

What? Like this?

That was the render!

Not to ruin it, but could you discuss the setup and settings for the wetlook (both replicator and shader) in a little more detail? Or post a screenshot of the shader trees (not that I don't prefer the actual render)?

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    diomede64 said:

What? Like this?

That was the render!

Not to ruin it, but could you discuss the setup and settings for the wetlook (both replicator and shader) in a little more detail? Or post a screenshot of the shader trees (not that I don't prefer the actual render)?

I'll check to see if I have the scene still.

The wet skin was achieved with wet maps that I bought here at DAZ. I'll see if I can find the link. I added them to the Highlight channel in the shader and then lowered the shininess to around 4 or 5% on the 1-100 numeric slider. I've also contemplated adding the wet maps to the reflection channel to see what that does.

The puddle is a spline object. It uses the same water shader as the water droplets on the bathing suits and the particle emitter attached to the hose.

edited December 1969

Here's the link for the wet maps.

http://www.daz3d.com/universal-wet-maps-and-orcamaid

edited December 1969

Thanks for the link! And thanks for the discussion in the post above. The challenges have definitely encouraged me to check out additional features and uses for Carrara.

edited May 2014

Glad to help!

Basically I did what you did to replicate the water drops on your umbrella for the bathing suits. I chose the suits as the surface and sphere primitives as water drops.

Here's a few screen shots of the replicator settings for A4's bathing suit, the scale I set the sphere to, A4's texture settings and the shader for the water.

Note that in the A4 shader, I have copied the color map into the glow channel to simulate a SSS look. It is set to a low intensity. Just letting you know to avoid confusion about where I loaded the wet maps.

Picture_5.png
    867 x 929 - 425K
    Picture_4.png
    977 x 907 - 360K
    Picture_3.png
    996 x 757 - 98K
    Picture_2.png
    255 x 775 - 61K
    Picture_1.png
    820 x 637 - 381K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Wow, thanks again. Your helpfulness is above and beyond the call of duty. It is obvious I hadn't given enough thought to the skin shaders.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Wow, thanks again. Your helpfulness is above and beyond the call of duty. It is obvious I hadn't given enough thought to the skin shaders.

My V4 and A4 use the same skin as a starting point (both are promoted to masters) and then I just added a multiplier to get the darker look to A4. It's nothing really original, but I liked the effect.

edited December 1969

I was gone for the weekend and wow, great stuff! Remember tonight starts the submissions but this wip thread will remain open too so keep them coming.

I may not have an entry, my computer died last night, I'm hoping it's a power supply, DOA this AM. I had my render start rendering when i went to bed, so hopefully it finished rendering. I have a backup computer connected to my tv for media usage, but it'll allow me to work on the thread, using my phone sucks and it's to hard to copy and paste.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    WARNING: There are so many possibilities with skin shaders, that you could find yourself tweaking for years! :)
  • KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

Wow this is a great and challenging competition round you've created, Kashyyyk.

And i'm enjoying all the jokes people have posted. The lettuce looks really good and Totte's bowl and vodka are coming on great!

Well done for getting us to extend ourselves with making more original content and being creative about the punchlines. I'll do my best to rise to the challenge on this one. I'm from S Africa and we have "Van der Merwe" jokes which are similar in nature to Irish, Polish or Aussie type jokes but with "Van " being the butt of the joke. Having said that, I know a good irish one which I'll use for this competition.

found this newspaer post with a fun summary of world humour:
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/dec/04/global-sense-of-humour

edited December 1969

keryna said:
    Wow this is a great and challenging competition round you've created, Kashyyyk.

And i'm enjoying all the jokes people have posted. The lettuce looks really good and Totte's bowl and vodka are coming on great!

Well done for getting us to extend ourselves with making more original content and being creative about the punchlines. I'll do my best to rise to the challenge on this one. I'm from S Africa and we have "Van der Merwe" jokes which are similar in nature to Irish, Polish or Aussie type jokes but with "Van " being the butt of the joke. Having said that, I know a good irish one which I'll use for this competition.

found this newspaer post with a fun summary of world humour:
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/dec/04/global-sense-of-humour

You don't have a joke on Dutch peoples ?