Carrara Challenge IX - “The Joke is on Me" WIP Thread is Open

Comments

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Wow, thanks again. Your helpfulness is above and beyond the call of duty. It is obvious I hadn't given enough thought to the skin shaders.

My V4 and A4 use the same skin as a starting point (both are promoted to masters) and then I just added a multiplier to get the darker look to A4. It's nothing really original, but I liked the effect.

That's sweet EP, thanks for sharing!

edited May 2014

keryna said:
    Wow this is a great and challenging competition round you've created, Kashyyyk.

And i'm enjoying all the jokes people have posted. The lettuce looks really good and Totte's bowl and vodka are coming on great!

Well done for getting us to extend ourselves with making more original content and being creative about the punchlines. I'll do my best to rise to the challenge on this one. I'm from S Africa and we have "Van der Merwe" jokes which are similar in nature to Irish, Polish or Aussie type jokes but with "Van " being the butt of the joke. Having said that, I know a good irish one which I'll use for this competition.

found this newspaer post with a fun summary of world humour:
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/dec/04/global-sense-of-humour

Thanks keryna, I hope you can submit something, the submission thread will start 9 EST. and will run for 2 weeks, it's to give some more time if needed to render their image and sometimes to tweek and rerender.

My power supply was bad and was replaced. My render didn't finish in time. So I'm going to prep it for render, I'll start the submission thread a little early so I can use my PC to start rendering it.

Post edited by d-j-o on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Zoinks! That opens tonight!

I better get my chickens all in a row!

Picture_1.png
    899 x 630 - 172K
    edited December 1969

The thread is open for submissions!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/41461/

Don't give away your punchline in your submission. I guess if anyone wants to comment on a submission, try to figure out the punchline or ask ask for hints, lets use this thread.

edited December 1969

Zoinks! That opens tonight!

I better get my chickens all in a row!

Shouldn't that be " Cluck!"

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

My first WIP.

This is a shark tank. The other ingredient of the joke is still missing :-)
    I've spent a lot of time trying to adjust the scene lighting to the background. Not there yet, but coming close.

I've also made extensive use of replicators (not surface replicators, but regular ones).

Credit
    Bollards and liquid effects meshes are from spacebones in ShareCG (Liquid and Bollards).
    The shark is a freebie I had somewhere on an hard disk and I cannot trace the source
    The pool couch is also from ShareCG (Pool Couch from Locutas)

HDR and background are from "Dutch Skies 360 - Free 002" (panorama photographer Bob Groothui) from Sibl Archive

The other meshes and all the shaders are home made in Carrara.

test6.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Since the rule says that two WIP's minimum are needed, here is another…
    All was made in vertex modeling and the medical product has a water texture...

Baxter.jpg
    400 x 600 - 61K
    edited December 1969

Wow DUDU_00001 and Philemo, those look great!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Entry # 2 -DON"T VOTE FOR THIS, I'm the host and just want to play along.

Joke-
    What do you call a vegetarian with diarrhea?

What? Why can't we vote for this? I'm sorry to inform you that, since it qualifies and is in the entry thread, we CAN vote on this - just to be perfectly clear! ;)
    edited December 1969

Here's my chicken. I'm still working on the shading and I still have to rig it. The legs look off to me, but the whole body of the chicken won't show if I can frame it how I envision it. The water shader is on the cornea.

BTW, great job so far everybody!

Shaded_chicken.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 548K
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Entry # 2 -DON"T VOTE FOR THIS, I'm the host and just want to play along.

Joke-
    What do you call a vegetarian with diarrhea?

Cool idea and nice execution. The weak point is the lighting and shadows I think. Either that or the background scenery is a bit to busy. What I mean is that you lose separation of the objects being shot. If the shadows where a bit darker that the figures cast on the ground and the shadows a bit darker on the bottoms of the hurled salad fixin's it could help separate them from the background scenery.

edited December 1969

that chicken is cool!
    The lighting was originally GI and HDRI but it froze at the water droplets, so i disabled it and quickly adjust the lights and was going to be just GI then my power supply died while rendering so I figured the image is cursed, I got it to render and called it a day.

Thanks Dart, I don't know, it just feels weird to me taking votes on one i'm hosting.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited May 2014

I've ditched the paintbrush and paint tin project and have gone a different direction!

Here is my current WiP

Sweat drops made from vertex object and shaded with Carrara water
    Grapes also created from a vertex object as well as the stem and shaded
    Bullet casings also created from a vertex object and shaded.

a basic cloud was used for the smoke

WiP2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 271K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited December 1969

grapes and sweat were created using a sphere then pushed & pulled and resized while the bullet shell is a simple cylinder

grapes were duplicated several times and a cylinder was used for the stem with a bend applied.

the sweat was then duplicated several times grouped together then duplicated again.

a simple replicator was used for the shells

grapes.jpg
    698 x 611 - 155K
    edited December 1969

Emoti-guy and his shoes were retextured

This is the final render before postwork which will be a simple brush using Ron's smoke to add some detail to the clouds ;-)

Dangerous_Grape_no_post.jpg
    800 x 600 - 243K
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:

This is the final render before postwork which will be a simple brush using Ron's smoke to add some detail to the clouds ;-)

Looks good!

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,851
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:

I think I know that joke ;-)

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Stezza said:

I remember when I first read it back in 1968! was in a packet of bubble gum lol

edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Totte said:
    Stezza said:

I remember when I first read it back in 1968! was in a packet of bubble gum lol

If it's red, its a really mad blueberry, now it's just an angry blueberry

edited December 1969

My second WIP
    Adding the main character, some details and some passers-by.

I still have some shader tweaking to do and maybe light adjustment. Mabe some more passers-by to add a little life. Some adjustments on the book also.

Towel and book made in Carrara

Additional credits:
    Loretta and Lorenzo Lorez from Predatron.
    Briefcase from ArchiveD

Doc6n.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    My second WIP

I still have some shader tweaking to do and maybe light adjustment. Mabe some more passers-by to add a little life. Some adjustments on the book also.

Additional credits:
    Briefcase from ArchiveD

I don't know but the joke looks like:
    - What do you call a lawyer in a shark pool?
    - A good start!

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Wow! So much amazing work happening here. I love all the creative modeling people are doing.

EP, The chicken looks great and very funny :).

Philemo, love the colors, lights and composition in your latest image.

Totte, great ripples. but I if you want to make it more realistic (to better match the rest of the image), may I suggest taking the same ripples you made and layering them up on top of each other at different scales to create a more disarrayed ripples effect (in an image editor), and also adding some stray droplets (using a replicator or a surface replicator or both), unless lack of droplets and orderly ripples are part of the joke?

diomede64, for your rain, may I suggest replicating the stretched droplets above the umbrella on the umbrella itself. If you turn of "align to normals" in the surface replicator setting, you get them vertical, but you would also get them to look like they are actually making contactwith the umbrella. (move the hot point of the stretched droplet to the very bottom end of it or even a little outside for some to create more realism, then replicate them) I would also replicate some non-stretched smaller droplets with the hot point below/outside the droplet on the umbrella surface to create the bounced raindrops effect - whenever the rain is coming down hard you see the vertical spray of bounced drops off of surfaces which get hit by the rain. you can add a few droplets with different hot point setting to the same replicator - so that you don't get the all at same distance away. And for these you'd need the align to normals turned on.

I hope you guys don't object to me stopping by with these comments. if you do, please let me know and I'll stop :).

edited December 1969

Totte said:

I don't know but the joke looks like:
    - What do you call a lawyer in a shark pool?
    - A good start!

Could be, it would be a nice and short joke ;-)

The one I had in mind is a bit longer. The title is "Professional courtesy"

edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    My second WIP

Additional credits:
    Briefcase from ArchiveD

Beautiful composition, Phil !
    The very estival atmosphere is well rendered.
    Don't ask me why, but what I most admire, it's the bath towel, how do you makes that ?

edited December 1969

Beautiful composition, Phil !
    The very estival atmosphere is well rendered.

Thank you DUDU,

Don't ask me why, but what I most admire, it's the bath towel, how do you makes that ?

Do you mean the "sponge" effect or the folding ?
    The sponge effect is done with dynamic hair. I can post the settings if you wish.
    The folding is done with soft selection, rotation move and scale and, over all, a lot of patience :-).
    edited December 1969

OK, I understood, the soft selection and much of patience…
    The settings of sponge would be interesting to see, and the shader too ! ;-)

edited May 2014

OK, I understood, the soft selection and much of patience…
    The settings of sponge would be interesting to see, and the shader too ! ;-)

By the way, now that I think of it, the folding would have been far easier with the spline editor. I would recommend that route.

Here tare the settings for the dynamic hair.
    Nothing fancy, but it works.

shader3.png
    1293 x 771 - 400K
    shader2.png
    1293 x 771 - 396K
    shader1.png
    1293 x 771 - 401K
    Hair_settings.png
    1293 x 771 - 298K
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
    edited December 1969

Excellent, thanks a lot !

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Antara said:

diomede64, for your rain, may I suggest replicating the stretched droplets above the umbrella on the umbrella itself. If you turn of "align to normals" in the surface replicator setting, you get them vertical, but you would also get them to look like they are actually making contactwith the umbrella. (move the hot point of the stretched droplet to the very bottom end of it or even a little outside for some to create more realism, then replicate them) I would also replicate some non-stretched smaller droplets with the hot point below/outside the droplet on the umbrella surface to create the bounced raindrops effect - whenever the rain is coming down hard you see the vertical spray of bounced drops off of surfaces which get hit by the rain. you can add a few droplets with different hot point setting to the same replicator - so that you don't get the all at same distance away. And for these you'd need the align to normals turned on.

I hope you guys don't object to me stopping by with these comments. if you do, please let me know and I'll stop :).

Thanks for the suggestions on my rain and umbrella. I appreciate them very much and don't object at all. I will be experimenting with different object shapes, hot point locations, and replicator settings.

I think I understand Kashyyyk's concept for the challenge better now. I don't think my Bugs Bunny WIP progress will be turned into an entry because I think it is better if people don't know the joke and punchline during the WIP stage. Guessing is part of the fun. If I pursue Bugs Bunny further I will post to the more general render thread. I have another idea that better fits the challenge so I hope I can put together a WIP for that sometime this weekend.

I'm glad we have two weeks with the open entry thread. Good move, coordinator!

Great work everyone. I have my own guess about Philemo's second joke, but I will keep it to myself out of professional courtesy.

edited May 2014

I don't believe that my entry made discover the punch line, I will say the truth to the end and leave imaginations and phantasms to work!
    Make the same thing.
    And I think it's the quality of the image which is most important.

Post edited by DUDU on