Carrara Challenge IX - “The Joke is on Me" WIP Thread is Open

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited May 2014

Philemo said:
    My second WIP
    Adding the main character, some details and some passers-by.

I still have some shader tweaking to do and maybe light adjustment. Mabe some more passers-by to add a little life. Some adjustments on the book also.

Towel and book made in Carrara

Additional credits:
    Loretta and Lorenzo Lorez from Predatron.
    Briefcase from ArchiveD

you did a fantastic job on everything, especially the towel

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Emoti-guy and his shoes were retextured

This is the final render before postwork which will be a simple brush using Ron's smoke to add some detail to the clouds ;-)

ha ha great job Stezza :) Is the emoticon legless after too many coopers? :)

edited May 2014

Here's my chicken. I'm still working on the shading and I still have to rig it. The legs look off to me, but the whole body of the chicken won't show if I can frame it how I envision it. The water shader is on the cornea.

BTW, great job so far everybody!

very nice evil, I just googled world's best chicken jokes ..... you have a lot to choose from but your choice of chook is eggselent :)

DUDU_00001 great job of modelling :)

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Wow, awesome renders and Wip. I was worried with my strange concept but i think the qist of the contest is coming through with all your great works.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I have most of my non-Carrra stuff caught up now, so here's a bit more of a detailed WIP. I have to add another thing or two and also do some additional posing.

I built the chicken and the blanket in the VM, I built the egg in the Spline Modeler. The bed is a freebie from ShareCG. I'l see if I can find the link and usage rights. If not, I'll see what else I can come up with.

The shaders are all custom. The water shader is on the cornea. The only non-custom shader is on the bed headboard.

If you want any additional information, then please ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Chicken_in_bed_test.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 622K
    Picture_3.png
    775 x 508 - 121K
    Picture_2.png
    882 x 618 - 176K
    Picture_1.png
    875 x 688 - 255K
    edited December 1969

I have most of my non-Carrra stuff caught up now, so here's a bit more of a detailed WIP. I have to add another thing or two and also do some additional posing.

I built the chicken and the blanket in the VM, I built the egg in the Spline Modeler. The bed is a freebie from ShareCG. I'l see if I can find the link and usage rights. If not, I'll see what else I can come up with.

The shaders are all custom. The water shader is on the cornea. The only non-custom shader is on the bed headboard.

If you want any additional information, then please ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Ha! Cigerette and all.
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:

Ha! Cigerette and all.

I call it a cancer stick in my scene heirarchy.

I actually debated putting them in as I lost all my grandparents to smoking related health issues and I am very anti-smoking. My solution was to make them look ugly and flaccid (which also helps the post coital innuendo). ;-)

Picture_2.png
    918 x 529 - 56K
    Picture_1.png
    235 x 309 - 18K
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Ha! Cigerette and all.

I always suspected that evilproducer would drive me insane...but I have stared at his render and I cannot see the cigarette anywhere.

Mission accomplished EP! I've gone totally loopy now! Take your victory lap around Wisconsin!

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    kashyyyk said:
    Ha! Cigerette and all.

I always suspected that evilproducer would drive me insane...but I have stared at his render and I cannot see the cigarette anywhere.

Mission accomplished EP! I've gone totally loopy now! Take your victory lap around Wisconsin!

It's in the submission thread! PHEW! My world is returning to normal now...what a trip!

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Garstor said:
    kashyyyk said:
    Ha! Cigerette and all.

It's in the submission thread! PHEW! My world is returning to normal now...what a trip!

Sorry for the confusion! Hope it was a fun ride!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Garstor said:
    Garstor said:
    kashyyyk said:
    Ha! Cigerette and all.

Sorry for the confusion! Hope it was a fun ride!

Fortunately for me, both my sanity and my eyesight have been marginal for many years, so I was in no danger.

edited December 1969

To save Garstor's sanity and so that he doesn't pull out his few remaining hairs..... :P

Chicken-final.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 470K
    edited December 1969

To save Garstor's sanity and so that he doesn't pull out his few remaining hairs..... :P

I've decided to begin migrating the hairs to my chin.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

EP, great joke and execution. And, you are using the vertex modeler. Did you model in the assembly room to get the front of the blanket to lie nicely on the chicken and egg? The VM in Carrara's assembly room can be very handy.

Philemo, another great job, and very impressive towel.

I finally got around to working with some of the suggestions people gave me for rain. Here I am trying different ways to get the effect of rain bouncing off the ground and blurs. Here is a WIP that focuses on the ground level rain. It does not have any rain in the air, nor does it have any water droplets on the people's clothing or their umbrellas.

Rather than use many droplets with their hot points in different places, I created an egg-carton type object in the vertex modeler. I inserted a large grid, subdivided it several times, then used extrude without linking polygons. I then replicated water droplets on this object. I made the grid invisible. I also added a slight blur to the replicated droplets. There is also some fog at ground level.

The ground plane has another set of water droplets replicated on it. The ground plane uses the asphalt texture and bump from Dedman. Everything else is modeled and textured in Carrara.

Plan for this image is to experiment more with the ground water (vary the size of droplets, definitely add more fog, but perhaps also model some puddles). Then work on rain in the air. And then finally work on wet looks for the people, their clothes, and their umbrellas.

Very far from finished. :ohh:

bounce_wip.jpg
    640 x 480 - 35K
    bounce_wave_assembly.JPG
    861 x 533 - 94K
    bounce_wave_vertex_modeler.JPG
    654 x 449 - 81K
    edited May 2014

Neat idea diomede! Regarding the puddles, I had good luck using the spline modeler in the Bikini Car Wash picture.

I've also seen where 3dage has used shader functions in the reflection and Highlight/Shininess channels to make it look like puddles and at the same time give the impression of slight variations in elevation in the pavement. Perhaps you could ask him how he achieved the look?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/39042/P15/#574564

Edited to add that I modeled the blanket in the Assembly Room. I used soft select and the magnet tool, but found soft select gave me more control. I also used soft select to dent in the pillows to look like they've been recently been pounded int- I mean laid against. ;-)

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    EP, great joke and execution. And, you are using the vertex modeler. Did you model in the assembly room to get the front of the blanket to lie nicely on the chicken and egg? The VM in Carrara's assembly room can be very handy.

Philemo, another great job, and very impressive towel.

I finally got around to working with some of the suggestions people gave me for rain. Here I am trying different ways to get the effect of rain bouncing off the ground and blurs. Here is a WIP that focuses on the ground level rain. It does not have any rain in the air, nor does it have any water droplets on the people's clothing or their umbrellas.

Rather than use many droplets with their hot points in different places, I created an egg-carton type object in the vertex modeler. I inserted a large grid, subdivided it several times, then used extrude without linking polygons. I then replicated water droplets on this object. I made the grid invisible. I also added a slight blur to the replicated droplets. There is also some fog at ground level.

The ground plane has another set of water droplets replicated on it. The ground plane uses the asphalt texture and bump from Dedman. Everything else is modeled and textured in Carrara.

Plan for this image is to experiment more with the ground water (vary the size of droplets, definitely add more fog, but perhaps also model some puddles). Then work on rain in the air. And then finally work on wet looks for the people, their clothes, and their umbrellas.

Very far from finished. :ohh:

Neat, real cool idea!
    edited December 1969

This might be the beginning of a good idea, or I may have spent way too much time for only a few visible puddles.

I had tried some spline puddles, but then I thought the key to a good puddle in the rain is splashing. What I really want is a lot of undulating water, but not waves, I want spherical depressions and emissions, along with some extended spheres above.

This is a job for metaball!

OK, so I started with a big flattened metaball cylinder and then added a bunch of positive and negative spheres around the top of it. I assigned a water shade and now have a meta-puddle just waiting to be replicated.

The question is, how do I get an uneven ground and put puddles in the depressions? Answer, either use a terrain model and use elevation to assign the puddle or use a vertex grid, select some squares, assign them a new shading domain, and then use soft select to depress those areas. I then replicated the meta-puddle and limited it to the shading domains for the depressions.

Very clever if I do say so myself. ;-)

However, I now see that I did all that effort and the puddles beyond the figures really don't show up at all and the puddles in the foreground could just as easily been duplicated and placed there by hand.

Not so clever after all, but I will file the idea away. Maybe it will be useful for a different project sometime. :roll:

meta_puddle_render.jpg
    840 x 630 - 51K
    meta_puddle_ground.JPG
    774 x 665 - 95K
    meta_puddle_modeling.JPG
    758 x 681 - 66K
    edited December 1969

fantastic rain dioemede64!
    here's whip
    everything vertex modelled except mountain n background

Doc1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 65K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    I have another idea that better fits the challenge so I hope I can put together a WIP for that sometime this weekend.

I'm glad we have two weeks with the open entry thread. Good move, coordinator!

OK, here is a WIP for my 2nd entry. This one will have minimum custom objects, literally. I am going to try to limit myself to just 2 custom objects, and the use of the water shader. The water in the fountain is a cylinder with the water texture.

Content so far includes M4, V4, blond hair for V4 by Pretty3D, Jai hair for M4 by ArilYSH, V4 and M4 basic clothes, V4 and M4 running shoes, the millenium dog, the fountain by Jack Tomalin, and ground cover texture map by Flink.

FYI - parts of the United States use Texas A&M Aggies as the butt of jokes about country folk and people of less intelligence. The logo for Texas A&M is on the shirt of the blonde woman.

1_tennis_ball_joke.jpg
    640 x 480 - 59K
    edited December 1969

Nice work diomede. Don't forget to fix the Highlight/Shininess issue with the hair!

Here's the first WIP for my second entry. The sub was a freebie by DAZ that I got sometime ago. It may have been retired. I've added three metaball emitters parented to the sub so far.

I've added the ocean to a replicator. I still have to decide how to get a big splash. I have ideas that I'm going to try.

I'm including a test render for the particles, shading and lighting.

Submarine.jpg
    640 x 480 - 119K
    Picture_2.png
    987 x 748 - 406K
    Picture_1.png
    249 x 338 - 23K
    edited December 1969

Here is the second WIP for the blonde Aggie joke. Here are some screen shots of using the vertex modeler to make a morph for the M4 shorts for a tennis ball in his pocket. And here is a screenshot of using the circular wave modifier for primitive cylinder water in the fountain. Note - I have replaced M4's hair with Timeless Male Hair by Goldtassel and I have replaced the terrain with Dartanbeck's environmental woodlands kit.

So, I have entirely used 3rd party content, with the exception of customizing the V4 sports bra by using 3D paint, customizing the M4 shorts by using the vertex modeler to make a tennis ball morph, and I applied the water shader to a cylinder which I fit to the fountain and applied a circular wave modifier.

Just another of self-created goals - this month I wanted to have one entry in which I made everything, but another entry in which I relied as much as possible on 3rd party content available from Daz or Daz merchants.

Great job running the challenge this month, Kashyyyk.

And good luck to all the participants.

fountain_water.JPG
    584 x 446 - 62K
    morph_for_pants.JPG
    654 x 607 - 86K
    edited December 1969

Well, I had a rather lengthy entry for my second WIP of my second entry, but in the middle of my post I was logged out and I couldn't recover what I typed. :blank:

So here's the truncated version of what I wrote. If I'm to vague and you have questions let me know.

Blah, blah, blah, added more replicators, blah, blah, adjusted metaball influences and emission cubes for different looking splashes, blah, blah, blah.

I'm blah, blah, rendering with skylight and caustics, blah, blah. I'm also rendering a low res version of the IR map to help with calculations on the full res blah, blah, blah.

Any questions? ;-)

While typing this a thunder storm is moving in and I've lost my 'net connection, so it looks as if I'll have to copy and paste this into a locally stored text document and enter it later. Yippy! :blank:

Picture_6.png
    980 x 759 - 110K
    Picture_5.png
    978 x 747 - 109K
    Picture_4.png
    989 x 748 - 109K
    Picture_3.png
    825 x 518 - 127K
    edited May 2014

Interesting....

I added a volumetric cloud and now I get moire patterns on the sub when rendering the low-res version. I suspect it is the caustics, but I'll try the high res version and see what I get. I increased the shadow accuracy on the clouds, but as I said, I wonder if it's the caustics. If worse comes to worse, I can always render it in layers.

Picture_7.png
    508 x 258 - 167K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    fantastic rain dioemede64!
    here's whip
    everything vertex modelled except mountain n background

aha!

so it's you who has nicked all the snow from Perisher!.. and causing this extended summer...

looking good ;-)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited May 2014

Nice work diomede. Don't forget to fix the Highlight/Shininess issue with the hair!

Here's the first WIP for my second entry. The sub was a freebie by DAZ that I got sometime ago. It may have been retired. I've added three metaball emitters parented to the sub so far.

I've added the ocean to a replicator. I still have to decide how to get a big splash. I have ideas that I'm going to try.

great looking sub..

if it was red I'd know exactly what the joke is... but not sure with it being blue.. hmmm

also I'm sure the chicken came first.. the egg was only breathing heavy ;-)

Post edited by Stezza on
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

Not sure I'll have the time to finish it, but I'll try a second entry.

It happens in a beer brewery. For now, what's left of the joke will stay a mystery :-)

Anyhow, I've used Nobiax modular building to create the room. Also form Nobix are the pipes in the background.
    The kettle, the vat, the platform, the stair (the last two are not finished yet) are created in Carrara in the vertex room.

As usual, I'm still battling with lighting, but I'm sure I'll end up with something :-)

Doc3.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:

great looking sub..

if it was red I'd know exactly what the joke is... but not sure with it being blue.. hmmm

also I'm sure the chicken came first.. the egg was only breathing heavy ;-)

The blue color is due to a slight reflection I added to the metal.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

I'm going along with this WIP.
    I've added some rails to the platform and the stairs I've also added sides to the stairs.

I also have to work a little with the kettle shader (I'm not very happy with the colour).

My problem here is to have the spilled beer look more like beer than processed beer (if you see what I mean like ;-) ). I'll try a little more orange.

Lighting is part from the windows glow channel (with GI on) and some spots giving highlights.

Doc4.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Well, I put in my second entry. We'll see how it does. :coolgrin:

Great job everybody! Thanks to kashyyyk for hosting it. Sorry your computer crapped out during the middle of the thing!

Thanks also to DAZ and Sadot for sponsoring this challenge!

Remember, if you've started something, hurry up and finish it! The more the merrier!

edited May 2014

heh, i am laughing :)

thanks Stezza, :)

here is my second wip (before post) and almost finished image (after post work) . House is floating in corner, but no one will notice. ;)

Joke is; "one snowman turns to another and says "do you smell (insert word here)...."

finnie.jpg
    2000 x 1404 - 500K
    finnie-andrew-wip1.jpg
    2000 x 1404 - 384K