[Released] Render Doctor [Commercial]

Comments

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,369

This looks like quite a useful product! For my NPR work I do a series of render passes, and before each render a different shader has to be added to every object in the scene - three different shaders and three different render passes. Does anyone who has this product know if Render Doctor can do that? From the description, it sounds like it probably can, but I wanted to make sure before purchasing it. If anyone who has it could verify that it can do that, I'd really appreciate it! :D

Thanks!

Are the shaders material presets?  Then yes, it can do that.  If they are not (i.e., you have to go and select the surface you want from the Surfaces pane before applying the shader), then no, I don't think it will work.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

This looks like quite a useful product! For my NPR work I do a series of render passes, and before each render a different shader has to be added to every object in the scene - three different shaders and three different render passes. Does anyone who has this product know if Render Doctor can do that? From the description, it sounds like it probably can, but I wanted to make sure before purchasing it. If anyone who has it could verify that it can do that, I'd really appreciate it! :D

Thanks!

Are the shaders material presets?  Then yes, it can do that.  If they are not (i.e., you have to go and select the surface you want from the Surfaces pane before applying the shader), then no, I don't think it will work.

Oh no - that's a bummer! What about if I set up the scene so that all of the objects are already selected? Could Render Doctor be set up to apply a shader to the selected items?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,148

I was hoping "Render a Series of Presets Easily render a series of images by MIXING and MATCHING presets in a scene." meant any kind of preset. I'm particularly interested in Render Settings presets. Does "Presets" in that phrase mean only material presets?

Thanks!

Oh no - that's a bummer! What about if I set up the scene so that all of the objects are already selected? Could Render Doctor be set up to apply a shader to the selected items?

That would probably work.  The Render Doctor has no problem selecting objects.  However, it does not know the surfaces that need to be selected.

barbult said:

I was hoping "Render a Series of Presets Easily render a series of images by MIXING and MATCHING presets in a scene." meant any kind of preset. I'm particularly interested in Render Settings presets. Does "Presets" in that phrase mean only material presets?

No, it is not only material presets.  Render Settings presets are no problem.

barbult said:

OK! That is great to know. Thanks.

Thanks!

That would probably work.  The Render Doctor has no problem selecting objects.  However, it does not know the surfaces that need to be selected.

Oh awesome! That sounds like it could work then. So making sure that all of the objects in the scene are selected in both the scene tab and surfaces tab, I SHOULD (hopefully?) be able to tell Render Doctor to apply like "Shader A" then render, then apply "Shader B", then render, etc, yes? Oh I hope that's the case, being able to automate the different render passes I need would be a big time saver.

barbult said:
    barbult said:

OK! That is great to know. Thanks.

You're welcome!

Thanks!

Oh awesome! That sounds like it could work then. So making sure that all of the objects in the scene are selected in both the scene tab and surfaces tab, I SHOULD (hopefully?) be able to tell Render Doctor to apply like "Shader A" then render, then apply "Shader B", then render, etc, yes? Oh I hope that's the case, being able to automate the different render passes I need would be a big time saver.

Yes, that is the case.  Make sure to specify no recovery action (the recovery action tells RD what to do after every preset (nothing, undo, or reload scene).  And if it doesn't work, let me know and I will make sure it does. 

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

Does Render Doctor support Render Style = Scripted 3Delight & associated choices for Render Script? 

BTW, thanks for all your great products!

FirePro9 said:

Does Render Doctor support Render Style = Scripted 3Delight & associated choices for Render Script? 

No, it does not.

(and you're welcome!)

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455
    FirePro9 said:

No, it does not.

(and you're welcome!)

Okay, too bad for me.  So fyi, "Render Any Style" is not quite correct.  I guess a script calling a script is not possible, but if there is a way to get Scripted 3Delight to work with Render Doctor that would be great.

I've been struggling to do Render Settings Presets. I keep getting an error about no node selected. I didn't understand that I had to select something in the Scene pane, because Render Settings Presets don't have any dependency on the scene contents. Finally I figured out that if I select something in the Scene pane, the Render Doctor will run. It is going through the steps now, and I think it is working. I hope this helps someone else who may run into this problem.

Questions about Favorites: I clicked on an empty favorite square in the top bar. I decided I didn't really want to save one, so I clicked on Cancel. Render Doctor started rendering a thumbnail for that favorite square, even though I had canceled. I canceled the render. I ended up with a red heart in that favorite square. Is it a bug that it rendered a thumbnail and evidently saved a favorite, even though I hit cancel?

Thanks!

Yes, that is the case.  Make sure to specify no recovery action (the recovery action tells RD what to do after every preset (nothing, undo, or reload scene).  And if it doesn't work, let me know and I will make sure it does. 

Excellent! Thank you very much! I'm grabbing this today then and am very much looking forward to working with it! :D

barbult said:

I've been struggling to do Render Settings Presets. I keep getting an error about no node selected. I didn't understand that I had to select something in the Scene pane, because Render Settings Presets don't have any dependency on the scene contents. Finally I figured out that if I select something in the Scene pane, the Render Doctor will run. It is going through the steps now, and I think it is working. I hope this helps someone else who may run into this problem.

Ah, good point.  I will have to think about how to fix that.

FirePro9 said:
    FirePro9 said:

No, it does not.

(and you're welcome!)

Okay, too bad for me.  So fyi, "Render Any Style" is not quite correct.  I guess a script calling a script is not possible, but if there is a way to get Scripted 3Delight to work with Render Doctor that would be great.

I can look into it.  Because I do not usually do 3Delight, to me 3Dlelight and Scripted 3Delight are equivalent since they are using the same renderer.

barbult said:

Questions about Favorites: I clicked on an empty favorite square in the top bar. I decided I didn't really want to save one, so I clicked on Cancel. Render Doctor started rendering a thumbnail for that favorite square, even though I had canceled. I canceled the render. I ended up with a red heart in that favorite square. Is it a bug that it rendered a thumbnail and evidently saved a favorite, even though I hit cancel?

No, it is not a bug. The cancel is for the thumbnail render and allows you to quit the render before it is entirely completed; the favorite has already been created by that time.  You can delete it later though.

Thanks!

Excellent! Thank you very much! I'm grabbing this today then and am very much looking forward to working with it! :D

Thank YOU. smiley  Please post here and let me know how it goes.

barbult said:

No, it is not a bug. The cancel is for the thumbnail render and allows you to quit the render before it is entirely completed; the favorite has already been created by that time.  You can delete it later though.

I did delete it. I had to dig through the manual, but I found the instructions for deleting and overwriting favorites. So far, I've had a little trouble understanding the interface, but I think I an getting the hang of it now. It is working well.
    barbult said:

Hmmm. Thinking about this some more, I hadn't even entered a description in the dialog box when I hit the dialog Cancel button. It doesn't seem like it should have saved anything or started rendering at all since I canceled the dialog. What is the purpose of the cancel button, if it creates the favorite and starts rendering a thumbnail anyway? Because it started rendering, I had to cancel a second time in the render dialog.
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Hmmm. Thinking about this some more, I hadn't even entered a description in the dialog box when I hit the dialog Cancel button. It doesn't seem like it should have saved anything or started rendering at all since I canceled the dialog. What is the purpose of the cancel button, if it creates the favorite and starts rendering a thumbnail anyway? Because it started rendering, I had to cancel a second time in the render dialog.

Render Doctor renders a thumbnail using Iray.  The cancel button allows you to stop the render early.

edited July 2020
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Render Doctor renders a thumbnail using Iray.  The cancel button allows you to stop the render early.

I know, and that is handy, but I am not asking about the cancel button in the render dialog. I am asking about the cancel button the Render Doctor dialog titled Create Favorite, which comes up as soon as I click one of the favorite squares. It has two buttons, Accept and Cancel. But I don't see a difference between them. If I click Cancel in that dialog, it creates a favorite and starts a thumbnail render anyway, just as if I had clicked Accept. 

Screenshot 2020-07-30 22.53.56.png
    226 x 139 - 14K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited July 2020

I'm having another Favorites problem. It does not seem to save and restore the camera selection on any of the tabs (Render Cameras, Render Presets, Render Scenes, Render Nodes). I saved a favorite with all of those set to Current Camera, but when I apply that favorite, it does not change them back to Current Camera.

barbult said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

I know, and that is handy, but I am not asking about the cancel button in the render dialog. I am asking about the cancel button the Render Doctor dialog titled Create Favorite, which comes up as soon as I click one of the favorite squares. It has two buttons, Accept and Cancel. But I don't see a difference between them. If I click Cancel in that dialog, it creates a favorite and starts a thumbnail render anyway, just as if I had clicked Accept. 

Ah! (the light dawns)  Ok, that is a bug and I will look at it.

barbult said:

I'm having another Favorites problem. It does not seem to save and restore the camera selection on any of the tabs (Render Cameras, Render Presets, Render Scenes, Render Nodes). I saved a favorite with all of those set to Current Camera, but when I apply that favorite, it does not change them back to Current Camera.

I will see if I can figure something out.  The favorites save the checkboxes, not the radio buttons.  Therefore, the favorite is saving the current camera (left, right, perspective, etc) when you create the favorite.  Loading the favorite later is pulling back in left, right, perspective, etc.

I'm having a problem getting multiple presets to work. I tried to follow the manual instructions about pre and post actions. When I run the simulated render, it errors out every time. The Render Doctor log doesn't give me any clue about what the problem is. Finally, I thought to look in the Daz Studio log and I get the attached information, which still doesn't help me figure out what is wrong. It says there is a script error. Can you help me figure out what the problem is, please?

txt
    txt
    Render Doctor Error.txt
    Screenshot 2020-07-31 12.20.59.png
    1271 x 1136 - 162K
    Scene Contents.png
    529 x 640 - 34K
    edited July 2020

I'm still exploring with the Render Presets tab. I can't find any description of what the various Pre-Load Actions do. There are several that have "and frame" in the name, like "Select All and Frame". I guessed that that would frame the camera on the selected item(s), but that doesn't seem to happen. So, what do "select and frame" actions do that the "select" actions don't do? Thanks in advance for your continued support.

Edit: I see now that the Post-Load Actions have the same kind of options for "select" or "select and frame". I don't understand the difference or when they should be used as Post-Load Actions, either.

barbult said:

I'm having a problem getting multiple presets to work. I tried to follow the manual instructions about pre and post actions. When I run the simulated render, it errors out every time. The Render Doctor log doesn't give me any clue about what the problem is. Finally, I thought to look in the Daz Studio log and I get the attached information, which still doesn't help me figure out what is wrong. It says there is a script error. Can you help me figure out what the problem is, please?

Ok, I have a bug there.  I will fix it.  If you try to actually render it, does it work (you can do a wireframe for the render if you want it to just be a quick test)?

barbult said:

I'm still exploring with the Render Presets tab. I can't find any description of what the various Pre-Load Actions do. There are several that have "and frame" in the name, like "Select All and Frame". I guessed that that would frame the camera on the selected item(s), but that doesn't seem to happen. So, what do "select and frame" actions do that the "select" actions don't do? Thanks in advance for your continued support.

Edit: I see now that the Post-Load Actions have the same kind of options for "select" or "select and frame". I don't understand the difference or when they should be used as Post-Load Actions, either.

The "And Frame" means to have the frame the camera on the selected item.  This is pre LOADing the preset.  If there is also a POST loading action which moves the camera (after the preset has been applied), it may be too fast for you to see.