[Released] Render Doctor [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    barbult said:

I'm having a problem getting multiple presets to work. I tried to follow the manual instructions about pre and post actions. When I run the simulated render, it errors out every time. The Render Doctor log doesn't give me any clue about what the problem is. Finally, I thought to look in the Daz Studio log and I get the attached information, which still doesn't help me figure out what is wrong. It says there is a script error. Can you help me figure out what the problem is, please?

Ok, I have a bug there.  I will fix it.  If you try to actually render it, does it work (you can do a wireframe for the render if you want it to just be a quick test)?

No, it does not render. I still get the error. It seems like Post-Load Action DO NOT RENDER never works at all. Until you can fix it, is there any workaround to be able to apply multiple presets?

edited July 2020
    barbult said:

I'm still exploring with the Render Presets tab. I can't find any description of what the various Pre-Load Actions do. There are several that have "and frame" in the name, like "Select All and Frame". I guessed that that would frame the camera on the selected item(s), but that doesn't seem to happen. So, what do "select and frame" actions do that the "select" actions don't do? Thanks in advance for your continued support.

Edit: I see now that the Post-Load Actions have the same kind of options for "select" or "select and frame". I don't understand the difference or when they should be used as Post-Load Actions, either.

The "And Frame" means to have the frame the camera on the selected item.  This is pre LOADing the preset.  If there is also a POST loading action which moves the camera (after the preset has been applied), it may be too fast for you to see.

That is what I guessed, (that it would frame the camera on the selected item). I used it in the Pre-Load Action. When it rendered, the camera was not framed on the selected item. See attached images. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for continuing to help. I know you are busy.

Edit: When I select and frame as a Post Load Action, it doesn't work as I expect either. The render looks like it is framed on the item originally selected in the Scene pane, not the item label I specified in either the Pre-Load Action or the Post Load Action.  See the images attached to the next message.

Screenshot 2020-07-31 17.22.08.png
    1198 x 1117 - 134K
    Screenshot 2020-07-31 17.22.32.png
    1198 x 1117 - 132K
    Pre Action Frame Test 07 bowl mat 03 Texture Shaded BowlSmall Top View (1000 x 1000) 1.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 20K
    Pre Action Frame Test 07 bowl mat 03 Texture Shaded BowlSmall Front View (1000 x 1000) 1.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 19K
    Pre Action Frame Test 07 bowl mat 01 Texture Shaded BowlSmall Top View (1000 x 1000) 2.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 20K
    Pre Action Frame Test 07 bowl mat 01 Texture Shaded BowlSmall Front View (1000 x 1000) 2.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 19K
    Pre Action Frame Test 08 vase mat 05 Texture Shaded BowlSmall Top View (1000 x 1000) 4.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 22K
    Pre Action Frame Test 08 vase mat 05 Texture Shaded BowlSmall Front View (1000 x 1000) 4.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 22K
    Pre Action Frame Test 08 vase mat 01 Texture Shaded BowlSmall Top View (1000 x 1000) 3.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 23K
    Pre Action Frame Test 08 vase mat 01 Texture Shaded BowlSmall Front View (1000 x 1000) 3.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 25K
    Post edited by barbult on

Here are the images for the Post-Load Action, where it looks like the item selected in the Scene pane before running the Render Doctor script is the thing that is framed, not the thing selected by label in the Render Doctor script.

Screenshot 2020-07-31 17.47.49.png
    1198 x 1123 - 134K
    Post Action Frame Test 2 07 bowl mat 03 Texture Shaded Vase Top View (1000 x 1000) 1.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 82K
    Post Action Frame Test 2 07 bowl mat 03 Texture Shaded Vase Front View (1000 x 1000) 1.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 54K
    Post Action Frame Test 2 07 bowl mat 01 Texture Shaded Vase Top View (1000 x 1000) 2.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 82K
    Post Action Frame Test 2 07 bowl mat 01 Texture Shaded Vase Front View (1000 x 1000) 2.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 54K
    Post Action Frame Test 2 08 vase mat 05 Texture Shaded Vase Top View (1000 x 1000) 4.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 82K
    Post Action Frame Test 2 08 vase mat 05 Texture Shaded Vase Front View (1000 x 1000) 4.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 54K
    Post Action Frame Test 2 08 vase mat 01 Texture Shaded Vase Top View (1000 x 1000) 3.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 111K
    Post Action Frame Test 2 08 vase mat 01 Texture Shaded Vase Front View (1000 x 1000) 3.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 73K

I think I found another Render Doctor bug. I am trying the Render Nodes tab. When the Render Settings aspect ratio differs from the aspect ratio of the resolution selected in the Render Options section, there is a problem with the framing of the first render of the series. All of the subsequent renders in the series seem to be framed correctly.

In this example,  I have a scene with a single G8F. I select her and her head as nodes in the Scene Pane. The aspect ratio selected in Render Settings pane is 10:13. The aspect ratio of the render, selected in the Render Doctor is 1:1. The first image that is rendered in this series is the G8F front view hidden line. You can see in the attached images that it is not framed the same way as the later G8F front view smooth shaded render. G8F is smaller in the hidden line render than in the later smooth shaded render.

Render Settings Aspect 10-13.png
    1235 x 800 - 218K
    Screenshot 2020-07-31 18.25.15.png
    1198 x 1123 - 130K
    Screenshot 2020-07-31 18.25.28.png
    1198 x 1123 - 112K
    Test render Nodes Hidden Line Genesis 8 Female Front View (1000 x 1000) 1.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 68K
    Test render Nodes Hidden Line Genesis 8 Female Top View (1000 x 1000) 1.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 73K
    Test render Nodes Hidden Line Head Front View (1000 x 1000) 2.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 201K
    Test render Nodes Hidden Line Head Top View (1000 x 1000) 2.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 197K
    Test render Nodes Smooth Shaded Genesis 8 Female Front View (1000 x 1000) 3.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 39K
    Test render Nodes Smooth Shaded Genesis 8 Female Top View (1000 x 1000) 3.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 31K
    Test render Nodes Smooth Shaded Head Front View (1000 x 1000) 4.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 46K
    Test render Nodes Smooth Shaded Head Top View (1000 x 1000) 4.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 45K
  • RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,369
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

I'm having a problem getting multiple presets to work. I tried to follow the manual instructions about pre and post actions. When I run the simulated render, it errors out every time. The Render Doctor log doesn't give me any clue about what the problem is. Finally, I thought to look in the Daz Studio log and I get the attached information, which still doesn't help me figure out what is wrong. It says there is a script error. Can you help me figure out what the problem is, please?

Ok, I have a bug there.  I will fix it.  If you try to actually render it, does it work (you can do a wireframe for the render if you want it to just be a quick test)?

No, it does not render. I still get the error. It seems like Post-Load Action DO NOT RENDER never works at all. Until you can fix it, is there any workaround to be able to apply multiple presets?

Ok, I will look at it today.

barbult said:
    barbult said:

I'm still exploring with the Render Presets tab. I can't find any description of what the various Pre-Load Actions do. There are several that have "and frame" in the name, like "Select All and Frame". I guessed that that would frame the camera on the selected item(s), but that doesn't seem to happen. So, what do "select and frame" actions do that the "select" actions don't do? Thanks in advance for your continued support.

Edit: I see now that the Post-Load Actions have the same kind of options for "select" or "select and frame". I don't understand the difference or when they should be used as Post-Load Actions, either.

The "And Frame" means to have the frame the camera on the selected item.  This is pre LOADing the preset.  If there is also a POST loading action which moves the camera (after the preset has been applied), it may be too fast for you to see.

That is what I guessed, (that it would frame the camera on the selected item). I used it in the Pre-Load Action. When it rendered, the camera was not framed on the selected item. See attached images. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for continuing to help. I know you are busy.

Edit: When I select and frame as a Post Load Action, it doesn't work as I expect either. The render looks like it is framed on the item originally selected in the Scene pane, not the item label I specified in either the Pre-Load Action or the Post Load Action.  See the images attached to the next message.

barbult said:

Here are the images for the Post-Load Action, where it looks like the item selected in the Scene pane before running the Render Doctor script is the thing that is framed, not the thing selected by label in the Render Doctor script.

You are going to keep me busy! smiley  First off, did you restart Render Doctor before trying this?  If there is a problem in the script like your last thing, it might make the script unstable from that point forward.  Also, can I see the Daz log?

barbult said:

I think I found another Render Doctor bug. I am trying the Render Nodes tab. When the Render Settings aspect ratio differs from the aspect ratio of the resolution selected in the Render Options section, there is a problem with the framing of the first render of the series. All of the subsequent renders in the series seem to be framed correctly.

In this example,  I have a scene with a single G8F. I select her and her head as nodes in the Scene Pane. The aspect ratio selected in Render Settings pane is 10:13. The aspect ratio of the render, selected in the Render Doctor is 1:1. The first image that is rendered in this series is the G8F front view hidden line. You can see in the attached images that it is not framed the same way as the later G8F front view smooth shaded render. G8F is smaller in the hidden line render than in the later smooth shaded render.

I will check into this too.  However, this one might not be fixable.  The script calls a DS function to frame things.  If the script selected everything properly (this is what I need to check), it would mean the DS function has a bug.

edited August 2020
    barbult said:

I will check into this too.  However, this one might not be fixable.  The script calls a DS function to frame things.  If the script selected everything properly (this is what I need to check), it would mean the DS function has a bug.

The function works correctly on every render in the sequence of renders EXCEPT the first one, and only when there is a discrepancy between the Render Settings aspect ratio and the Render Doctor render aspect ratio. Maybe there is a loop initialization error or something. I hope you can find and fix the problem.

Edit: another possibility is that the first render framing is correct and all the others are wrong. I just know that they are different. I assumed the ones that were all the same were correct and the anomaly was wrong. That could have been a bad assumption.

barbult said:
    barbult said:

barbult said:

You are going to keep me busy! smiley  First off, did you restart Render Doctor before trying this?  If there is a problem in the script like your last thing, it might make the script unstable from that point forward.  Also, can I see the Daz log?

Yes, it looks like I will continue to keep you busy. When I get a new product like this, I check it out thoroughly, to understand what it can do and how that will be helpful to me. Along the way, problems appear. I am like a magic magnet for problems! sad

I have now rebooted the computer and started Render Doctor again. I added a G8F, so now I have the vase, the bowl and G8F. I selected G8F in the Scene pane. In Render Doctor I told it to load material presets for the vase and bowl. I have Pre-Load Action set to Select by label and the Post-Load Action set to Select by label and Frame. In every case, it applied the preset to the correct item, but it framed the render on G8F instead of the item the Render Doctor was told to frame on. That makes the renders worthless, because they are all of G8F and not the vase or bowl. 

I have attached screenshots of the Render Doctor tabs settings I used. I attached a screenshot of the viewport showing what was selected and how the items were placed. I attached the Daz Studio log of this operation. I attached one of the resulting renders showing that presets were applied but object framing is on the wrong object (G8F).

Screenshot 2020-08-01 12.44.24.png
    1198 x 1123 - 139K
    Screenshot 2020-08-01 12.44.41.png
    1198 x 1123 - 112K
    Screenshot 2020-08-01 12.44.47.png
    1198 x 1123 - 135K
    Bowl Vase and G8F Viewport.png
    1205 x 644 - 489K
    txt
    txt
    Daz Studio Log - Render Doctor Frame G8F not Bowl and Vase.txt
    Test select and frame 07 bowl mat 01 Texture Shaded Genesis 8 Female Front View (500 x 375) 4.jpg
    500 x 375 - 24K

Here's a new issue. The manual says "Pro Tip: Create a custom action for Render Doctor. Then you can select presets in the Smart Content FILES tab or the Content Library tab. Start Render Doctor from the action and it will automatically allow you to add those presets to the list." For me, that works only from the Content Library tab. If I select a preset in the Smart Content Files tab and open Render Doctor from the custom action, it just opens Render Doctor normally and does not ask if I want to add the selected preset.

I noticed that Iray JPEG renders created by Render Doctor are much smaller (in Bytes) than renders of the same scene rendered with other methods. Is Render Doctor using a higher than normal JPEG compression? From a distance, the images look almost the same, but Render Doctor JPEGs have more compression artifacts than the others when examined closely.

Example 1:

Render to New Window - 409 KB
    Render Direct to File - 409 KB
    Man Firday's Render Queue - 409 KB
    Render Doctor - 78 KB

Example 2:

Render to New Window - 784 KB
    RenderDirect to File - 784 KB
    Man Friday's Render Queue - 784 KB
    Render Doctor - 206 KB

barbult said:

Here's a new issue. The manual says "Pro Tip: Create a custom action for Render Doctor. Then you can select presets in the Smart Content FILES tab or the Content Library tab. Start Render Doctor from the action and it will automatically allow you to add those presets to the list." For me, that works only from the Content Library tab. If I select a preset in the Smart Content Files tab and open Render Doctor from the custom action, it just opens Render Doctor normally and does not ask if I want to add the selected preset.

Huh.  I am unable to reproduce this.  sad    Are you sure you are selecting presets from the Smart Content FILES tab and not files from the Smart Content PRODUCTS tab?

barbult said:

I noticed that Iray JPEG renders created by Render Doctor are much smaller (in Bytes) than renders of the same scene rendered with other methods. Is Render Doctor using a higher than normal JPEG compression? From a distance, the images look almost the same, but Render Doctor JPEGs have more compression artifacts than the others when examined closely.

Example 1:

Render to New Window - 409 KB
    Render Direct to File - 409 KB
    Man Firday's Render Queue - 409 KB
    Render Doctor - 78 KB

Example 2:

Render to New Window - 784 KB
    RenderDirect to File - 784 KB
    Man Friday's Render Queue - 784 KB
    Render Doctor - 206 KB

I am using whatever DS uses from the script interface.  At this point, I do not even know HOW to set the compression value.  The script is passing a JPG filename to the save command, and it is choosing.  I will have to look into it.

edited August 2020

Ok, I believe I have fixed the framing issue and the selection issue.  I sent you an email @barbult

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
    edited August 2020
    barbult said:

Huh.  I am unable to reproduce this.  sad    Are you sure you are selecting presets from the Smart Content FILES tab and not files from the Smart Content PRODUCTS tab?

Pretty sure, because I did take note of the "FILES" in the manual, but I could easily have made a mistake. I'll try again and let you know.

Edit: No, I was definitely on the Files tab. I attached a video below.

Ok, I believe I have fixed the framing issue and the selection issue.  I sent you an email @barbult

I haven't received an email yet, but I'm excited to hear that you've already been able to fix some things! You certainly are one of the best PAs about helping customers and maintaining your products.

I made a video of what happens when I select a preset in the Smart Content files tab and activate the Render Doctor custom action. It just opens Render Doctor, but doesn't add the preset. Then in the video, I do it from the Content Library tab, and it works. Did you by any chance have the preset selected in both the Content Library  and Smart Content at the same time? The video is in my Dropbox, so I hope this link works for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/etbnzpq0wlpap6w/Render Doctor Custom Action.mp4?dl=0

barbult said:

I haven't received an email yet, but I'm excited to hear that you've already been able to fix some things! You certainly are one of the best PAs about helping customers and maintaining your products.

Thank you for the kind words.  I sent it to the bv gmail account; is that still yours?

barbult said:

I made a video of what happens when I select a preset in the Smart Content files tab and activate the Render Doctor custom action. It just opens Render Doctor, but doesn't add the preset. Then in the video, I do it from the Content Library tab, and it works. Did you by any chance have the preset selected in both the Content Library  and Smart Content at the same time? The video is in my Dropbox, so I hope this link works for you.

Huh, I will have to add a bunch of log messages and ask you to send me the log.  I will try and send an update later.

barbult said:

Huh, I will have to add a bunch of log messages and ask you to send me the log.  I will try and send an update later.

Actually, looking at your video again, I am pretty sure what happened.  The script searches for EITHER the Content Pane or the Smart Content Pane.  If both are available (usually, I have Content Pane and Smart Content pane in the same tabbed notebook so only one is available at a time), it prioritizes the content pane, which in your case is originally empty.  I will have to rewrite it for your case.

barbult said:

Actually, looking at your video again, I am pretty sure what happened.  The script searches for EITHER the Content Pane or the Smart Content Pane.  If both are available (usually, I have Content Pane and Smart Content pane in the same tabbed notebook so only one is available at a time), it prioritizes the content pane, which in your case is originally empty.  I will have to rewrite it for your case.

You have figured it out!  I switched from the Content Library pane to the Simulation Settings pane in my left dock. Now selecting and adding a preset to Render Doctor from Smart Content files works correctly. If you can make it work for my type of layout, that would be great.

I normally have both Content Library and Smart Content open, because you can drag and drop from Content Library into Smart Content to assign categories. If they are in the same dock, that doesn't work (as far as I can tell). 

barbult said:

Thank you for the kind words.  I sent it to the bv gmail account; is that still yours?

I haven't changed my email address, but I didn't get anything from you. I checked Gmail junk folder and all the other folders that it likes to sort things into (Promotions, Updates, etc.). Maybe there was a typo in the email address or maybe the message was too big (if there was a large attachment). I will send you a PM with the correct email address, just in case.

barbult said:
    barbult said:

You have figured it out!  I switched from the Content Library pane to the Simulation Settings pane in my left dock. Now selecting and adding a preset to Render Doctor from Smart Content files works correctly. If you can make it work for my type of layout, that would be great.

I normally have both Content Library and Smart Content open, because you can drag and drop from Content Library into Smart Content to assign categories. If they are in the same dock, that doesn't work (as far as I can tell). 

I didn't know that.  Very useful.  I will look into it. 

I sent you an email and a PM.

barbult said:
    barbult said:

I got them both, thank you.

• generic comment .. not only for this product but all complex items that come with a pdf 
    It would be so nice to be able to download the pdf and really see what an item does. 
    Okay, I'm old.. I remember RTFM in fact I taught myself 5 programing languages one year just from the manuals.

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,008
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Now that is a nugget I was not expecting in this thread. I need to try that: actually I need to remember to try that.

Now there's an idea for a product: Memory Doctor, that goes through your content, picks out items to use (at random or according to some rule), allows notes for guidance and reminds you why you bought the b****y thing in the first place.

James_H said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Now that is a nugget I was not expecting in this thread. I need to try that: actually I need to remember to try that.

Now there's an idea for a product: Memory Doctor, that goes through your content, picks out items to use (at random or according to some rule), allows notes for guidance and reminds you why you bought the b****y thing in the first place.

You can also drag and drop from one area of the Content Library into another area of the Content Library, like drag a prop down into a category, but I find that difficult. It is much easier for me to drag from one pane to the other pane. Try both and see what works best for you.

generic comment .. not only for this product but all complex items that come with a pdf 
    It would be so nice to be able to download the pdf and really see what an item does. 
    Okay, I'm old.. I remember RTFM in fact I taught myself 5 programing languages one year just from the manuals.

For some products, I seem to remember Daz putting the PDF in the Readme link.  Here is the manual.

pdf
    pdf
    Render Doctor User Manual.pdf
    3M
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Thanks RiversoftArt.

Render Doctor saved me a ton of time and more doing my thumbnails.

one request, can si,ulation be off by default in a future update?  thanks

Mattymanx said:

Thanks RiversoftArt.

Render Doctor saved me a ton of time and more doing my thumbnails.

one request, can si,ulation be off by default in a future update?  thanks

I am glad it helped!  Let me know if there is something else you would like to see.

Good point!  It was supposed to be off by default but I forgot.  And since the script remembers my settings... :-)  I will have it off by default in a future update, though you won't see it for the same reason I didn't.