The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited October 2020
    kyoto kid said:

...complaint of my own.  

Living on the fringe between a fiarly affluent and sketchy area of town has it's issues.  Tonight as I approached my building, I noticed a rather "questionable" looking individual hanging out by the front door just off to the side.  After two residents used their sensor keys to unlock the door and enter, he waited until the door almost closed before rushing up and slipping in.  Usually, when I see such people hanging out near the door, I hold back and wait rather than go up to enter as I don't want to let them "ghost" in behind me.  Most of the time if no one enters, they usually give up and leave.  

Will have to speak to management about this tomorrow.

Yeah, at work a couple years ago, was going with a friend into a building having some secure skifs on a different campus...in a different state...at a different altitude...for a different reason...having nothing to do with national security...or anything untoward, scary, or dangerous...well, almost not.

...but I digress.  Some dude tried to slip in behind us, and upon not hearing the 3rd "beep" of a badge after his and mine, my friend turned around and told him that he needed to badge in or we would call security.  Let me tell you, even if you are an employee and even if you have security and just forgot your badge/credentials, you could get arrested, jailed, or even fired by doing that.

Dude apologized, pulled out his badge, and swiped.  "Beep and Green Light" so no problem, he was an employee.  But my friend and I weren't from that location, we never would have known whether or not dude was just some rando out mountain hiking, collecting agates or arrowheads. Or for a stroll on the beach picking up seashells.  Or just riding a baby burro around in the area looking for lunch.

You should definitely report Dude to management.  You never know, he could be a ne'erdowell getting ready to do ne'erdowell stuff, like burglary, robbing residents, or violence.  Situational awareness can't always keep you safe, but it CAN give you precious time to be able to keep yourself safe.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452
    edited October 2020

Sunday's non-complaint:  Music to DAZ by.   For some reason this morning I went looking through my music collection for some violin music.  To be truthful, I'm not really a fan of violin solos, and find most of them jarring to my brain and nervous system, like fingernails on a blackboard or chewing aluminum foil.  On the other hand, masses of violins, violas & cellos as support in an orchestra don't bother me, in fact add wonderful atmosphere and fullness to the music of the orchestra and would be missed if not present.  However, there are a couple violin concertos (typically an orchestra accompanying a violin soloist in a three movement composition) where the soloist, or the composition or the violin itself is of such high quality that it just sings to me and has found a place among my favorites.  Additionally, I'm very picky about the soloist.  He/she has to be excellent to bring out the song from the grating chaos so easily escaping from a poor or poorly played violin.  My choice of tolerable violin concerto is pretty sparse.  (Brahms, Dvorak, Saint-Saëns or Tchaikovsky)  Today I landed on Tchaikovsky's violin concertoheart (many of the greatest composers only seem to have created one, or perhaps one memorable, violin concerto for some reason)indecision  This is one of those pieces that is worth hearing live in concert.

I scanned a few performances of the Tchaikovsky violin concerto on YouTube and settled on the one by Itzhak Perlman.  Wonderful performance, clear, rich, singing tones, amazing virtuosity.  The first movement is, in my opinion, a little long, and the 3-minute cadenza (soloist's show-off part at 10:30-13:30) near the end of it is impressive more in its technique & virtuosity than its musical beauty.  But in general, the 1st movement is a wonderful piece of music.  Especially at 6:00 where it begins building to the majestic peak at 7:00 that lasts for about a minute.  The remaining 10 minutes of the 1st movement is interesting exposition and rises a couple times to the peak of emotion first expressed at the 7 minute mark.  Especially at the end of the 1st movement at 17:00 where it builds to a typical Tchaikovsky ending.  This movement is so long and captures the audience so well that it is one of the few pieces that often gets a spontaneous round of hearty applause instead of the more respectful quiet between movements

I don't have much to say about the 2nd movement.  It's slow, melodic, restful after all that frantic activity of the 1st movement.

The third movement is, as can be expected of Tchaikovsky, wildly frantic at the the end, beginning at about 34:00.  Enjoy!

Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky [Пётр Ильич Чайковский] : Violin Concerto  

1st movement 0:00

2nd movement 19:48

3rd movement 27:18

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    edited October 2020

I love to hear Itzhak Perlman play. He has a great sense of humor as well. smileyyes

Post edited by TJohn on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

That violin concerto is one of my all time favorite pieces.  Perlman is brilliant, but I have a slight preference for the Jascha Heifetz performance.  An incredibly difficult piece -- they used to say it was unplayable.

• Complaint:  I spent most of the morning sorting my Google bookmarks list. frown  For the last couple years I've been just adding a new bookmark to the list without sorting it.  Then the list got too big to sort, then the list got too big to find things in.  Then I spent most of this morning sorting well over a thousand entries in the list and putting them into organized categories.  I'm about 10% finished. crying

Non-complaint:  To vent my frustration, I came to the DAZ forum and looked for the "Completely Gratuitous Complaint Thread" but couldn't find it.  Several scans through the first three pages of the "Commons" list and ten minutes later I eventually spotted it, so I'm going to celebrate with a small blueberry pie and a glass of milk.  Yay! smiley

edited October 2020

Complaint:  Arghhh... I've spent the last two hours trying to enable "Developer Options" in my recently updated Motorola TracFone now running Android 10.  I followed the instructions and performed the silly operation of tapping 10 times on the "Settings-->AboutPhone-->BuildNumber" to enable the deliberately hidden  Developer Options.  But no developer options line appears in the Settings menu.sad  After Googling many many places of suspected wisdom and following a few different approaches (many were woefully out of date) I finally found that apparently Huawei (the company in China that seems to makes Motorola phones now) has moved the "Developer Options" from "Settings" to "Settings-->System".  Or perhaps that's where it's always been but it seems that everybody with advice for other makes of phones that I read expected me to find it directly in "Settings".frown  

Non-complaint:  Now that I'd enabled Developer Options, I could disable "WiFi Scan Throttling".yes  I needed this because I have the app "WiFi Analyzer"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_US&gl=US ; (read the comment at the bottom by Dave W.)

and just this morning purchased the "Pro" version for $1.99 (to get rid of the advertisements) but during installation it advised that Android 10's improved security tends to automatically throttle activity of the WiFi Analyzer app.  Which explains why it worked fine for a couple of minutes then went blank.frown  But after I disabled Scan Throttling (after I enabled & found "Developer Options") it seems to work fine now.yessmiley

edited October 2020

Well, if nobody else is going to talk, I'll just keep on venting.devil

Non-vent:  Had to use up lots of potatoes that were getting old.  Also, I needed the room in the refrigerator bin for the new potatoes I bought a couple days ago.  This means that I have a lot of cooked potatoes to now consume.  Two big casserole dishes of scalloped potatoes, with lots of diced ham, onions, mushrooms and Velveeta cheese melted onto it.  Mmmm... cheese.smiley  Also, I have three plastic containers each containing four halves of 6 moderately large potatoes that have been boiled to just beyond crunchy and not quite mashable.  I take one container, dice them up and add onions and ham and fry them to make four breakfast bowls of quickly microwaveable breakfasts.  Another container, will make three or four dinners if I put one or two halves on a plate, microwave it to the mashable state and bash it up a bit, add some canned gravy, some vegetables, and a small salmon pattie.  Mmmm... salmon!smiley  The third container, gets used for something but I'm never sure what.

Vent:  I now have a refrigerator full of high calorie carbohydrates that need to be consumed within the next week, and it's all potatoes.  I'm going to be so sick of potatoes, that the new ones that I made room for in the bin will sit there for a long time.frown

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

Non-vent:  Had to use up lots of potatoes that were getting old.  Also, I needed the room in the refrigerator bin for the new potatoes I bought a couple days ago.  This means that I have a lot of cooked potatoes to now consume.  Two big casserole dishes of scalloped potatoes, with lots of diced ham, onions, mushrooms and Velveeta cheese melted onto it.  Mmmm... cheese.smiley  Also, I have three plastic containers each containing four halves of 6 moderately large potatoes that have been boiled to just beyond crunchy and not quite mashable.  I take one container, dice them up and add onions and ham and fry them to make four breakfast bowls of quickly microwaveable breakfasts.  Another container, will make three or four dinners if I put one or two halves on a plate, microwave it to the mashable state and bash it up a bit, add some canned gravy, some vegetables, and a small salmon pattie.  Mmmm... salmon!smiley  The third container, gets used for something but I'm never sure what.

Vent:  I now have a refrigerator full of high calorie carbohydrates that need to be consumed within the next week, and it's all potatoes.  I'm going to be so sick of potatoes, that the new ones that I made room for in the bin will sit there for a long time.frown

You could do up the portions and freeze them ,if you don't want to over dose on them this week and they will keep for 3 months in the freezer compared to 4 days in the fridge ..... I mean if you wanted .......

edited October 2020
    carrie58 said:

You could do up the portions and freeze them ,if you don't want to over dose on them this week and they will keep for 3 months in the freezer compared to 4 days in the fridge ..... I mean if you wanted .......

Good idea...yes but freezer's full...indecision  Need a bigger freezer, and a place to put it.

Another quite reasonable idea, is...  I could have just thrown out the old potatoes.enlightened  Potatoes are cheap, the cost was not the issue.  But there's something in me from my upbringing that just feels wrong to discard food.

But the best solution would have been to be a bit more organized about my food purchase, storage and consumption rates.  But I like to live dangerously and buy potatoes when I don't really need them.blush

Non-complaint:  My freezer's full, my kitchen cabinet shelves and and other storage shelves are now almost full,  I have plenty of paper towels, toilet paper, toothpaste & other bathroom ointments & liquids, plenty of printer ink & paper and I'm just about ready for winter.  All I really need in the next few weeks, is a pumpkin to carve and some candy (there won't be any kids, especially this year, but I get the candy just because I know there won't be any kids, and I hate to see food go to waste).

• Complaint: My A/C broke. It makes me sad, because now not only am I hot and sweaty but I can't even render to distract myself. crying

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

i should not order anyting after midnight.  i tried to pay for an item in the Daz store without selecting a payment method.  ok, time for bed.

edited October 2020

Complaint: My A/C broke. It makes me sad, because now not only am I hot and sweaty but I can't even render to distract myself. crying

Ugh, sticky situation.sad

Where are you that you need A/C in October?  I'm ready to take my A/C out of the window today until next June.  I'm near Buffalo, New York State, USA.  East of the Great Lakes.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

had the hospital nghtmare again last nightangry.  i wish more of them would go out of business

rhinkin bout ordering lunch delivery.  mebbe penne ala vodka or grandma pie slices. theyre square

complaint  my dayjob scheduled a zoom virtual meeting for 12.  waited 15 minutes, no one showed. mann i got dressed an fixed my hair.

next complaint  my fingers are ice cold.    shot of cinnamon whiskey should fix it

Mystiarra said:

had the hospital nghtmare again last nightangry.  i wish more of them would go out of business

While-asleep nightmare or real-life nightmare?

Mystiarra said:

next complaint  my fingers are ice cold.    shot of cinnamon whiskey should fix it

Or if it doesn't fix it, you won't care.

Mystiarra said:

Or if it doesn't fix it, you won't care.

theres the spiritheart

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,124

Sneaking into the forums.  Barely got internet access.  Doing okay but stressed out.

Blessings on everyone!

I have to  have some laser zaps on my retinas to seal off some bleeding at the end of the month (sigh). sad

TJohn said:

Blessings on everyone!

I have to  have some laser zaps on my retinas to seal off some bleeding at the end of the month (sigh). sad

Good luck.  If you end up with Laser Eyes, please use your superpowers for good instead of evil.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,178
    TJohn said:

Blessings on everyone!

I hope all goes well with this!

Dana

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Be well, TJohn.  Wishing you the best.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,707
    edited October 2020

Complaint: My A/C broke. It makes me sad, because now not only am I hot and sweaty but I can't even render to distract myself. crying

Ugh, sticky situation.sad

Where are you that you need A/C in October?  I'm ready to take my A/C out of the window today until next June.  I'm near Buffalo, New York State, USA.  East of the Great Lakes.

I live in Hawaii. Paradise, but hot all the time. And I can't go to a store and hang out cause of quarantine. I hope my landlord gets back to me about fixing it, soon.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • TJohn said:

Blessings on everyone!

Well, at least they have a fix for it.yes

But that's what happens when you cut a month short, they bleed.indecision

• TJohn said:

Blessings on everyone!

Good luck

TJohn said:

Blessings on everyone!

Good luck.  If you end up with Laser Eyes, please use your superpowers for good instead of evil.

Why?

TJohn said:

Blessings on everyone!

Why?

So when someone asks "name one good thing about 2020" I'll have an answer?

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,178

RIP Eddie VanHalen!   sad

Dana

DanaTA said:

RIP Eddie VanHalen!   sad

Dana

+1

TJohn said:

Blessings on everyone!

If that happens, my name will be Gazerbeam, since the original is no longer using the name. smiley

This discussion has been closed.