The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,453
    edited October 2020

Confusion complaint:  The ongoing saga of Windows10 network file sharing woes.  I may have stumbled onto a possible "trigger" of network file sharing not being restored properly after a reboot.  When I last reported on the situation I had gleefully exclaimed that I had found a 100% reliable workaround to restore network sharing amongst all my Windows10 machines (Note: I only have Win10 machines now, I make no predictions about how earlier Win systems behave in this arena).  The workaround being, that after a system reboot I have to perform a "Network Reset" from the "Network and Internet settings-->Settings" dialog, then after it reboots again make sure that the rebooted machine is put back into the "Private" mode, with all other parameters untouched after the reset.  Worked for me all the time.  Until a machine was rebooted it would reliably share files across the network zip-bang-zoom! yes

But not satisfied with a workaround, I kept browsing the Internet through all the gobbledy-gook anecdotal experiences of people swearing at Windows file-sharing software, "try this, try that", etc.  Most of it quite logical and unfortunately, vanilla advice, repeating endlessly about how it should work.  But nobody explaining why it doesn't work or what makes it go wrong.  Including from Microsoft, about whom I've come to the conclusion that they haven't a clue.frown

HOWEVER,  In the last couple of days I had come across one poor lonely guy yelling into the hurricane of controversy that his machines that were configured to enable hibernation seemed to be affected, and would apparently affect others in the system (supposedly related to which machine was the "master" of file-sharing negotiations at any one time).  Unfortunately, I lost the link to that lonely guy who may have become lost in the Internet void.

So, armed with yet another anecdotal possibility, I started inspecting my machines.  Some of them had been upgraded from older versions of windows that had hibernation enabled and still did in their Win10 incarnation.  I tried turning off and on hibernation using adminstrator level "CMD" operations like "powercfg /hibernation off", or sometimes trying through the windows dialog screens,  I had one machine that absolutely refused to turn on hibernation.  In the end I gave up with individual controls and systematically went through each machine and performed a "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings" and clicked on the "Restore default settings for this plan".  I then also went through the "Advanced Power Settings" and made sure that there were no straggler enablings or references to hibernation.

It's been a couple of days since I reset all my machine power settings and I haven't performed a scientific thorough test of all possibilities of rebooting various machines in different orders but so far, they seem to remember their file-sharing roles between reboots.  Yay?  Maybe?indecision

I have no explanation for why hibernation would affect file-sharing but I do have confidence that the problem is related to something not being remembered during shutdown, or something not being reactivated during powerup.  Also take into consideration that Windows10 machines have on by default, the "Rapid Powerup" feature which is quite possibly similar to hibernation.surprise  I have disabled that in my machines, but have not yet performed any experiments regarding its part in the process.

Take this with a grain of salt, because this is just another anecdotal story, but if things go south here, I'll be back and kill this theory.  I'm very interested in the experience of other people in this arena.  But remember I only have Win10-Home and Win10-Pro systems.  I make no claims about how earlier versions of Windows play in this dirty sandbox.

Note:  Hibernation seems like a good idea, but it has, in the past, been problematic on some machines.  And now with machines using SSDs for their system drive, the huge amount of writes to the SSD when the system goes into"Hibernation" count against the lifetime of the SSD.  Especially on a machine that has 32 or 64 or 128 GB of RAM, when 80% of it gets copied to the SSD as the system goes into hibernation and powers off.  Whereas "Sleep" doesn't copy the memory resident in RAM onto the SSD, it leaves it in RAM and just keeps the computer barely alive enough to preserve the RAM contents.  So, if you're not able to assign your hibernation space onto a non-SSD storage device, you're eating into your SSD lifetime each time you hibernate.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    TJohn said:

Blessings on everyone!

I have to  have some laser zaps on my retinas to seal off some bleeding at the end of the month (sigh). sad

you having the eye hemoorage too?

many,many wishes for a speedy recovery

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

i am still waiting for my package that I ordered on September 22.  This is the last time I order something from overseas.

• i am still waiting for my package that I ordered on September 22.  This is the last time I order something from overseas.

Three or four weeks is what I've found for overseas orders.  Heck, I ordered a bloomin' music CD from Amazon shipped from Oxforshire, England on Sept. 30th, it's not scheduled to arrive until between Oct 20th and Nov 4th.  You'd think with all those empty airplanes now, they'd convert them to freight so CDs didn't have to travel by slow boat from England.  Is this 1920 instead of 2020?

• Complaint:  My theory about hibernation affecting file-sharing has been busted.sad  I received a Microsoft update, the machine rebooted, and now doesn't remember how to connect to file shares.frown

Non-complaint:  My workaround still works though.  Yay!yes

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Non-complaint: Thanks for all the well wishes. You're all such lovely people. heart

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109
    TJohn said:

Blessings on everyone!

I have to  have some laser zaps on my retinas to seal off some bleeding at the end of the month (sigh). sad

Wishing you success and a speedy recovery!

edited October 2020

From my home in Tennessee.

Post edited by TJohn on
  • So how can I do Halloween this year?

Probably can't have kids and fams coming up my walkway, passing each other, breathing on each other, and stepping on each other's heels.  Thinking of moving to my driveway where it's broad and open.  Handing out candy is not likely to be a problem because I usually have the big 36-piece full sized candy in boxes from Sam's Club or Costco, and will hand it out directly from the box.

I guess I'm mostly afraid we'll get shut down by the county.  But if we don't, I'd like to keep the tradition, even if there are a lot fewer kids this year.

edited October 2020

So how can I do Halloween this year?

Probably can't have kids and fams coming up my walkway, passing each other, breathing on each other, and stepping on each other's heels.  Thinking of moving to my driveway where it's broad and open.  Handing out candy is not likely to be a problem because I usually have the big 36-piece full sized candy in boxes from Sam's Club or Costco, and will hand it out directly from the box.

I guess I'm mostly afraid we'll get shut down by the county.  But if we don't, I'd like to keep the tradition, even if there are a lot fewer kids this year.

For treats you could buy a bunch of donut-holes and stick the pointy end of whole cloves into them.surprise

The cloves wouldn't be very tasty but you'd generate a lot of conversation, and people would remember you.devil

• Being remembered is not necessarily the goal here.  And in this part of the country, parents still take their kids trick-or-treating.  Well the little ones, anyhow.  The teenagers are on their own.

Giving away full-sized candy will get you remembered for all the right things, while also reducing the chances that somebody will call the cops and point them toward "the creep in THAT house right there."

I'm just looking to do something nice.  It's been a hard year for everybody.

• "Sheep are very dim... They have enormous difficulty in the comparatively simple act of perchin'." -- Monty Python

But apparently, not goats.

GoatsInTree.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 335K
    edited October 2020

But where did sheep get the idea of perching in trees?

"From Harold Shawn. He's that sheep there over under the elm. He's that most dangerous of animals, a clever sheep. He's the ring-leader. He has realized that a sheep's life consists of standing around for a few months and then being eaten. And that's a depressing prospect for an ambitious sheep. He's patently hit on the idea of escape."  -- Monty Python

SheepInTree.jpg
    1862 x 1068 - 196K

too chilly to eat breakfast out on the patio.  brr

Mystiarra said:

Breakfast on the patio, Daddy-O. smiley

the Tetracovine canopy saddle thingy would be nice for a dragon riderenlightened

TJohn said:
    Mystiarra said:

Breakfast on the patio, Daddy-O. smiley

been up for 2 hours.  need a nap.  waiting for a patch of sun to warms in

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

A minor complaint. When I type in Japanese to label an image to the gallery all the Japanese characters get deleted. The Daz site is apparently very anglophile.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,124

I want to. Go trick or treating this year but I might be too old and also the covid issue.

I’m doing okay I guess.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,178

I want to. Go trick or treating this year but I might be too old and also the covid issue.

I’m doing okay I guess.

Glad to hear it!

Dana

They say the sea is cold, but the sea contains the hottest blood of all, and the wildest, the most urgent. All the whales in the wider deeps, hot are they, as they urge on and on, and dive beneath the icebergs. 

hungree, but the b'nanas are too mushy.  turns mushy fast

packet of instant grits has 300mg of sodium

the utz unsalted pretzels arent bad

laugh

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903
    Mystiarra said:

As far as I'm concerned, a pretzel's only value is as a sodium delivery system.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,178
    Mystiarra said:

laugh

That's funny!   laugh

Dana

The modern cat.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

For halloween this year, I am gonna sit on my porch roof with a sign saying vote for trudo, and throw vegitables at the kids. Well soft ones, if I threw one of my grown giant turnips or potatoes, it would probably kill someone. Will stick to like cherry tomatoes and such.

edited October 2020

Complaint:  In the, things to muse about while DAZing, department.  I miss the old character actors.  Just watching an old "Burke's Law" episode.  That series had lots of the old character actors, especially during the first year.  Edward Everett Horton, Hans Conried, Elsa Lanchester, Burgess Meredith, Andy Devine, Zasu Pitts, Basil Rathbone,  Buster Keaton, Paul Lynde, Martha Raye,  Agnes Moorehead, Terry-Thomas, Ed Wynn.  All of whom appeared on "Burke's Law" one or more times in wonderful little vignettes.

I'm having a hard time thinking of modern actors equally as odd/unique.

Any suggestions?  New or old..  Oh, and if you don't immediately recognize any of the names I've listed above, you've missed something.

• Gordig said:
    Mystiarra said:

As far as I'm concerned, a pretzel's only value is as a sodium delivery system.

You're not wrong about that!

TheKD said:

For halloween this year, I am gonna sit on my porch roof with a sign saying vote for trudo, and throw vegitables at the kids. Well soft ones, if I threw one of my grown giant turnips or potatoes, it would probably kill someone. Will stick to like cherry tomatoes and such.

Tomatoes are like little acid bombs.  Delicious of course, especially if you grow your own!  I like to pick them in the garden and rinse them off and eat them right there.  But I wouldn't throw them at anybody.  Or give them out instead of Halloween candy, because that would just be mean.

Miss Bad Wolf, are you going to be a goldfish this year?  There might be some logistics challenges there, but it would be genius if you could pull it off!

Is anybody thinking of being Oscar the Grouch?  I went as the Grinch one year.  cheeky

Last year I got a lot of Fairy Princesses over to my house.  None arrived in a horse drawn carriage, although two got out of minivans.  And who knew that Iron man was 3 feet tall?  I had no idea that the kingdom I live in is such a huge producer of royalty and super heroes!

Well, Halloween is special to me.  It greatly saddens me that we might "cancel" it.  And don't get me started on what might happen to Christmas, especially from the standpoint of Thanksgiving parades and the kids seeing Santa.

This discussion has been closed.