The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• Regarding storage boxes.  I haven't found a similar set of plastic drawers that seem sturdy enough.  Any plastic storage containers that I have, or have seen, quickly deform under the weight of even moderately heavy contents and are not encouragingly stackable.  Would love to see a link to some known good ones.

In my bedroom I don't have a chest of drawers.  I've thought about getting one, but I can't get a decent sized set of wooden drawers up my twisty, narrow staircase.  It was hard enough getting a disassembled twin-bed up the stairs.  And there are gouges in the stairwall to prove it.  So, I use stackable plastic drawers for my clothes.  They work, but they sag, droop, and lean, and the drawers don't fully close anymore.  And clothes are not that heavy.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,124

My boyfriend's mum just passed away.  So sad and I never got to meet her.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

My stupid phone only can track steps if I am carrying it around.  What if my outfit doesn't have any pockets?

If you have 3 or more hands you can use one to carry the phone.

I found my iPad which is a tablet just like an iPad.

Why do non Apple cords don't charge my phone?  I got a ten foot long cord but it won't charge the phone.  Basically why does my stupid phone only want to use official Apple cords?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

its raining again oh woe oh

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,453
    edited October 2020

Non-complaint:  A short music to DAZ by:  Close your eyes and listen to this 7 minute piece. 

Try not to look at the title.  Where have you heard those deep forboding themes that crop up in in several places?  The first Star Trek movie?   A James Bond movie?

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Oops!  I forgot my afternoon coffee in the kitchen.  Can't drink it in my bedroom if it is in the kitchen.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

Oops!  I forgot my afternoon coffee in the kitchen.  Can't drink it in my bedroom if it is in the kitchen.

You can't drink it in the kitchen either if you're in the bedroom.  Catch-22.

You can't drink it in the kitchen either if you're in the bedroom.  Catch-22.

Now it is on my desk but I am on my bed.  My arms aren't long enough to reach it.

mmmmm spicy beef and brocccoli

shivering from damp and cold yet sweating at the same time 

opening a gift set of drambuie, comes with 2 shot glasses heartkiss

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941
    In my bedroom I don't have a chest of drawers.  I've thought about getting one, but I can't get a decent sized set of wooden drawers up my twisty, narrow staircase.  It was hard enough getting a disassembled twin-bed up the stairs.  And there are gouges in the stairwall to prove it.  So, I use stackable plastic drawers for my clothes.  They work, but they sag, droop, and lean, and the drawers don't fully close anymore.  And clothes are not that heavy.

...for me, it's getting one home. 

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Regarding storage boxes.  I haven't found a similar set of plastic drawers that seem sturdy enough.  Any plastic storage containers that I have, or have seen, quickly deform under the weight of even moderately heavy contents and are not encouragingly stackable.  Would love to see a link to some known good ones.

The penultimate sentence in that post could describe me. devilcrying

I was attempting to sleep.

• TJohn said:

Regarding storage boxes.  I haven't found a similar set of plastic drawers that seem sturdy enough.  Any plastic storage containers that I have, or have seen, quickly deform under the weight of even moderately heavy contents and are not encouragingly stackable.  Would love to see a link to some known good ones.

The penultimate sentence in that post could describe me. devilcrying

Ditto on the drawers.sad

I don't want to wake up, but breakfast is soon.  Not cereal breakfast but hot breakfast!

Did a bing search for Caturday!

08F09E22-0ED0-45CB-BBE1-A34C550A58A0.jpeg
    600 x 587 - 73K

Is it lunch time yet?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

I'm watching a Houdini tutorial, and he keeps saying "effectively" and "essentially" at inappropriate times.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

"Let's take a look at one more concept, which is effectively called 'channel referencing'."

how do they get the water up  into the water towers?

in the old days, how did they know where to dig water wells?

befoew indoor plumbing was popular, where did they empty their chamber pots?  did they bury it?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Apparently, it is called channel referencing ineffectively.  

How do they know where to dig?  Have to read God's Little Acre, or see the movie.  Movie claims to have a lot of mosts.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

i haven't reinstalled Bryce 7 or Daz Studio after I reinstalled Windows.  Oops.

• I don't want to wake up, but breakfast is soon.  Not cereal breakfast but hot breakfast!

I have news for you.  If you're typing that, then that means you're up.  So git on down and get some hot breakfast!

Mystiarra said:

Pumps push far far more effectively than they pull.  So we can push fluids up to extreme heights, where it then rests on a column of water.  That allows gravity to, um, "effectively" provide the force needed to keep the entire system pressurized.

wink

Mystiarra said:

I don't intend for this to sound mean, but people weren't idiots.  There are usually lots of clues where to dig water wells, ranging from the lay of the land or the last place the spring floods flowed, to whether or not trees were able to grow nearby.  And never forget, one could always take a guess.  If you were successful, then you could maybe build a homestead or a town. 

And when a well was not suitable or workable, some peoples built massive aquaduct systems to bring snowmelt to the cities.  The engineering needed for this was amazing but over time, basic maintenance fell to the wayside in favor of other things to spend money on.the infrastructure was allowed to fall into disrepair, resulting in the eventual downfall of some cities and their rulers.  Not dissimilar to today, for those of you who have heard about the state of disrepair for our roads, rails, bridges, fresh water, and waste management systems the world over.

If anything, the majority of us in 2020 have lost (or never been taught) the basic knowledge and/or ability to do for ourselves the things needed for survival; things that our forebears learned on the farm as kids.  Things such as hunting, fishing, drying or curing meat, finding water, growing crops.

Oh I get it, not everybody will grow up on a farm.  But some of our city dwellers have no idea how to survive even a few days in bear or wild boar country.

Did you know that a properly cured pig can last without refrigeration for 50 years or more?  Yeah, it'll come with loads of salt, but it sure will keep you alive and help you to avoid losing muscle so that you can bring in that crop in at harvest time in August or September.  But you may not have known this and throughout your entire life, even with Wikipedia out there, there may not have been anybody to tell you.

Mystiarra said:

befoew indoor plumbing was popular, where did they empty their chamber pots?  did they bury it?

Street, meet the overnight "leavings".  People would dump their chamber pots out the window onto the street below.

Ancient streets were often built with an open sewer system.  As Pompeii is unearthed, you can see some of these.  It might have been a shallow ditch made with brick or stone, running down the middle of the street.  You had to step over it when crossing the street.  If you were a lady, you would have to hike up your dress/undergarments so that they wouldn't drag through the um, "fragrant flow", and this channel would eventually transport the leavings wherever they were supposed to go.

I'd have to research it to be sure, but I do believe that ancient peoples did make use of basic waste treatment principles by way of underground cisterns and basins.  In order for plague to not take entire cities, there had to be some way to keep solid and liquid waste separate from water being used for drinking, cooking, and cleaning.

I'm glad I don't have to empty a chamber pot every morning.  Phewie!  angry

edited October 2020

... I'm glad I don't have to empty a chamber pot every morning.  Phewie!  angry

When I was growing up (mid '50s) we still had chamber pots and bowls.  They were mostly decorative antiques, but once in a while would be pressed into service as huge drink pitchers or popcorn bowls. (thoroughly cleaned and disinfected for 50 years since their last use for their original purpose of course, but still a chilling thought now that I look back on it 60 years beyond that time.indecision )

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,643
    edited October 2020
    Mystiarra said:

Pumps. (or maybe an army with buckets climbing the tower?)

Mystiarra said:

Divining Rods

Mystiarra said:

In the city they dumped it out the window into the street sewer. In the country they dumped it in the outhouse

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    edited October 2020

Complaint:  I'm a flashlight addict.  I love collecting unusual flashlights.  Today I saw a YouTube review article about a marvelous little LED flashlight about 3.5 cm long that looks like a miniature black "Maglite" (but isn't) that is perfect for a keychain and is advertised to last for 12 hours of use and has an adequately bright light for emergency short to medium distance navigation. (perhaps not useful if lost in a large cave, but definitely useful trying to not trip over the tricycle in the yard when coming home during a power outage on a cloudy moonless night.

Not that I need such a flashlight, but collector addictions are more about "want" rather than "need".  So, I jot down the name of the product and go looking for it on Amazon.  No luck.indecision  OK, so I Google it.  No luck! sad  Either it's so brand new that it hasn't reached Google yet, or it's so old that it has faded into obscurity.  Or it just was never advertised outside of China. 

Google, you failed me.angry  I'm crushed.crying

Speaking of flashlight addiction:  I just replaced a black two AA-cell Maglite incandescent flashlight that had been ruined by leaky batteries.angry  I bought the new LED version instead, but since all my old Maglite flashlights (of various sizes) are black and incandescent I decided to start collecting their newer LED cousins in blue.  I'll replace the original 2-cell AA incandescent version in black at a later time (I have to replace it.  I have two spare bulbs for it).  Does my color matching gayness show? blush  Or am I just an obsessive organizationalist?indecision

Still blathering about flashlights:  I think my attraction to modern flashlights was caused by remembering what flashlights ("torches" to those on the other side of the pond) were like in the '50s.  It was a toss up as to what would happen first.  The batteries die 10 minutes after you started needing them, or the cheap thin steel case would leak in the rain and rust,  or the bulb would die 11 minutes after you started needing it, or the carbon-zinc batteries would leak and eat your flashlight that you used two days ago.  Well, we still haven't really solved the leaking problem and the batteries now cost 10 times as much, but the light is 100 times more powerful, and lasts much longer and the thick strong aluminum/magnesium bodies of the big ones make half decent clubs as well.  Either blind the bear with eye-searing brilliance or bash him on the head as he consumes your leg.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Complaint:  I'm a flashlight addict.  I love collecting unusual flashlights.  Today I saw a YouTube review article about a marvelous little LED flashlight about 3.5 cm long that looks like a miniature black "Maglite" (but isn't) that is perfect for a keychain and is advertised to last for 12 hours of use and has an adequately bright light for emergency short to medium distance navigation. (perhaps not useful if lost in a large cave, but definitely useful trying to not trip over the tricycle in the yard when coming home during a power outage on a cloudy moonless night.

Not that I need such a flashlight, but collector addictions are more about "want" rather than "need".  So, I jot down the name of the product and go looking for it on Amazon.  No luck.indecision  OK, so I Google it.  No luck! sad  Either it's so brand new that it hasn't reached Google yet, or it's so old that it has faded into obscurity.  Or it just was never advertised outside of China. 

Speaking of flashlight addiction:  I just replaced a black two AA-cell Maglite incandescent flashlight that had been ruined by leaky batteries.angry  I bought the new LED version instead, but since all my old Maglite flashlights (of various sizes) are black and incandescent I decided to start collecting their newer LED cousins in blue.  I'll replace the original 2-cell AA incandescent version in black at a later time.  Does my color matching gayness show? blush  Or am I just an obsessive organizationalist?indecision

https://www.amazon.com/Maglite-Solitaire-1-Cell-Flashlight-Black/dp/B009TC5XTI/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Maglite+Solitaire+LED+Flashlight&qid=1603037337&sr=8-1

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,180
    edited October 2020

Street, meet the overnight "leavings".  People would dump their chamber pots out the window onto the street below.

Ancient streets were often built with an open sewer system.  As Pompeii is unearthed, you can see some of these.  It might have been a shallow ditch made with brick or stone, running down the middle of the street.  You had to step over it when crossing the street.  If you were a lady, you would have to hike up your dress/undergarments so that they wouldn't drag through the um, "fragrant flow", and this channel would eventually transport the leavings wherever they were supposed to go.

I'd have to research it to be sure, but I do believe that ancient peoples did make use of basic waste treatment principles by way of underground cisterns and basins.  In order for plague to not take entire cities, there had to be some way to keep solid and liquid waste separate from water being used for drinking, cooking, and cleaning.

I'm glad I don't have to empty a chamber pot every morning.  Phewie!  angry

I was told by a teacher in class years ago that that is why gentlemen walk on the outisde of the sidewalk, ladies on the innerside, closer to the buildings.  Manyof the buildings in old times had an overhang, so when the overnight proceeds were dumped, the ladies were protected from possible splashes.  Even when the building didn't have an overhang, the momentum of the toss would carry it away from the building and still miss the ladies, usually.  This tradition lasted well past the days of the chamber pots...at least into the 1960s.

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on
    edited October 2020
    Chohole said:

Speaking of flashlight addiction:  I just replaced a black two AA-cell Maglite incandescent flashlight that had been ruined by leaky batteries.angry  I bought the new LED version instead, but since all my old Maglite flashlights (of various sizes) are black and incandescent I decided to start collecting their newer LED cousins in blue.  I'll replace the original 2-cell AA incandescent version in black at a later time.  Does my color matching gayness show? blush  Or am I just an obsessive organizationalist?indecision

https://www.amazon.com/Maglite-Solitaire-1-Cell-Flashlight-Black/dp/B009TC5XTI/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Maglite+Solitaire+LED+Flashlight&qid=1603037337&sr=8-1

Thank you.  Yep, I have one of those already.  I collect "Maglites" like Swedish people collect those painted wooden Dala horses.  Every size available.smiley

Actually I found my quarry.  I'd been spelling it wrong. Should be "Nitefox" instead of "Nightfox".  It's not a Maglite, but it is tiny!smiley https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TCXDPPP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=A3EC2L3DCFMXKD&psc=1 ; Isn't it just sooo cute!heart

Complaint:  Speaking of Dala horses.  When I was staying with my aunt in Florida as lawn care, gutter cleaner, snake killer, security guard, chauffeur, dish washer, stovetop scrubber, squirrel feeder, house watcher during hurricanes, guy that lived in the basement..., she accused me of stealing one of her huge collection of every conceivable size of Dala horses.  As if I would have any reason to steal one f'n horse.frown  She mentioned it to other members of her family too.  Everybody tried to convince her that she'd just misplaced it but it wasn't until a couple years later that she found it in a box she'd stuck away.  Of course she never apologized.  Those were her later years (80+) so we all assumed it was her reluctance to admit she was getting confused easily.  I was the scapegoat for anything that went wrong in the house.  It was part of the job.sad

This discussion has been closed.