The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

the greek language has the 'th' diphthong?   'athena'  Pythagorean.
    the 'th' in rosemary and thyme is broken.  the mythery runneth deepeth

DanaTA said:

Street, meet the overnight "leavings".  People would dump their chamber pots out the window onto the street below.

Ancient streets were often built with an open sewer system.  As Pompeii is unearthed, you can see some of these.  It might have been a shallow ditch made with brick or stone, running down the middle of the street.  You had to step over it when crossing the street.  If you were a lady, you would have to hike up your dress/undergarments so that they wouldn't drag through the um, "fragrant flow", and this channel would eventually transport the leavings wherever they were supposed to go.

I'd have to research it to be sure, but I do believe that ancient peoples did make use of basic waste treatment principles by way of underground cisterns and basins.  In order for plague to not take entire cities, there had to be some way to keep solid and liquid waste separate from water being used for drinking, cooking, and cleaning.

I'm glad I don't have to empty a chamber pot every morning.  Phewie!  angry

I was told by a teacher in class years ago that that is why gentlemen walk on the outisde of the sidewalk, ladies on the innerside, closer to the buildings.  Manyof the buildings in old times had an overhang, so when the overnight proceeds were dumped, the ladies were protected from possible splashes.  Even when the building didn't have an overhang, the momentum of the toss would carry it away from the building and still miss the ladies, usually.  This tradition lasted well past the days of the chamber pots...at least into the 1960s.

Dana

indoor plubingheart

water comes out of the tap like magic

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941

...until you forget to pay the water bill. 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

I hate it when eggs make a chirping sound when you put them in water.

• Sevrin said:

I hate it when eggs make a chirping sound when you put them in water.

How about when they make a chirping sound when you break them onto a hot frying pan?

• Mystiarra said:
    DanaTA said:

Street, meet the overnight "leavings".  People would dump their chamber pots out the window onto the street below.

Ancient streets were often built with an open sewer system.  As Pompeii is unearthed, you can see some of these.  It might have been a shallow ditch made with brick or stone, running down the middle of the street.  You had to step over it when crossing the street.  If you were a lady, you would have to hike up your dress/undergarments so that they wouldn't drag through the um, "fragrant flow", and this channel would eventually transport the leavings wherever they were supposed to go.

I'd have to research it to be sure, but I do believe that ancient peoples did make use of basic waste treatment principles by way of underground cisterns and basins.  In order for plague to not take entire cities, there had to be some way to keep solid and liquid waste separate from water being used for drinking, cooking, and cleaning.

I'm glad I don't have to empty a chamber pot every morning.  Phewie!  angry

I was told by a teacher in class years ago that that is why gentlemen walk on the outisde of the sidewalk, ladies on the innerside, closer to the buildings.  Manyof the buildings in old times had an overhang, so when the overnight proceeds were dumped, the ladies were protected from possible splashes.  Even when the building didn't have an overhang, the momentum of the toss would carry it away from the building and still miss the ladies, usually.  This tradition lasted well past the days of the chamber pots...at least into the 1960s.

Dana

indoor plubingheart

water comes out of the tap like magic

The only place that I know that has magic on tap is at Hogwarts.indecision

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

Non-complaint:  "Uncle Wiggly Wings" turned 100 this month.

Gail Halvorsen, the "Candy Bomber", who started dropping mini-parachutes of candy to children in Berlin during the Berlin Airlift, turned 100 on Oct 10.  His party included hundreds of letters from 'children' (now in their 80s and 90s) who remembered his kindness when any food, let alone candy, was in short supply.  Naturally, a helicopter flew overhead to drop candy.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,124

Panthers and packers both lost today.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903
    Mystiarra said:

the greek language has the 'th' diphthong?   'athena'  Pythagorean.
    the 'th' in rosemary and thyme is broken.  the mythery runneth deepeth

It's not a diphthong, both because the term refers specifically to vowels, and because the "th" sound is a single phoneme. The Greek letter theta represents this phoneme with a single letter, while later European languages typically use two.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,643
    edited October 2020

Gail Halvorsen, the "Candy Bomber", who started dropping mini-parachutes of candy to children in Berlin during the Berlin Airlift, turned 100 on Oct 10.  His party included hundreds of letters from 'children' (now in their 80s and 90s) who remembered his kindness when any food, let alone candy, was in short supply.  Naturally, a helicopter flew overhead to drop candy.

As a footnote: For the last 20 years he has come to our local airport (Dare County Airport) every year to drop candy.

https://www.darenc.com/Home/Components/News/News/5793/17

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/article_533a16a6-183a-5c46-84a6-94c579392b0f.html

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

I thought I slept well last night but I still feel sleepy.  Not in the mood to do much of anything right now.  Not even interested in iPad games.  Hope I am okay.

Is it easier to see what my avatar is?

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

i'm watching a video on how to draw but the background music is too loud.  I cannot concentrate on the instructions.  I'm going to watch another video on Youtube.

• Don't you just hate that when videos aren't careful with their choice of, or loudness of their background music?  And then there's the ones that have that godawful, semi-distorted, electronic, thumping "music" that repeats about every 4 seconds.  Grrr...angry  Yeah, I know, it's royalty-free music, but did the video makers ever consider why it's free?  Three minutes into the tutorial and my skin is crawling and my brain is screaming "let me out of here".crying

People, if you're producing tutorials or video blogs, ditch the music, or tone it way, way down and make sure it doesn't scratch nails across a blackboard.enlightened  And remember not everybody likes your taste in music.

is 46F outside  BRRR

heard a rumour the almanac is predicting a cold snowy winter >.<

trying to play in carrara but i cant read the menus.  with win10 magnifier lens, can see about 4 inches of screen at a time.  a few animation projects i never finished.

time for fall cleaning.  need to get ruthless throwing out clothes.  nothing fits.  baggy butt pants and shirt arm holes hanging.  i has a 60 dollar coupie for Old Navy.  mebbe my cousin will drive me. 

has to be ruthless throwing out dvds too. taking up a big chunk of closet space  like all the ghost hunters seasons.  doubt i'd ever watch em again. 

i got a huge pile of months of mystery mail.  cant read the from addresses.  the envelopes with the windows are prolly dr bulls. 

half way thru october, no seasonal pumpkin cheesecake yet.  

any news about the stimulus check?  ick the utoob ads from dems begging for donations.  be nice when the elections are over.

thinkin bout dindin vittles.  banana and yogurt or i could order a penne al pesto from delivery. with a luscious side salad with blue cheesecheeky

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Is it easier to see what my avatar is?

Yes.

edited October 2020

...yeah for Green Bay it was embarrassing. Two back to back interceptions (one run back for a touchdown) and an extremely anaemic defence. Tom Brady didn't even look all that sharp either yet Tampa still scored another 31 unanswered points after that "pick six". 

Don't you just hate that when videos aren't careful with their choice of, or loudness of their background music?  And then there's the ones that have that godawful, semi-distorted, electronic, thumping "music" that repeats about every 4 seconds.  Grrr...angry  Yeah, I know, it's royalty-free music, but did the video makers ever consider why it's free?  Three minutes into the tutorial and my skin is crawling and my brain is screaming "let me out of here".crying

People, if you're producing tutorials or video blogs, ditch the music, or tone it way, way down and make sure it doesn't scratch nails across a blackboard.enlightened  And remember not everybody likes your taste in music.

...+1. 

Bad enough some narrators are just not that good and then having music to on top of that to muddle things.

This is part of why I still prefer PDF tutorials, but nobody wants to spend the time any more (and good concise yet informational technical writing seems to have become a lost art) 

Mystiarra said:

is 46F outside  BRRR

...currently 26° in my old college town of Stevens Point WI. There's even a chance for measurable frozen water from the sky there tomorrow, 12 days before Halloween. 

Going to get a little frigid here later in the week with lows in the upper 20 to low 30s this weekend. Fortunately no white stuff here..

Mystiarra said:

trying to play in carrara but i cant read the menus.  with win10 magnifier lens, can see about 4 inches of screen at a time.  a few animation projects i never finished.

time for fall cleaning.  need to get ruthless throwing out clothes.  nothing fits.  baggy butt pants and shirt arm holes hanging.  i has a 60 dollar coupie for Old Navy.  mebbe my cousin will drive me. 

has to be ruthless throwing out dvds too. taking up a big chunk of closet space  like all the ghost hunters seasons.  doubt i'd ever watch em again. 

...is there a Goodwill or other such store in your area where they can be donated to? 

Mystiarra said:

i got a huge pile of months of mystery mail.  cant read the from addresses.  the envelopes with the windows are prolly dr bulls. 

any news about the stimulus check?  ick the utoob ads from dems begging for donations.  be nice when the elections are over.

...no, don't think we'll see one before election day, maybe not until the end of the year.

Yeah also looking forwared to November 4th as I am currently being "carpet bombed" with emails for donations, phonebanking, working at polls (we've had full mail in voting here for 22 years so no polling sites), and related surveys.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Semi-stupid Complaint:

I was being nice and slicing a bagel for one of my daughters with a lightsaber sharp serrated knife... I cut through the bagel, no problem, but the stupid thing slipped and the knife sliced through my finger because of the way I was holding it... I think because I was holding the bagel over the sink and I didn't want to drop it, I tried to let the knife fall instead of the bagel... whatever.

The cut is pretty deep and you can see all the interesting squishy parts inside... and weirdly not bleeding that much...

So, now the complaint... 

Because of the pandemic they are saying don't go to the hospital if it's not necessary... this is a simple two three stitch deal... so I call the "Urgent Care" place near us to see if they do stitches... yeah, but I have to wait until 1:30... it was 8:30 when I called...

Thats not "Urgent" that's "Semi Relaxed" at best... possibly "Lazy"... 

Megh... later... I'm going to the next town which has a place that will see me sooner... 

Laterz.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,453
    edited October 2020
    McGyver said:

Semi-stupid Complaint:

I was being nice and slicing a bagel for one of my daughters with a lightsaber sharp serrated knife... I cut through the bagel, no problem, but the stupid thing slipped and the knife sliced through my finger because of the way I was holding it... I think because I was holding the bagel over the sink and I didn't want to drop it, I tried to let the knife fall instead of the bagel... whatever.

The cut is pretty deep and you can see all the interesting squishy parts inside... and weirdly not bleeding that much...

So, now the complaint... 

Because of the pandemic they are saying don't go to the hospital if it's not necessary... this is a simple two three stitch deal... so I call the "Urgent Care" place near us to see if they do stitches... yeah, but I have to wait until 1:30... it was 8:30 when I called...

Megh... later... I'm going to the next town which has a place that will see me sooner... 

Laterz.

And yet you were typing all this...  Couldn't be too bad.  Just use superglue.enlighteneddevil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    kyoto kid said:

...yeah for Green Bay it was embarrassing. Two back to back interceptions (one run back for a touchdown) and an extremely anaemic defence. Tom Brady didn't even look all that sharp either yet Tampa still scored another 31 unanswered points after that "pick six". 

Don't you just hate that when videos aren't careful with their choice of, or loudness of their background music?  And then there's the ones that have that godawful, semi-distorted, electronic, thumping "music" that repeats about every 4 seconds.  Grrr...angry  Yeah, I know, it's royalty-free music, but did the video makers ever consider why it's free?  Three minutes into the tutorial and my skin is crawling and my brain is screaming "let me out of here".crying

...+1. 

Bad enough some narrators are just not that good and then having music to on top of that to muddle things.

This is part of why I still prefer PDF tutorials, but nobody wants to spend the time any more (and good concise yet informational technical writing seems to have become a lost art) 

Mystiarra said:

is 46F outside  BRRR

...currently 26° in my old college town of Stevens Point WI. There's even a chance for measurable frozen water from the sky there tomorrow, 12 days before Halloween. 

Going to get a little frigid here later in the week with lows in the upper 20 to low 30s this weekend. Fortunately no white stuff here..

Mystiarra said:

...is there a Goodwill or other such store in your area where they can be donated to? 

Mystiarra said:

...no, don't think we'll see one before election day, maybe not until the end of the year.

Yeah also looking forwared to November 4th as I am currently being "carpet bombed" with emails for donations, phonebanking, working at polls (we've had full mail in voting here for 22 years so no polling sites), and related surveys.

i do have a st francis donation store nearby, mebbe they eve come to pick it up.

every time i see the ad for dems donations, hi boo hoo, wheres my stimulus  doh
    when i file my taxes i give something to the wildlife fund.  my amazon smile goes to a local no kill shelter.  i donate to aspca.  i havent found any groups rescuing the elderly.

McGyver said:

Semi-stupid Complaint:

So, now the complaint... 

Laterz.

jedi kitchen utensils.

goood luck with the urgent care.  doc in a box

laugh

...cute.

Mystiarra said:
    McGyver said:

Semi-stupid Complaint:

So, now the complaint... 

Laterz.

jedi kitchen utensils.

goood luck with the urgent care.  doc in a box

I decided on letting my fibroblasts do the work instead of thread... apparently my understanding of calling ahead to make an appointment was that there was some point to calling ahead and giving one's information, and the urgent care place's idea of an appointment is calling ahead, and once you arrive being told there was no wait to walk in to tell them you were there, but you can now wait in the parking lot for two hours...

Yeah...no.

Before I left I took off the bandage to see if it was still bleeding, and it was sticking shut so I was double minded about even bothering to go... two hours was a deal breaker.

McGyver said:

Semi-stupid Complaint:

So, now the complaint... 

Laterz.

And yet you were typing all this...  Couldn't be too bad.  Just use superglue.enlighteneddevil

Well, I was reading the complaint thread before I did the slicing and my wife was calling a different urgent care place to see if they would take a walk in, so I decided to complain while I was waiting for an answer.

I've used cyanoacrylate glue to close wounds before... only certain kinds really work (mainly more viscous types) and if the wound is in an area that wants to stretch open, like the thigh or forearm, it always pops open... of course medical grade does a better job... CA glues also tend to come apart if they are subject to prolonged moisture.
    I've actually glued finger cuts shut a few times while I was working on something that was on a dead line, because I couldn't afford to get blood on the project and stupid bandaids are useless most of the time.

I used to have a type of CA glue that I used for sensitive plastics and styrene foam, I was told by the vendor it was the same as the medical formula... but apparently after using it a bunch of time to close pesky wounds, I found out, yes... it was a medical formula, but not for wounds, for attaching medical sensors and devices to skin, which apparently the vendor didn't understand.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited October 2020
    McGyver said:

Semi-stupid Complaint:

So, now the complaint... 

Laterz.

Well, most urgent cares here and there will get you in pretty promptly.  I had to have a "something" lanced last December on the back of my finger and at the urgent care (across the street from a real hospital), this tiny little Asian doctor lady came out with a scalpel to pierce the thing and drain it.  OMG, I've never felt such pain before.  On the BACK of my finger, where there are supposedly not as many nerve endings!

But I was in and out of there in less than an hour with a bandage and a 'script for an antibiotic.  I SHOULD have gotten a big lollipop for not crying.  I really think I deserved that.

McGyver said:
    McGyver said:

Semi-stupid Complaint:

So, now the complaint... 

Laterz.

Well, I was reading the complaint thread before I did the slicing and my wife was calling a different urgent care place to see if they would take a walk in, so I decided to complain while I was waiting for an answer.

Wait a minute...does your wife regularly um, "foretell" your injuries and get started calling urgent care places before the bloodletting begins?

Either she's very prescient, or she knows something you don't.

One other question:  When did you start sleeping with one eye open?  wink

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on

it not raining.  considering sleeping all day today

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited October 2020

Ugh, the neighbor lady sliced her finger pretty deep in one of the machines. Lucky for her I butterfly stitched it up for her well before she went. She sat in the waiting room of the hospital almost all day, by the time she was actually seen, they said it had been too long to put in stitches. You would think if it was time sensitive like that, they might push her up in the line or something.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,957
    Gordig said:

Got my card installed, but had to slightly disassemble my case to do it. When I built this computer, I deliberately bought just about the shallowest case I could find, because I was originally planning this as a mobile audio production rig, with an eye towards video editing. Daz and 3D work in general wasn’t even a consideration at the time. So even though I knew all this when I bought the 2060, I never got around to looking up the dimensions to see if I’d need a new case as well. 

Good GOD man, it's a good thing that you didn't post this to the PCMasterrace reddit sub, as they would have put up a contract hit on you!

R.I.P. airflow...

TheKD said:

Ugh, the neighbor lady sliced her finger pretty deep in one of the machines. Lucky for her I butterfly stitched it up for her well before she went. She sat in the waiting room of the hospital almost all day, by the time she was actually seen, they said it had been too long to put in stitches. You would think if it was time sensitive like that, they might push her up in the line or something.

what happened to the first do no harm vow?  neglectful should count

This discussion has been closed.