The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,454
    edited October 2020

Ah, yes.  Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue".  When I took a new job in the Orlando, Florida area in '82 I was in the process of buying a home in Winter Park (immediately north of Orlando) but there was some delay and I couldn't move in for a couple months.  So, having already sold my old house the realtor put us up in one of her other houses in Winter Park.  While in the temporary house, the neighbor on our east had somebody who played piano hours on end, mostly Gershwin, rather well.  At the time he was particularly practicing "Rhapsody in Blue" so I got to hear a lot of it.  Never a noticable mistake. Our own private concert while sitting in our fruit tree filled luscious back garden.  I later found out that the person in that house was Tzimon Barto.  Didn't meet him at the time but did finally meet and talk with him backstage at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC, during intermission.  Where he confirmed that that house in Winter Park was where he lived back in the early '80s

Here's Tzimon Barto playing Gershwin's "Concerto in F"

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,943
    edited October 2020

..a work often overshadowed in concert programmes by the Rhapsody and American in Paris, but one that is no less exquisite and exciting.

Made for wonderful listening this evening.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,454
    edited October 2020

Another connection with Gershwin and me is that his "Concerto in F" was composed just a few miles from here at the Chautauqua Institute. 

https://chqdaily.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/made-in-chautauqua-cso-returns-to-gershwins-concerto-in-f-with-parker-chen/

I could play fragments of the "Rhapsody in Blue".  But like I've said before, I'm just a frustrated amateur.sad

Interesting article about Tzimon Barto. https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/13/AR2011011304398.html?sid=ST2011011502976

The article mentions his performance at the Kennedy Center in Washington in 1988.  It was there at that concert that I made the effort to meet him backstage.  When the conductor (a small man) walked onto stage he was followed by this 26 year old great behemoth of a man wearing black velvet pants and a purple silk pirate shirt with blousy arms that did nothing to hide the broad shoulders and rippling muscles underneath.heart  Almost identical to what I was wearing while sitting in the audience.  After having read the program notes for the evening I just had to know if it had been he who'd played Gershwin as our neighbor 6 years earlier.  The orchestra at the Kennedy Center goes out onto the small patio at the south end of the building overlooking the Potomac River for a quick smoke during intermission.  The audience on the other hand goes out on the bigger patio area on the west side of the building directly facing the river.  However, knowing that the orchestra hides just around the corner, I wandered back there (it's a looong walk) and waited until I saw him come out.  I did talk with him to confirm he'd been our neighbor in Winter Park, and I also asked if he felt his muscular size affected his playing.  His reply was yes, it gave him a wider range of dynamics.  Which as the article above mentions is what critics complained about his playing, some too loud, some too soft.frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

soggs  is raining non-stop

Halloween mañana, i dont even want candy.  i do want pumpkin cheesecake tho cheeky

for a scarefest thinkin of watching the original 'invasion of the body snatchers' and the remake

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Invasion off the body snatchers gets a thumbs up for me.

I think a couple of Hammer horror films with Christopher Lee / Peter Cushing will do for me.  

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited October 2020

Half complaint, half non-complaint.  Trying out Cycles4D  right now.  I don't know if it was the plugin, Cinema4D itself, or what  but I tried pulling in an object from one of my old R13 collections and it complained about the Vray stuff being missing but then started crashing almost consistently when moving things in the viewports - or really even doing things with the viewports themselves at all, like changing the camera types.  Even exporting it out in R13 as an FBX then importing it in R23 it'd complain about the tags and start crashing the program  :/

It's strange since I've never had problems with missing plugin-tags before,  though I had some of the "viewport crash" things now and then even afterwards without the old content - just not as frequently.  No idea what's up there, even when activating minimal viewport settings, and my graphics card is stated to be more than capable of handling Cinema's advanced view features anyway...

What's also weird - and unfortunate - is its not a crash that actually generates a bug report and log.  It just hangs there for a second,  the cursor does that spinning "loading/waiting" animation, then the program just closes. No error message, no warning,  no logs.  It just closes.

Other than that mysterious problem, I'm having fun with this. I haven't actually downloaded the X-Partcles trial yet though since I'd like to improve my basic knowledge of Cinema4D before I start thinking about advanced topics!  And the  GreyscaleGorilla website's got a huge helping of amazing resources to help with that~

Couple basic renders I did with Cycles while following the quickstart guide, using something other than a boring 'ol sphere!

TS-Raptor-001_sm.jpg
    864 x 1440 - 80K
    TS-Raptor-002_sm.jpg
    1440 x 810 - 102K
    Post edited by Rezca on

feeling an urge to watch jurassic park.  after body snatchers and dark shadow.

my lucky day.  called to order a pizza for movie night and turns out they have pumpkin cheesecake .  happy happy joy joy dance.  first bite of pumpkin all year

one of those songs ya just cant sit still

its been so long since i ate a ktkat or a peanutbutter cup, just realized today, i dont crave candy any more

only food i crave is IHOP's hash browns, they make em perfect

Right so complaint time big time.
    Cinema 4D's crashing so, very frequently and it doesn't even produce a bug report when it does.  I'll be adjusting something and then it just stalls there frozen for a few seconds before closing.
    I've checked that my graphics drivers are all up to date. I've got plenty of memory on both of my hard drives. I've tried launching in Minimum Viewport Mode.  I've removed the two plugins I had (U-Render and Cycles4D).  It still just keeps on going.  I've tried to take a screenshot or make a recording of the program as its crashing,  but PrntScreen doesn't pull up anything and Bandicam seems to stall along with C4D as it goes down.

So all I can really do is just say "It crashes randomly and doesn't provide a bug report".  Hnng.

i have bandicam installed.  the free version.

edited October 2020
    Mystiarra said:

i have bandicam installed.  the free version.

Licensed version here, but it won't capture Cinema crashing. It's like whatever problem is going on here it doesn't want any other program seeing it.  PrintScreen won't capture anything, Screenhunter comes up blank, and Bandicam stalls perpetually then corrupts the video file when I finally forcequit it.

I don't know what's going on here but I've at least identified it's not a plugin issue, or an issue of being installed on my D: drive instead of C: (reinstalled it, still has issues).  All my drivers are up to date and Cinema says my graphics card is supported.  Not the BEST according to Cinebench (It rates 8 on the Top 12 list when I ran the test) but it's supported.  So I just have no idea here, and the fact its not leaving any sort of error message or log behind is even worse.  At least when OpenGL viewport crashes happened in R12 and R13 it'd give me an error message, so I don't even know if it's related to that or not  :/

I sent a Support Ticket in but its the weekend so might be a while.

Post edited by Rezca on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,180

Rezca, if the crash is occurring to video, that might explain why none of your screen capture apps are working...they all depend on the video card or video RAM in some way.  Maybe try capturing it with your smart phone, if you have one.  Not optimal, but at least you'd have some kind of visual evidence to show.

Dana

its not the worst halloween ever.  hurricane sandy was a pretty bad one.  feels like i all alone in the universe
    one is the lonliest number

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,180

Two can be as bad as one.   wink

Dana

DanaTA said:

Two can be as bad as one.   wink

Dana

the blues on an orange day.image

edited October 2020

scary. outside my door is an abyss of darkness.  and is soo quiet.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Mystiarra said:

its not the worst halloween ever.  hurricane sandy was a pretty bad one.  feels like i all alone in the universe
    one is the lonliest number

Nobody ever comes here anymore.  Especially this year.  However, I did carve a pumpkin.  It's lit with a candle keeping the spooks away from any possible visiting candy moochers.  No kids?  No problem.  I'll just save the candy for next year.  (yeah, rightdevil)

DanaTA said:

Rezca, if the crash is occurring to video, that might explain why none of your screen capture apps are working...they all depend on the video card or video RAM in some way.  Maybe try capturing it with your smart phone, if you have one.  Not optimal, but at least you'd have some kind of visual evidence to show.

Dana

Thanks for the advice!   When Support gets back to me if they ask for something visual I'll try that out.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

who is shooting off loud fireworks at 10:45 at night??

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

Anti-Goblin rockets?

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164

Someone with Matches to light them devil

Another connection with Gershwin and me is that his "Concerto in F" was composed just a few miles from here at the Chautauqua Institute. 

https://chqdaily.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/made-in-chautauqua-cso-returns-to-gershwins-concerto-in-f-with-parker-chen/

I could play fragments of the "Rhapsody in Blue".  But like I've said before, I'm just a frustrated amateur.sad

Interesting article about Tzimon Barto. https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/13/AR2011011304398.html?sid=ST2011011502976

The article mentions his performance at the Kennedy Center in Washington in 1988.  It was there at that concert that I made the effort to meet him backstage.  When the conductor (a small man) walked onto stage he was followed by this 26 year old great behemoth of a man wearing black velvet pants and a purple silk pirate shirt with blousy arms that did nothing to hide the broad shoulders and rippling muscles underneath.heart  Almost identical to what I was wearing while sitting in the audience.  After having read the program notes for the evening I just had to know if it had been he who'd played Gershwin as our neighbor 6 years earlier.  The orchestra at the Kennedy Center goes out onto the small patio at the south end of the building overlooking the Potomac River for a quick smoke during intermission.  The audience on the other hand goes out on the bigger patio area on the west side of the building directly facing the river.  However, knowing that the orchestra hides just around the corner, I wandered back there (it's a looong walk) and waited until I saw him come out.  I did talk with him to confirm he'd been our neighbor in Winter Park, and I also asked if he felt his muscular size affected his playing.  His reply was yes, it gave him a wider range of dynamics.  Which as the article above mentions is what critics complained about his playing, some too loud, some too soft.frown

...I learned the entire solo part, but the college I was at never performed it.

edited November 2020
    Mystiarra said:

soggs  is raining non-stop

Halloween mañana, i dont even want candy.  i do want pumpkin cheesecake tho cheeky

for a scarefest thinkin of watching the original 'invasion of the body snatchers' and the remake

...got a small bottle of Walker Blue for my treat today.

Mystiarra said:

one of those songs ya just cant sit still

...sweet.. 

• who is shooting off loud fireworks at 10:45 at night??

Someone getting in early for the Fifth of November - or mixing it with Halloween.

edited November 2020

So found that my seven year old license for 3DCoat still works with the latest version. When they said 'permanent' they must have really meant it!
    Taking the time to paint some models.  Simple painting, but painting all the same :)

Someone getting in early for the Fifth of November - or mixing it with Halloween.

Novemberween!  It's for people who want to celebrate Halloween for more than just one day!!

Post edited by Rezca on
    edited November 2020

..well the site's back up but not without some issues.  Seems my PC+ membership has been cancelled even though it isn't supposed to expire until late June of next year.   Being a Sunday probably won't be fixed until tomorrow so there go the PC+ for a day items I had in my cart (which were deleted as well).

I remember several years ago when they performed a store/site upgrade during this particular sale and for the final few days through the last weekend "catch-up" sale, none of the discounts applied (and there wasn't a "make up extension" that following Monday to compensate either).

They should never, ever do site updates during a major sale event like this.

• Everyone's PC membershp is showing as cancelled - it's being worked on.

...yeah I saw the other thread.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Guy Fawkes Day/Night

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Hey, remember when this site worked really well all the time? 

Yeah, me neither. Short-term memory is about shot though. Could just be me. cheeky

This discussion has been closed.