The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

kyoto kid said:

NylonGirl said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Arghhh..., my microwave oven is making mechanical rattling noises as the platter turns.  2nd day of this malady.sad

We have a very basic, low power microwave. I wanted to replace it with a fancy overblown one whenever it stopped working. But the darn thing won't stop working. It's been just horribly reliable for more than a decade. The person who bought it for us doesn't remember buying it. Maybe he didn't buy it. Maybe that thing has always been there.

...I used to have an early Amana Radar Range™ that came with the old flat I previously rented.  It was pretty basic with no revolving platter.  Worked perfectly fine for the 18 years I was there and even outlasted the fridge and flooring.

The magnetrons in those things were ginormous... it's part of my backstory on how I became Electronman for a brief time in the 90s.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

Complaint:  Fixing a PC for a friend of mine.  Powers up, fans all spinning, no output from graphics cord, no beep codes.  Unfortunately, I lost all my meters and spare parts back in Hurricane Sandy, and there's no alternate video output.  Tried both HDMI and DP ports on the card with two different monitors and different cables, got nothing.  So I thought it was probably the graphics card, but told him I couldn't be sure.  Replaced the card, and nada.  No idea how I can track down the problem.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

are the beeps morse code?

a cuppa hot miso soup would hit the spot right about now

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,738

Fixmypcmike said:

Complaint:  Fixing a PC for a friend of mine.  Powers up, fans all spinning, no output from graphics cord, no beep codes.  Unfortunately, I lost all my meters and spare parts back in Hurricane Sandy, and there's no alternate video output.  Tried both HDMI and DP ports on the card with two different monitors and different cables, got nothing.  So I thought it was probably the graphics card, but told him I couldn't be sure.  Replaced the card, and nada.  No idea how I can track down the problem.

I vaguely remember a person telling me he had to do something to disable a processor's integrated graphics in order for the computer to use the discrete graphics card. But this was long ago, when there were only microwaves.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited January 2021

If you haven't already done so, remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes to let the charge drain out of the system.  That should reset the BIOS.  Or if you can find the manfacturer's manual for the motherboard use the jumper (if any) to reset the BIOS.indecisionfrown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited January 2021

Remove all unnecessary peripheral devices, i.e. HD, DVD, circuit cards, etc.  Get down to just the power supply, motherboard CPU, graphics card & RAM to see if you can get it to at least POST on the monitor and drop into the BIOS configurator.

I'm assuming the owner hasn't done any "home improvement" to his system, like replacing the CPU or memory or adding an HD or upgrading to a new OS?  

Any possibility that the system could benefit from an updated BIOS download?

Remove some memory if it has more than one.  Try alternating memory sticks.  Try alternate memory slots.

Try a different power supply.  Bad PS, wonky voltages cause all sorts of mysterious problems.

Examine motherboard with bright light and magnifying glass to look for burned spots or popped capacitor tops.

Replace CPU.

And as a last resort, admit failure. Suggest a local professional fix-it place, or point customer to an on-line catalog for new computer.frown  But if he's desperate for a 10 year old computer that's been souped up to run like 5 year old computer I have a few I'd sell for $100 + shipping but, honestly, with the price of shipping these days they wouldn't be worth it except to someone who just plays solitare and browses the web.indecision

edited January 2021

Non-complaint:  Yesterday I got a ride uptown to my eye doctor.  My infection has been clearing slowly, but the eye doctor gave me some antibiotic eyedrops and said if the problem is in my sinuses and persists, to go to my regular doctor.  The drops seem to be working.

Complaint:  While examining my eyes he correctly reported that I've been having trouble with blurry areas in my left eye.  Yes I am, how did he know?  He said there is scaring at the back of the lens capsule sack that holds the cataract replacement plastic lens.  He talked me into coming in to have laser surgery in April to fix the scaring.  Apparently it's a standard and common procedure and takes just 10 minutes and is covered by my insurance.  He also pointed out that it's been 3 years since I'd had my cataract surgery and haven't been back since.  Time flies when one is having fun or old.  It's time for new eye exam for new prescriptions and possibly new glasses.indecision

siri says 21F tnite.

has the prices on hdr cameras come down?

tried to search amazon for a 96 bit high dynamic range camera, came up empty

watched the flintstones movie, only cuz the dinos are cute.  never realized before Fred wears a dress.  wa scared every time dan goodman sat down.  not something i want a peep  

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,180

I think they're called tunics!

Dana

edited January 2021

Mystiarra said:

siri says 21F tnite.

Back in the early 2000s I was doing HDR photography with a digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 995).  Wonderful camera for the time.  Only camera I've ever had for which I had all the accessories.  Telephoto, longer telephoto, wideangle, wider wideangle, and 183 degree fisheye set of lenses, filter set, Speedlight flash, microscope adapter, ringlight, remote shutter release.  Wonderful system.  I started out using it to make spherical images with the fisheye lens, (2 images for complete sphere) I also used that setup to do HDR imaging with 3 or 5 exposures for each image.  Later, for higher resolution, I switched to using the Wideangle lens that needed something like 26 image positions to cover a sphere and with 5 exposures at each position meant that it took me over an hour to take a complete photo.  During which the sun would move appreciably and change the shadow positions.frown  Then it took hours to stitch an image together in the computer with outrageously expensive software and match all the exposures and create the finished digital spherical HDR image then to reduce the HDR down to displayable or printable brightness ranges.  Back then automatic equipment was way out of my price range.  But I did get a massively heavy tripod (for stability) and an outrageously expensive tripod head to permit placing the camera's imaging center at exactly the center of the center of rotation of the tripod.  I made some amazing images but I've given it up and the camera and other equipment sits in the attic now, depreciating.

I have noticed that spherical cameras are now available as are automatic HDR cameras but although I caught the wave 18 years ago, I'm now just swimming for shore.  Of all the images I made, most of them are just in my portfolio.  I did sell a few but never made any money at it.

NikonCoolpix995.jpeg
    480 x 414 - 25K
    edited January 2021

DanaTA said:

I think they're called tunics!

Dana

If it has a belt.  Otherwise it's a dress.  Or at most, a nightshirt. indecision 

LeatherGryphon said:

Mystiarra said:

siri says 21F tnite.

Back in the early 2000s I was doing HDR photography with a digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 995).  Wonderful camera for the time.  Only camera I've ever had for which I had all the accessories.  Telephoto, longer telephoto, wideangle, wider wideangle, and 183 degree fisheye set of lenses, filter set, Speedlight flash, microscope adapter, ringlight, remote shutter release.  Wonderful system.  I started out using it to make spherical images with the fisheye lens, (2 images for complete sphere) I also used that setup to do HDR imaging with 3 or 5 exposures for each image.  Later, for higher resolution, I switched to using the Wideangle lens that needed something like 26 image positions to cover a sphere and with 5 exposures at each position meant that it took me over an hour to take a complete photo.  During which the sun would move appreciably and change the shadow positions.frown  Then it took hours to stitch an image together in the computer with outrageously expensive software and match all the exposures and create the finished digital spherical HDR image then to reduce the HDR down to displayable or printable brightness ranges.  Back then automatic equipment was way out of my price range.  But I did get a massively heavy tripod (for stability) and an outrageously expensive tripod head to permit placing the camera's imaging center at exactly the center of the center of rotation of the tripod.  I made some amazing images but I've given it up and the camera and other equipment sits in the attic now, depreciating.

I have noticed that spherical cameras are now available as are automatic HDR cameras but although I caught the wave 18 years ago, I'm now just swimming for shore.  Of all the images I made, most of them are just in my portfolio.  I did sell a few but never made any money at it.

a doodad called a LUT  ? 

17F and the wind is picking up.  praying no one is leaving their buppies outside tonite.

bossman is aking for changes to the spreadsheet, told him all the formula updates will take time.  no need to spoil them by staying up all night speedy work done.

busy with getting the 8.1s into carrara. o'course the 8 morphs and pose controls arent gonna connect.  facs wont work.

edited January 2021

Complaint:  Lots of snow last night, on top of the lots of snow we already had.  Winter has arrived at last.indecision

Non-complaint:  Wheee..., my new bigger, better, 27", 2K monitor arrives today.  Yay!smiley

Complaint:  I need to get in gear and brave opening my door to sweep the snow off my porch and at least part of the way down the driveway so the UPS delivery guy doesn't curse me for having to slug through knee high snow while carrying a big box.indecision

Complaint... 

New scam call that's probably from a boiler room operation in the US...

"Hi! This is (a human anal parasite) from national disability. I’m calling because you had inquired about applying for monthly Social Security disability benefits. If you could call me back as soon as you can at (XXX) XXX-XXXX, we can get started on your application for monthly disability money. It is a time-sensitive matter, so fast-action is required for these types of Social Security benefits. So, if you’re already receiving Social Security benefits, free to ignore this call, this is an issue you don't need to worry about. But if you do want to apply for Social Security disability benefits, please call me back as soon as you can…."

That's more or less the script.

This one had a peppy young girl reading the script, but there are lots of others, enough that I'd say it's definitely a live call and the speaker is definitely American.

The goal of these parasites is to find an elderly individual or someone who's recently lost a spouse who used to handle the finances and rip them off. They are probably banking on Covid having killed off spouses and creating desperation and confusion.

I wish I could rain fiery hell down on ALL these scumbags.

edited January 2021

McGyver said:

Complaint... 

"Hi! This is (a human anal parasite) from national disability. I’m calling because you had inquired about applying for monthly Social Security disability benefits. If you could call me back as soon as you can at (XXX) XXX-XXXX, we can get started on your application for monthly disability money. It is a time-sensitive matter, so fast-action is required for these types of Social Security benefits. So, if you’re already receiving Social Security benefits, free to ignore this call, this is an issue you don't need to worry about. But if you do want to apply for Social Security disability benefits, please call me back as soon as you can…."

This one had a peppy young girl reading the script, but there are lots of others, enough that I'd say it's definitely a live call and the speaker is definitely American.

The goal of these parasites is to find an elderly individual or someone who's recently lost a spouse who used to handle the finances and rip them off. They are probably banking on Covid having killed off spouses and creating desperation and confusion.

Hello, I am contacting you in response to your request for fiery hell precipitation.  Today and today only we are offering unlimited quantities of lava and burning napalm rain at 50% off our standard price.   Your name has been added to our list of pepetual contactees.  Be aware however, that failure to take advantage of this limited time offer will result in your name being moved to our list of available precipitation targets, which we sell to people who are vindictive just for the hell of it.  Thank you for your attention and we await your reply.  

Respectfully, Damien Fieryrainmaker. kisskiss

Complaint... went to reply to LGs post and forum ate my reply... it was almost funny, but I'm too lazy to rewrite it... also I already forgot most of it.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    edited January 2021

The Forum Ate My Homework Complaint Thread

Post edited by TJohn on

Awwww.... dogo.

i overslept.  totally missed friday daylight hours.

is 10F wind chill out there.  doubtful i'd a gone for my walk in this.

complaint - went thru the hours of work to make a non-carrara crashing 8.1 preset.  had it all working but i'd saved them with arms down posed.  took em back into ds to zero the pose, resaved them as character presets.  woes.  they crashing carrara again.  now i has to choose between starting over, leaving them in the arms down pose, or figuring out why they crashing again.  and then i have to wonder why i trying.  dunno i wanna spend the money for Mike 8.1. 

TJohn said:

The Forum Ate My Homework Complaint Thread

omg acute adorability high. heart  look a the size of his paws, gonna be a big buppy  heartheart 

• @McGyver:  Damien Fieryrainmaker sent me a note indicating that he's still waiting for your reply.    Munching computers are no excuse.broken heart

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,738

LeatherGryphon said:

@McGyver:  Damien Fieryrainmaker sent me a note indicating that he's still waiting for your reply.    Munching computers are no excuse.broken heart

Is that like Daimler Chrysler? 

complaiant  store doesnt show me new stuff.  cleared my daz cookies didnt help

eve logged out.  i see 37104 items.  i see 37,4## for a brief 1 second then it changes to 37104

i really dont want to use a microsoft browser.  theyll sell my data to Damien Fieryrainmaker

LeatherGryphon said:

McGyver said:

Complaint... 

Hello, I am contacting you in response to your request for fiery hell precipitation.  Today and today only we are offering unlimited quantities of lava and burning napalm rain at 50% off our standard price.   Your name has been added to our list of pepetual contactees.  Be aware however, that failure to take advantage of this limited time offer will result in your name being moved to our list of available precipitation targets, which we sell to people who are vindictive just for the hell of it.  Thank you for your attention and we await your reply.  

when i hit my 50s. i called tmobile to complain about the volume of scam/spam calls i was receiving.  the tmobile rep said the scammers target the over 50 crowd cuz we the most vulnerable.

i was like, and knowing that, couldnt tmobile do something to protect me?

i like to think i'm scam savvy, a  few times i fell for it.

was a call from someone claiming to be a point of contact from my insurance company.  they some how knew was aetna at the time. 

edited January 2021

Non-complaint:  Wheee... my new 27", 2K monitor has arrived.  Ooh, nice impress factor.yes  It has a line of RBG lighting along the bottom.  Ooh, colors.

Complaint:  (*Sigh*) no matter how carefully I thought I designed my new monitor cabling setup to fit my new layout, it got boogered up by the monitor not having 3 inputs as alluded to in the catalog, but only two (HDMI & DP).  Also, my memory failed me and I didn't notice when I checked one of my other monitors that it also didn't have a DP input.  So despite ordering several cables all the right length and correct (for my design) plugs, I've found myself with unuseable cables and a computer that lost a game of musical chairs by not having a monitor.  Oh, I can rig up something for the left out computer but it makes my lab messy and I'm unable to clean up properly until I rethink my cabling design and order the correct cables.

No big deal having unuseable cables.  They will probably come in handy sometime in the future.

'Nother complaint:  Now that my new monitor is in place and I've tried to work with it and all my other computers too, my number of keyboards & mice has become bothersome.  I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and design-in a KVM switch  for 2 or 3 or 4 of the machines to make my keyboard/mouse situation more manageable.  (*Sigh*) $$

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

Mystiarra said:

LeatherGryphon said:

McGyver said:

Complaint... 

when i hit my 50s. i called tmobile to complain about the volume of scam/spam calls i was receiving.  the tmobile rep said the scammers target the over 50 crowd cuz we the most vulnerable.

i was like, and knowing that, couldnt tmobile do something to protect me?

i like to think i'm scam savvy, a  few times i fell for it.

was a call from someone claiming to be a point of contact from my insurance company.  they some how knew was aetna at the time. 

...yeah I keep getting robocalls about my car warranty expiring.  The funny thng is I haven't owned a car since the 1970s and don't' even have a drivers' licence anymore.  I contacted my carrier. they loaded an anti robocall utility on my phone but it doesn't seem to stop the calls.  As they come form a different numbers each time rejecting/blocking the number is pointless.  Also a bit infuriating as I am on a limited minutes plan so I'm paying for them. Often times they come at very early morning hours as well (once as around 05:00) . Guess they don't realise here on the west coast people may still be sleeping. 

Hmm, Daz Cookies, wonder if they're tasty and go well with hot cocoa. If I had access to a digital printer I could make a Daz logo cookie cutter. Would need a few different coloured sugars sprinkles though.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,180
    edited January 2021

@KK: just don't answer calls if you don't recognize the number/name.  If it's really a business that you're involved with, they'll leave voice mail!   But...I thought you said you had Consumer Cellular?  I have that and have unlimited minutes, and unlimited texts.  So why would you be concerned about minutes?

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

My ISP accidently cancells my account and it takes them more than a week to organise me a new one. After more than a dozen calls to the Indian call centre the last person I spoke to knew his sh*t and put me back on line in 2 hours. He should have been the first person I spoke to.

This discussion has been closed.