The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

did i mention i accidentakky deleted 7,000 work emails?  i was cleanig up my googl mail. had it filtered to older mail.  at some point lost the filter and just kept deleting away.  ignoring the pop up message i was deleting over a 100 conversations from trash. >.<  oh well.

my bday coming,  thinkin is time i had my own cast iron skillet.  dunno what is a good one

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited January 2021

Non-complaint:  Wheee..., there's snow on the ground, lots of it.  But the driveway has been cleared.  The roads are clear.  There will be no snow tomorrow (Sunday).  And best of all, on Monday it will be cold but sunny, and  I have a ride to way uptown to the good stores along "franchise row" on the other side of the city.  Well, useful stores, anyway.  WalMart, KFC, a liquor store, a proper drugstore.  For the last 10 weeks I haven't been anywhere outside my little town except to do laundry near the first traffic light west of my home.  Cabin fever is setting in again.  All my Amazon and NewEgg orders have arrived.  The games of musical chairs with my computer hardware are done.  The new computers are well on their way to being retrained for their reassigned tasks.  There's no more excitement at home anymore.  Gotta go somewhere, see buildings, and parking lots, and masked people.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

...there's talk of frozen water from the sky here, but above 500' elevation (which means maybe the West Hills). Otherwise just cold rain all day for the rest of us tomorrow with temps barely making it above 40°. Pretty much will be wet all the way into the beginning of February.  

brrr frozen sky water

crawled out of the sleep cocoon for a hot cuppa barry's

it's almost valentines day.  wanted to make something, is almost too late  doh

was it the druids who were burning people in wicker cages?
    not sure who else was around in the region at the time,.  Celts?

edited January 2021

Complaint:  Miserable eye infection.sad  My left eye had been a little irritated for 2 or 3 days but last night before I went to bed it flared up into real pain.  This has happened a few times before.  I get a flake of skin or something in my eye or an infection in my nose and it make the whole left-of-center of my face hurt.  My left molar teeth roots hurt, my left sinuses hurt, my left eye muscles hurt.  It hurts terribly to move my eyes inward as when reading or looking at things closely.  Really painful trying to sleep last night.  Face throbbing.  I had to get up and come downstairs at 4:30AM and try to sleep in my recliner to keep the pressure off my face.  Thankfully, I fell right asleep until 7:00AM, then again until 8:00AM.  My eye seems a little better now and I can actually read the screen without major pain.  Although I have a feeling I'm not going to be doing a lot of computer work today.

Non-complaint:  I'm looking forward to my excursion way uptown tomorrow.  Wheee, an adventure.yes

Complaint:  Dry air:  End of the snowstorm has brought clear, cold, dry air.  I recently bought a nice digital temperature & humidity meter for indoors and it has been hovering around 32-36% humidity, but this morning (4:30AM) I saw that it was 28% and my nose & lips were dry and chaping.frown

Non-complaint:  Yay for humidifiers: So, I turned on my new ultrasonic humidifier that I bought myself for Christmas.  Yay, steam, beautiful cold steam.  It has brought the humidity back up to 30% and already I can feel the difference.  Worth every penny.yes

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Miserable eye infection.sad  My left eye had been a little irritated for 2 or 3 days but last night before I went to bed it flared up into real pain.  This has happened a few times before.  I get a flake of skin or something in my eye or an infection in my nose and it make the whole left-of-center of my face hurt.  My left molar teeth roots hurt, my left sinuses hurt, my left eye muscles hurt.  It hurts terribly to move my eyes inward as when reading or looking at things closely.  Really painful trying to sleep last night.  Face throbbing.  I had to get up and come downstairs at 4:30AM and try to sleep in my recliner to keep the pressure off my face.  Thankfully, I fell right asleep until 7:00AM, then again until 8:00AM.  My eye seems a little better now and I can actually read the screen without major pain.  Although I have a feeling I'm not going to be doing a lot of computer work today.

Non-complaint:  I'm looking forward to my excursion way uptown tomorrow.  Wheee, an adventure.yes

Complaint:  Dry air:  End of the snowstorm has brought clear, cold, dry air.  I recently bought a nice digital temperature & humidity meter for indoors and it has been hovering around 32-36% humidity, but this morning (4:30AM) I saw that it was 28% and my nose & lips were dry and chaping.frown

Non-complaint:  Yay for humidifiers: So, I turned on my new ultrasonic humidifier that I bought myself for Christmas.  Yay, steam, beautiful cold steam.  It has brought the humidity back up to 30% and already I can feel the difference.  Worth every penny.yes

Don't you end up with a coating of residue on everything after a while with an ultrasonic humidifier?

oww  eye infection.  feel better soonest  LeatherGryphon

ever make cornbread in the cast iron skillet?

• Sevrin said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Don't you end up with a coating of residue on everything after a while with an ultrasonic humidifier?

Years ago I had a similar humidifier and ran it quite often for years in our condo in Washington DC.  We kept a clean house and never noticed any significant residue except within the humidifier itself.   I used to use a Q-tip dipped in white vinegar to clean the ultrasonic diaphram itself to remove built up calcium scale every few months.  Where I'm living now, even if there were to be a residue from the humidifier being deposited on surfaces and my nick-nacks I wouldn't be able to notice it because of the amazing amount of normal dust that comes from the surrounding farm fields, the road and the house's ancient furnace ducts.  Life is full of nasty things.  Humidifier deposits are not high on my worry list.indecision 

complaint  went to order king arthur cake flour from king arthur flour.  it says unavailable.  i use the cake flour for pancakes and cornbread.  all purpose flour just aint the same.  aint that a shame.  doh cryingbroken heart

remember patty duke?  they were cousins, cousins

what started the alien ""probes"" trope.  was it the independence day movie?  a twilight zone special?

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,644

Mystiarra said:

complaint  went to order king arthur cake flour from king arthur flour.  it says unavailable.  i use the cake flour for pancakes and cornbread.  all purpose flour just aint the same.  aint that a shame.  doh cryingbroken heart

Are you sure? I checked the King Arthur site and the 3 Pack was unavailable but the single 2lb packs were still available: https://shop.kingarthurbaking.com/items/unbleached-cake-flour

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Mystiarra said:

what started the alien ""probes"" trope.  was it the independence day movie?  a twilight zone special?

Hillbillies and moonshine?... It goes back to the late 50s or early 60s or possibly even further... One of the oldest more well known stories was by a couple that claimed to have been abducted and experimented ... I think they were Betty and Barney Hil (late 60s)... that probably caught the most attention in that department.

The majority of aliens concluded long before they ever encountered humans, that the secrets of the universe are not hidden in bodily orifices, especially in those of humans.

King Arthur was a baker?... Surprised that doesn't play a bigger role in the legends.

LeatherGryphon said:

Sevrin said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Life is full of nasty things.  Humidifier deposits are not high on my worry list.indecision 

How about Flying Devil Monkeys in bellhop costumes? Spider snakes? Giant Toilet Bobbit Worms?... 

Never mind... those are more fears than worries...

Though the giant Toilet Bobbit Worm could definitely have been a 2020 kinda problem...

I'm sure everyone could easily imagine waking up one day in 2020 to find out that in addition to Covid, Murder Hornets, and toilet paper shortages, that millions of the 1.5 inch diameter, ten foot long worm pictured above were hiding in toilets around the world, attacking unsuspecting poopers across the globe.

And nobody did then... you should be able to picture that now.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,738

LeatherGryphon said:

Our air might be a bit dry too...

Desk Clock with Indoor Temperature and Humdity display 

Charlie Judge said:

Mystiarra said:

Are you sure? I checked the King Arthur site and the 3 Pack was unavailable but the single 2lb packs were still available: https://shop.kingarthurbaking.com/items/unbleached-cake-flour

oh thank you thank you.  i had indeed look at the 3 pack. 

ooo boy tummy rumblee for fresh cheical-free pancakes.  

NylonGirl said:

LeatherGryphon said:

you has 79.7 fahrenheits?!  mai tai weather. 

McGyver said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Sevrin said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Life is full of nasty things.  Humidifier deposits are not high on my worry list.indecision 

How about Flying Devil Monkeys in bellhop costumes? Spider snakes? Giant Toilet Bobbit Worms?... 

Never mind... those are more fears than worries...

Though the giant Toilet Bobbit Worm could definitely have been a 2020 kinda problem...

I'm sure everyone could easily imagine waking up one day in 2020 to find out that in addition to Covid, Murder Hornets, and toilet paper shortages, that millions of the 1.5 inch diameter, ten foot long worm pictured above were hiding in toilets around the world, attacking unsuspecting poopers across the globe.

And nobody did then... you should be able to picture that now.

a rainbow mustash.  is it a male or female? 

Mystiarra said:

...had a similar experience looking for one of my favourite old variety of potato crisps, Old Dutch Onion & Garlic.  Googling the brand says several local stores sell them here but when I check their sites on line I get a "not available within your area" message (even in a 50 mile radius for one) on the product page.  Went to the parent site, which is now in Canada (they were easily found back in Wisconsin when I was living there) but the company itself does not do direct sales.  Found a 220 gm (7.75 oz) box on Amazon but the price was 19.95$ (for a single box, not multiple quantity thereof).  That is around 2.57$ an ounce. Crikey, lobster or halibut isn't that expensive. 

Had the same issue with finding them by Wise which is the only other company that makes this variety of crisp. A local Milwaukee company Geisers, also made them, but they went out of business almost 30 years ago.  May have to write Kettle™ Brands and suggest the combination.

edited January 2021

LeatherGryphon said:

...sinuses perhaps? They are affected by humidity and pressure.  I have similar symptoms that are related to sinus issues (sinus infections are the worst) though usually it involves the full face, not just one side.  Also mine act up (like this morning) in cold damp weather (humidity here right now is 87% with a temp of 41° and a cold drizzle falling outside (some of the white stuff up in the hills to the west).  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited January 2021

NylonGirl said:

LeatherGryphon said:

OMG 1% ?surprise   I'm used to living in relatively moist places (like fungus).  Places like Florida and Washington, DC and here (western NY State) in the summer.  My body has grown used to having water in the tissues.  I suppose that raisins would have no trouble in 1% air but they might explode back to being prunes if they moved to Florida.indecision  Back in '95 I rode my motorcycle through Arizona in September in just a few hours and shriveled like an undescended ballsack.wink

edited January 2021

NylonGirl said:

LeatherGryphon said:

That's dangerously low... bad very low humidity is 12%-15%... The average relative humidity in the Sahara desert is something like 25%...

You should check around your home for an open transdimensional portal to Tatooine or something...

Maybe it's the Himalayan salt in the background that's desiccating the air...?

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited January 2021

Uncomplaint:  Yay, Microsoft has finally fixed whatever it was they needed to fix to enable my ancient laptop to download a Win10 feature update newer than 1909.  It's been almost a year since the 2004 update came out.  All my other machines have moved on up to the 2004 and then the 20H2 versions.  But my laptop has been languishing back at 1909 for about a year.  But whatever the holdup was, it's been resolved and version 20H2 is now being downloaded into my laptop.  Yay!yes

Complaint:  I had to take away the wired LAN cable from George (the ancient machine that I just dug out of the grave and breathed new life into 6 months ago) and give it to my new wonderful machine with the window and lots of RGB lights.  I thought I'd give George WiFi connection to keep him on the net.   I have an extra USB WiFi dongle that has worked fine in other machines, but "George" doesn't even turn on the dongle's power indicator.  I think George is so old that he doesn't have enough power through the USB connector.  So, now if George wants to be in the network he'll have to get a wire run to him too.  Pain in the butt.sad  Either that or I'll have to find a PCI USB2 card capable of providing enough power to drive the WiFi dongle.  Not sure George is worth it  I've already pumped too much money into him.frown  Careful George, remember you have a nice new 500GB SSD that could be useful elsewhere.devil

is peanut oil healthy like olive oil?

i need an oil to cure the cast iron skillet?

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

i keep forgetting to reinstall Daz Studio 4 after I reinstalled Windows operating system.  I should look for the Daz Connect setup program.

27F out.  a burd warbling out there, desperately calling for love in this freeze your ass feathers off

my stimulus all gone.  bought rugs, mataching curtains, a set of matching pans.  dunno why no one is coming over.  but is cheering me  up.  was feeling shabby and not in the chiq way.

i dont have an eye dr appt set at all.  procrastinating calling.  sigh  didnt eat any carrots yesterday.  forgot to go for my walk.  

i dont have a dressing table.  i'm a girl with no frippery.  i prolly look rediculous leaving my gray hair so long.  arent i supposed to have short hair and a jogging suit?  or a moomoo  procrastinating my walk a couple of hours.  i'll walk an extra lap in pennance.  a chance a buppy will follow me home.  dunno if jasper was ever found.cant see the lost dogs sign by myself.

need to throw out some shabby chairs.  haz to take em apart first.  not a screw driver, one of those alan thingies

have they invented wireless hdmi yet?  my 8cora too noisy to sleep in the room with.  its set up in other room by a drafty window.  cant run long cables cross the floor, osha hazard.

edited January 2021

Mystiarra said:

is peanut oil healthy like olive oil?

i need an oil to cure the cast iron skillet?

Peanut oil is higher in saturated fat, which is good at clogging up arteries and stuff, but peanut oil starts to scorch/burn at 450°F / 232°C, whereas olive oil (virgin olive oil) will begin to burn at around 350°F/ 177°C ... Olive oil has Omega-3 fatty acids which are good for you, but peanut oil has Omega-6 which if I'm not mistaken isn't as good for you as Omega-3... unless, I suppose you are from the planet Omega 6 in which case you are probably a sentient peanut (Mr. Peanut's home planet) in which case consuming peanut oil is cannibalism. 
    Olive oil has a more grassy lighter taste, especially extra virgin olive oil (it's from olives that have never ever dreamed of sex), and peanut oil has a more heavier oily taste.

Olive oil really is better for food, peanut oil is better for high temperature cooking... or oiling a squeaky peanut...

Avoid using baby oil... Most baby oil these days is no longer made from pressed babies and is not safe for cooking... unless it's specifically marked as Baby Cooking Oil, in which case it is safe to deep fry babies in... don't oil them with it though, because it tends to turn rancid and will smell... instead use a quality lithium grease or silicone lubricant designed for baby joints... always consult the manufacturer's owner's manual before taking a baby apart for maintenance.

I generally use non-virgin olive oil (dirty, naughty little olives) I think it's okay for slightly higher temps and it tastes better... but that usually is on the food itself not for seasoning a pan... and it's more of a grill/skillet thingie I grill steaks and pork on in the oven... but it hasn't scorched yet at 450°F

I'm guessing none of this was helpful.

Post edited by McGyver on

Legit complaint...

I just decided to wear a new pair of sneakers I bought a while ago... my older ones are "a bit" worn out... I generally buy the same brand because they fit my needs and are cheap... I forgot the one really annoying thing about them that lasts a few days or weeks after I first start wearing them...

The thread detail has these weird little "cups" in the design... so when you walk on tile or even polished concrete (like the floor of Home Depot) the cups act like suction cups and you feel like some freakishly large tree frog or giant gecko... 

I'm cutting little notches in them to see if that stops it... but god, that's annoying.

This discussion has been closed.