The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited February 2021

Mystiarra said:

complaint - me thinks the sales tax in suffolk county went up.

i paid 3.20 tax on 34$ pizza.  yeesh.  no more extra toppings next time

they dont give senior citizen discounts on pizza

Wow, and I thought that I was paying too much for pizza.  I get a marvelous non-fanchise, family owned establishment, large 3 topping pizza, delivered out here to the boonies, for $24 and I add a $4 tip for a total of $28   I eat one or two pieces while hot, then freeze the other 11 or 12 pieces in 2-packs for meals in the future.  I buy a pizza about every 3 or 4 weeks.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,644
    edited February 2021

Mystiarra said:

Charlie Judge said:

Mystiarra said:

complaint  went to order king arthur cake flour from king arthur flour.  it says unavailable.  i use the cake flour for pancakes and cornbread.  all purpose flour just aint the same.  aint that a shame.  doh cryingbroken heart

remember patty duke?  they were cousins, cousins

Are you sure? I checked the King Arthur site and the 3 Pack was unavailable but the single 2lb packs were still available: https://shop.kingarthurbaking.com/items/unbleached-cake-flour

thanks.  putting in my king arthur order now.  have you seen corn flour or corn meal anywhere in their shop? 
    all i find is blogs when i search.  >.< 

The closest I see is corn bread and muffin mix:  https://shop.kingarthurbaking.com/items/gluten-free-cornbread-and-muffin-mix?_gl=1*8nlt16*_ga*MjQ1MjMzNDYxLjE2MTE1MTU5NjA.*_ga_Z9D5WVK195*MTYxMjE5NzE3Ni4zLjEuMTYxMjE5NzMwNS4w

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i substitute half a cup of corn flour for half cup cake flour to make pancakes.  throw in some fresh blueberries.  warm blue berries so heavenly.  serve with a bit of kerrygold butter

ymma yumma

filing irs torture trying to read the screen.  no one considers elderly vision problems when designing websites.

freedom to chains 1965

edited February 2021

i miss george carlin.  i enjoyed his stand up most of my life.  early as the 60s

not a single cuss word  lol

remember archie bunker?

nostalgia is heavy on me today.  sigh.  you ever get like that?

Post edited by Mistara on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Complaint...

SNOW!!

I wanted to do some 3D model making, but now my arms feel like lead... thanks to the snow... my creativity is going unaddressed... I have so many 3D modeling projects l shelved over the last year and a half... my freebie collection is molding away... I haven't added anything is so long it's not funny.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,644
    edited February 2021

McGyver said:

Complaint...

SNOW!!

I wanted to do some 3D model making, but now my arms feel like lead... thanks to the snow... my creativity is going unaddressed... I have so many 3D modeling projects l shelved over the last year and a half... my freebie collection is molding away... I haven't added anything is so long it's not funny.

You could always go outside and make a "real life" 3D snowman. 

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Charlie Judge said:

McGyver said:

Complaint...

SNOW!!

snow angels.  snow cones

Charlie Judge said:

McGyver said:

Complaint...

SNOW!!

The snow isn't snowman grade and the 50+ mph wind gusts would disrupt my enjoyment of the endeavor... and then there is my stupid tired arms... seriously, hours later and they are still tired and heavy feeling from cleaning up out there... and then there is the alcohol I've consumed since, which I'm sure would just lead to something dumb happening out there... better off that it leads to something dumb happening indoors instead... at least it's warmer.

My arm smells like dog biscuits and cologne... and I've been in the vicinity of neither... 

my breath smells like drambuie.  is dark out but think is still snowing

edited February 2021

Non-snow complaint:  For nearly two decades I've had a 3D application called "MojoWorld1.0" that makes wonderful fractal planets & landscapes.  It's been installed on all my graphics machines over the years.  I use it infrequently but I love poking around in it once in a while.   After having built two new computers with lots of muscle & storage I'm moving my graphics operations from my ancient HP to a completely new machine and have discovered to my horror that MojoWorld will not install.sad  I get a message similar to "This application is not appropriate for this OS", which I interpret to mean the installer doesn't recognize Win10 or Win10 expects something from the app that isn't there.  The last time I had MojoWorld install without problem was onto a Win7 system.  Since then it has been grandfathered-in and survived an upgrade of the system to Win10 and even been copied from HD to SSD and run OK, but now, on a virgin Win10, it won't install.  (*sigh*) and another one bites the dust. frown

Non-complaint:  On the bright side, I did get my 20 year old copy of Visio2000 to install on my new Win10 system.  Yay, I can now modify my network diagram map to show my new layout and connectivity.  The icons for specific network equipment are a little dated but I can change the labels and otherwise custom modify or create completely new icons.   Wheee... documentation.smiley

i remember when my venice fl rent was 360 a month.  1982

san antonio 1987 rent on 2 bedroom, balcony, pool 360 a month, another 120 for furniture, 

sigh

heard the great britain bill of rights has 13 rights on it?  wonder what the 3 we missed.

Belgium and German have over 20?

watching a knight's tale.

first time he sees josslyn, i dont get it, her handmaid is a lot prettier.

chaucer  lol heart

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,738

Mystiarra said:

i substitute half a cup of corn flour for half cup cake flour to make pancakes.  throw in some fresh blueberries.  warm blue berries so heavenly.  serve with a bit of kerrygold butter

ymma yumma

My method of making pancakes is kind of how the chip companies make CPUs. I make a bunch of them and keep the ones that look usable.

• It got cold today; down to 59.  And now it's 45.  I know, I know, nobody feels bad for me.  And you shouldn't, honestly!

Because I took this opportunity to cook.  Some steaks, each bigger than my head, are in the oven cooking over a mess of veggies right now!  So don't feel sorry for me, no no; that wouldn't be a good use of your time.  wink

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited February 2021

Subtropic Pixel said:

It got cold today; down to 59.  And now it's 45.  I know, I know, nobody feels bad for me.  And you shouldn't, honestly!

Because I took this opportunity to cook.  Some steaks, each bigger than my head, are in the oven cooking over a mess of veggies right now!  So don't feel sorry for me, no no; that wouldn't be a good use of your time.  wink

...that was 10° warmer than Portland today 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kid said:

Subtropic Pixel said:

It got cold today; down to 59.  And now it's 45.  I know, I know, nobody feels bad for me.  And you shouldn't, honestly!

...that was 10° warmer than Portland today 

LOL, and the best part is that little caption below the picture... "this image has been resized to fit the page"

is 4am am still up.  wind noises spooky

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

...hoping the power doesn't go out.  Last thing you need is no heat. . 

edited February 2021

Non-complaint:   Music to DAZ by.  Found this performance of Modest Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition", in its original piano solo form.  As explained in the 1 minute introductory narration, the various conversions to full orchestra by different composers from Stokowsky to Emerson,Lake & Palmer don't quite capture the subtle power when heard in the piano form by a great pianist.  This wonderful performance by Vladimir Ashkenazy in its wide dynamic range of volume and musical nuance does expose the momentary entrancement with each new painting as the figurative observer promenades through the gallery.

The titles of the gallery pictures give a hint to the musical mood as the visitor encounters them.  (see timing list in the YouTube page)  And unfortunately, it is believed that most if not all of the actual paintings that inspired the work no longer exist having been destroyed in a fire and/or additional causes.

Modest Mussorgsky:  "Pictures at an Exhibition" 

Promenade

The Gnome

Promenade (2)

The Old Castle

Promenade (3)

Children's Quarrel after Games

Cattle

Promenade (4)

Ballet of Unhatched Chicks

"Samuel Goldengerg and Schmuyle"

Promenade (5)

Limoges.  The Market

Catacombs

The Hut on Hen's Legs (Baba Yaga)

(27:00) The Great Gates of Kiev  (Note:  The representation of the church bells throughout the "The Great Gates of Kiev" are quite good.)

i'm listening to singing mice smiley

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-snow complaint:  For nearly two decades I've had a 3D application called "MojoWorld1.0" that makes wonderful fractal planets & landscapes.  It's been installed on all my graphics machines over the years.  I use it infrequently but I love poking around in it once in a while.   After having built two new computers with lots of muscle & storage I'm moving my graphics operations from my ancient HP to a completely new machine and have discovered to my horror that MojoWorld will not install.sad  I get a message similar to "This application is not appropriate for this OS", which I interpret to mean the installer doesn't recognize Win10 or Win10 expects something from the app that isn't there.  The last time I had MojoWorld install without problem was onto a Win7 system.  Since then it has been grandfathered-in and survived an upgrade of the system to Win10 and even been copied from HD to SSD and run OK, but now, on a virgin Win10, it won't install.  (*sigh*) and another one bites the dust. frown

Non-complaint:  On the bright side, I did get my 20 year old copy of Visio2000 to install on my new Win10 system.  Yay, I can now modify my network diagram map to show my new layout and connectivity.  The icons for specific network equipment are a little dated but I can change the labels and otherwise custom modify or create completely new icons.   Wheee... documentation.smiley

You should check out Space Engine... I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is around $100 on Steam... I got the free Beta version a while back, which is no longer offered...

Its not Mojoworld, but you can explore space and individual planets... there are infinite procedurally generated worlds... no advanced life, but simple vegetation... I believe advanced vegetation like trees are in future development...

Those were a few old screenshots I had sitting in the OT Thread For Images over at the Art Studio forum...

Here is the Space Engine link... http://spaceengine.org/   

Before I added that I checked their site and steam... now I'm confused about what price the software is... it's either Free... $25, or $100... or someone shows up in the dead of night and takes your liver... I dunno.

But check it out, you may find it interesting... the new version is so much more advanced then mine and I get totally lost for hours exploring... I keep finding amazing images to screen capture... the new version has a huge render capability, mine is limited to screen size.

edited February 2021

@McGyver:  Looks interesting.  I'll check it out.  

Meanwhile, I've actually succeeded in getting MojoWorld to install.  I used Win10's compatability mode for XP and also installed it in a non-specially protected folder named "Program Files(XP)".  That's where I save most of my ancient Myst games so I gave it a try and yay, it works.smiley  I've spent the last half hour flying around a MojoWorld checking out what the fractals have come up with.

Also, I've suceeded installing my old overly priced spherical image stitching program named appropriately "Stitcher".  It's very old, like from early 2000's or possibly even late 1990's.  However, I have two versions.  Stitcher3.1 and an upgrade to Stitcher3.5 and a patch to bring it up to 3.5.2.  Unfortunately although I got 3.1 installed, I have yet to get the 3.5 upgrade to install.  It complains about something missing.frown  I'm going to dig out some of my old spherical image photo sets and see if version 3.1 will suffice.  I can't justify spending $$$ on a modern version of Stitcher.  

But at the end of this process I am very pleased at how fast, MojoWorld and my little test operations with Stitcher3.1 work on a modern machine.  It takes the frustration out of the process.yes

Edited to add:  Note:  After I got MojoWorld installed I found out that it is actually version 1.2 not version 1.0 and it came with the "RiverGenerator" update so I can generate fractal rivers too. Cool! cool

i cant figure out how ot set my toaster to bake.  cant read knobs buttons and diodes on the gadgetry

toaster.JPG
    229 x 329 - 18K

brownie batter doesnt taste like it used to  doesnt taste the slightest cocoa-ish

kids today are jipped on chocolate

edited February 2021

Possible non-complaint?:  I went looking on the web for a modern version of "Stitcher" for creating full spherical images (360x180 degrees) and couldn't find it.  But the last copy I had was nearly 20 years old so maybe they've folded or been bought out.  I did find, however, a product called "PTGui" which does the same thing and the website looks supiciously like the old Stitcher site did.  The new product "PTGui Standard" for a single user is way down in price at $156 from the old Stitcher.  But I was particularly intrigued by the "Pro" version for only $309 frown, which is still under the price of my copy of Stitcher bought nearly 20 years ago when money had more value, but I had more of it.  And it's a permanent license, not a subscription, can be used forever, and is transferable to new machines.  What a quaint idea!yes

I've played around with my 20 year old copy of Stitcher and realized how clumsy it was.  Yeah, it worked and worked very nicely.  Much better than some of the other competing products at the time but after looking at the features of modern stitching products it's like comparing a Model-T Ford to a Lexus.surprise

PTGui  https://www.ptgui.com

Edited to add:  Further searching reveals that yes indeedy, RealViz, makers of Stitcher and other related products was bought out by Autodesk in 2008.  But I don't know this history of PTGui or if it's related to Stitcher.

@LG Glad to hear you got MojoWorld to install... I read a while back about the company going out of business and everything just going away... That sucks, they should have sold it... Or have made it free... once you make a decision to quit Software like that which is so old, it's obvious you've made whatever money you could and it's not like someone couldn't reverse engineer it anyway, don't screw over the customers who bought into it the latest.

edited February 2021

McGyver said:

@LG Glad to hear you got MojoWorld to install... I read a while back about the company going out of business and everything just going away... That sucks, they should have sold it... Or have made it free... once you make a decision to quit Software like that which is so old, it's obvious you've made whatever money you could and it's not like someone couldn't reverse engineer it anyway, don't screw over the customers who bought into it the latest.

I was particularly impressed by the quality of MojoWorld.  The creators obviously came from a professional software design & production background.  The manual is 255 pages with Appendicies, Glossary, and Index.  Obviously written by someone with professional technical writer skills, and is published using heavy paper, wire bound, semi-hard cover(thick, stiff, translucent blue plastic), ziplock CD pocket, lots of fractal theory, tutorials & operation details.  The software just worked, and has continued to work, now in every machine I've ever installed it on for nearly 20 years.  Never found a glitch with the software.  Yes, there were patches and upgrades but always to add features, rarely to fix anything.  They did it right the first time. 

The only complaint I have about it is that the interface is obtuse.  Very sophisticated, capable & complex but it was written before GUIs for graphics software became semi-standarized, so there's a steep learning curve. 

And now, seeing it run on a modern speedy machine with lots of memory it's even more entrancing.  I might even dig into it again and try making something useful now that it doesn't take hours of rendering to make movies.  The thing with fractal landscape generators is knowing when enough detail is enough and telling it when to stop.   There was much more capability in it than I ever got around to using.  

I bought MojoWorld1 (1.2) but I know there was a MojoWorld3.  I even have a trial copy of MojoWorld3.  Much nicer than even the 1.2 version but I could never justify the cost of upgrading.

This discussion has been closed.