The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited January 2021

...not all that easy as I am also in contact with the agencies like the SSA, our State's Health commission, and several other offices.  I don't remember phone numbers very well due to my memory issue (particularly after my fall).  I even have to look up my own when I'm asked for it, so sometimes I am not sure if it is a legit call or not.  As to why I'm concerned about minutes, I have one of their more basic plans (the 15$ one + 3 GB of data for my transit and direction apps for a total of 25$/month) to save money so I have a limited number of minutes per month. I usually don't get many calls or make many but the ones I get/make usually are from/to one of the government offices I deal with which tend top have long hold queues.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,738

When my mom tried to find out what was going on with her United States Social Security, she found a phone number on a very old letter from their office. But they had a new number. When she called the old number, she got a very convincing recorded message telling her about some opportunity to receive some kind of free medical device of some sort. It took us some time to figure out it was fake because it answered a number that we dialed, a number presumably from an official source. I suppose when the administration switched phone numbers, the scammer saw an opportunity to claim the old number and use it to deceive people. Or maybe the old letter itself was a scam letter meant to get people to dial a fake number. I don't know. My mom briefly attempted to converse with the recorded voice, which seemed to pause when she spoke and then resume when she stopped. I then asked the voice if it was a real person. It continued to explain about this opportunity to receive the free medical device.

Anyway, I have a Pixel 4XL phone and I got her a Pixel 4a. They both have a Google bot inside them that answers the calls when it suspects a spammer is calling. Then the Google bot and the spam bot just have it out with each other. If it figures out the caller is not a spammer, the phone rings. And it remembers them for future calls.

...when I got my old flip phone years ago and it activated it, I was assigned a phone number.   A week or so afterwards I started getting these calls that sounded like they were from drug dealers.  Made me wonder if the number I was given was previously used by someone involved with drugs. I called the parent company had the number changed. Never received any suspicious sounding calls after that.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

still awake.  my weak will caved and got the michael 8.1.  doh

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,468
    edited January 2021

So you have to use minutes to receive calls, not just to make them? I knew that used to be the case, and was one of the reasons the US was slow to adopt mobiles, but I thought it was a thing of the past.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

kyoto kid said:

...not all that easy as I am also in contact with the agencies like the SSA, our State's Health commission, and several other offices.  I don't remember phone numbers very well due to my memory issue (particularly after my fall).  I even have to look up my own when I'm asked for it, so sometimes I am not sure if it is a legit call or not.  As to why I'm concerned about minutes, I have one of their more basic plans (the 15$ one + 3 GB of data for my transit and direction apps for a total of 25$/month) to save money so I have a limited number of minutes per month. I usually don't get many calls or make many but the ones I get/make usually are from/to one of the government offices I deal with which tend top have long hold queues.

KK try giving the phone number you use alot different ring tones ,that way you'll know if it's somebody you 'll want to talk to......if it's got the basic ring tone then it's not somebody you want to talk to ,I do it so "Family" gets one ring tone  "Medical" gets another ."SSA" gets another and "Friends" get another. That way I'm not trying to get to the phone if it's a caller I don't know.

is a snowmageddon coming

WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 12 inches possible. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph. WHERE...Portions of northeast New Jersey, southern Connecticut and southeast New York. WHEN...From late Sunday night through late Monday night.

Coastal Flood Watch from MON 8:00 PM EST until TUE 5:00 AM
    WHAT...Around two feet of inundation above ground level possible in vulnerable areas near the waterfront and shoreline.
    Gale Watch from MON 6:00 AM EST until TUE 6:00 AM

Small Craft Advisory from SUN 6:00 PM EST until MON 6:00 AM EST
    Action Recommended
    Avoid the subject event as per the instructions
    Issued By New York City - NY, US, National Weather Service
    Affected Area  Long Island Sound, The south shore and eastern bays of Long Island, and New York Harbor

edited January 2021

dad's meatloaf at miller ale house sounds so deelishhus zomg

pending snowstorm makin me hungry, like i'll never get to eat again.

Housemade signature blend of ground sirloin, bell peppers, onions, oregano and basil, served with mashed potatoes & brown gravy, topped with crispy onion rings., seasonal vegetable

zomg  

SLOW ROASTED PRIME RIB FRENCH DIP*
    Sautéed onions, Swiss cheese, warm hoagie roll, au jus.

Post edited by Mistara on

carrie58 said:

kyoto kid said:

KK try giving the phone number you use alot different ring tones ,that way you'll know if it's somebody you 'll want to talk to......if it's got the basic ring tone then it's not somebody you want to talk to ,I do it so "Family" gets one ring tone  "Medical" gets another ."SSA" gets another and "Friends" get another. That way I'm not trying to get to the phone if it's a caller I don't know.

..can only have one rigntone and one message tone. Older phone and limited plan.

Mystiarra said:

dad's meatloaf at miller ale house sounds so deelishhus zomg

pending snowstorm makin me hungry, like i'll never get to eat again.

Housemade signature blend of ground sirloin, bell peppers, onions, oregano and basil, served with mashed potatoes & brown gravy, topped with crispy onion rings., seasonal vegetable

zomg  

SLOW ROASTED PRIME RIB FRENCH DIP*
    Sautéed onions, Swiss cheese, warm hoagie roll, au jus.

...I miss mum's meatloaf.  Need to make it some time, though that would be an all day affair. 

When I lived in Olympia WA, I used to go to the old Spar Restaurant on 4th where I could get an open face meatloaf sandwich on toast with mashed potatoes all smothered in mushroom gravy.  . Unfortunately the place was taken over several years ago by the owners of a regional brewpub chain here in the northwest who kept it on the menu for awhile, but then ended up changing to their standard pub fare.  I heard from some that even when it was still offered it wasn't as good or generous as the original and was more expensive.

Richard Haseltine said:

So you have to use minutes to receive calls, not just to make them? I knew that used to be the case, and was one of the reasons the US was slow to adopt mobiles, but I thought it was a thing of the past.

I remember when we first got our phones and their deal was all of the phone minutes were free after a certain time of day. So we became accustomed to only calling each other after 9:00 or whatever. And if anybody called one of us, we'd tell them to call back after 9:00.  

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,180

NylonGirl said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I remember when we first got our phones and their deal was all of the phone minutes were free after a certain time of day. So we became accustomed to only calling each other after 9:00 or whatever. And if anybody called one of us, we'd tell them to call back after 9:00.  

I remember that, too.  Long time ago!

Dana

had an awful dream last night a deadly virus was going around.  and enforced quarantine camps with smoke stacks  weird thing i wasnt in the dream. 

mopped the kitchen floor this morning.  put up fresh curtains.
    deciding if i has the energy to tackle a closet. or a haunted mansion render

wuh oh  they upgraded the snowmageddon

WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 16 inches. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph.

my cousin said the lines are an hour long at the stop n shop  the bread section is wiped out.

coplaint  soo cold

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited January 2021

DanaTA said:

NylonGirl said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I remember that, too.  Long time ago!

Dana

Yeah, I sort of remember that too.  Best to make calls in the evening.

I had my first cell phone in '95 (a Motorola cellphone with a flip open bottom half and an extendable antenna)  I took it around the US with me on my motorcycle trip.  Ooh, high tech for the time.  I remember using it to help some people broken down along an Interstate on-ramp in Montana.  They thought they were stranded and here this guy on a motorcycle stops for a cigarette, sees their plight and lends them his phone to call for service.  They didn't know such a thing was possible.  And even I was surprised that it was able to make a connection.  We were way out in the boonies.  I also remember being pissed off while in the middle of Vancouver, British Columbia and unable to use my phone because the local phone company had no contract with the big name US phone company I had my phone associated with.  I mumbled something about 3rd world countries. blush  And wandered off to find a pay phone.  I had that phone for several years and a couple overly pricy batteries until those tiny digital cell phones became the norm.

MotorolaCellPhone_1994.jpg
    794 x 794 - 33K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

complaint  the store . product lib troubles are too much for me.  angrybroken heart

• Non-Complaint:  I had to kill a cockroach today.  Got 'im!  In Florida, cockroach hunting is an official state sport, allowing for the use of machetes, throwing axes, vehicles, crossbows, sledgehammers, and 80-ton presses.  Extra points for body-checking one into the boards before dealing the coup de grâce, but you'll probably pay for that by being on the receiving end of a retaliatory body-check! 

Anyway, he tried to scurry away from me when I opened the drawer where I keep dead batteries until time to recycle.  He was small, with what looked like freshly waxed sleek and aerodynamic body armor.  And he was in the battery and lightbulb drawer, so he had a number of hiding advantages...until he decided to climb out of the drawer and make a mad dash for freedom across the kitchen floor.  So I'm still faster than a cockroach! 

Complaint:  I had to squish him with my bare foot.  I was in the kitchen looking for dead batteries while waiting for a cup of coffee to take with me to the shower (the coffee, not the batteries, get your head out 'the gutter!), so I had nary a stitch of clothing on.  Hence, the bare feet.

Non-Complaint:  He wasn't a spider or lizard and he didn't have "spidey sense" or mutant lizard superpowers.  I like those li'l guys.  That is, the lizards and spiders here in Florida, not the mutant super-lizards.  But they can climb on walls and ceilings, and my foot works best when mashing downward, not 10 to 12 toward the ceiling.

Non-Complaint:  He got flatted, for sure, but luckily it wasn't messy.  So I guess that's good!

Now for that coffee and a shower!

• Oh hey...whatever happened to the forum feature where you can browse through the thread clicking on "quote" button and just have the forum stack the quotes for you to go through later?  I like that feature.  Without it, I don't post as much.  A LOT (I mean a LOT LOT LOT) of posts here never get responded to and the forum starts to feel like we're all just "talking at" each other.  I'd much rather have an actual conversation.  smiley

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Nothing like the feeling of squooshy bug guts between the toes... or the gritty bits like the legs smooshed in for variety of texture.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Subtropic Pixel said:

A LOT (I mean a LOT LOT LOT) of posts here never get responded to and the forum starts to feel like we're all just "talking at" each other.  I'd much rather have an actual conversation.  smiley

I like to look at it like I'm talking to myself, but with witnesses...

more or less... 

The forum software has gotten a bit flaky lately... I'm not sure what the verdict was, but I thought there was going to be a forum upgrade after the store software upgrade... I dunno how any of that is working out, but hopefully if they do upgrade the forums it will not be a protracted experience. 
    The last big forum upgrade in 2013 was extremely unpleasant.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2021

McGyver said:

The forum software has gotten a bit flaky lately... I'm not sure what the verdict was, but I thought there was going to be a forum upgrade after the store software upgrade... I dunno how any of that is working out, but hopefully if they do upgrade the forums it will not be a protracted experience. 

But the competition to see who was going to be the last person to post in the old old fforum was great fun.   I think we ended up with a thread about 300 or more pages long.  I have never seen such a mad flurry of posts.   there were about 15 conversations going on in one thread,   and the answer  to each  post was seperated by heaven alone knows how many posts to the other convos.  It was Crazy, it was mad   but it was FUN

Post edited by Chohole on

Subtropic Pixel said:

Complaint:  I had to squish him with my bare foot.  I was in the kitchen looking for dead batteries while waiting for a cup of coffee to take with me to the shower (the coffee, not the batteries, get your head out 'the gutter!), so I had nary a stitch of clothing on.  Hence, the bare feet.

Non-Complaint:  He wasn't a spider or lizard and he didn't have "spidey sense" or mutant lizard superpowers.  I like those li'l guys.  That is, the lizards and spiders here in Florida, not the mutant super-lizards.  But they can climb on walls and ceilings, and my foot works best when mashing downward, not 10 to 12 toward the ceiling.

Non-Complaint:  He got flatted, for sure, but luckily it wasn't messy.  So I guess that's good!

Now for that coffee and a shower!

I definitely enjoy naked coffee. But I had not thought of trying coffee in a shower. I did manage to send a text message to someone from my wristwatch while in there.

McGyver said:

Nothing like the feeling of squooshy bug guts between the toes... or the gritty bits like the legs smooshed in for variety of texture.

Yes, we combine the crunchy cat food with the soft cat food so the cat can have a similar experience. Kind of. 

McGyver said:

...not quite as thoroughly disgusting as a banana slug though.  

Chohole said:

McGyver said:

But the competition to see who was going to be the last person to post in the old old fforum was great fun.   I think we ended up with a thread about 300 or more pages long.  I have never seen such a mad flurry of posts.   there were about 15 conversations going on in one thread,   and the answer  to each  post was seperated by heaven alone knows how many posts to the other convos.  It was Crazy, it was mad   but it was FUN

...I vaguely remember that.  I also remember how quoted posts used to "nest" until the point after so many, the  text eventually read downward instead of across (still happens when viewing the forums on a phone).

edited February 2021

complaint - me thinks the sales tax in suffolk county went up.

i paid 3.20 tax on 34$ pizza.  yeesh.  no more extra toppings next time

they dont give senior citizen discounts on pizza

Post edited by Mistara on

..ah cold pizzaria pizza, that's different. 

Charlie Judge said:

Mystiarra said:

complaint  went to order king arthur cake flour from king arthur flour.  it says unavailable.  i use the cake flour for pancakes and cornbread.  all purpose flour just aint the same.  aint that a shame.  doh cryingbroken heart

remember patty duke?  they were cousins, cousins

Are you sure? I checked the King Arthur site and the 3 Pack was unavailable but the single 2lb packs were still available: https://shop.kingarthurbaking.com/items/unbleached-cake-flour

thanks.  putting in my king arthur order now.  have you seen corn flour or corn meal anywhere in their shop? 
    all i find is blogs when i search.  >.< 

...bugger, store would not take my PC+ "Save6" coupon for January even though I tried to use it before midnight Daz time. 

This discussion has been closed.