The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• Mystiarra said:

i have a theory the medicare gap is designed to cull the herd going on to social security.

Regarding culling the herd:  (salient point at 1:20, but watch from the beginning)  Such an informative and spot-on show.smiley

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

Also the Galleries are still "coming soon!".  I'm concerned what might happen to the few pics I have/had in mine :(
    Not that I'm doing much art anymore aaah...

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited February 2021

LeatherGryphon said:

Subtropic Pixel said:

LG, I have some of the same Dove Men+Care soap (dumbest name on the planet, by the way), which here comes in boxes not shrinkwrapped (I don't think).  It has never had an overpowering scent in my bathrooms and certainly not throughout my house, and most definitely not flowery at all.  So maybe you bought the one where the soapmakers had just come back from a local "bottomless martinis" happy hour?

If my suspicion is right, then that might not even be soap in your box!

I appreciate the 2nd opinion about that brand.  The bars did come in proper looking and official looking individual cardboard boxes but the batch of 14 boxes were wrapped in an official looking printed cellophane wrapper.  However, the fact that you say yours doesn't have an overpowering smell makes me wonder if I haven't gotten a cheap foreign knock-off.  Or possibly a batch that was "cheap" because as you suggested, someone goofed.frown  Or perhaps I'm just sensitive to that particular odor.  My mother couldn't walk down the store isle where the detergents were displayed or she'd break out in hives.  That's why she'd use unscented Ivory brand soap for everything whether in bar, box, or bottle form.  Regardless I need to find a place to store the other 12 bars farther away from my nose.sad  Look out spiders in the attic, here it comes.devil

However, on the bright side, my hands are now feel smooth and silky.  Still wrinkled but not sandpapery.yes  Years ago when I played piano I'd look carefully at my hands and admire their smooth, gracefully elegant , perfect beauty.  Then I broke one during a motorcycle incident and now have screws and metal bars in one, and age has changed the skin on them from looking like form fitting tight silk gloves to tired, oversized hosiery on a desiccated cadaver.sad  But at least they're not sandpapery now.indecision

....do you have an old ice chest (not stryofoam)?  That would likely keep the odor contained

Post edited by kyoto kid on

LeatherGryphon said:

Sometimes I think birthdays are like millstones.indecision

...+1 

LeatherGryphon said:

Mystiarra said:

i have a theory the medicare gap is designed to cull the herd going on to social security.

Regarding culling the herd:  (salient point at 1:20, but watch from the beginning)  Such an informative and spot-on show.smiley

...why does thsi remind me of what I was hearing around 8 months ago? 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited February 2021

kyoto kid said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Mystiarra said:

...why does thsi remind me of what I was hearing around 8 months ago? 

That episode first aired 34 years ago in January 1986.  Some concepts are persistent.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited February 2021

Mystiarra said:

McGyver said:

LeatherGryphon said:

McGyver said:

NylonGirl said:

If all the spiders die then I would avoid that soap.

Also, if the spiders grow to dangerous proportions, I'd avoid the soap too... and the spiders... unless you are looking for an unusual pet the size of a cat that requires little attention and may eat you in your sleep.

I'm a little bit concerned that if the box of soaps is locked in the unvented attic, that the fumes might reach an explosive level. surprise  Does gardenia oil burn?

Thats a very insightful thought... I've seen people store ridiculously flammable substances in the most inappropriate places without a care in the world.

According to several MSDS that I looked up, the flash point for the oil itself is 180°F... and you need a carbon dioxide or dry foam extinguisher to put out the blaze...

Classification according to GHS Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008:

Acute Toxicity Oral, Category 5

i think molasses explosion levelled Boston at one time, so, you never know 

Well, it didn't level it, but it did smooth out a section of it for a while.  Drowned in mollases, sounds like the plot of a "Midsommer Murders" episode.  Setting aside the fatalities, the shame of the great Boston molasses event is that there wasn't a warehouse of peanuts caught in the mess.  World's biggest bar of peanut brittle.blush

• Chipageddon:  Speaking of graphcs card prices.  In the market for silicon? The problem pervades many industries. https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55936011

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

why do they all seem surprised when the butler did it?

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

LeatherGryphon said:

NylonGirl said:

The only thing I understood was "javascript".

Spherical Image -- An image that covers a complete sphere of visibility.  Up, down, and all around.  Everything within view.  Can be assembled from two hemispherical fisheye lens images.  Or when higher resolution is required, from multiple lesser wide angle images.  These images can be viewed from within the sphere by using computers.  But can also be "flattened" into one of several "maps".  "Equirectangular mapping" is like a Mercator projection of a map of the earth but produces extreme distortion at the top and bottom.  Another way is to project six portions of the sphere onto the square flat sides of a cube surrounding the sphere and then "unfold" the cube onto flat paper.  This method has less distortion but causes topological disconnects at the edges of some of the squares.  Mathematically, there are other ways to map the sphere for viewing on flat or curved surfaces but these are the most prominent.

HDR -- High Dynamic Range  -- ability to record an image with range of brightness beyond what is normally representable by ink on paper

HDRI -- HIgh Dynamic Range Image (or imaging) -- an image or process that uses HDR technology.

Tonemapped -- The information in a stored HDR image cannot be represented faithfully on paper or on a computer screen (ink is only so dark, paper is only so bright) without reducing the range of information.  A tonemapped HDR image squeezes the range of brightness (ex: 10 or 12 "zones" or "octaves") into the range representable on the display medium.  7 for paper or 9 for computer displays.  But simple linear mapping is often not satisfactory.  Not all images tonemap easily.  There is some artistry in desiging the compression curve for various levels of brightness to achieve a pleasing final image for a particular image.

PS-CS5 -- PhotoShop Creative Suite version 5 -- a professional level image processing application that is a member of the 5th version of Adobe's "Creative Suite" package of applications.

OpenEXR -- OpenEXR -- file with the EXR file extension is an OpenEXR Bitmap file. It's an open-source high-dynamic-range image file format created by the Industrial Light & Magic visual effects company.

Pano2VR -- Panorama to Virtual Reality -- A software application that assembles multiple images into panorama or 360 degree images and provides the ability to publish them on a website, and create virtual tours in the image by changing the viewpoint and linking to other such images.

XML -- eXtensible Markup Language -- Extensible Markup Language is a markup language that defines a set of rules for encoding documents in a format that is both human-readable and machine-readable. The World Wide Web Consortium's XML 1.0 Specification of 1998 and several other related specifications—all of them free open standards.  Many professional and high quality document processors can use XML format documents.

QTVR  -- QuickTime Virtual Reality -- A technology developed by Apple and used in their QuickTime image viewer application that permitted website viewing of panorama or spherical images stored in "*.mov" format.  QTVR is no longer supported by Quicktime and Quicktime itself is no longer supported on Windows PCs.

Flash -- A web browser extension that permitted viewing images, movies, panoramas and spherical images, among other things.  Flash is now being phased out and is no longer recommended.  Some of the features of both Flash and Quicktime are now supported in web design language HTML5.

HTML5 -- HyperText Markup Language version 5 -- A language for designing websites.

PTGui -- PTGui is image stitching software for stitching photographs into a seamless 360-degree spherical or gigapixel panoramic image.

PTUI - onomatopoeia for the sound of spitting.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited February 2021

Mystiarra said:

why do they all seem surprised when the butler did it?

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GenreBlindness

Post edited by fixmypcmike on

was watching 'disney's haunted mansion'.  eddie murphy was like, the butler did it??!!

shocker. reading the sugar and sodium in eggo homestyle waffles.  my feet puffered up

180Calories 1.5 g Sat Fat 350 mg Sodium 4 g Sugar

king arthur flour delivering today.  much healthier pancakes soon.
      flour, skim milk, egg, baking powder, half tsp salt. 1 packet raw sugar, few blueberries
    need a bit of dutch processed cocoa to make chocolatey pancakescheeky

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903
    edited February 2021

Apparently scammers have a well-developed sense of comic irony. 

D9A70B6B-66F6-4023-86CE-D67CF6BE39DE.png
    1125 x 2436 - 7M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,180
    edited February 2021

That's like the message I see pop up in YoutTube videos: Click her to start blocking ads.  I think, "You mean like this one?"   laugh  And then I just click the "X" to clear it.

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on

egg shortages  plainnt  got no eggs.  so little possibilities when no eggs.  cake flour, corn flour, all useless without eggs.   no one is coming to take me food shopping.  seems more bad weather is coming and the stores are out of stuff.  did they have eggs during the great depression?

edited February 2021

DanaTA said:

That's like the message I see pop up in YoutTube videos: Click her to start blocking ads.  I think, "You mean like this one?"   laugh  And then I just click the "X" to clear it.

Dana

...yeah YouTube seems to have the upper hand with their anti-AdBlock software as even with one of the best blockers, I still get adverts interrupting videos with no warning. If they put them at the beginning I could just mute the sound until they are finished and attendto something else mometarily, but instead they pop up at seemingly random times in the middle of videos as short as 3 minutes and multiple times in longer ones.

So many sites today are employing anti blocker software. .The frustrating part is none of the adverts are for products or /services I'd care to, or could afford to purchase.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited February 2021

What particularly T's me off is when I find a good classical music piece I want to hear, I get my drink & snack ready, I kick off my slippers, I snuggle under my granny blanket and recline in my easy chair, put on my headphones, start listening to the music and watching the orchestra and get just to the exciting part, and a commercial pops in.  Arghhhh... not in the middle of Beethoven!  No, no no. Sacrilege.  Barbarians.  Spawn of the devil.angry

Good music is an Art-in-Time.  You don't interrupt the flow with commercials. 

Similarly painting is an Art-in-Space. It would be like going to see the Mona Lisa and encountering a sticker for PEPSI plastered on her face for a few minutes.crying

...ick and poo, frozen water from the sky forecast here for next Friday and Saturday with lows in the 20s.  Four to five inches expected, which for here is a major snowfall.  Looks like it's time to stock up again.  I'll say this, after several rather dry and mild winters, the weather this year has been making it easy to comply with "stay at home" measures.  Just need one dry day now & then to replenish the larder. 

edited February 2021

Non-complaint:  Wheee..., my 2-port KVM switch has arrived enabling me to be able to easily share my new 27" 2K monitor between my two most used machines.  It also switches, speaker and microphone connections, and also switches a USB2 port (for printer, or thumbdrive, or whatever) to the active computer.smiley  It took a bit of cable wrangling and stretching but It's installed and works!  Yay!  It makes a significantly better workflow situation and gets rid of a keyboard and mouse in my workarea.  The 1-star reviews on the Amazon catalog sounded scary but I've had no trouble with it.  It worked first time (after I discovered one of my own stereo audio cables was flaky).indecision https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HR9DQGM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ; I am extremely pleased with the quality of the hardware itself.  The box is heavy gauge metal, the switches seem solid, the ports seem to be quality even the remote control switch is metal and has lights.  A lot of the reviews on Amazon mentioned the quality of the hardware being top notch, but bitched about the software.  Aut apparently some people have trouble trying to use keyboard shortcuts & key combinations.  The instruction brochure could also be translated better.  But if you read the instructions carefully and figure out what they are trying to say, it probably works the way it was designed.  I just haven't bothered with the keyboard controls, and simply use the remote control button provided.  Very happy with it.  So far.

Also arrived is a new 120mm case fan with blue LED ring around the blades.  It will replace a dull unlighted exhaust fan in a dark area at the back of the case and add joy to that part of the case interior.  It doesn't need an RGP or ARGP port, it just lights up blue all the time.  I haven't got it installed yet, but perhaps tomorrow.  I've been working too long.  Sitting and getting up and down, and bending and crawling under tables.  My body is done for the day.  Time to make supper, pour a shot of Amaretto, grab a handful of pistachios, and veg out on TV.indecision https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VRKVGP0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kyoto kid said:

DanaTA said:

Dana

...yeah YouTube seems to have the upper hand with their anti-AdBlock software as even with one of the best blockers, I still get adverts interrupting videos with no warning. If they put them at the beginning I could just mute the sound until they are finished and attendto something else mometarily, but instead they pop up at seemingly random times in the middle of videos as short as 3 minutes and multiple times in longer ones.

So many sites today are employing anti blocker software. .The frustrating part is none of the adverts are for products or /services I'd care to, or could afford to purchase.

It does?  What AdBlocker and browser are you using? :O  

Adblock Ultimate as well as a popup blocker. it works on other sites (i often get a message to turn it off so I just close the tab when that happens) just not YouTube. 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,180

LeatherGryphon said:

What particularly T's me off is when I find a good classical music piece I want to hear, I get my drink & snack ready, I kick off my slippers, I snuggle under my granny blanket and recline in my easy chair, put on my headphones, start listening to the music and watching the orchestra and get just to the exciting part, and a commercial pops in.  Arghhhh... not in the middle of Beethoven!  No, no no. Sacrilege.  Barbarians.  Spawn of the devil.angry

Similarly painting is an Art-in-Space. It would be like going to see the Mona Lisa and encountering a sticker for PEPSI plastered on her face for a few minutes.crying

When there's a video I'm sure I'm interested in, I download it with 4KVideoDownloader...no ads come through, just the video.  If I'm not sure, I'll open it i a new tab, and watch for a minute or two...if I decide that it's of interest, then I'll download it.

Dana

complaint  Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 9 inches. 

i didnt have a chance to replenish my food.  is just grits.  i like grits. but not meal after meal of grits.  who is hoarding the eggs? or are the hens just in a bad mood

humpty dumpty is an egg?

sky dropping frozen flakes. 

kyoto kid said:

Adblock Ultimate as well as a popup blocker. it works on other sites (i often get a message to turn it off so I just close the tab when that happens) just not YouTube. 

Firefox + uBlock Origin here;  YT hasn't given me any Ad problems so far.

• DanaTA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

When there's a video I'm sure I'm interested in, I download it with 4KVideoDownloader...no ads come through, just the video.  If I'm not sure, I'll open it i a new tab, and watch for a minute or two...if I decide that it's of interest, then I'll download it.

Dana

Good idea! yes  I actually already have that application but rarely think of using it.frown 

edited February 2021

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I'm still trying to best organize my work area and make most utility of keyboards & mice.  To that end I was getting frustrated with keyboard wires and mouse tails.  I was thinking about buying a new wireless keyboard & mouse combo but I suddenly had a memory flashback and dug deep into my long packed away boxes of computer parts and found a really nice wireless keyboard (Logitech K320/B550) still new, https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-002362-Wireless-Keyboard-K320/dp/B0036ECGS6  I'd bought it for a customer but he wimped out and I never sold it.  It's a Logitech K320/B550.   It doesn't light up but it has a wonderful key touch, travel & sound.  It's accurate and without bounces or too sensitive keys.  So I packed away that fancy RGB wired & lighted keyboard with overly sensitive keys that I'd bought a while ago.  Might find a use for it someday.  I also found a used wireless mouse.  So now my primary new display can display both of my new computers and use a really nice wireless keyboard & mouse.smiley  It's kind'a nice having boxes of computer parts laying around the house.  Somedays it's Christmas again.smiley  If only I could reliably remember what's in the boxes.frown

I think today my goal is to install that new blue lighted fan and a 2nd hard drive into my windowed computer.  I'd thought about ordering fancy white power cables for the power supply just for the esthetics of it, but decided to save that for another tune-up session.  Perhaps when I finally get a proper graphics card for that computer.

Complaint:  I'm up early today (5:30AM).  Couldn't sleep, neck hurts.  Really cold out last night (13F, -10.5C) but for once the furnace ran long enough to get my apartment warm too.  Too warm in fact.  I had to throw off blankets in the middle of the night and when I came down this morning I partially shut the floor register opening. (I have no control over the furnace.  The only thermostat is in the other apartment.)

edited February 2021

Non-complaint continued:  Yay!  New fan installed, ooh, pretty blue.  And yay, another terabyte of HD storage added.smiley

Complaint:  Power supply cabling and computer case design.  The electronics of modern power supplies is wonderful, but the mechanics of getting that power to the various devices in the computer case is medieval.  A degree in protein folding is necessary to get the too long or too short cables with wrongly spaced connectors, to twist sufficiently to fit the illogically placed devices that need the power and placed in locations impossible to route the wires to, only to discover that the connector either needs to bend or shouldn't bend and still might not fit when you try to put the side of the case back on.  frown  After a couple of scraped knuckles & blood, and vociferous swearing, the deed is done but I don't want to visit there again for a while  I ended up having to install a Molex cable despite not having any ancient devices that require a Molex power connector, yet I had to use a Molex cable and fit it with a Molex-to-SATA converter just so I could get power to my new hard drive despite there being five SATA power connectors available but unuseable on the three SATA power cables already in the system.  Absolutely medieval! angry  This whole process of getting power to the devices needs to be rethought.enlightened And for god's sake, case designers, please give us another quarter inch of space behind the motherboard partition for running cables.enlightened

edited February 2021

Spent time manually re-creating some of the morphs on Dregon when moving him into Cinema. Obviously some weighting issues to be fixed, and I don't know why DAZ Studio's exporter/Bridge insists on forcing all joints into the same alignment though, which is VERY very veeery not-good when it comes to things like creature legs and arms or wings. Re-aligning every joint by hand sigh.  I guess it's better than rigging it all from scratch though, but I wish it wouldn't do that.  The Bridge now supports R23 natively but it also borked the Morph export :/

Would have had to do this one by hand either way though, since I only wanted it to affect the chest, not his whole body.

On an unrelated note I picked up Redshift when I re-subbed to Cinema.  It's... Certainly different!  Going to need to spend a while learning it it seems.  Brings back memories to when I first used Indigo Render and how everything was so different to how I was used to things working~

dregon_breathe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Rezca on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

Complaint:  Haven't found anyone else with this problem, so maybe someone here does.  I've been wearing glasses (and for a few years contacts) for nearsightedness since I was 2 years old and never had a problem.  When I hit my 50s, like many other people, I got some farsightedness, so I got bifocals, but the near vision part didn't work -- it's supposed to focus at a distance of around 18 inches, but I couldn't read clearly beyond 6 inches.  They cut the lenses again, but had the same problem.  so I just had them make the lenses for my nearsightedness and slide my glasses down my nose for closeup work.

Last fall, when I was due for new glasses, I had 3 pairs with the same nearsightedness prescription, as that hadn't changed for several years, so I decided to try just reading glasses.  These gave me a maximum of 10 or 11 inches, still too close to be usable.  The optometrist had me hold a card at a comfortable reading distance and adjusted the prescription for that.  They recut the lenses for the new prescription and it was almost exactly the same, too close to be of any use.

Has anyone else heard of this issue?

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Probably not what the problem is but perhaps they could contribute somewhat...

Dry eyes can mess with your eyesight, especially if you tend to do things that require you staring at stuff like a computer screen or erotic photos for long periods of times... If you are really concentrating, you tend to blink less and your eyeballs get dry leading to a blurry vision... but usually this is an "on and off" kinda thing, you might notice it while driving or sorting erotic photos, but later it might go away when you are less focused and start blinking more. If you get a lot of weird gunk in your eyes that might be a sign of it. 

Or possibly, it could be that your glasses are not sitting on the bridge of your nose where they are supposed to... a lot of opticians don't fit glasses properly and it leads glasses sliding too far forward, and depending on the prescription, even a quarter of an inch could make a big difference.

Most likely neither of those are your problem but I figured I'd put that out there just in case... also... an even more unlikely possibility I could be that when you sleep you don't close your eyes fully enough and spiders are attracted to the moisture of your eyeballs and come there to drink and cavort, leaving behind web droppings which adhere to your eyes... usually a few hours after you wake up they fall off (the schmutz, not the eyeballs) and your eyesight seems better... a good way to prevent this is to tape shot glasses open end down to your eyes... this allows your eyes some room to pop in and out while you sleep while preventing spiders from cavorting on them... unless of course you trap a spider in there, in which case it'll probably lay eggs in your eye to get even with you.

I hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.