The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited February 2021

Fixmypcmike said:

Complaint:  Haven't found anyone else with this problem, so maybe someone here does.  I've been wearing glasses (and for a few years contacts) for nearsightedness since I was 2 years old and never had a problem.  When I hit my 50s, like many other people, I got some farsightedness, so I got bifocals, but the near vision part didn't work -- it's supposed to focus at a distance of around 18 inches, but I couldn't read clearly beyond 6 inches.  They cut the lenses again, but had the same problem.  so I just had them make the lenses for my nearsightedness and slide my glasses down my nose for closeup work.

Last fall, when I was due for new glasses, I had 3 pairs with the same nearsightedness prescription, as that hadn't changed for several years, so I decided to try just reading glasses.  These gave me a maximum of 10 or 11 inches, still too close to be usable.  The optometrist had me hold a card at a comfortable reading distance and adjusted the prescription for that.  They recut the lenses for the new prescription and it was almost exactly the same, too close to be of any use.

Has anyone else heard of this issue?

After having cataract surgery to replace my clouded natural lenses in my eye with plastic ones.  The power of the lens in each eye is different to accomodate the different shape of each eyeball, but designed to give me middle ground focus.  For distances like watching TV, wandering around the house and the grocery store I do fine without glasses.  I had a prescription pair of glasses made (progressive focal length) ground for far viewing (driving) at the top, and near viewing (reading) at the bottom.  The far vision aspect was just fine, but I found that reading through the bottom of the glasses was unsatisfactory, not because of focus issues, but because of having to consistently look down my nose toward the book.  Terribly uncomfortable position.  So, I bought some cheap ($10) full frame reading glasses from the drugstore.  I tried several different strenghts available, I can't remember the magnification power I actually settled on but it took three tries to find a pair that focused at just the right distance for working on the computer and reading.  They're not quite big enough for my head and my left eye focuses slightly differently than my right eye so reading is still a problem but I do OK on the computer screen, but reading books is still an issue for some reason.  Also, a recent trip to the eye doctor has revealed that I have some slight scaring on the back surface of the clear tissue that holds the plastic lens in my eye.  That scaring is apparently common after a couple years of having cataract surgery but is "easily resolved" with a zap from a laser.  I've got an appointment in April to have it done.

Regarding your particular problem, without glasses do both your eyes focus the same?  If not then finding cheap drugstore reading glasses can be an issue because the they assume that your eyes are a matched pair, not individually wonky. 

Returning to my situation.  As I implied above, my eyes are somewhat individually wonky but my brain takes care of resolving the issue for most situations (driving, shopping, computerwork), by ignoring the out of focus eye.  But it doesn't work well for reading a book.  I've decided I'm going to get the laser zap to clear up the scaring then have a full frame pair of prescription reading glasses made, no bifocals, just glasses for close reading.  Also, at my computer desk I have a large illuminated magnifying glass on an articulated arm that I use for closely inspecting circuit boards and reading tiny print on prescription bottles.  Aging does not play well with eyes.sad  I just do what I have to to get by.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited February 2021

Uploading  oops tried to post a pic of snow from my window.  another thread said iphone photo should work

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited February 2021

Uploading 

shame it wont load.  a real winter wonderland outside my window.  blizzardy snow cone world

Post edited by Mistara on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    edited February 2021

Fixmypcmike said:

Complaint:  Haven't found anyone else with this problem, so maybe someone here does.  I've been wearing glasses (and for a few years contacts) for nearsightedness since I was 2 years old and never had a problem.  When I hit my 50s, like many other people, I got some farsightedness, so I got bifocals, but the near vision part didn't work -- it's supposed to focus at a distance of around 18 inches, but I couldn't read clearly beyond 6 inches.  They cut the lenses again, but had the same problem.  so I just had them make the lenses for my nearsightedness and slide my glasses down my nose for closeup work.

Last fall, when I was due for new glasses, I had 3 pairs with the same nearsightedness prescription, as that hadn't changed for several years, so I decided to try just reading glasses.  These gave me a maximum of 10 or 11 inches, still too close to be usable.  The optometrist had me hold a card at a comfortable reading distance and adjusted the prescription for that.  They recut the lenses for the new prescription and it was almost exactly the same, too close to be of any use.

I haven't heard of that exact issue  ,but had similar started wearing glasses at 6 ,for severe nearsightness ,then in my teens wore contacts, in my mid  40's started having issue with my close up vision so I started using readers with the contacts.Then in my early 50's had issues with the contacts so I went back to glasses.The optomitrist gave me bifocals ,but they weren't bifocally enough so I  wore readers with the glasses ,or I took them off and got my nose right down into my work ......but no matter how I explained it still couldn't get it right ,still taking them off for up close work but now it's just not as close ....

Post edited by carrie58 on

my eyes tearing from doing my tax return, ez tax return, they used orange font for titles.  it said it would efile as soon as irs was accepting files.  no mention of when that is.  refund is a nixe few months of rent in savings.  trick is to keep it there.  how badly does anyone need a stove with a working oven really.

new york state refund is a pittance.  and i pay extra every week.  i have them send an extra 10 bux a week.  i owed the state 1 year, i haate owing taxes.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

LeatherGryphon said:

Fixmypcmike said:

After having cataract surgery to replace my clouded natural lenses in my eye with plastic ones.  The power of the lens in each eye is different to accomodate the different shape of each eyeball, but designed to give me middle ground focus.  For distances like watching TV, wandering around the house and the grocery store I do fine without glasses.  I had a prescription pair of glasses made (progressive focal length) ground for far viewing (driving) at the top, and near viewing (reading) at the bottom.  The far vision aspect was just fine, but I found that reading through the bottom of the glasses was unsatisfactory, not because of focus issues, but because of having to consistently look down my nose toward the book.  Terribly uncomfortable position.  So, I bought some cheap ($10) full frame reading glasses from the drugstore.  I tried several different strenghts available, I can't remember the magnification power I actually settled on but it took three tries to find a pair that focused at just the right distance for working on the computer and reading.  They're not quite big enough for my head and my left eye focuses slightly differently than my right eye so reading is still a problem but I do OK on the computer screen, but reading books is still an issue for some reason.  Also, a recent trip to the eye doctor has revealed that I have some slight scaring on the back surface of the clear tissue that holds the plastic lens in my eye.  That scaring is apparently common after a couple years of having cataract surgery but is "easily resolved" with a zap from a laser.  I've got an appointment in April to have it done.

Regarding your particular problem, without glasses do both your eyes focus the same?  If not then finding cheap drugstore reading glasses can be an issue because the they assume that your eyes are a matched pair, not individually wonky. 

Returning to my situation.  As I implied above, my eyes are somewhat individually wonky but my brain takes care of resolving the issue for most situations (driving, shopping, computerwork), by ignoring the out of focus eye.  But it doesn't work well for reading a book.  I've decided I'm going to get the laser zap to clear up the scaring then have a full frame pair of prescription reading glasses made, no bifocals, just glasses for close reading.  Also, at my computer desk I have a large illuminated magnifying glass on an articulated arm that I use for closely inspecting circuit boards and reading tiny print on prescription bottles.  Aging does not play well with eyes.sad  I just do what I have to to get by.indecision

...yeah that's what I use as well.  I am able to sit about 18" from the screen and easily read the normal text size for (like used here on the forums and other sites as well as the Daz, Carrara, and Blender UIs).  I have a separate magnifier as well for working on computers and reading the tiny print on packages & such as well.. 

edited February 2021

...ah Superbowl complaint. CBS is supposed to offer free access to watch with no need for a paid streaming service, subscription, or account, but when I went to their site and clicked on the game, all I get is a black screen with one of those "windmill" swirlies in the middle that just keeps going on and on.  They also have a free app for Android, but going to watch the game on a tiny phone screen and exhaust my data allowance for the month.

Not going to bother with the "free" trials either because they suddenly turn into "not so free" and you get smacked with a bill.

ETA:

...well didn't miss much as like Green Bay two weeks ago, Kansas City didn't come to play today and Brady gets yet another ring...ho hum. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

...agh!  The forecast for later this week just got worse.  Now calling for several days below freezing beginning Wednesday night with possibly a total of 20" of the evil white stuff on the ground by Sunday morning when all is said & done. 

Major stock up trip is definitely in order tomorrow as the city does little to clear roads & sidewalks and we likely will get at least a day of freezing rain followed by rain that will turn all the snow to slush.

I want to hibernate until spring. 

+1 hibernate

theres a uk version of whose line

lol

edited February 2021

kyoto kid said:

...agh!  The forecast for later this week just got worse.  Now calling for several days below freezing beginning Wednesday night with possibly a total of 20" of the evil white stuff on the ground by Sunday morning when all is said & done. 

Major stock up trip is definitely in order tomorrow as the city does little to clear roads & sidewalks and we likely will get at least a day of freezing rain followed by rain that will turn all the snow to slush.

I want to hibernate until spring. 

You'd have to bear it. (*groan*) blush

edited February 2021

Complaint:  Ingrown toenails.crying  Never had a problem until I got old.  Now the big toenails grow wider and dig into the sides of my toes.  I can't contort myself to cut them properly myself without throwing my back out. (*major pain for days*).  But I've tried, and in the process I've made a pigs breakfast of it and now it's starting to look like they're getting infected.  So, I've made an emergency appointment with my podiatrist.  (I've seen him a couple times previously and he warned me this would happen.frown)  He was kind enough to fit me into his schedule today to examine the situation.  I suspect that it's time to consider surgical correction, but at the minimum, I'll get them trimmed properly and they'll last for another few months.  Sigh, being old ain't all fun and games just because you don't have to go to work.frown

Edited to add:  Other than getting ingrown lately, my toes are beautiful, well formed and completely functional.​  Like my fingers and fingernails.blush  Beautiful perfect toes except for the various accidents that life throws at them.  I pity women who wear pointy high healed shoes and deliberately do catastrophic things to their feet & toes.  I know men started the trend a couple hundred years ago but once they discovered the downside I believe they turned it into a conspiracy to make it popular then foist that fashion sense onto women to sadistically punish them for imagined grievances.   It's time to stop that nonsense in the name of fashion.enlighteneddevil

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited February 2021

Long Island snow... in lieu of Misty not being able to post one...

Misty, try Firefox as your browser... it definitely works... Safari sucks for these forums.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

Mystiarra said:

lol

No, there's an American version.

McGyver said:

Long Island snow... in lieu of Misty not being able to post one...

Misty, try Firefox as your browser... it definitely works... Safari sucks for these forums.

yep, that is what my window looks likesmiley  tho mine has some buppy prints in it. 

Gordig said:

Mystiarra said:

lol

No, there's an American version.

"cant simply expect the bread to cook?"

'i'm surprised you eat bread mr spock"   

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,738

kyoto kid said:

...ah Superbowl complaint. CBS is supposed to offer free access to watch with no need for a paid streaming service, subscription, or account, but when I went to their site and clicked on the game, all I get is a black screen with one of those "windmill" swirlies in the middle that just keeps going on and on.  They also have a free app for Android, but going to watch the game on a tiny phone screen and exhaust my data allowance for the month.

Not going to bother with the "free" trials either because they suddenly turn into "not so free" and you get smacked with a bill.

ETA:

...well didn't miss much as like Green Bay two weeks ago, Kansas City didn't come to play today and Brady gets yet another ring...ho hum. 

The way they get me is with family plans. Even if I don't watch enough of the shows to justify the subscription, I tend to keep the services because there are three or four other people in my circle who may theoretically use them. And a couple of those people do the same for me. Sometimes it gets hard to keep track of who's paying for what.

And right now in Kansas City, football and weather have both not gone as we had hoped.

trying to think of how to tell my cousin i don't want them t o take me food shopping anymore, without them thinking i've gone bonkers.  i just feel like they dont want to do it anymore.  they been coming every week since my eye surgery.  i feel like i'm a buden now.

do those ultrasonic pest repelleants really work?

it says Ultrasonic Pest Repeller, Pest Control Set of Electronic Plug in Repellent Indoor for Flea, Mosquitoes, Mice, Spiders, Ants, Roaches, Non-Toxic, Humans & Pets Safe

edited February 2021

Mystiarra said:

do those ultrasonic pest repelleants really work?

it says Ultrasonic Pest Repeller, Pest Control Set of Electronic Plug in Repellent Indoor for Flea, Mosquitoes, Mice, Spiders, Ants, Roaches, Non-Toxic, Humans & Pets Safe

No.  

There are old fashioned remedies that do a good job.  However, if you have pets, some of them can be harmful.

Borax powder, sharp little crystals, sprinkled along baseboards gets into the leg joints of ants & cockroaches and discourages and even eventually dries them out and kills them. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/borax-insect-repellent-82806.html

Baking soda: Similarly for baking soda. https://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/article/Baking-soda-s-other-use-controls-ants-roaches-3209302.php#:~:text=When it is eaten by,combination will kill most ants.

But depending on the severity of your infestation, you may need a bigger club.

Examples of bigger clubs: 

Household bug spray -- poisons, not good for man nor beast.

Professional pest service -- expensive, involves poisons on a commercial scale, but usually roots out the buggers (for a while).

Tent fumigation -- uses poison gas, little or no residue.  Expensive, invasive, kills anything left inside the tent, including fish, buppies, or neighbors.

Fire -- gets rid of the bugs as well as the house (and neighbors).

In a small enough situation (i.e. house,rather than an apartment building) you can deal with ants by placing those Ant Bait things in several places around your house and yard (sheltered from the rain) so when the foraging ants find it, they take some of it back to the nest, feed it to the queen.  Poof, regicide.  After a few weeks all the ants in the vicinity either die or move out.  Works for me.  I do it in the Spring and my ant problem is solved for the rest of the year.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ant+bait&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS871US871&oq=ant+bait&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i67j0j0i67j0j0i67l2j0.2334j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

i wnat to keep the spiders out.  they seem to think my digs is cozy.

the upstairs people are having a flea problem, i hear her vaccuuming every night.  want to keep the buggers from coming down here.  with my vision problem i'd never see them.  they can leave bites like bed bugs.  is really the last thing i need.  eeek eek

eeeeek

thought about going for a walk today for all of half a minute

Feels Like23°  

waitin on some doordash.

too eaerly to order tandori, but i think is just what i need to warm up.  the samosa with the tater and peas.smileyoh yeah.  

• Mystiarra said:

the upstairs people are having a flea problem, i hear her vaccuuming every night.  want to keep the buggers from coming down here.  with my vision problem i'd never see them.  they can leave bites like bed bugs.  is really the last thing i need.  eeek eek

eeeeek

Spiders are generally solitary creatures and respond properly to vacuum cleaners.  Especially vacuum cleaners with little tornados in them that take no pity on fragile spiders.enlightened

LeatherGryphon said:

Mystiarra said:

eeeeek

Spiders are generally solitary creatures and respond properly to vacuum cleaners.  Especially vacuum cleaners with little tornados in them that take no pity on fragile spiders.enlightened

they very sneaky when leavig their eggs. 

my first doordash experience is a total bust.  deli messed up my breakfast order.

not only did they forget the hash browns, they stuck bacon on my egg sammich.  what am i gonna do, not eat the delicious bacon?  my already blimped out feet are gonna get blimpier.

look for the bear necessities, the simple bear necessities

edited February 2021

How to get me to not visit your website ever again:

Three seconds after the page I requested opens, paste a huge advertisement about something that's on sale in the center of my screen that blocks the entire view, then after I close that out, wait ten seconds and do it again, then repeat that the moment I leave that page to check out the product I came there to look at... Added bonus clown points for making sure the items you are trying to sell me have absolutely nothing to do with the item I'm trying to look at.

Marketing guy to the website designers: "What we are looking for is a miserable experience for the customer, one where they regret ever visiting our store, but are so mad at us they just randomly buy whatever stuff our pop-up ads suggest... you know... just to get even with us..."

Website designer: "Uh... are you feeling okay?... I don't think that's how that works..."

Marketing guy: "Nonsense! Customers want to feel hated... the more you piss them off, the more they buy!"

Website designer: "Uh... okay... right... are you sure you are okay?..."

Marketing guy: "Absolutely! Never been better!"...(Starts making airplane noises with arms spread out while prancing out of room)

Post edited by McGyver on

my job called and i got all like, happy to talk to someone.  bird wattmeter failed calibration yayy,
    now i have to get quotes for a new one.  the watt elements only go up to 10,000kw.  which kinda sucks cuz need a 12,000kw lug.  i got 2 spreadsheets to update, an old access 2007 database to upgrade to 64 bits.

every tax year, i think aabout getting a 3d printer, i really shouldnt.  especially now, windows are closed, no ventilation  or i could get the thermal printer to work on some barcode projects.

i need some led lights for the toilet paper stand, is hard to see in the fog.

Not sure if you were serious about the toilet paper thing, but...

https://www.fivebelow.com/products/led-motion-sensored-toilet-night-light

You are probably handy enough to figure out a way of mounting it where you need it... Maybe Command Strips or double stick foam tape...

It's basically a motion sensing light that hangs inside the toilet, but that's gross...  my kids bought one for their bathroom and the hung it next to the toilet paper nook thingie.

This discussion has been closed.