The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Mystiarra said:

complaint  william shatner rip hoax,  friend sent me a text will shatner passed away.  felt really awaful for a few minutes.

William Shatner is still alive?

I thought he died fighting Malcolm Soran in the Nexus, back in 1994 when he was crushed to death by a huge of potatoes and sticks (or rocks and steel) after Soran's poorly constructed doomsday machine he purchased from Costco fell apart, dumping potatoes and sticks onto Shatner. 
    I distinctly remember his last words to Jean-Luc Stewart..."It was fun... pl... please... d... del... delete my browser history... AAAAAAAAAAGHK!!"

Its the most often quoted Star Trek line in the history of often quoted Star Trek lines... right after "Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahn!"

I know there were those Priceline commercials where he played the "Negotiator", but I was pretty sure that was just Chris Pinetree playing William Shatner and aged severely by J.J. Abrams using whatever alternative reality mechanism he uses to suspend disbelief and gaping plot holes in all his movies and writings. 
    If you look at those new ads he is in where he is selling Sleep Disorders for $50 (I really didn’t pay attention to the commercial), you can clearly see the scar he (Chris Pinetree) got from when Priceline dropped him off the bridge in a school bus full of potatoes. 
    That’s why I was pretty sure he is the alternate universe William Shatner created by J.J. Abrams in his failed attempt to create an army of William Shatner clones to take over Hollywood.

If none of that makes sense, it could be because Abrams was successful in creating a more powerful Suspension Of Disbelief Machine and the situation is graver than I initially thought...

But if the real William Shatner is still alive, then I’m sure he’s on top of this and has already cloned himself an army of TJ Strumpet "Time Cops" to combat Abrams attempts to change or "reimagine" history.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

my dayjob boss is being too nice to me.  is scaring me.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,738

Mystiarra said:

is it possible to grow greenbeans in a big flowaer pot?  was checking out kentucky pole beans
    i grew julie tomatoes in a big flower pot last year.   would like to grow greenbeans and strawberrie

My mother grew green beans in a big flower pot. She plants all kinds of stuff and then we have no idea what was planted where until something grows and then, "oh it's green beans". 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,180

William Shatner is still working.  He has a show on History channel, The Unknown.  And just this week, he was a guest on Ancient Aliens, a two hour special.  It's good to see him still around.

Dana

NylonGirl said:

Mystiarra said:

is it possible to grow greenbeans in a big flowaer pot?  was checking out kentucky pole beans
    i grew julie tomatoes in a big flower pot last year.   would like to grow greenbeans and strawberrie

My mother grew green beans in a big flower pot. She plants all kinds of stuff and then we have no idea what was planted where until something grows and then, "oh it's green beans". 

Thanks.  i feel motivated now to give it a go 

DanaTA said:

William Shatner is still working.  He has a show on History channel, The Unknown.  And just this week, he was a guest on Ancient Aliens, a two hour special.  It's good to see him still around.

Dana

Which "William Shatner"?... the clones are quite deceptive. Also... "Working"... as in "employed" or "working" as in "still functional despite being dropped off a bridge in a bus full of potatoes"?... 

Also I'm more convinced of the cloning now that it appears he is in two places at once.

Gaaagh... the forum is snorgling up my posts again... I think whatever is supposed to happen when the software saves a draft, has mutated into a draft deleter... I've already lost a reply post to Mystiarra, LG and NylonGirl... Granted, I left the post alone for at least ten minutes unattended, but normally that doesn't matter, it generally saves the post.

When I come back to the post, it looks like it's all code...

Never leave a post unattended... I guess is the takeaway... I'm going back to writing stuff in Notes like I used to when the forums would mutate.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

Mystiarra said:

mebbe a specialty dalek for grating potatoes

edited February 2021

...every time I see the title of the Gallery sticky thread, my tired aging eyes read it as New Daz 3D Gallery Lunches and then I go into the kitchen to look for something to eat.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Complaint:  Arghhh... I'm still migrating applications from my old computer to my new primary computer and I've run into an app that I paid $$ for the license but didn't keep a formal paper record of the key or an entry in my encrypted list of keys.  I do know that I received the key via email but that was back when I was using Thunderbird.  When I converted to Microsoft Outlook I tried to find my old Thunderbird archives.  I found them but I'd encrypted them and forgotten that password.  (It was the password that I'd used for a decade and was sure I'd never forget, but forgot 6 months after I'd changed it.)frown  So, now I need to either hunt through reams of 3x5" notes of old passwords to possibly find a hint to what my old super-secret password was, or possibly to find a scribbled note to the app key, or fork out more $$ for another license key.crying  I know which path would be easiest and most reliable. indecision

Weather complaint:  Bad snow expected here on Thursday. Another 12" possibly.

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

I just came here to waste some time while waiting for a render and now it's been done for an hour and I'm still here.

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Arghhh... I'm still migrating applications from my old computer to my new primary computer and I've run into an app that I paid $$ for the license but didn't keep a formal paper record of the key or an entry in my encrypted list of keys.  I do know that I received the key via email but that was back when I was using Thunderbird.  When I converted to Microsoft Outlook I tried to find my old Thunderbird archives.  I found them but I'd encrypted them and forgotten that password.  (It was the password that I'd used for a decade and was sure I'd never forget, but forgot 6 months after I'd changed it.)frown  So, now I need to either hunt through reams of 3x5" notes of old passwords to possibly find a hint to what my old super-secret password was, or possibly to find a scribbled note to the app key, or fork out more $$ for another license key.crying  I know which path would be easiest and most reliable. indecision

Was it downloaded software?  If so, maybe you can contact the place that sold it and tell them what happened.  If they keep good records, your transaction should be found and they could send you the key.  Well, if you have the same email address that you had when you made the purchase.

Dana

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

i'm still here.  I replaced the case fan.  A fan in the computer is still loud.  I guess the thermostat in the power supply fan is stuck on high.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,456
    edited February 2021

DanaTA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Arghhh... I'm still migrating applications from my old computer to my new primary computer and I've run into an app that I paid $$ for the license but didn't keep a formal paper record of the key or an entry in my encrypted list of keys.  I do know that I received the key via email but that was back when I was using Thunderbird.  When I converted to Microsoft Outlook I tried to find my old Thunderbird archives.  I found them but I'd encrypted them and forgotten that password.  (It was the password that I'd used for a decade and was sure I'd never forget, but forgot 6 months after I'd changed it.)frown  So, now I need to either hunt through reams of 3x5" notes of old passwords to possibly find a hint to what my old super-secret password was, or possibly to find a scribbled note to the app key, or fork out more $$ for another license key.crying  I know which path would be easiest and most reliable. indecision

Was it downloaded software?  If so, maybe you can contact the place that sold it and tell them what happened.  If they keep good records, your transaction should be found and they could send you the key.  Well, if you have the same email address that you had when you made the purchase.

Dana

Problem resolved.yes  Old brain, evaporating memories, and hallucinogenic visions.sad  I checked with the company and never did pay $$ for that product.  It runs free without a license.surprise  It has limitations when free and pops up a warning when you first use it, but I never exceeded the limits. AOKcool   

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    edited February 2021

Sometimes I wonder why I haven't received anything from Battle Creek, Michigan lately.

I distinctly remember sending a boxtop with a quarter taped to it to Battle Creek with my name and address in an envelope back in 1960. That model rocketship should definitely be here by now.

Post edited by TJohn on

TJohn said:

Sometimes I wonder why I haven't received anything from Battle Creek, Michigan lately.

I distinctly remember sending a boxtop with a quarter taped to it to Battle Creek with my name and address in an envelope back in 1960. That model rocketship should definitely be here by now.

Did you forget to put a stamp on the envelope?  laugh

Dana

compmaint  gahh mose mleed. yuck

seriously thinkin bout adding moser on my marrara dedicated machina

moewere deep in ma mloset mot the mro version of moser 7, menders 64 bit

edited February 2021

Major non-complaint:  Wheee, happy, happy, joy, joy!smiley  Yesterday while riffling through an inch thick pile of old 4x5" scraps of paper with miscellaneous notes, web addresses, account names and passwords (I keep all old scraps of paper, though not always organized) I found one of my personal passwords that looked familiar but realized hadn't been used in my recent attempts to unlock an encrypted archive for which I'd almost given up on remembering the password.  It's been at least 5 months I've been trying to get into that archive.indecision  But today, I wormed my way through my new storage layout and got to that archive and tried that unearthed password, and IT WORKED... Wheee..., happy, happy, joy, joy!smileysmiley  Now to try to remember what it was in that archive that I'd originally been trying to recover.frown

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,738

Mystiarra said:

I got version 12 and might use it to render a Biguana. 

NylonGirl said:

Mystiarra said:

I got version 12 and might use it to render a Biguana. 

i saw Biggie and Xerr hanging out like pals

ready roms are a real thin.  not just a star trek thing.  they had em in wwii for the squadrons waiting for orders.

keep checking for my tax refund smiley woot

working on my shopping list.

wnna get 3d coat.  a nicce easy uv utility.
    meebe upgrade my coreldraw, still using version 5  >.<

c4d still way out of budget range.

get some of the Thorne in my w/l.  and greebles.

givig up on the 3d printer. hdri camera, threadripper

edited February 2021

LeatherGryphon said:

Major non-complaint:  Wheee, happy, happy, joy, joy!smiley  Yesterday while riffling through an inch thick pile of old 4x5" scraps of paper with miscellaneous notes, web addresses, account names and passwords (I keep all old scraps of paper, though not always organized) I found one of my personal passwords that looked familiar but realized hadn't been used in my recent attempts to unlock an encrypted archive for which I'd almost given up on remembering the password.  It's been at least 5 months I've been trying to get into that archive.indecision  But today, I wormed my way through my new storage layout and got to that archive and tried that unearthed password, and IT WORKED... Wheee..., happy, happy, joy, joy!smileysmiley  Now to try to remember what it was in that archive that I'd originally been trying to recover.frown

...yeah, I've had those moments.  

Usually after searching for and finding a kitchen gadget I thought I lost in all my moving around and then forgetting what I needed it for.

Hate getting old.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited February 2021

Tea Conundrum:  Perhaps not complaint worthy, but I need an expert tea drinker. I'm sitting on the fence about which brand of oolong tea to order.  I've grown to like drinking tea as much as coffee and have a stock of several jars with black tea, decaffinated black tea, green tea, decaffinated green tea, Earl Gray tea, English Breakfast tea, and sometimes various fruit flavor teas, but I've never had oolong tea at home.  I always get oolong at a Chinese restaurant and really like its light color and flavor but had never thought of buying it for home.  It has come around time to buy more tea so I opened the Amazon website and found several brands of oolong tea, some obvious cheap stuff for like a nickel a bag, some good stuff for a quarter a bag and a middle ground for a dime a bag (hmmm... I used to say things like that when buying pot 50 years agosurprise)  I just want to try a small box of it before commiting myself to one brand for a year.  But the cheap stuff comes in big quantities (200 bags minimum) the expensive stuff is a minimum of 60 bag quantities (three 20-bag boxes), and the middle ground stuff comes in 150 bag minimum quantities.  Is there really a noticeable difference between cheap and expensive oolong teas?  My general philosophy about buying things is to go for the Mamma Bear.  But the "Mama Bear" in this case is out of stock for a while, so I'm stuck in a choice between  "Baby Bear" and "Papa Bear".  Normally I'd get my tea from the grocery store, just one box of 20 bags to sample it for a couple weeks before I decide to buy a bigger quantity.   And, yeah, I know I could buy it as loose tea but despite actually having and knowing how to use a tea ball, I don't like doing it that way.  Bags are just fine with me.  Like my coffee, I make my tea one cup at a time.

Any recommendations for a decent brand of oolong tea bags?

Thirty years ago I could have made a suggestion (Oolong is one of my favorites), but who knows if you could even find that brand anywhere else... now my dumb memory can only tell me it was in a turquoise, black and gold box which looked like a treasure chest, with very little English on it... I used to get the brand at NYC's Chinatown area.  I probably could recognize the logo on the box if I saw it again...

I recently found a store called H Mart, which carries mostly Korean, Chinese and Japanese grocery brands, along with a few old brands I haven't come across in years... (including Vitasoy coconut drink)... The next time I go there I'll check the tea section to see if I find the brand and let you know.

But then again I'm not an expert, the brand I'm thinking of had a good strong flavor and was packed in foil, which tended to keep the oils in particular blends, fresh longer.

Technically, buying it in a bulk format, (not in individual teabags) is supposed to be more authentic and better, but I've mostly have been too lazy to load a diffuser ball or strainer.

**Mid post update**

I went to H Mart's website to see if I could find out if they ship stuff to other areas and which brands of Oolong tea they might have and their store search sucks... I hate when you type in something like "Oolo..." and you see results for "Oolong... Oolong tea... Oolong tea loose leaf... Oolong tea bags... Oolong whatever, Blah blah, blah, tenotherthingsetcetcetc... (clearly the search is identifying "Oolong tea")

Yet, when you hit "search" it gives you like three things that are actually Oolong tea... so you maybe think "okay they only have three Oolong products"...

But if you actually search using the other terms like "loose leaf", "can" or "bag" you get the same sort of "mostly not what I asked for" results, and the actual "Oolong" items you see are not for "can", "bag" or "loose" or whatever variant you chose, they are other random oolong products that don't belong in that request... it indicates they have way more "Oolong" tea products than they are showing, but you have to keep plunking away to find stuff you want.

Why is this still a thing anywhere?... Why do we have to filter through crap we don't want practically everywhere? If I ask a website for Energizer D batteries and see it pop up as a choice in the search tab, why then do I have to search through dozens of other brands and sizes as well as car batteries, rechargeable tool batteries and any effing thing imaginable that's not what the eff I asked for, until I finally find that item five effing pages in, next to Disposable Training Pads for Pachyderms... ??   Why in the year 2021, do I have to use Google which is not much better, use special tricks or do anything other than type in correctly spelled, what the flippity fudge I want?

I'm not asking for transparent aluminum, or "computer... tea, Earl Grey... hot", I just want to tell a gaddam search engine to give me the item I'm specifically asking for that I've correctly spelled and provided it with sufficient information to detect and relay it existence to me.

This is kinda why I hate shopping for anything online.

In summary... I dunno... If you are still interested at some later date when I next go to the actual store where my eyeball based search engine can give more refined results , I can let you know if do find the brand.

how is corky the mouse doing?  do mice reall love cheese?  curious what they think of cheeze whiz

edited February 2021

after 10 no one here has mentioned bday cake.  i hope the diabetic thing isnt holding them back.

gonna hafta doordash myself a bday cake.  or ... surprise ... could order a slice of tiramisu from sputinos.  one slice not as bad as a whole cake.

buy then again.  mango lassa

Post edited by Mistara on

Mystiarra said:

how is corky the mouse doing?  do mice reall love cheese?  curious what they think of cheeze whiz

Corky is fine, apparently she is a mouse superhero... The Amazing Spider-Mouse... 

That last one is her doing whatever a Spider-Mouse does... mainly hanging upside down from the wire lid on the fish tank she lives in... she doesn't even do that because the tank is filled with water... which it isn't... she just hangs upside down... maybe she is more of a Batmouse... but she doesn't have a Batmousemobile or cool gadgets, so I'm going with Spider-Mouse.

As far as cheese... I've experimented with lots of foods and apparently Spider-Mice are very picky (she is actually a species of outdoor mouse called "Deer Mice" which is misleading as one can see from the lack of antlers)...

Apparently the only cheese so far she has eaten was sharp cheddar (maybe she's from Wisconsin?), she's turned her furry little nose up at Parmesan, mozzarella, Asiago and cheap pseudo-cheeses like Kraft (so I'm guessing Cheez Whiz is a no-go)... her favorite foods appear to be peanut butter (mouse kryptonite/crack), peanuts, toasted chick peas, and almonds... no berries, carrots, dried squid, seaweed, lettuce, spinach, various other nuts or assorted cereals... in fact she was captured using peanut butter and Goldfish crackers, but now she rejects Goldfish crackers (too traumatic?).

Mostly she hides in her (generic knock-off) Pop Tart box lair, I assume sleeping or plotting her escape and or revenge, until about 9PM when she emerges to hang upside down looking cute or pathetic in an attempt to win early release.

According to her sentencing deal, she will only be released in exile once the weather is suitable for her not to freeze to death.

edited February 2021

@McGyver: Thanks for the tea advice and story.  I think I'm just going to order the Bigelow's oolong at Amazon.  (Three boxes of 20 bags)  I'm hoping that it comes in air-tight individual bag packages.   But since each box of 20 probably comes wrapped in plastic it should keep OK.  If it's as good as the tea I like at the Chinese restaurant then OK and maybe by next time I'll have a chance to get to a real store and find a small quantity of something else to try.  And although I'm no tea expert, I just don't want to get saddled with a large quantity of something I don't like.  But if you looked at my kitchen window sill where I keep my array of bottles of various tea bags, you'd notice that I label the bottles, "Black Tea", "Green Tea", "Decaf Tea", and "Good Tea".  Which exposes my opinion of the first three types.indecision  I'd like to start putting oolong in the "Good Tea" bottle.

Bigelow still comes in the foil packets as well as Twining... I actually have a few packets of Twining oolong tea, but of the regular brands Bigelow was my favorite... the stores around here don't ever seem to carry Biglow oolong or are always out of it, so I usually settle for Twining.

I only recently started drinking teas again, for a while it was suspected that tea may be the cause of my kidney stones, but more likely it was carbonated beverages (the phosphoric acid in particular), so I now enjoy teas on occasion again... I used to have huge collections of teas (kinda still do).

When I found H Mart, I was confronted by tons of teas that I'd never seen or hadn't in years (but I wasn't specifically looking for that oolong)... unfortunately due to my agreement to "The Cabinet Accords of 2018: Teas and Powdered Potions" I'm not allowed to collect more unless I build another cabinet to house them in... apparently the preference for said cabinet being located in the yard.

My wife has her Indian teas (non-bagged) which mostly come in canisters that my teas must "share" space with... Sharing is overrated... well... the exception being is my wife makes real Masala or Madras chai... (chai by the way means "tea"... very redundant when one sees "chai-tea"... basically "tea-tea") and as long as I share or make room for her teas, she'll make some for me. It's great after a snack of homemade pakoras or samosas...

Dang... Now I want some... 

This discussion has been closed.