The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

...fire cleanses everything, just be careful about the drapes, curtains, furniture, and pets .

Ah, first 60° day of the year here. A very welcome break from what we've been having the lat couple weeks; Almost felt lik a summery day. (finally was able to go out without bundling up and feeling like the kid brother from A Christmas Story.

Went to the coffee shop, then took a walk stopping first at the a for a pint and sat outside in the sun for the first rime in a long time, and then the market on the way home. The mild spring like conditions will last for a couple more days before it goes back downhill to the 40s and cold rain again. 

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

I'm jealous of the warm weather you guys are having. It's still in the low 40s here. 

Can't find my favorite energy drink anywhere these days. Are stores out of stock or do they just not carry it anymore? I haven't asked yet.

Couldn't sleep last night, so I'm going to need a lot of caffeine today. Thankfully I have a Melon Mania Reign. Not as good as Razzle Berry, but still nice.

Can't account for $150 missing from the bank account. No guesses as to what might be causing the discrepancy. If I can't figure it out, my spending budget will take a major hit. Why oh why did it have to happen during March?!

edited March 2021

Two charges cleared the account and now the discrepancy is $80 bigger? That can't be right...crying

Edit: I really started to panic for a second there, but after updating the spreadsheet, I realized we haven't gotten our $200 from the other person that lives on the property. Current discrepancy: $18.65, which looks suspiciously like a beer purchase slipped between the cracks. Now to track that bad boy down!

Update: I found it! There was a charge for $18.35 that I missed. Now the only thing I am missing is the $10-15 of quantum money we sometimes have. Sometimes we have a surplus balance of $15 and sometimes we do not. It both exists and doesn't exist.

All this hard work deserves a reward of cereal. 

Post edited by Sera on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited March 2021

Two complaints:

One... Going through my iPad settings and I saw a notification that said my DAZ "account password appears in a data leak that put the account at high risk of compromise"... so I should change my password...

I'm sure I'm going to be told that's hogwash, but since I never go that deep into the notifications and it has no date as to when that notification appeared, I'm not sure if this is old or today, a false alarm or whatever... but I'm pretty sure I recently saw someone here mention something about seeing a similar notification when using a data leak checking app or service.

What the eff ever, I changed my password again, way longer and more convoluted...

Which brings me to my next complaint... 

Two...

What year is it?... oh yeah... 2021... 

Can we stop with the password text fields that hide the goddamn character the second after you type it in like someone is sitting right behind you taking f**king notes?... Can we have the option to hide that or not? 
    Or copy and paste it?
    Some of us are not conducting our lives in the middle of Times Square on a 400 inch monitor... some of us are at home or in a room all alone and would like to f**king see the goddamn 500 character string every website now needs for a remotely safe password... and then after coming up with an extremely long password you expect me to type that s**t blindly into the "confirm password" field, so when it rejects it, I have no f**king idea what character was wrong? and of course there is almost NEVER the option to copy and paste...
    Can I please, please, please have the f**king option to hide that information?...

Its not 1994, when everyone was still using "1234" as their password, maybe that s**t flew somewhere... when people still had six or eight character passwords, but now most websites are like "please enter at least 12 characters, 14 numbers, 9 punctuations, 6 dingbats, 3 emojis and a f**king ripe banana into the password field"... and then some have a notification on the side that tells you how safe the password is... so you keep typing... and of course the longer, more random or convoluted the password, the better... so you end up with this f**ked up 200 character (and one banana) long Enigma code on LSD that not even cybernetic Robert Langdon could keep track of...
    I wanna run amok with a friggin' crowbar when that happens... 

Every time I come across a website that allows me to see the password if I need to, I wanna hug the person who gave that option... not so much when I'm not given the option... then I want to introduce them to my friend Mr. Smashy...

Well, that's it... carry on and cheers and all.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • Add to that the sites that make your pick out the pictures of say "cars" from a set of 9 diliberately low resolution pictures which are out of focus and could either be a car, your grandmother, or the lockness monster depending on the lighting but can be discerned in .09 nanoseconds flat by your average spam bot.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited March 2021

my dad talks/gossips too much.  no wonder he doesn't have many friends.  he goes on and on... oy, just give it a rest will ya!  Talking to a complete stranger is one thing, but telling them his life story when he just met them is another.

Post edited by starionwolf on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,456
    edited March 2021

certaintree38 said:

I'm jealous of the warm weather you guys are having. It's still in the low 40s here. 

Can't find my favorite energy drink anywhere these days. Are stores out of stock or do they just not carry it anymore? I haven't asked yet.

Couldn't sleep last night, so I'm going to need a lot of caffeine today. Thankfully I have a Melon Mania Reign. Not as good as Razzle Berry, but still nice.

Can't account for $150 missing from the bank account. No guesses as to what might be causing the discrepancy. If I can't figure it out, my spending budget will take a major hit. Why oh why did it have to happen during March?!

There is a shortage of beverage cans.  The beer companies are buying them all up, or screaming that they can't find enough. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/07/15/aluminum-can-shortage-beer-soda-coca-cola-pepsico-covid-19/5443308002/

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited March 2021

warming my hands on a cuppa barry

is dang windy out there.  was howlie groanie last night.  broom and bucket half way across the yard.

squirrels holding on to their children 

Sunny/Wind

• Feels Like18°

• WindWNW 24 mph

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited March 2021

certaintree38 said:

Two charges cleared the account and now the discrepancy is $80 bigger? That can't be right...crying

Edit: I really started to panic for a second there, but after updating the spreadsheet, I realized we haven't gotten our $200 from the other person that lives on the property. Current discrepancy: $18.65, which looks suspiciously like a beer purchase slipped between the cracks. Now to track that bad boy down!

Update: I found it! There was a charge for $18.35 that I missed. Now the only thing I am missing is the $10-15 of quantum money we sometimes have. Sometimes we have a surplus balance of $15 and sometimes we do not. It both exists and doesn't exist.

All this hard work deserves a reward of cereal. 

I keep a to-the-penny spreadsheet of all my expenses and cash-in-hand.  For several months I had a problem getting it to resolve with my on-line accounts, checkbook, wallet and coinbox.  I finally tracked it down to a problem with Amazon's Store Card account.  I was paying the value listed in my spreadsheet which often was ahead of their posted charges.  Some sites won't let you do that, apparently they don't like to carry negative balances and owe you money.  But Amazon happily took my money and ran.  The next bill neglected the fact that I'd already paid for some items before they posted the charge and just showed my balance as $0.00 instead of showing credit.  I waited a couple weeks for the charges and the website balances to even out but they never did.  I posted a message to them one month but never heard anything back and then it happened again.   Then I thought about gathering all my paperwork and starting a proper documented complaint about their store software being boogered up.  (there's probably a "<=" comparison operator where it should/or shouldn't be in their program).  But I decided it was easier to just write off the loss (it was under $50) and never pay more than their displayed balance.  Everything works OK now except when I screw up but that is usually resolved by a half hour of checking my records.   Maybe they've fixed it by now, I don't know.  I just don't prepay anymore.indecision

cinnabon daydream

Complaint... walked into room talking to my daughter doing my finest Terry Jones as Mrs Pepperpot voice the moment my wife unannounced, opened a Zoom call for work... I don't know which part they heard, but it probably was audible around the time of "He's a horrible boy, set me chicken coup on fire and burned all me chickens to a crisp, then stomped on the smoldering corpses..."

You really gotta give a warning around me if you hear me coming... 

edited March 2021

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I've finally moved my e-mail program (Microsoft Outlook 2019) from my old computer to my new computer.smiley  That completes my transfer and now my old computer can take a vacation.yes  The only things left for him to do is sit on archived copies of my personal files, play a Blu-Ray disk (if I ever decide to use him instead of my proper Blu-Ray player), and perform diagnostics and "off-line" hard drive copy operations.  So, I guess he deserves his vacation but is now semi-retired.

Edited to add:  And he does a bang up job of holding my little yellow sticky notes on his side panel (even when he's asleep or on vacation).  I'd be lost if I couldn't turn my head and find the bazillion little pieces of information arranged so unneatly there.

edited March 2021

McGyver said:

Complaint... walked into room talking to my daughter doing my finest Terry Jones as Mrs Pepperpot voice the moment my wife unannounced, opened a Zoom call for work... I don't know which part they heard, but it probably was audible around the time of "He's a horrible boy, set me chicken coup on fire and burned all me chickens to a crisp, then stomped on the smoldering corpses..."

Well at least you weren't on camera in only your underwear, however briefly (pun intended).... were you? 

I don't get to keep my old computers. They get cannibalized for parts and turned into mining rigs. My electricity bill is through the roof. That's right: my husband is part of the problem. I am so sorry! I tried to talk him out of it, but he doesn't let me have a say in his "investments." At this point, it's hard to argue with him (on this matter at least). The brand new $800 GPU he bought on credit is literally paying for itself and also turning a profit. Sometimes he buys me snacks with said profits. Tasty, tasty, snacks. cryingdevilblush 

Please forgive us.

diogenese19348 said:

Add to that the sites that make your pick out the pictures of say "cars" from a set of 9 diliberately low resolution pictures which are out of focus and could either be a car, your grandmother, or the lockness monster depending on the lighting but can be discerned in .09 nanoseconds flat by your average spam bot.

...I despise those as the pictures are so small you can't see if the item in question is there or not (particularly if you are older).  This is why I never simply "delete all cookies" as then I have to sign in and deal with it al lover again.  Granted, bots are becoming more sophisticated (pretty sure they'll be able to crack these picture codes soon) so there needs to be a better (yet less annoying for the breathing flesh & blood individual) way to thwart them. 

Mystiarra said:

warming my hands on a cuppa barry

is dang windy out there.  was howlie groanie last night.  broom and bucket half way across the yard.

squirrels holding on to their children 

Sunny/Wind

• Feels Like18°

• WindWNW 24 mph

...just looked at the advance forecast and you folks there cant seem to get a break. A little warmer tomorrow then back to frigid temps again,  Thankfully, no more frozen water from the sky. 

Finally should get more spring like next week.  

LeatherGryphon said:

McGyver said:

Well at least you weren't on camera in only your underwear, however briefly (pun intended).... were you? 

...or was turned into a talking cat.

kyoto kid said:

LeatherGryphon said:

McGyver said:

...or was turned into a talking cat.

Turned into?... Clearly you've never seen a picture of me.

doh  sat down without my troll lap blanket.  is either shiver or get up to get it, big decision of the day

is the stuff out there melting yet?  waiting a couple hours to go for a walk.  not the warmest part of the day yet.

its march again.  a whole year of sitting home alone.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

trying to watch some videos online.  I discovered that my computer cannot play videos HD videos at 60 frames per second.  Computer drops frames like crazy.  ok.. back to studying.  sorry i haven't been on the forums much.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

LeatherGryphon said:

I said what's causing this?  He said, you're getting old. frown  Then he said, you're the second person to come in today with the same problem.indecision

I hate when doctors are right and it means I have to change my life style yet again.sad

Is getting old a lifestyle choice now?  Let me know if you find an alternative that doesn't require dying.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

McGyver said:

Can we stop with the password text fields that hide the goddamn character the second after you type it in like someone is sitting right behind you taking f**king notes?... Can we have the option to hide that or not? 

Or copy and paste it?
    Some of us are not conducting our lives in the middle of Times Square on a 400 inch monitor... some of us are at home or in a room all alone and would like to f**king see the goddamn 500 character string every website now needs for a remotely safe password... and then after coming up with an extremely long password you expect me to type that s**t blindly into the "confirm password" field, so when it rejects it, I have no f**king idea what character was wrong? and of course there is almost NEVER the option to copy and paste...
    Can I please, please, please have the f**king option to hide that information?...

Its not 1994, when everyone was still using "1234" as their password, maybe that s**t flew somewhere... when people still had six or eight character passwords, but now most websites are like "please enter at least 12 characters, 14 numbers, 9 punctuations, 6 dingbats, 3 emojis and a f**king ripe banana into the password field"... and then some have a notification on the side that tells you how safe the password is... so you keep typing... and of course the longer, more random or convoluted the password, the better... so you end up with this f**ked up 200 character (and one banana) long Enigma code on LSD that not even cybernetic Robert Langdon could keep track of...
    I wanna run amok with a friggin' crowbar when that happens... 

Every time I come across a website that allows me to see the password if I need to, I wanna hug the person who gave that option... not so much when I'm not given the option... then I want to introduce them to my friend Mr. Smashy...

Well, that's it... carry on and cheers and all.

I hate password fields that only have a "show password" icon after you start typing -- really breaks up the flow.  Also, I hate it when they have information like "password must be at least 8 characters", so you put in a password, and it rejects it and says "oh, did we not mention that it requires at least 1 numeral, 1 uppercase letter, 1 lowercase letter, and 1 special symbol?"  Why didn't you say so before?

Fixmypcmike said:

LeatherGryphon said:

I said what's causing this?  He said, you're getting old. frown  Then he said, you're the second person to come in today with the same problem.indecision

I hate when doctors are right and it means I have to change my life style yet again.sad

Is getting old a lifestyle choice now?  Let me know if you find an alternative that doesn't require dying.

Sorry to disappoint, but water flows down hill.  It all ends up at the bottom.  The trick is to stop being the water and start being the flow. 

Speaking of life styles... Damn, too much talk about water now I gotta go pee.indecision

edited March 2021

Complaint:  I just spent all afternoon and part of the evening getting my computer local logins and Microsoft account logins straightened out.  I hate the Microsoft account logins.  I'm "old school" and try to do all my work with a local login but once in a while (while installing Windows) you get tricked into establishing a Microsoft login and at the time of installation, it's just too much damn trouble to try to back out of it right then, figuring it's a job for another day.  Well, that day came and I have four computers (laptop, old primary, new primary, and new DAZ machine) that had a mish-mash of  local and MS accounts for Microsoft Store, and computer login, and XBOX (for solitaire and jigsaw puzzles) accounts with different names and avatar pictures.  I set about to make them all uniform in one way or another.  Gad, what I confusing mess.  Trying to find how you log out of and how to change an account type and digging up what the password is for that type of account (I tended to create a new MS account name & password whenever the situation to create an account came up)  I had records of the passwords but they were buried in my list.  

Non-complaint:  Finally I think I've got it down to every machine having a local administrative "Admin" account, and a local standard "MyRealName" account, and yet have the machine permanently know how to automatically log into the MS Store when I go there, and my XBOX gaming name uses the a related MS password but shows my gaming name instead of my real name.yes  But gad, what a convoluted labyrinth of mechanisms to manage passwords.  Not every place you find to make the change gives the same options or results.  It suffers from the "It's just one more little complexity to deal with" syndrome.  But added all together, it's a nightmare.indecision  But now I've typed my selected MS login account name and password so many times that I won't be forgetting it soon,  But it's been documented again just in case.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,738

I used to think all of the ignore threads and complaint threads of the world would be annoying to me. But after reading them, I've come to realize some of my favorite people are in them. Such is life.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Most of my favorite internet friends are in here.

...+1

TJohn said:

Most of my favorite internet friends are in here.

I'm confused..., you mean there's an "outside"?surprise 

edited March 2021

RGB Question:  I'm considering replacing my four unlighted 8GB RAM modules with four same brand (Corsair Vengeance),  same size but higher speed (3200 vs 2666) modules with RGB lights.  However, My motherboard (ASUS Prime B360M-A) only has one RGB header.  Does adding the RGB memory lights draw power through the same motherboard header?  Regardless, I'm really not worried about power limit because I'm currently only using about 1/3 of the power capacity of the RGB header.  I'm just curious as to whether the RGB header and RGB on the RAM sockets are driven by the same source.

But then the more I think about this, the more I'm convinced I answered my own question.​  Just color me old and slow.frown  But confirmation would help.  There's a good sale on this memory today and there's a dark spot in my computer's window and... well, you know the rest.blush

Never mind:  I decided against the flashy RAM.  I'm more in need of a new office chair.  Not a sexy purchase but at least  it would be more practical.  Old office chair has had leatherette mange for well over a year now and looks completely horrible and I keep finding little, extremely thin, black flakes of detached leatherette surface everywhere.  On my clothes, on the rug, in my hair.  Yuck!  "Bonded Leather"  angryGrrrr... will never buy it again.  It's either real leather or cloth material for me from now on.  And since I can't afford (nor even find) real leather desk chairs, I guess it will be cloth.

edited March 2021

Complaint:  Arghhh... my DAZ installation on my new DAZing machine is majorly confused.  After years decades of manually adding models to my library and several re-loads at different file positions and moves between various computers, I have created a spaghetti monster.  I used to have the whole thing working with judicious insertion of symbolic links (Band-Aids, bailing wire and chewing gum) but that mechanism seems to have gotten lost in the latest move.sad  Half of my library of completed scenes load properly and the others scream bloody murder about not being able to find stuff.  So I "fixed" it again and now some scenes are fixed and a new set of scenes are broken.  Arghhh...crying  I'm going to have to bite the bullet and retire some of the scenes, then completely wipe my library and reinstall my most frequently used models.  The retired scenes, if required, could be brought out of mothballs and reconstructed (painfully) by resolving broken links if absolutely necessary. (*sigh*)indecision

Non-complaint:  Sometimes a new broom sweeps clean.indecision

Question:  Isn't there a better way of doing this?  When a scene has a broken link why can't we just say "go find it please" and it runs off to brute force search the drives and find a workable link (or several and let me choose which one to use), and then automatically remember where the root of the link was and incorporate that in to a list of "last resort places to find things"?

This discussion has been closed.