Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Yup! Cat's Eye! No Jon , you do not want it to come to you in your sleep he will steal your breath!
    The original was made by Carlo Rambaldi, the guy who made ET.

Evilproducer....Yes , feather is carrara hair. It needs a bit of work,but when you are making dozens of other bits,you need to know when to stop fiddling. I guess it does look like a feather cos you recognized it as one:-)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Yup! Cat's Eye! No Jon , you do not want it to come to you in your sleep he will steal your breath!
    The original was made by Carlo Rambaldi, the guy who made ET.

Evilproducer....Yes , feather is carrara hair. It needs a bit of work,but when you are making dozens of other bits,you need to know when to stop fiddling. I guess it does look like a feather cos you recognized it as one:-)

I tried the same thing once and your feather turned out great! My feather? Well, let's just say it looked like it came out of the wrong end of a chicken plucking machine... :sick:

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

More Futurama nonsense.
    If nothing else, I'm amusing myself. But since I went to the trouble of making these models, by gum, I'm going to use them! :lol:

BenderAngleyne.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 161K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    More Futurama nonsense.
    If nothing else, I'm amusing myself. But since I went to the trouble of making these models, by gum, I'm going to use them! :lol:

:-)

edited December 1969

de3an said:
    More Futurama nonsense.

That's awesome!

edited December 1969

@bigh
    @evilproducer

Thanks!

By the way, the printed dialog is a quote from a Futurama episode. As is the scene setup.
    But any Futurama aficionado would probably already know this. :)

edited December 1969

A little test for a scene I want to try...

Dystopia City Blocks (1-20), replicated on a sphere primitive. Shaders are heavily tweaked with random squares in the glow channel to simulate lit windows.

Test.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839
    edited December 1969

An amazing image, Evilproducer!

It is of a standard that could find itself in a glossy magazine with an article on overcrowding or some such topic.

edited December 1969

d3an

I love the Bender images. Great modelling, too.

Note to self: watch more Futurama!

edited December 1969

Stu Sutcliffe,

Breathtaking!

• MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190
    edited December 1969

Dystopia City Blocks (1-20), replicated on a sphere primitive. Shaders are heavily tweaked with random squares in the glow channel to simulate lit windows.

Love this!

edited December 1969

It belongs in an image bank for sale.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

I like. Spiiffingly good :)

Q: How do you do 'random' squares?

edited December 1969

head wax said:

I like. Spiiffingly good :)

Q: How do you do 'random' squares?

Not surprisingly, it was Holly that had a mini tutorial about in the old Carrara WIP forum. Man, she's a genius with that stuff! I hope she comes back at some point.

I think I discussed this in one of the Carrara Monthly Challenges WIP thread. I'll dig around to see which one, and link back to it.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

That really is excellent Evil, I can't stop looking at it :)

Where is Holly these days? I haven't seen a post from her in a long long time. Did she leave the forum for some reason that I missed out on?

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:

Where is Holly these days? I haven't seen a post from her in a long long time. Did she leave the forum for some reason that I missed out on?

From what I have pieced together, and keep in mind, my view has all sorts of holes in it like Swiss Cheese, but she was doing work as an administrator at the Cafe and spending a lot of time rebuilding it. There was a big kerfuffle with Manstan in the Cafe's forum, and I believe he (privately?) asked a post be removed, so Jetbird (who also was an admin), removed it, but someone else (not stan) thought she did and accused her of censorship. She was already under a great deal of stress with the Cafe, and I think she felt betrayed by the lack of trust and washed her hands of the cafe, and apparently here as well. Anyway, that is how I perceived it, but as I said, it's like trying to see the big picture through Swiss Cheese.

I'm thankful that she left he wonderful tutorials with the Cafe.

edited December 1969

Here is a link about how to get randomly lit windows.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29066/P45/#433533

Keep in mind that I based this shader on a tutorial that Holly posted in the Carrara WIPs forum in the old DAZ forums. She built it on a custom or kit-bashed model and I adapted her method for the Dystopia City Blocks that were or are free from DAZ3D. If you use this method on another model or set of models (as the case may be) you will probably need to adjust the scaling and other functions.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:

From what I have pieced together, and keep in mind, my view has all sorts of holes in it like Swiss Cheese, but she was doing work as an administrator at the Cafe and spending a lot of time rebuilding it. There was a big kerfuffle with Manstan in the Cafe's forum, and I believe he (privately?) asked a post be removed, so Jetbird (who also was an admin), removed it, but someone else (not stan) thought she did and accused her of censorship. She was already under a great deal of stress with the Cafe, and I think she felt betrayed by the lack of trust and washed her hands of the cafe, and apparently here as well. Anyway, that is how I perceived it, but as I said, it's like trying to see the big picture through Swiss Cheese.

I'm thankful that she left he wonderful tutorials with the Cafe.

seems right as I saw it, she was a wonderful addition to our community, i t's pretty sad.

thanks for the link to random stuff, appreaciated.

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

I like....

edited December 1969

I didn't know she had deliberately left the forums, I just figured she was busy with real life stuff getting in the way, that's a real blow to the Carrara community at large if she's gone quiet for good. She was always awesome, one of the original Carrara masters I learned tons from (I even remember that glowing window tutorial you mention). Sucks that some idiot drove her away...

Holly, if you're out there lurking, come back! You're sorely missed :(

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    I didn't know she had deliberately left the forums, I just figured she was busy with real life stuff getting in the way, that's a real blow to the Carrara community at large if she's gone quiet for good. She was always awesome, one of the original Carrara masters I learned tons from (I even remember that glowing window tutorial you mention). Sucks that some idiot drove her away...

Holly, if you're out there lurking, come back! You're sorely missed :(

Wellll.... That person is definitely not an idiot, I think it was a misunderstanding partly due to a language barrier and not knowing Holly. Add to that a huge amount of aggravation over her situation with our favorite conspiracy theorist and another person that used to "rant" here going ballistic at the Cafe about Carrara and DAZ, and all the stress from trying to revamp the Cafe and a ton of technical hurdles because of it.... I may have gone nuclear myself. I think the person that set her off for good was very surprised, and sorry for what happened. The post was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Hopefully she'll be able to put her hurt feelings aside, and come back. It was a thankless job she took on herself and she deserved better, but hopefully she'll realize that many people here miss her and appreciated what she did for this community and for Carrara.

edited December 1969

Here's my finished (I think) picture.

I dreamed it last night and woke up wondering how I could do it.

The foreground clouds are Carrara's volumetric clouds which the city-sphere is placed within. Image in the background is a Hubble image from NASA. which I cropped to match my aspect, and placed in the scene's Backdrop. The resolution is quite large, so I placed it in the Background as well, so I could get a reflection on the reflective bits of the city. Because the reflective areas are small and broken up, I wasn't concerned about it not being a spherical render.

Out of curiosity, I rendered a shadow pass and it was an epic fail. I discussed this in my post in Joe's compositing thread. I'll post an image of the shadow pass there. The depth and volume primitive passes worked like a charm.

Now I want to animate it. ;-)

city_planet.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    edited March 2015

Cool. The large version is impressive.

Kind of reminded me of the opening to "Metal Hurlant Chronicles".

Quote:
    "The last fragment of a once living planet. Its body blasted into dust by the madness of its own inhabitants. While its head was cursed to roam aimlessly through time and space."

A kind of depressing premise for a rather bizarre TV series.

Post edited by de3an on
    edited December 1969

de3an said:

Quote:
    "The last fragment of a once living planet. Its body blasted into dust by the madness of its own inhabitants. While its head was cursed to roam aimlessly through time and space."

Thanks!

I'll have to look that show up. Sounds interesting.

edited December 1969

de3an said:

Quote:

Just found a review. Ouch.
    http://www.avclub.com/review/metal-hurlant-chronicles-classic-sci-fi-beauty-and-203314

edited December 1969

de3an said:

Quote:

Just found a review. Ouch.
    http://www.avclub.com/review/metal-hurlant-chronicles-classic-sci-fi-beauty-and-203314

I had never heard of that one before, but after reading the review... yeah... ouch seems right. Of course, syfy....

On the other hand, Syfy has 'The Expanse' coming late this year, actually kind of jazzed about that. The book series it's based on is quite good, definitely makes my top 10 all time favorite space operas and probably even as high as top 5. Supposedly they spent more money on it than any other Syfy project in history (doesn't mean it won't be cheap looking though, but I don't care about effects as long as the story is good). If done right, it would be a bit of a cross between Serenity/Firefly and Game of Thrones. Hopefully they'll keep close enough to the actual story that it will be good, so I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic...

I'll have to give Metal Hurlan Chronicles a watch though, I generally find it a good practice never to take professional critics seriously.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:

I'll have to give Metal Hurlan Chronicles a watch though, I generally find it a good practice never to take professional critics seriously.

Absolutely. There are movies, books and TV shows that I enjoyed quite immensely despite being panned. In some of those instances, I could see the point of the critics, but even if they were campy, trashy or dumb, there would be some nugget that tickled my fancy and I could get past or even celebrate the trashy part of it. It helps if the producers and talent realize the nature of what they're doing however. If they take themselves too seriously, then it's just plain awful.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

The foreground clouds are Carrara's volumetric clouds which the city-sphere is placed within. Image in the background is a Hubble image from NASA. which I cropped to match my aspect, and placed in the scene's Backdrop. The resolution is quite large, so I placed it in the Background as well, so I could get a reflection on the reflective bits of the city. Because the reflective areas are small and broken up, I wasn't concerned about it not being a spherical render.

Out of curiosity, I rendered a shadow pass and it was an epic fail. I discussed this in my post in Joe's compositing thread. I'll post an image of the shadow pass there. The depth and volume primitive passes worked like a charm.

Now I want to animate it. ;-)

That is awesome Evilproducer!

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Playing with landscape images in Carrara this weekend. I downloaded a whole bunch of cool looking photo wallpapers and I'm trying to create something inspired by each of them, both for fun and to practice with Carrara's various terrain tools.

Here are the first two.

Mark

AlpsValley.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 278K
    BlueWaterSails_FINAL.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 354K
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    Playing with landscape images in Carrara this weekend. I downloaded a whole bunch of cool looking photo wallpapers and I'm trying to create something inspired by each of them, both for fun and to practice with Carrara's various terrain tools.

Here are the first two.

Mark

I like the top one best, although the creek in the second image looks very nice.
This discussion has been closed.