Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

MDO, the first 2 are great, honestly at first I thought you meant to post rough photos of what you were going to be emulating, then realized I was looking at the renders, took me a sec I admit. Good work there!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Here's my finished (I think) picture.
    Kick A$$, ep!!! I love that!
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Thanks Dart! I thought it was pretty cool.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Here's my finished (I think) picture.
    Kick A$$, ep!!! I love that!

Completely agree, and the animation with the spaceship is even better (check it out in the animation challenge thread if you haven't caught it yet)

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

I like the top one best, although the creek in the second image looks very nice.
    Thanks evilproducer - I like the first one best too. Those sailboats are Carrara native content and look pretty good at a distance. :)

The second one has a lot of pieces I like but it just didn't quite come together perfectly. The mountain one has about 750,000 replicated grass clusters (4-5 six-poly blades of grass each) and 25 terrains including a couple very high res mountains plus the center part with the creek which is actually a vertex model, which seems to be about the limit of what my system can handle. There were supposed to be flowers in the distant valley too but I put the hot-point too high and the replicators placed them all underground or below the grass, and for some reason my final full sized render had a lot of ground level fog that was not in the lower res test renders.

Even with the replicators all hidden in the 3D view it was crazy sluggish. So even though the final render didn't totally work I learned a few things. :)

MDO, the first 2 are great, honestly at first I thought you meant to post rough photos of what you were going to be emulating, then realized I was looking at the renders, took me a sec I admit. Good work there!

Thank you Jonstark. That makes me happy to hear. I wish I could post the images I am using for reference so you could see the difference/how close I got, but some of them are free stock and some aren't and I didn't take note of which ones were which so I don't want to re-post any of them and risk distributing someone else's protected work.

Mark

edited December 1969

Hmmm.... Workibg on a Pinup style picture, and I was testing out caustics and came across a network render bug. Notice the square artifacts? They're pretty subtle, so I could probably edit them out of the image in PS, but I'm wondering if it is difference in he PPC and Intel chips, o how the different OSes handle things?

Picture_1.png
    517 x 648 - 196K
    edited December 1969

So, I had those artifacts I mentioned in my last post. For that render, I had rendered a Caustics pass and I discovered that if I applied evena 1 pixel Gaussian blur, it would hide the artifact in the render pass. What I did, was render the scene without caustics, and thus no network bug artifacts. I then composited the caustics render pass from the first image with a 1 pixel blur into the second non-caustics render.

This image was really meant to be a stupid little pinup style render that was meant to show off the procedural skin shader I made based on a tutorial I found on-line (can't link to it- nudity).

For those that come across this, and haven't heard me discuss it before, the tutorial showed how to get a base procedural skin shader, but it didn't discuss how to get a soft transition between different shading domains, such as the lip domain and face domain, or the nipple domain and torso domains, even though something was clearly going on based on the images in the tutorial.

My solution was to use the 3D paint tool and paint a black and white distribution map for the lips and nips. Other than those two maps, the shaders are 100% procedural, and even with those maps, they contribute nothing to specular, color bump, etc. Their sole purpose is to create a softness between two domains.

Because I painted the maps on a V4 model, they use V4s UVs. To change it to a genesis or even an A3, all you would need to do is to paint a new map and load into the distribution channel in the shader.

If anybody wants the shader, I have it on ShareCG. There's also information about the original tutorial in the Read-Me file.
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/77436/view/7/Material-and-Shader/Carrara-V4-Procedural-Skin-Shader-and-hair

I also include dynamic hair eyelashes and eyebrows. Those are built on a V4 mesh, so they can't be converted to another mesh such as Genesis or A3. You can however, see how I built them and you can probably easily improve them.

Red_Blanket.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1016K
  • scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited March 2015

With 2.2 Gamma
    Struggling to create realistic skin tones.
    After 4 hours of experimenting this is all I can come up with.

Realistic.jpg
    701 x 1080 - 78K
    Post edited by scottidog2 on
    edited December 1969

No Gamma at at

Realistic_No-Gamma.jpg
    600 x 1080 - 71K
    edited December 1969

Getting better skin tones without using Gamma Correction.

edited December 1969

I can't remember, do you use a Mac? If so, and you really want to use the gamma, then try 1.8.

• DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited March 2015

1st image is the Byodo In render I got using fake GI. A bit over lit, but what a cool product. Byodo In is an entire park, and darn it I wanted to visit this place, for real.

Next best thing is to create a virtual travel photo, so...

2nd picture is me standing on a cardboard box :) with light coming over my right shoulder, then me standing in the park... camcorder in hand.

- Don

Byodo_04B3L_Daz3D_submit.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 687K
    DSCF2436_l_crop_desat_resize.jpg
    1280 x 825 - 485K
    Base_Render_50pct.jpg
    960 x 540 - 199K
    Post edited by Dondec on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

I can't remember, do you use a Mac? If so, and you really want to use the gamma, then try 1.8.

Only if you're using OSX prior to 10.6.

edited December 1969

Only if you're using OSX prior to 10.6.
    I had heard it changed. Still, less gamma correction maybe couldn't hurt. I'm not a 100% fan of it myself. Some scenes it works okay, and others, not so much.

edited December 1969

1st image is the Byodo In render I got using fake GI. A bit over lit, but what a cool product. Byodo In is an entire park, and darn it I wanted to visit this place, for real.

Next best thing is to create a virtual travel photo, so...

2nd picture is me standing on a cardboard box :) with light coming over my right shoulder, then me standing in the park... camcorder in hand.

- Don

Very nice match on the on the light angle. The composite isn't to shabby either.

edited March 2015

On Mac using OS 10.2.2

Adjusted lighting
    No Photoshop - straight out render

Used Gamma 1.8

Gamma1.8_.jpg
    600 x 1080 - 60K
    edited March 2015

On Mac using OS 10.2.2

Adjusted lighting

No Gamma used

New-No-Gamma.jpg
    600 x 1080 - 65K
    edited December 1969

Better without it.

Nice character by the way.

edited December 1969

Rendered skin shades are shader and light rig dependent. More light can burn off some of the orange but makes skin look plastic too.

I am a PC user so use Gamma 2.2. After a bunch of tests I ended up Subtracting red from the figures skin, in the respective color channels. Again this is dependent on what skin you're using, but If you're looking for ideas and familiar with your Carrara's Shader room, you can go through the list of Shading domains and apply the subtract to the skin mats like so...

Hope this helps

- Don

Carrara_Subt.jpg
    640 x 358 - 65K
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Working with replicator in Carrara 8 Pro...
    Made with Carrara 8 Pro and Wings3d

- See more at: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/63123/

ants.jpg
    2000 x 1750 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Rendered skin shades are shader and light rig dependent. More light can burn off some of the orange but makes skin look plastic too.

I am a PC user so use Gamma 2.2. After a bunch of tests I ended up Subtracting red from the figures skin, in the respective color channels. Again this is dependent on what skin you're using, but If you're looking for ideas and familiar with your Carrara's Shader room, you can go through the list of Shading domains and apply the subtract to the skin mats like so...

Hope this helps

- Don

I don't get an orange color for my skins. But you are right that light and shaders do work together, but it is not just the intensity of the light, it is also the color. For my part, rather than go through all the textures, if my skin tone looks to warm, my first thought is to check my lights. Maybe I have one or two where the color is overly saturated.

edited December 1969

Thanks Don. Will try your technique and see if I can improve the realism.

edited December 1969

pimpy said:
    Working with replicator in Carrara 8 Pro...
    Made with Carrara 8 Pro and Wings3d

- See more at: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/63123/

Where's the RAID? ;-) Nice and creepy looking. Now all you need to do is scale them up for a classic take on an old movie from the '50s. I think it is called, Them!
    edited December 1969

Working on building some grass. I think I need to dial back the brown tips a bit.

Dells_Midday-grass.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 3M
    edited December 1969

Yeah Evil... I was starting with the Lana Elite textures, which under my light rig (light hemisphere with replicated low intensity grey lights) came out way orange-red-pinkish. Rather than trying different skins, I tried to understand the problem. The mats themselves are overly orange (for my taste). The old Poser "color multiply" trick didn't cut it, but the Subtract did... or at least it was a heck of a lot better, so... perhaps worth mentioning?

- Don

edited December 1969

Hope this helps

- Don

As of Carrara 8, we may also use a negative light, set at the hue which we need to subtract. If needed, try linking it only to the figure or object.
    edited December 1969

That's a neat idea Dart... clever, TY

- Don

edited December 1969

On Mac using OS 10.2.2

Adjusted lighting

No Gamma used

Sweet! Amazing what differences can be achieved with simple light/render changes! ;)
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

testing shadows, no postwork, a bit of glare added directly inside carrara

24.JPG
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Yeah Evil... I was starting with the Lana Elite textures, which under my light rig (light hemisphere with replicated low intensity grey lights) came out way orange-red-pinkish. Rather than trying different skins, I tried to understand the problem. The mats themselves are overly orange (for my taste). The old Poser "color multiply" trick didn't cut it, but the Subtract did... or at least it was a heck of a lot better, so... perhaps worth mentioning?

- Don

The model must have put on a spray tan before the photographed her skin. ;-)

This discussion has been closed.