Very nice photolike render.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

5 2015 B

000_520_B.jpg
    1500 x 1950 - 1M
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

testing glare to achieve photorealism, a bit overexposed to be used for animations

2843.jpg
    2000 x 1552 - 2M
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

This is why we check our camera positions! :roll:

test1.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited May 2015

Felt like doing another couple of pin-up style renders. I have a bit f a creative block and sometimes a simple render help get the cobwebs out.

Reby Sky Carrara textures and some of my own shader tweaks to the glow channel to fake SSS.

Postwork was a crapload of render passes to help make the lighting a bit more dynamic.

Flora2.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 948K
    Flora.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

The same poses, but with my V4 procedural skin shader and some tweaks to the glow channel for faking SSS.

Flora-procedural.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Flora-procedural02.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 926K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,039
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

I get a lot of those shots with carrara trees and their unticked show leaves :lol:
    also why I wish bounding boxes for replicators were solid like DS, for video pan and dolly this would be invalluable, have mentioned it before but DAZ developers never read my posts.

Nice work there EP.

edited December 1969
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

LOL - been there. Hopefully you didn't lose too much time. (Laughing with you, not at you).

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839
    edited December 1969

Great renders, once again! And such diversity.

Bigh - that's an amazing amount of plant life in one scene. Very nice.

Magaremoto, you've achieved a great look in the background of the glare test and the faces are amazing.

Tim_A - although an accident, the foliage looks nice close-up!

5thElement that's a lovely scene with the cottage.

Evilproducer, powerful light and shader effects. In my view the last picture posted is the best of the four but my knowledge of these aspects of Carrara is very limited. I wondered how the first would look with a very dark background.

I've been trying some renders of my own today - some frames from a short animation with some variations in the extremely basic lighting.

The figure is G2F. I found her fitted with the hair and swimwear today when I took a look at DAZ Studio. They came free in the Scene Builder category.

PoolRender.jpg
    960 x 720 - 117K
    GIrend.jpg
    960 x 720 - 552K
    PoolShot.jpg
    960 x 720 - 601K
    edited May 2015

Thanks for the comments. The leaves were freshly photographed last week, so they're all bright and Spring-like ;) (although it's hard to stop the CA tree generator from chopping leaves through the middles of each other.) Sometime I want to try adding in blossoms, berries, nuts etc...

And yes, if I didn't mean for you to have a little giggle, I wouldn't have posted the pic ;)

Here's how the scene should have looked, although I'm still struggling to get lighting that I'm happy with (Rashad! Where's that tutorial????)

I've now given the scene a fictional location, which will carry through to other scenes. - a good English town name: Much Hemlock On The Wold, in the equally fictional Ravenshire County (wold just means 'hill' in old English, in case you were wondering). And because I can never stop tinkering, I built a sign, in the old cast iron rustic style. This was rendered before I finalised the place names. I did try using a displacement map on the text, but it just exploded into a right mess, so I ended up using text primitives.

I know, stop tinkering!

BTW, that isn't actually hemlock in the picture. Or is it ... ?

CA_Sign.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    CA_Track_East.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    Thanks for the comments. The leaves were freshly photographed last week, so they're all bright and Spring-like ;) (although it's hard to stop the CA tree generator from chopping leaves through the middles of each other.) Sometime I want to try adding in blossoms, berries, nuts etc...

And yes, if I didn't mean for you to have a little giggle, I wouldn't have posted the pic ;)

Here's how the scene should have looked, although I'm still struggling to get lighting that I'm happy with (Rashad! Where's that tutorial????)

I've now given the scene a fictional location, which will carry through to other scenes. - a good English town name: Much Hemlock On The Wold, in the equally fictional Ravenshire County (wold just means 'hill' in old English, in case you were wondering). And because I can never stop tinkering, I built a sign, in the old cast iron rustic style. This was rendered before I finalised the place names. I did try using a displacement map on the text, but it just exploded into a right mess, so I ended up using text primitives.

I know, stop tinkering!

BTW, that isn't actually hemlock in the picture. Or is it ... ?

Tim, I thought that was a reference photo at first... excellent work!

edited December 1969

Here's a test render using one of the Skies of Economy HDRIs:

CA_Pond2e.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 1M
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Nice work from so many people.

I'm having fun making clothes

balcony_new2.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 77K
    balcony_new4.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 121K
    balcony_new3.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 94K
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

Awesome Unsullied.

I was looking for such warriors, Muslim type, a few months back. I started a thread about it here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/51891/

How realistic is it for such eastern warriors? Like Ayyubids?

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

That's nipple-cutting, Grey Worm-approved great work there :) Truly excellent Unsullied armor, looks like it just came off the Mereen set of GoT. Would make a good product for the Daz store too I think, really good work

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Tim A,

You might well be the one conducting an outdoor lighting tutorial, because these results are great and I'm not certain I could produce any better on my own. I do thank you for your amazing results so far and the hard work you've put in. I am curious about the render times, long short, depends?. But generally, you are making exceptional headway with this and I am impressed greatly and really look forward to even more from you.

edited December 1969

Here's the 'final' version of the road sign. Rendered with Skylight GI and HDRI sky background. Single distant light for "sun" Took 3 hours dead.(1300x1000, "Good/0.5 pixel/1 pixel, Gamma 2.2, distant light and GI intensity at 500%) The pond render took 4.5 hours (1600x1000, but otherwise same settings). i5 @ 3.2GHz, 8GB Ram, OSX Yosemite.

Significant things possibly: there's translucency in the tree leaves, and transparency in the undergrowth (nettle leaves, cow parsley leaves)

CA_Much_Hemlock.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited May 2015

Thanks NDelphi :)

You've got some good advice in that thread about re-using existing stuff,.. just changing / making new textures, there's a lot you can do with a long dress type of outfit,.

you should try making something simple in Carrara,. like a tabard or tunic, and the transfer utility in Daz Studio to rig it for genesis,
    Carrara can also do soft-body cloth, which could work for robes and hanging fabrics for renders.

I'm making this "unsullied" outfit in Carrara, just for the fun.I still need to figure out how to fix the shoulders, which should point out, instead of curving over the shoulder.

Game of thrones has certainly revived the medieval type warrior, even if it's fantasy, it's fun and may inspire some people to look at real history. ...the Knights of the temple .and later, St John and the Hospitaliers are far more interesting.

You've got to appreciate the mystery of a Warrior / Monk :)
    fighting for peace.who disappears from history overnight with the worlds largest navy.

Edit to add:

Thanks Jon :)
    nice of you to say so :)

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

hello everyone, these are my first render with Luxus ...
    I have several problems with the materials ... Comments and suggestions are welcome :)

skull-luxout.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 5M
    cerchi-Lux_Sun.png
    1000 x 667 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Jumper!

Cory 6 with default shaders.

CA_Jumper.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Tim your stuff just amazes me

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

That's because it reminds you of your stuff :) Nice look of joy tim

edited December 1969

pimpy said:
    I have several problems with the materials ... Comments and suggestions are welcome :)

top one is wonderful !

edited May 2015

quick comparison here: one is an unbiased render with hdr only, the other one is by carrara no hdr

09.jpg
    2000 x 1460 - 2M
    10.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by magaremoto on
    edited December 1969

i vote for the bottom one ;)

edited December 1969

pimpy said:

I love the earrings in the top pic - gorgeous gold shader!

I've got some comments on the second one, which may or may not help ...
    Overall, I think it looks "low poly". The grass and flowers particularly enforce that. But there are some simple tricks you can do, which will improve things. For the grass and stems, add smoothing. 2 or 3 levels should give fairly nice curves. The colour is fine for the shader, but it could use some bump (you probably wouldn't bother for a lawn, but in close up it matters). Grass has very fine longitudinal ridges, so just some light grey/dark grey vertical lines will do the trick.

Same thing is true of the other models - they need some bump. The dirt coming off the fingers looks more like globules of water, but again I think bump will fix that.

Using planes for flowers will always look like you're using planes for flowers. But there's an easy way to add depth and make it much less obvious. Take a circle (I use the top of a cylinder) then tesselate it vertex to centre. This will create t a bunch of pie wedges. Select the vertex at the centre of the pie and drag it down. When you map your flower onto it -- instant depth. If you get the number of sides and rotation right, your petals will even line up! Leave the edges creased though, this is one place you don't want smoothing.

Screen_Shot_2015-05-30_at_10.00_.07_.png
    555 x 417 - 52K
    edited May 2015

BTW, if you want an easy "high poly" flower model, it's really simple. (ie 2 minutes, tops)

Start exactly the same way, with the top of a cylinder. I'd suggest making it 32-sided. Tesselate as before and lower the centre vertex. Then delete every alternate pie segment. Now duplicate the polymesh and rotate it so it fills the gaps. Scale it to be smaller and higher, and you have a second row of petals. A small disc for the bit in the middle and you're done. 33 polys total. This'll work for daisies, dandelions, chrysanthemums and all manner of aster-style flowers.

Screen_Shot_2015-05-30_at_10.38_.40_.png
    923 x 762 - 116K
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    i vote for the bottom one ;)

right choice :lol:
    some uncertainties with shaded surfaces but more parameters to be managed and calibrated imo
    a 10 min render both, slight desaturation in post for carrara

edited December 1969

quick comparison here: one is an unbiased render with hdr only, the other one is by carrara no hdr

These "choice" renders are always interesting, and I always seem to find something in each image that looks better than the other. I'd guess the bottom one is the unbiased render, and overall I think it does look better (the shine on the roof in the top pic looks really horrid, but the plants and ivy in the top pic also look so much better than in the bottom one).

This discussion has been closed.