Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited November 2015

Happy Halloween from we two

Halloween_h15.jpg
    1280 x 1280 - 1M
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Dart, you and Mark's renders look great! I was surprised not to see some Halloween render by Stu.
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2015

I just realized while archiving some old files that it's been almost exactly a year since I switched to Carrara from DAZ Studio.

Last October I entered my very first Carrra Challenge, sukyL's awesome Pulp Cover challenge! It was not only my first attempt to create a full scene in Carrara, but it was the first time I tried to model anything serious. The first thing I tried was a retro-futuristic raygun and it was pretty terrible.  Now it's a year later and I thought I'd see how I've progressed by creating another raygun.  This one is less retro, although I did keep the fin, because fins are cool.

For comparison, here's my October 2014 retroraygun:

Retro-futuristic raygun model

And here's my new one, one year later:

Pew! Pew! Pew!

Raygun_October2014ver.jpg
    800 x 600 - 21K
    PewPewPew_full_size.jpg
    2000 x 2696 - 1M
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

And you have really contributed some great entries and WIPs.  But cheesy guy that I am, I actually think your original raygun is more "realistic."  See the 1:34 mark or so here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mvRfqF6YDo

But no fins!  Just kidding, love the fin and the new raygun. 

Aside, Rocky Jones is one of the inspirations of my Brash Lonergan project.

• diomede said:

And you have really contributed some great entries and WIPs.  But cheesy guy that I am, I actually think your original raygun is more "realistic."  See the 1:34 mark or so here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mvRfqF6YDo

But no fins!  Just kidding, love the fin and the new raygun. 

Aside, Rocky Jones is one of the inspirations of my Brash Lonergan project.

That's awesome - I love it.  I've never heard of Rocky Jones before but it looks like there are a whole bunch of them out there... I guess I know how I'm spending the rest of my Sunday night! laugh

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

And then next Sunday night you can catch up on Crash Corrigan! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU1ZGuRdaUk       

I have always loved these old serials and early scifi TV shows.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990

This was one of my entries to the Hivewire horse challenge a month or so ago...

Whoa... that is SO COOL, Stezza!

MDO, I love both versions. Nice work!

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

lot of fun: quick comparison between an octane render (not mine work, I grabbed it in daz gallery) and Carrara render; the scene is the following

http://www.daz3d.com/little-middle-east-street-diorama

desert-village_730_auto.jpg
    730 x 410 - 131K
    desert-village_730_auto.jpg
    730 x 410 - 131K
    Doc8.jpg
    2000 x 1233 - 288K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Which is which? I see big differences in some of the shaders, particularly the brickwork on the walls, the (presumably) water in  the fountain, and something that's happening on the ground although I'm not quite sure what...

• DeLorean DMC 12, Carrara 8.5 (with a little help of LuxRender), post in Fusion smiley

DeLoreanDMC12F.jpg
    1720 x 810 - 479K
  • DeLorean DMC 12, Carrara 8.5 (with a little help of LuxRender), post in Fusion smiley

No Flux Capacitor? wink

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited November 2015
    MDO2010 said:

DeLorean DMC 12, Carrara 8.5 (with a little help of LuxRender), post in Fusion smiley

No Flux Capacitor? wink

Sadly, no, one day, when I decide to model myself that particular version of this fine vehicle, it will certanly have it.

Here is back view smiley

DeLoreanDMC12B.jpg
    1720 x 810 - 475K
    Post edited by FifthElement on
    edited November 2015

Nice ride 5th! 

Magaremoto, I like your comparison - especially since I tend to like the Carrara version best! LOL   But that's me. Octane can certainly crank out some fine renders though. But... yeah... I really love the built in PR render engine. It just takes some getting used to, like anything else.

Here's a straight render of Wavecutter using Carrara Realistic Sky, Ocean, and volumetric clouds. Winnston_1984 (author of Wavecutter) also includes (as usual for him) a very nice set of scenic globes for skies at night, sunset or daytime, as well as ocean props to match, and finally a wake prop. But this is just using Carrara with the ship prop itself - twas a blast setting up the shaders! Anyways... I really love this ship and am glad that I've finally bought it!

WaveCutter_C2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 386K
    edited November 2015

Here it is with the 'daytime' sky globe, but still using Carrara's Ocean

WaveCutter_Day1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 430K
  • Here's a straight render of Wavecutter using Carrara Realistic Sky, Ocean, and volumetric clouds. Winnston_1984 (author of Wavecutter) also includes (as usual for him) a very nice set of scenic globes for skies at night, sunset or daytime, as well as ocean props to match, and finally a wake prop. But this is just using Carrara with the ship prop itself - twas a blast setting up the shaders! Anyways... I really love this ship and am glad that I've finally bought it!

Sweet.

edited November 2015

Petipet rocks!

Just got his "Atlantida Spaceguard" and, after reading the description, decided to put it to action saving the planet against some unknown threat. It looked so cool (to me) that I decided to add the other Atlantida ship that I bought and replicate it all over a vertex formation mesh to add support. His models come with such nice texture options and wonderful action morphs... I really like petipet products! :)

Atlantida Spaceguard Onslaught1h.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 620K

hi DB, I like the use of volumetrics in your works, they always add a bit of drama or pathos. As for my comparison, it tends to show how carrara can almost be a viable tool for outdoor scenes; octane is capable to manage materials reflections and specularity in a better way (look at the shaded walls) and have a better glare outcome generally

the following are a default thea presto montecarlo render and another carrara try, with more glare and less sun intensity

thea 600.jpg
    1013 x 627 - 100K
    Doc4.jpg
    1200 x 740 - 112K
  • YofielYofiel Posts: 204

lol Dartanbeck,when  I saw that wavecutter model I must admit I was tempted but frankly the bowsprit would snap off on my first render. 

This was my first attempt at using fog to cover up missing parts of the picture. 

rome4.jpg
    1211 x 686 - 70K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited November 2015

Really nice renders!

Dart, that sci-fi battle looks really cool. Great use volumetric clouds! The ship looks really great as well.

Magaremoto, your environmental lighting rig really does look as if it could give other renderers a run for their money.

Yofiel, that night scene is really nice. I'm looking forward to seeing how your scene progresses in the other thread of yours. My only suggestion would be to add a couple more tree types for variety.

Here's my latest attempt at converting the procedural skin shader I created for V4 to an A3 figure. I think the skin itself is done, but I obviously need eyelashes and eyebrows, which I have made from dynamic hair. Those still need a lot of work.

For comparison, I'm uploading the raw render and the postworked render. I used no GI.

Also, the skin uses no image maps for color, bump, highlight, etc. etc. I do use two black and white maps to provide gradients between the lip and nipple shading domains.

Click thumbnails to see full sized images!

A3 Procedural pin-up-raw.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
    A3 Procedural pin-up-edited.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990

Playing around with the koala for a Carrara challenge over at Renderosity Carrara Forum ;-)

edited November 2015

thank you EP,

these are final results after normalization in post; apart from different colors of sun and sky that affect general color output,  I think that octane, vue and iray get the best in terms of realism, then carrara and thea, because of more convincing shadows and reflections. Render time between 6 and 8 min (dunno for octane). If I recall the carrara engine is the same since the release # 5 (2005) crying

ps EP: color, specularity and bump are very good imo

comparison.jpg
    1699 x 2000 - 466K
    Post edited by magaremoto on
  •  

thank you EP,

these are final results after normalization in post; apart from different colors of sun and sky that affect general color output,  I think that octane, vue and iray get the best in terms of realism, then carrara and thea, because of more convincing shadows and reflections. Render time between 6 and 8 min (dunno for octane). If I recall the carrara engine is the same since the release # 5 (2005) crying

ps EP: color, specularity and bump are very good imo

Did Octane lose some of the materials, or did you just forget to load a map somewhere?  The stairs are a different color and the broken section of wall where brick is showing thorugh seem to be missing. 

This is a really nice comparison though.  Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to set up and adjust materials for each renderer? 

Hi MD02010,

as said above, the octane version isn't mine, the author made some adjustments and modifications; I used the default prop doing anything except for glass in carrara by using one of mine

this one is the arion version, normalized

arion r.jpg
    663 x 401 - 51K

Nice shaders, EP! Looking great!

Stezza, great... now I'll be having nightmares about killer Koalas! LOL

Mag, Very cool comparison.

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited November 2015
    MDO2010 said:
    Hi MD02010,

as said above, the octane version isn't mine, the author made some adjustments and modifications; I used the default prop doing anything except for glass in carrara by using one of mine

this one is the arion version, normalized

Cool smiley

Now try to compare night version in Carrara, with this IRay render from the promo page for this product:

It can be sometimes challenging to do night scenes in Carrara smiley

Post edited by FifthElement on
  • Maybe a challenge, but not impossible. ;-)
    Composited-war-of-the-world.jpg
    1538 x 2000 - 1M
    DAZling-comped-glow.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
    Planet Terror02.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 1M
  • I've done a couple.

7 point light in Pan Alley M4 Goblin Spidey.png
    1500 x 836 - 2M
    Lamp Post long.png
    1125 x 1500 - 2M
    edited November 2015

Nice!

On another note, I've been having fun lately lighting indoor scenes entirely with Shape and Tube lights. Of course, as already mentioned earlier... I also have an addiction to adding volumetric clouds. I just can't help it. For it to be making sense in this scene, something very wrong must be going on.

3dc ReactorA Cam1h.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 684K
    edited November 2015

a night scene? why not? in the next future I'm going to give it a try but the challenge I wanna face now is with interior scenes: the following are an updated carrara result -with less reflections and a bit of desaturation in post - and the interior glimpse I wanna test; the lighting rigs are the same except for: white sky and volumetric dome, less sky light and more IL. As for the outdoor scene I can't achieve anything comparable with C4D, cycles and clarisse

ps Stezza, EP, Brian and DB very cooool illustrations

1.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 268K
    Doc3.jpg
    2000 x 1263 - 198K
    Post edited by magaremoto on
This discussion has been closed.