Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Very nice! I love the shader!

What render engine are you using, Octane?

• Lol, no, just regular Carrara renderer, thanks, texturing was done in Substance Painter, here is B&W version smiley

Buddha2.jpg
    782 x 912 - 311K

So Substance Painter doesn't just spit out PBR materials? I've been ignoring it because I'm not yet that interested in PBR. I'm going to be checking out LuxusCore, but I am so addicted to our texture room that I'm not really in a rush on that.

edited August 2016

DCG's Enhance C, Shader Ops 1 & Shader Ops 2 have all manner of high-end shader tweaks. They are a bit confusing to figure out. He has a few tutorials and example textures, which helps to see the power behind these crazy-powerful options. 

I really need to take the time to explore these new options. There's certainly a LOT to each of them - conveniently added right to our list of options in our Texture room Shader channels. 

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

great carrara render, FifthElement, would be fine to have basic PBR materials within carrara smiley

a test to simulate sebum layer on Danae's Lyon morph, slight adjustment in post

Lyon.jpg
    2400 x 2724 - 2M

Sweet! Danae sure rocks those textures, eh? Nice job with the shaders!

edited August 2016

Here's a low-quality render of my Rosie's new EYEdeas 3+ eyes, subtle changes to the face (mostly unnoticeable unless she opens her lips/mouth - changed the inner mouth/teeth/tongue mesh to better accomodate her natural appearance) and skin shaders. My workstation is still busy - so I haven't been able to work on her hair changes yet (the files I need are on that machine... gotta remember to dropbox those!)

Also sporting a new costume option: Omega Huntress! Not everyday we see Rosie packing six-shooters!

RT Omega Huntress.jpg
    397 x 700 - 181K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

thanks DB I just tweaked face reflections and roughness a bit only

cool brand new costume and likely textured too, just like hair; as for the skin seems too smooth and uniform maybe due to low res

anyway an effective companion for your hero

They are incredibly low-rez textures for skin. I did that a few years ago to reduce resources. A lot of things have changed since then - especially my skill with Carrara - so she'll be getting all new textures. 

I bought Dimension Theory's Carracters: Delphina a whille back, along with the neccessary Delphina by RM. DT's pack comes with video tutorials about his reasoning for using reflections on the skin shaders along with a bunch of other fun information - I really like listening to Jeff! 

Not sure if I'll be using Delphina or any of the other texture sets I have currently for Rosie - but I might. I'm currently going through them all looking for just the right one. I do really like Delphina...

<<<   This Raysee doll's textures are really nice, too... and kind of match the look I'm going for, although no matter which I use, I always need to use the base face texture and paint my own eyeliner on, because I do want the eyeliner but not all of the makeup that otherwise come along with it. 

Now, after that huge $4 bundle sale, I have a whole plethora of high-rez texture packs to choose from - so I'm going to take my time picking one or more (I blended several products together to get the eyes that I wanted), and might even end up buying something new for her - since she is the main character, after all!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited August 2016

I just can't resist following this thread to see all the great work and renders to aim for from those like FifthElement, Dartanbeck and of course all all others.

Post edited by wgdjohn on

Thanks, wdjohn! Me too!

This is certainly one of my favorite reasons to go on the internet - to see all the cool renders! It gets slow for a spell, it will sometimes get filled with more words than images, but all in all, I love all of these "Post your Renders" posts! 

Fun tip: Even in my super-fast, low-quality render above, we can still see reflective surfaces behaving properly - nice shines and such, yet it's an empty, black scene. That's because I have a spherical map in the background, and then set the backdrop to color = black. This is a great way to save simple scene presets for testing shaders, building characters, etc., otherwise reflective shaders can end up turning black, or whatever is in their Color channel.

A slightly different take on DarkStar Crew 1, this one is using Carrara as a compositor by using the original gallery image (but before color grading) as a backdrop as I rendered a test image of Rosie's latest shaders for skin, hair, eyes, inner mouth, and the J-Suit. 

This one is using Arki's EYEdeas 3+ replacement eyes and I've added a fourth copy of Goldtassel's Angelina Hair to create Rosie's bold locks. Again, in Carrara I can add a second (in this case third and fourth, too!) conforming mesh and edit the mesh entirely to make a blend with the original. So with hair like this, I can move around, rotate, and scale individual wefts of hair, which makes for the best resemblance I've found to date of the real Rosie's beautiful, naturally curly hair!

I've slightly adjusted the third layer of the hair as well. The new hair shaders are using a render of some Carrara Dynamic hair and then edited it down as a texture map that fits. I've also made a reflection map for it which really helps it to look real, but it takes too long to render for my purposes.

After trying many other skin texture sets, I've realized that I really like this one, so I just tweaked the shaders a bit more and I'm happy with the result. The texture set is Nanette by Danie & Marforno

Pretty much every conforming part of this character has had its mesh tweaked for her shape and some have a bunch of animation-helper morphs added. I love doing that sort of thing! ;)

Carrara really rocks! I just love using it more and more each time I open it up! ;)

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited August 2016

DCG's Enhance C, Shader Ops 1 & Shader Ops 2 have all manner of high-end shader tweaks. They are a bit confusing to figure out. He has a few tutorials and example textures, which helps to see the power behind these crazy-powerful options. 

I really need to take the time to explore these new options. There's certainly a LOT to each of them - conveniently added right to our list of options in our Texture room Shader channels. 

Those are very good... I'm still messing with them... reminds me I want to go back and grab even more of Eric's programs.

Fun tip: Even in my super-fast, low-quality render above, we can still see reflective surfaces behaving properly - nice shines and such, yet it's an empty, black scene. That's because I have a spherical map in the background, and then set the backdrop to color = black. This is a great way to save simple scene presets for testing shaders, building characters, etc., otherwise reflective shaders can end up turning black, or whatever is in their Color channel.

Correct me if I'm wrong... under Scene for Background you load a shperical texture map and not a shpere with a texture map on it. Cool idea... will have to try that.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited August 2016

w.i.p. same settings with a more natural daylight

normalized in post

lyon i.jpg
    1200 x 1362 - 184K
    Post edited by magaremoto on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

That is looking really good!

edited August 2016

thank you Philw, I really appreciated

final result at low res tested with a hdr map and a soft area light, a bit of color correction on ears only

Doc8.jpg
    1200 x 1362 - 167K
    Post edited by magaremoto on
    edited August 2016

I had a lot of fun last night tweaking the skin shader by using a color gradient controlled by a grayscale map - I think it was a spec map from the original V4.

I also did a lot more tweaking to the hair meshes and the shaders for hair and eyes.

It's a fun thing - tweaking shaders to look decent, while still turning out lightning fast renders! :)

Post edited by Chohole on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

awesome yes

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Love the Rosie with the Sword image!

Thanks guys!

Yeah, Carrara's reflection works really, really nice when combined with other tricks I've picked up on from your Realism Rendering course. I just love that course!!! Well, I love all of them. I still enjoy them much more often than one might think - sometimes to learn, sometimes just for fun ;)

The eyes might not seem that spectacular in a still like this, but where they really look great is in video, where we can see the iris shine (opposite the rest of the highlights) react to movements. All done with shaders and the shape of the iris mesh, so no special lighting 'tricks' needed - but it does require that we place lights properly. Jeremy Birn is also an excellent source for that! 

I've experimented for hours and hours with many skin options. It's funny how I like my lowered resolution Nanette the best! LOL But the added irregularities from the gradient controlled by a spec map from the original V4 texture folder really made a huge difference in adding some much needed realism to the mix. That, too, is quite low resolution. But here's the thing: my video will be 1280 x 720, so I don't really feel the need to go super high rez on this stuff. I'm not planning on doing a whole lot of close-ups, but the close-ups don't even look bad in video form... I like this look for her. She's getting more and more costumes now.

micro bump on another ten24 head scan

normalization in post

doc1.jpg
    3600 x 3472 - 834K
    doc4.jpg
    2393 x 2329 - 430K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Congratulations, Stezza, for winning the PC first-half August challenge for the old photo look.  Is it not posted here?  Maybe I didn't go back enough pages.

edited August 2016

Thanks diomede, no it isn't posted in this thread.. If I don't forget I'll do it tomorrow, I'm on the iPad now and to hard to do lol..

thanks again.... Waving the Carrara flag yes

edited to add image

The wifes distant relative is Ned Kelly, famous Australian Bushranger....

The Day When Ned Visited 

Created and rendered in Carrara 8.5 Pro

Used Genesis 2M and cowboy outfit. Old shack & Head Armour created in Carrara.
    Post in PSE14 - using Ron's brushes.

click for a bigga image

Post edited by Stezza on
  • Awesome Stezza, I like it (I seen that image before) smiley

Here is something I been working on for a couple of days now ...

Inspired by dojo from the "Matrix", everything but the characters modeled and textured by me (Silo and Substance Painter) and Rendered with Carrara 8.5 (HDRI was one of the skes I renderd in VUE previously).

3D characters are freebies from Mixamo (was having some FBX import problems, which were easily fixed with the help of Blender) ...

Post done in Fusion (a bit of DOF added there as well).

Cheers smiley

Dojo.jpg
    1720 x 830 - 720K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited August 2016
    Stezza said:

Thanks diomede, no it isn't posted in this thread.. If I don't forget I'll do it tomorrow, I'm on the iPad now and to hard to do lol..

thanks again.... Waving the Carrara flag yes

edited to add image

The wifes distant relative is Ned Kelly, famous Australian Bushranger....

The Day When Ned Visited 

Created and rendered in Carrara 8.5 Pro

Used Genesis 2M and cowboy outfit. Old shack & Head Armour created in Carrara.
    Post in PSE14 - using Ron's brushes.

click for a bigga image

terrific job Stezza, love the shed, nice job on the modelling. I have a few renders on my blog of Ned, its odd, because stats show that a search for Ned Kelly brings the highest visitor numbers. There ya go. The kangaroo and hens are a great touch. And I recognised Ron's  brushes ..... maybe I should leave the hous e more ;)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Awesome Stezza, I like it (I seen that image before) smiley

Here is something I been working on for a couple of days now ...

Inspired by dojo from the "Matrix", everything but the characters modeled and textured by me (Silo and Substance Painter) and Rendered with Carrara 8.5 (HDRI was one of the skes I renderd in VUE previously).

3D characters are freebies from Mixamo (was having some FBX import problems, which were easily fixed with the help of Blender) ...

Post done in Fusion (a bit of DOF added there as well).

Cheers smiley

that's a mean scene FifthElement, good sense of action about to happen

thanks for your comments  yes

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited August 2016

£534 grand in "poker chips" . . .

(WIP)

bullion.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 440K
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on