Carrara Challenge #56 - "Let There Be Light."

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Stezza said:

Alley Cat & friend

Used @vyusur Catoon which I pulled some polygons and used my Carrara hair for his whiskers & fur.. I modelled in Carrara the Bunny Hopper and boned him!, carrot, garbage bin and lantern along with Catoon's outfit and hat.

Used Darts starry night, a tube light then converted to an x Light!, a couple of bulb lights with only selected models chosen, the default light with selected models chosen, Carrara's moonlight and used The Last Stand 3DL found here at Daz3d store.

Rendered with no post work apart from signature. smiley 

What a nice picture! Lovely Bunny, beautiful outfit for Catoon!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Bunyip02 said:

Dragon at sunset

Lens flare this time around.

that's a beautiful render - perfect exposure

Vyusur said:

I also tried to use Mark Bremmer's method awhile ago. Now I rebuilt my scene with some tweaks.

Here is the result:

I used one distant light, one AG light, no GI, no postwork. Native engine. Soft shadows turned on.

that's one of the best atmopheric renders in Carrara I have every seen

edited January 2021

Stezza said:

Alley Cat & friend

Used @vyusur Catoon which I pulled some polygons and used my Carrara hair for his whiskers & fur.. I modelled in Carrara the Bunny Hopper and boned him!, carrot, garbage bin and lantern along with Catoon's outfit and hat.

Used Darts starry night, a tube light then converted to an x Light!, a couple of bulb lights with only selected models chosen, the default light with selected models chosen, Carrara's moonlight and used The Last Stand 3DL found here at Daz3d store.

Rendered with no post work apart from signature. smiley 

that's classic, Stezza, and classic Stezza :) did you check whether that light set was gkdantas?

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited January 2021

Finally got a chance to fire up carrara

Guess what I found in the premade scenes in Carrara ?? under special effects in Scenes?

Interesting the use of a gradient as a Gel - also the other tick boxes including turbulence gives a nice sense of depth and atmosphere

Logo.jpg
    1724 x 1367 - 756K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,021
    edited January 2021

Great job, everyone.  

I am still frustrated trying to get the light stream effect following the Mark Bremmer tutorial.

I created the transparency box as per the tutotial.  I made a wall with a window.  I placed a box on a floor plane.  I placed lights outside the wall and pointed through the window.  I placed my camera outside the transparency box.  I render settings, I have indirect light and light through transparency checked.

- Very strange result.  Window shaped light artifacts follow the light direction.

ee02 only light is from outside window.jpg
    800 x 450 - 10K
    ee03 setup.jpg
    1766 x 995 - 147K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,523
    edited January 2021

Diomede, was getting the same results as you with your scene, Vyusur mentioned Soft Shadows in her set up, which I had not explored, when I did I got a nicer result, recommend you try it with your scenes !

Without soft shadows

With Soft shadows

Soft shadows again

Diomede Help Box 1.png
    2280 x 1031 - 620K
    Diomede Help SoftShadows 1.png
    2280 x 1042 - 757K
    Diomede Help SoftShadows 2.png
    2274 x 1039 - 837K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
    edited January 2021

MY ENTRY
    “THEY SAID THEY WOULDN’T”

LIGHTS USED.
    Carrara Scene rendered in Octane Render. Main Lights - Ambient light (pathtracing render kernel), plus one light bulb in the center of the room. (The bed is in an alcove). There is a glow light around the spy bot, a tight emitter on the sides (not a lot of bleed), and a stronger emitter shining from the front of the bot. The volumetrics is a semi transparent light cone which came with the Godray model. No Post work.

FEATURES.
    The idea came from using a single light on the crumpled up bedding, which looked great to me. Originally the old guy was just relaxing on his bed, arms behind the head, but overnight I decided on drama!

STORY LINE.
    In the future, trust is a very rare commodity. “They said they wouldn’t” says it all - never trust the system. Mind control is most effective at night.

they said they wouldnt.jpg
    2400 x 1350 - 518K
    Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Freelight, your 2nd render looks like it will be very interesting. :)

Stezza, a convincing Da Vinci.  Wish it was bigger.  Great modeling - as always - on the Catoon render.yes

Bunyip, you started off with a bang!  Clever deer in headlights idea, and really nice viewscreen on the alien ship.  The rimlights definitely improved the dragon image.

Vyusur, you achieved an excellent mood with the lights, always glad you also like to use no postwork at times. :)

Sbi Fi Funk, welcome aboard!  The crumpled bed was a great inspiration.  Most of my renders are not planned.  They evolve like yours did.  Nice first entry, thanks for joining in.

Diomede, sorry I have been too busy with my own issues to help with yours.  Hopefully, I can try it in a day or two.

@UnifiedBrain - thanks. More to come. 

Headwax said:

Vyusur said:

I also tried to use Mark Bremmer's method awhile ago. Now I rebuilt my scene with some tweaks.

Here is the result:

I used one distant light, one AG light, no GI, no postwork. Native engine. Soft shadows turned on.

that's one of the best atmopheric renders in Carrara I have every seen

Oh my! Thank you ever so much!

UnifiedBrain said:

Vyusur, you achieved an excellent mood with the lights, always glad you also like to use no postwork at times. :)

Thank you for your kind words.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited January 2021

Diomede, I played with your scene for an hour.  Didn't have any luck getting the HDRI to make a light cone.

However, the spot light had better results, mostly through a lot of trial and error.

I changed the light position so that it was more pointing into the window.  In the position it was in, I was surprised that you got any light at all.  Also dropped it to 47%, but this might vary depending on position.

I changed the window size on the wall to a doorway.

In the Box Environment, I changed the Absorption color to black.  Now you should be able to see your HDRI.

Also in the Box Environment, I changed the In-Scattering quality at the bottom to "Good."

Don't think I did much else.  There is still some banding on the ball, which likely could be fixed with more tweaking.

For sure, it is a worthwhile technique (using a spotlight) to add to the Carrara toolbox.  Maybe someone else will get the HDRI cone to work.

Here is the same render as above, using the same spot, but without using the Box Environment.  It really makes a difference.

Diomede light experiment.JPG
    1352 x 894 - 65K
    Diomede light experiment_no box.JPG
    1352 x 898 - 58K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited January 2021

@Bunyip02 and @UnifiedBrain - thank you for taking the time to investigate my problems and for the reports.  Following your suggestions, I am getting improved results.  Still some artifacts, but much, much improved.

Here is an example.  Simple scene with transparency box as per Mark Bremmer, a single spotlight with soft shadows, and adjsuted absorption.

wip improved.jpg
    800 x 600 - 20K
    wip scene setup.jpg
    1724 x 934 - 161K
    wip box settings.jpg
    1439 x 791 - 191K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited January 2021

I played around as well... what I did was delete the environment wall facing the camera... sized it to fit inside the room and played around with the lighting...

carraralights.JPG
    919 x 688 - 86K
    carraralights2.JPG
    1376 x 766 - 90K
    carraralights3.JPG
    246 x 562 - 33K
    carraralights4.JPG
    1225 x 698 - 100K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • This MB box atmosphere seems like fun... [FIRST EXPERIMENT]

SCENE

NO BOX

MB BOX

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

Diomede said:

@Bunyip02 and @UnifiedBrain - thank you for taking the time to investigate my problems and for the reports.  Following your suggestions, I am getting improved results.  Still some artifacts, but much, much improved.

Here is an example.  Simple scene with transparency box as per Mark Bremmer, a single spotlight with soft shadows, and adjsuted absorption.

Here's my simple, down and dirty method:

• MB Box [SECOND EXPERIMENT]

Changed scene to make it more interesting, perhaps(?)

Softened the Directional Light shadows

Added MB Box (click for the bigger picture)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

Love the changes! Looks fantastic!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited January 2021

for crepuscular rays one can use fog too

I used the DCG plugin one for this

video not an entry, an old example 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Sci Fi Funk on Youtube said:

MY ENTRY
    “THEY SAID THEY WOULDN’T”

LIGHTS USED.
    Carrara Scene rendered in Octane Render. Main Lights - Ambient light (pathtracing render kernel), plus one light bulb in the center of the room. (The bed is in an alcove). There is a glow light around the spy bot, a tight emitter on the sides (not a lot of bleed), and a stronger emitter shining from the front of the bot. The volumetrics is a semi transparent light cone which came with the Godray model. No Post work.

FEATURES.
    The idea came from using a single light on the crumpled up bedding, which looked great to me. Originally the old guy was just relaxing on his bed, arms behind the head, but overnight I decided on drama!

STORY LINE.
    In the future, trust is a very rare commodity. “They said they wouldn’t” says it all - never trust the system. Mind control is most effective at night.

Cool, stuff of nightmares !!!!

Diomede said:

Glad to see you making progress !!

FENgari said:

MB Box [SECOND EXPERIMENT]

Changed scene to make it more interesting, perhaps(?)

Softened the Directional Light shadows

Added MB Box (click for the bigger picture)

Awesome !!!

edited January 2021

Thank you again, everyone, for tips and demonstrations of the Mark Bremmer box.

Here is a work in progress for a classic scene.  Spotlight outside window pointing in.  Sphere turned into glowing light (fill light) inside box).  I had tried to put in a rim light and checking the box to limit the light to the figure but it lit up the entire transparency box anyway.  Ended up deleting the rim light.

Will see if I can do anything useful adjusting the scene, including but not limited to the camera angle, furniture and props, shaders of the wall and floor (maybe a floor rug), expressions, finding a way to enhance the cross, etc.

Vampire Test Render 01.jpg
    800 x 500 - 27K

Wendy, sending more positive Karma your way.  Hope all is well.

Fengari - wow, love the lighting and shapes in your render.  

Dart - thanks for your video.  Will be reviewing again before I make more adjustments to my scene.  

@bunyip02 - re: stuff of nightmares - Indeed! re: MB Box 2nd experiement. You certainly breathed new life into that scene, I like version 2 the best with the softened directional light shadows. 

UnifiedBrain said:

Freelight, your 2nd render looks like it will be very interesting. :)

Stezza, a convincing Da Vinci.  Wish it was bigger.  Great modeling - as always - on the Catoon render.yes

Bunyip, you started off with a bang!  Clever deer in headlights idea, and really nice viewscreen on the alien ship.  The rimlights definitely improved the dragon image.

Sbi Fi Funk, welcome aboard!  The crumpled bed was a great inspiration.  Most of my renders are not planned.  They evolve like yours did.  Nice first entry, thanks for joining in.

Diomede, sorry I have been too busy with my own issues to help with yours.  Hopefully, I can try it in a day or two.

Thanks, looking forward to your entry/entries !!!!

Sci Fi Funk on Youtube said:

@bunyip02 - re: stuff of nightmares - Indeed! re: MB Box 2nd experiement. You certainly breathed new life into that scene, I like version 2 the best with the softened directional light shadows. 

Thanks, but it was Vyusur's comment on Soft Shadows that got me exploring !

Diomede said:

Thank you again, everyone, for tips and demonstrations of the Mark Bremmer box.

Here is a work in progress for a classic scene.  Spotlight outside window pointing in.  Sphere turned into glowing light (fill light) inside box).  I had tried to put in a rim light and checking the box to limit the light to the figure but it lit up the entire transparency box anyway.  Ended up deleting the rim light.

Will see if I can do anything useful adjusting the scene, including but not limited to the camera angle, furniture and props, shaders of the wall and floor (maybe a floor rug), expressions, finding a way to enhance the cross, etc.

Looking great, how would some gold coloured glow for the cruxifix work ?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

used a native light set. 
    Wacky Mascara. total cutie
    prop from the kelly lodge.

Title Rock Star

56 wip.JPG
    1204 x 530 - 103K
    56.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 139K
    56-1.jpg
    1500 x 804 - 65K