Michael 8.1

Comments

• PennamePenname Posts: 343

I was expecting more realism; his close-up face ... I have M4 that look more realistic imo. Agree he looks like he's been airbrushed. 

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    edited January 2021

Cora Regina said:

Edit: That skin looks a lot better out of the promos, plasma_ring! I'm just really disappointed to hear that it has the head stubble. I've passed over otherwise beautiful characters due to baked in stubble because it can make using hair with the length, color, style, and hairline of my choosing impossible without breaking flow and editing things as best I can, across multiple maps.

I take it there's no "stubble gone" option like there sometimes is for eyebrows or other facial hair?

Unfortunately not, although at least it doesn't stand out very much. It's a really odd choice!

vwrangler said:

You've made him look pretty good. Oddly enough, he looks kind of like the midpoint between Michael 7 and Michael 8. Or maybe between Michael 6 and 8. (Actually, I wonder if maybe he uses the texture resource they used for Michael 6. In that lighting, he looks a LOT like Nevio.)

Oh now that you mention it, he really resembles Michael 6 to me. There's something about his facial sculpt that seems less realistic than Victoria's, kind of a Disney prince look going on.

I'm a big fan of Trance, though. 

Trance.png
    1532 x 1241 - 1021K
    Post edited by plasma_ring on
  • LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985

gerster said:

he's really expensive + a bad deal (e.g. no free daz originals)

Don't forget to add your FREE Jessmay HD or SASE Brenna character with the Michael 8.1 Varsity Bundle purchase. 

• NathNath Posts: 2,719

Lindsey said:

gerster said:

Don't forget to add your FREE Jessmay HD or SASE Brenna character with the Michael 8.1 Varsity Bundle purchase. 

Which is only a boon if you're interested in more female characters.

• AsariAsari Posts: 703
    edited January 2021
    Thx DAZ that we don't have to wait 3 months for the Male release.

I'm about disappointed though that the M8.1 HD addon has less details than the Victoria one. Victoria's HD addon was top notch and her skin details amazing. Michael's HD addon in comparison looks kinda bland and blurry. Even the lip details are not crisp, but look blurry, as if sculpting details have been lost midway.

Post edited by Asari on
  • Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

Lindsey said:

gerster said:

thank you, didn't recognized that. but it's still a bad deal sad

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    edited January 2021
    Asari said:
    Thx DAZ that we don't have to wait 3 months for the Male release.

I'm about disappointed though that the M8.1 HD addon has less details than the Victoria one. Victoria's HD addon was top notch and her skin details amazing. Michael's HD addon in comparison looks kinda bland and blurry. Even the lip details are not crisp, but look blurry, as if sculpting details have been lost midway.

I think it looks fine. Sure it does not look as "HD" as V8.1 HD, but V8.1 HD was kinda over-the-top for me... her skin looks more like used leather. Sometimes the normal maps that come with the character alone already add enough details
    Post edited by CHWT on
    gerster said:

Lindsey said:

gerster said:

thank you, didn't recognized that. but it's still a bad deal sad

And using female stuff to lure you into buying a male character is kinda... weird. I like him though.
  • mnpalamnpala Posts: 56
    edited January 2021

There's no purple banner like there was with Victoria 8.1

Is there one coming?

Otherwise its an expensive bundle.

Post edited by mnpala on

mnpala said:

Is there one coming?

I don't think that there will be a purple banner. The banner for Victoria was only for an old item that you owned.

I'm disappointed that there's ni banner for owning lot if g8 bundles or Michael pre generations

gerster said:

mnpala said:

Is there one coming?

I don't think that there will be a purple banner. The banner for Victoria was only for an old item that you owned.

I'm disappointed that there's ni banner for owning lot if g8 bundles or Michael pre generations

+1
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,051

gerster said:

There wasn't any for Victoria, so I wouldn't expect one for Michael.

• mnpalamnpala Posts: 56

There needs to be a purple banner of some kind or otherwise it isn't helping the Genesis Male cause.

Genesis 8 Male suffers from not getting the same level of products as Genesis 8 female and this isn't exactly helping things. Also, given two of the add-ons are female products, I thought there would be a purple banner of some kind.

Leana said:

gerster said:

I was also disappointed that there wasn't such a banner for Victoria 8.1 cheeky

but the Victoria 8.1 bundle was $32.83 while Michael 8.1 is $57.71 in my card. surprise

• Wicked WhompWicked Whomp Posts: 214
    edited January 2021

So if we buy the Michael 8.1 bundle we get a free character for the female base? How the hell is that an incentive to buy Michael 8.1?

Post edited by Wicked Whomp on
  • plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    edited January 2021

Wait a sec, I sense a fantasy romance pitch here. 

Wicked Whomp said:

So if we buy the Michael 8.1 bundle we get a free character for the female base? How the hell is that an incentive to buy Michael 8.1?

I'd understand kinda if the female characters on offer were 8.1. I'm not sure why there haven't been more addons for her yet, and I'm surprised to see a male one (not that I'm complaining about that). 

welp.png
    1200 x 972 - 1M
    Post edited by plasma_ring on
    gerster said:

Leana said:

gerster said:

but the Victoria 8.1 bundle was $32.83 while Michael 8.1 is $57.71 in my card. surprise

It's $75 in my cart... how did you get that extra discount?
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,335

AllenArt said:

This might be the very first Michael I pass on (and I've got em all up to now). He looks like a store mannequin. Christian has more detail than this guy does. His face looks ever-so-slightly-cartoonish almost, tho it might be the lack of features that is tricking my brain. Young notwithstanding, this guy doesn't even have a pimple or an acne scar. Meh.

Laurie

I agree again. As with Victoria 8.1, I hardly see anything 'breathtaking' about this figure. For me as a European, Michael 8.1 looks like the 1950's stereotype of a white US-American. But this of course says nothing about the technical improvements, which may be great.

Ooooh yes please
  • Wicked WhompWicked Whomp Posts: 214
    edited January 2021

plasma_ring said:

Wicked Whomp said:

So if we buy the Michael 8.1 bundle we get a free character for the female base? How the hell is that an incentive to buy Michael 8.1?

I'd understand kinda if the female characters on offer were 8.1. I'm not sure why there haven't been more addons for her yet, and I'm surprised to see a male one (not that I'm complaining about that). 

It's even more confusing that the 2 female characters are listed as Michael 8.1 Add-ons. Who even put this sale together? Out of all the product options they could have come up with, items that can't be used with the promoted character? I'm genuinely mind boggled!

Post edited by Wicked Whomp on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,051

gerster said:

Leana said:

gerster said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I would have loved to get an extra discount ;)

I just doubt we'll get one.

CHWT said:

gerster said:

Leana said:

gerster said:

You have to add 3 addons the get some additional discounts. See my screenshot on the page before.

• plasma_ring said:

I like the cut of your jib :D 

gerster said:

CHWT said:

gerster said:

Leana said:

gerster said:

You have to add 3 addons the get some additional discounts. See my screenshot on the page before.

Well, then I will pass it now. Not justified! And I agree M8.1 looks a little bit like M6, that's why I like him as I like M6
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

I like that he has arrived, though I wish he could have waited a little for my paycheck to arrive lol On the other hand, I can see what people do with him before getting him myself :)

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

For me, a big part of the incentive to get 8.1 characters is the new skin. As the old morphs work for G8.1, only very good skin settings that take advantage of the new features in 8.1 would be something to make me want a character. I don't think that is what Michael 8.1 is. His skin looks worse than a lot of older G8 characters. I think the same can be said about Trance. I like both morphs but I think the skin is underwhelming on both of them for G8.1 chars.

One thing I would like to say though is that a lot of people were asking for a young male character in the G8 generation. Mike kind of looks like that, so I think for them it should be fine.

• Wicked Whomp said:

So if we buy the Michael 8.1 bundle we get a free character for the female base? How the hell is that an incentive to buy Michael 8.1?

Trying to think like DAZ marketing is hard laugh. As the bundle has a strong basketball focus, those two add-on girls may stage as cheerleaders?  SASE Brenna is promoted with a cheerleader outfit, so that might have been the overall idea.

So, you buy the bundle and get a free cheerleader. If these two extra characters would have been G8.1, it would have been a better fit, though.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201

This is either the worst skin or the worst promo renders I have seen in a while for a character. I do hope it's the latter. The plastic look of the skin also doesn't help with the body hair :/

For me, a big part of the incentive to get 8.1 characters is the new skin. As the old morphs work for G8.1, only very good skin settings that take advantage of the new features in 8.1 would be something to make me want a character. I don't think that is what Michael 8.1 is. His skin looks worse than a lot of older G8 characters. I think the same can be said about Trance. I like both morphs but I think the skin is underwhelming on both of them for G8.1 chars.

One thing I would like to say though is that a lot of people were asking for a young male character in the G8 generation. Mike kind of looks like that, so I think for them it should be fine.

We had Lucas, but he looks a bit like a kid having a hangover. Yes to a beaming young guy with muscles!
  • Well, I made the "mistake" to go for the bundle. Be warned, the "dForce Basketball Uniform Outfit for Genesis 8.1 Males" did make a quick tour through DAZ, totally avoiding quality control. It tries to load the textures from a completely incorrect place, even labled with !!testing.

The first renders do not look too bad, although I agree that the skin looks a bit too "polished". I am trying to use the "Skin Detail Resource 1" shader to add a bit more skin detail.