New Daz 3D Gallery Launches!

Comments

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,818

kyoto kid said:

...yay the thumbnail crop works. Thank you. 

Also like the way the Category and Tags work. much cleaner.

Wishlist:

• Would be nice if we could insert a pre-made list for products used (really helpful for large scenes)
    • Stll would like to be able to rearrange the order of works within an album 

Those suggestions have been passed on heart 

JB007 said:

Good to have the galleries back but there needs to be more visibility for new images ..

So first off, make "Newest" the default landing page .. we've already got the trending / popular bar at the top .. at least give new images a chance to be seen

Secondly, put more images on one page ... again, for the same reasons. Get the timing wrong when your image gets uploaded it can quickly move off page 1 into "where nobody bothers to look" territory .. 

Thirdly, have a "follow artist" option and a page that shows all the renders of those who you follow so you get to see their new releases .. 

Visibility depends so much on timing on these types of galleries .. get it wrong and a very good image can end up on New Page 6 with nobody getting to see it .. I don't want to turn it into a "us and them" thing .. but if you don't hit peak US time when you publish an image the chance of an image getting see drops .. so for anybody Non-US who posts can see their images disappear quickly before they get the chance to get a little love .. 

It's been suggested (Well rather it was suggested that maybe the gallery could have something similar to the store where maybe you could choose based on your preferences (since people seem to disagree on which they prefer to see first between newest, trending, and popular)

While they consider, so far as I can tell, people are going to newest and liking and commenting though but we are keeping an eye on it. 

barbult said:

I can't find any of Zev0's Shape Gen products in the Daz product selection list when adding an image to the gallery. sad

I'll take a look at that. 

JB007 said:

Secondly, put more images on one page ... again, for the same reasons. Get the timing wrong when your image gets uploaded it can quickly move off page 1 into "where nobody bothers to look" territory .. 

Thirdly, have a "follow artist" option and a page that shows all the renders of those who you follow so you get to see their new releases .. 

Visibility depends so much on timing on these types of galleries .. get it wrong and a very good image can end up on New Page 6 with nobody getting to see it .. I don't want to turn it into a "us and them" thing .. but if you don't hit peak US time when you publish an image the chance of an image getting see drops .. so for anybody Non-US who posts can see their images disappear quickly before they get the chance to get a little love .. 

2 was suggested previously and sent in. Though with different screen resolutions and sizes, I am unsure what they will choose. 
    3 I sent in the suggestion. heart
    4 We are watching to see. We generally have pretty good site interaction around the clock because we do have many international customers. Also, it is far easier now to browse a lot of images quickly (See the second post on page 1 of this thread). I know I went through and viewed so many hundred fairly quickly. As more realize the different viewing options I think it will improve but we are watching it.

Daventaki said:

I don't know if this issue has been reported yet but for some reason sometimes it tries to upload the image twice.  I was able to catch a screen shot this time.

This is a series of images I was uploading and it did it on both the first and the second image when I uploaded.  The one shown is the second image upload. Ive had it do it on single image uploads also.

What browser and version are you using?

To everyone else, are others experiencing this as well?  

glaseye said:

It appears that when you upload an image to the gallery, it instantly gets a 'like'. Is this intentional? Seems a bit odd to me....

Yes it is intentional. There is a video in the second post of this thread on Page 1 of this thread that goes over it a bit. heart 

• TobiasTobias Posts: 106

Couple of things.

1) When I go to my gallery the Newest folder is selected - OK, that is what I prefer.  However, the images in the grid are from the Popular folder.  clicking on the Newest folder (the one selected) doesn't do anything. If I click on one of the images it opens it up fine.  If I then click go back, now the images in the grid are all from the Newest folder.  I usually use the latest Chrome.  Tried Edge and it is the same thing.  Haven't heard anyone else mention this so it may just be me.

2) Since I haven't seen anyone else mention it maybe i'm just being picky, but why does the sizing go to first height when clicking the image in the information screen and then go to 1920 width if I click again?  Why doesn't it go to the actual uploaded size?  for instance, I have an image set to 1200x1200 pixels.  When I click the thumbnail it opens up to the information screen. If I click the image it then goes to a 1080x1080 size. If I click it again it goes to 1920x1920.  Why doesn't it go to the uploaded size of 1200x1200?.  I know I can get to the 1200x1200 image by right clicking the image on the information page and opening in a new tab so there is a workaround.  I just don't understand why it is using the screen resolution size instead of the actual image size.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591

DAZ_ann0314 said:

kyoto kid said:

...yay the thumbnail crop works. Thank you. 

Also like the way the Category and Tags work. much cleaner.

Wishlist:

• Would be nice if we could insert a pre-made list for products used (really helpful for large scenes)
    • Stll would like to be able to rearrange the order of works within an album 

Those suggestions have been passed on heart 

...thank you. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,195

Tobias said:

Couple of things.

1) When I go to my gallery the Newest folder is selected - OK, that is what I prefer.  However, the images in the grid are from the Popular folder.  clicking on the Newest folder (the one selected) doesn't do anything. If I click on one of the images it opens it up fine.  If I then click go back, now the images in the grid are all from the Newest folder.  I usually use the latest Chrome.  Tried Edge and it is the same thing.  Haven't heard anyone else mention this so it may just be me.

2) Since I haven't seen anyone else mention it maybe i'm just being picky, but why does the sizing go to first height when clicking the image in the information screen and then go to 1920 width if I click again?  Why doesn't it go to the actual uploaded size?  for instance, I have an image set to 1200x1200 pixels.  When I click the thumbnail it opens up to the information screen. If I click the image it then goes to a 1080x1080 size. If I click it again it goes to 1920x1920.  Why doesn't it go to the uploaded size of 1200x1200?.  I know I can get to the 1200x1200 image by right clicking the image on the information page and opening in a new tab so there is a workaround.  I just don't understand why it is using the screen resolution size instead of the actual image size.

1) Confirmed. I noticed this yesterday and it was confusing and frustrating. You described the problem perfectly. I hope it can be fixed. 

2) I don't know how to tell what the pixel dimensions of the displayed image are. How did you figure that out?

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

I think it has already been suggested, but I admit I hope they will give us the choice of Right-Click and open in new tab as we could in the old gallery, makes it so much easier when browsing and wanting to look closer to a image but wanting to browse first and than go to images to look closer and comment/like etc. I don't really like having to stop the browsing, click an image, look at it and than have to click the back button to get back to the gallery I was in when I was browsing.

barbult said:

2) I don't know how to tell what the pixel dimensions of the displayed image are. How did you figure that out?

When you click on a thumbnail and open the information page, you can right click on the image there and open in a new tab.

The new tab is named 'main' followed by the original uploaded dimensions. - The image there fits the vertical size of the page.  When you click again with magnifiying glass it opens the image to the actual dimensions.

Sort of like the old gallery did. 

edited February 2021

Tobias said:

Couple of things.

1. I'll take a look at it heart

2. It is done that way to conform to mobile phones and tablets. If you want to see the actual dimensions you would have to do so the way you outlined. It was mentioned that perhaps it would be better to go to "the artists dimensions" on the second click but that does cause some issues for those viewing the galleries that aren't on a computer. It was suggested though.  

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
    edited February 2021

Tobias said:

OK looked. That is strange. I clicked it once and got what you were saying. Clicked the new folder again and it seemed to sort them by newest then. Hmm LOL I'm gonna have to poke at this a bit I think ROFL. 

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,427

Ok, I really like the newest changes.  It's much easier to put in tags and products now with the new formatting, and I don't seem to be forced to wait to make posts.  Thank you so much, ya'll are doing a great job!

Also, I feel like I should make a confession:  I'm just uploading the rest of my images at once.  I know, I know, I said there should be a limit of 5 per day, but I realized that tomorrow I need to upload some new ones for contests, and if I don't my images will be all out of order here compared with everywhere else.  I'm OCD, and can't deal with that, LOL!  At least I'm not doing it in the "Prime Time".

So my apologies for the spam, and to those of you doing the same thing: I feel you!

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204

The issue I run into, is that it automaticly makes me "Like" my own image. I have 1 Heart on my image within 1 second of me posting it. I says to myself, Wow, already? I look and its from... me... LOL! I'm like, uuuh... ok...

AngelWings said:

The issue I run into, is that it automaticly makes me "Like" my own image. I have 1 Heart on my image within 1 second of me posting it. I says to myself, Wow, already? I look and its from... me... LOL! I'm like, uuuh... ok...

I guess they figure that you wouldn't have uploaded it if you didn't like it. wink 

DAZ_ann0314 said:

Tobias said:

Couple of things.

2. It is done that way to conform to mobile phones and tablets. If you want to see the actual dimensions you would have to do so the way you outlined. It was mentioned that perhaps it would be better to go to "the artists dimensions" on the second click but that does cause some issues for those viewing the galleries that aren't on a computer. It was suggested though.  

Thank you for the explanation. 

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305

AngelWings said:

It's intentional.....

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6507446/#Comment_6507446

• no noseno nose Posts: 300

I noticed that I stopped getting mail notifications whenever someone comments, is there a way to re-enable that?

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

Don't think anyone get notifications, it's one of the thing I believe have been suggested by several people (myself included) and I think Ann has brought it up with the team, though I'm not sure :)

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited February 2021

I want to +1 for the "go to artist dimensions" idea. I like to jump to pixel level detail easily, and generally want people viewing my own images to be able to easily do so.

eta: can the first click not just go to height *or* width, whichever is better for the image? I tend to like the typical behavior of 1st click - full screen, 2nd click - 100% zoom.

eta2: testing on my iphone, it doesn't seem like I can open in a new tab to see an image max size on mobile. I can just do height and width, with it kinda pinned with the upper boundary at the top of the screen, which sometimes looks odd depending on aspect ratio. Certain shapes are not so easy to get a good sense of detail zoom, tilting phone around trying to decide what will let me get closest. I guess what I'm saying is, thank you, please continue to work on this experience :)

Post edited by Storypilot on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,760

I know it has been indicated before, but I really support a search function for the galleries (that look great, by the way).

Also, could there be a 'landscape' category, please?

How do you find a particular person's gallery page?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

barbult said:

How do you find a particular person's gallery page?

It would be nice if galleries were linked to forum profiles.  I linked mine in my sig.  If someone's giving advice I think it's nice to be able to see examples of their work.

Anyway, I posted an image to the new gallery for the first time today.

The black background is nice.  I also like the improved item look-up when adding assets used a lot.  Now that there are the nice thumbnails for products used, we can't list products from other stores along with them the way we could before, so that means we need to mention them in the description, next to the image if we mention them at all.  I guess there's no way around that, but it means that people see mentions of stuff from elsewhere before the stuff from Daz.  It's the same at Rendo's gallery, so whatever, I guess.

edited February 2021

Odd... one of the image that I did mark as 'like', and that is showing in my 'glaseye Likes' selection, is now showing as having 0 (zero) likes; it should have at least 2 likes as a count (the automatic one and mine). I guess there are some unexpected hiccups, Either that or we all have to go on a gremlin hunt  cheeky

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/6238234673676288#gallery=album8834583&page=1&image=1122431

Post edited by glaseye on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

glaseye said:

Odd... one of the image that I did mark as 'like', and that is showing in my 'glaseye Likes' selection, is now showing as having 0 (zero) likes; it should have at least 2 likes as a count (the automatic one and mine). I guess there are some unexpected hiccups, Either that or we all have to go on a gremlin hunt  cheeky

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/6238234673676288#gallery=album8834583&page=1&image=1122431

Try refreshing the page.  It went from zero to 6 after I did that.  Cute picture! 

Sevrin said:

glaseye said:

Try refreshing the page.  It went from zero to 6 after I did that.  Cute picture! 

Must have been gremlins... wink I had already tried refreshing, and logging out & in with no result, but now it is showing 7 wink

no nose said:

I noticed that I stopped getting mail notifications whenever someone comments, is there a way to re-enable that?

It's been reported. heart  

Hansmar said:

I know it has been indicated before, but I really support a search function for the galleries (that look great, by the way).

Also, could there be a 'landscape' category, please?

Both have been suggested though IDK on an ETA. heart 

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

Carola O said:

I think it has already been suggested, but I admit I hope they will give us the choice of Right-Click and open in new tab as we could in the old gallery, makes it so much easier when browsing and wanting to look closer to a image but wanting to browse first and than go to images to look closer and comment/like etc. I don't really like having to stop the browsing, click an image, look at it and than have to click the back button to get back to the gallery I was in when I was browsing.

+1

yes, please...let us right-click to open images in a new tab.  it spoils the flow of browsing to have to click back and forth.  takes time and bandwidth to reload the index page over and over again, too...

but on the just plain thankful front--the galleries are back, and looking sleek!  and product-used links are live again!  that's so great...thanks, y'all.

:)

j