A Li'l Side Render Fun #2022 - Tuesday is Soylent Green Day edition

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
edited March 2021 in Carrara Discussion

Dystopian Science Fiction

I am offering a $10 Daz3D gift card for a first place and a second place Carrara rendered image (or Carrara plug in renderer).  Why?  Because "Tuesday is Soylent Green Day."  You don't have to incorporate Soylent Green.  You can imagine any dystopia you want, or refer to any other dystopia imagined by anyone else.

Here in Texas, we are saying that the pandemic year 2020 was hell, and 2021 was the year hell froze over.  Brrrr.  Well, a quick check of a scifi movie chart shows that next year, 2022, is the year that the movie Soylent Green was set in.  Have you seen Soylent Green?  It is a movie about people.  devil

Requirements - use Carrara in your workflow for an image displaying a dystopian future.  Post your image in the designated entry thread when the time comes.  You can use scene assets (props, figures, lights, shaders,...) from any source, not just Carrara. Postwork is fine, but please post the un-postworked render in the WIP thread.  Speaking of that, at least one work-in-progress post to this discussion thread is required.  The render must be new (started and finished during the time of the Lil Side Render Fun).  Have fun.

Dates - to be announced, but this WIP thread will be open at least through March 31st.  May 1st.

Dystopia defined on the internet
Definition of dystopia
1: an imagined world or society in which people lead wretched, dehumanized, fearful lives
Use in sentence, "There's almost a flavor of science fiction to the scenes Chilson describes, as though he were giving us a glimpse into a 21st-century dystopia of mad egoism and hurtling hulks of metal."
— Adam Goodheart
"Over the course of the movie, the late-60's ideal of togetherness turns into a dystopia of violence, revulsion and finally death."
— John Leland
2: ANTI-UTOPIA sense 2
writing a dystopia
Use in a sentence, "… leaping across the century to the 1990's to attempt a dystopia about the disintegration of Australian democracy into startling, irreversible despotism."
— Pearl K. Bell

scifi movie years.jpg
464 x 550 - 102K
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Soylent Green (2022) Official Trailer

Any Dystopia is Fine, not just Soylent Green

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

kewl laugh

actually feeling dystopian these days.

The Road Warrior Official Trailer

<iframe width="994" height="559" src=" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Morlocks from the 1960 version of Time Machine

1950s World Without End Official Trailer

1927 Metropolis Trailer

1975 Stepford Wives  

Wall E official trailer

A Boy and His Dog official trailer

and for UnifiedBrain, here is the official trailer for Robot Monster

Last Man on Earth  (Vincent Price version of I am Legend)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited February 2021

I am getting probed both ends next month,

going to the gastroenterology unit hopefully  tomorrow to get my paperwork.

I am sure there is a dystopian science fiction trope about that somewhere. devil

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

I feel a Mad Max scene coming on....

edited February 2021

Vrooooommmm.......

Flipped Render

WIP

Dystopia Mad Max 1 Tpz.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    Dystopia Mad Max 1 WIP1.png
    2282 x 1031 - 733K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am getting probed both ends next month, - going to the gastroenterology unit

Have a visual of wendy on a spit with pole through mouth coming out .... being carefully turned and prodded. devil

• Bunyip02 said:

Vrooooommmm.......

Love the burned out car look - but don't think I'd have a car with the exhaust coming straight out on the back tyre !

• After my own heart!!  My favortie genres for movies and books are dystopia, catastrophes, natural disasters, apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic, etc.  I think sitting here in my comfortable home and getting into a film or book about survival is fun!  I have no idea what that says about me.

I am here in Montgomery, Texas!!  It was horrible here last week :(  While the electricity was off I read one of my favorite books, Cyberstorm.

Anyway, Soylent Green was one of my favs!!  I am in my sixties, so I have quite a list of movies, series and books!!!

Persona Non Grata said:

Bunyip02 said:

Vrooooommmm.......

Love the burned out car look - but don't think I'd have a car with the exhaust coming straight out on the back tyre !

I will get his mechanic to check it out !!!

edited February 2021

Aliens have invaded Earth, all militaries have been defeated and all governments have been overthrown. It's now do as you are told or you are blaster fodder !

Post worked render - Topaz Simplify

Raw render

WIP

Dystopia Alien Attack 1 Tpz TpzSmplfy.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Dystopia Alien Attack 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Dystopia Alien Attack 1 WIP.png
    2280 x 1037 - 772K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

Bunyip02 said:

Persona Non Grata said:

Bunyip02 said:

Vrooooommmm.......

Hot Wheels! laugh 

Way to start us off, Bunyip - Mad Max and an alien.  Classic. The body of the Mad Max car has great grunge.

edited February 2021

Here is a WIP for me.  I need to break some windows and otherwise make things look broken and worn out.  Have some thoughts on a few other elements to try as well.  A lot of dystopia's presume a desert with no plants.  Decided to go in another direction.

dystopia water 01.jpg
    800 x 600 - 72K
  • Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
    edited February 2021

@Bunyip02 - Loving the car and the cracked road in front of it sets it off nicely.

@Diomede - Great idea! Now this is an example of a still crying out to be animated. (Animation still my first love). I don't know if you are into animation yourself, but this would be a breeze in Twinmotion. The water could come to life no problem. The car would float (but I'm currently not sure how you get it to float halfway up (unless you cut the model in half - it does lapping quite well) - Wendy may well have an opinion on this). Also the trees could be made to sway quite easily. Finally any hanging items on the porch or porches could rock back and forth with no fuss (using ping-pong rotators) . I'm there man - living it.

I'd like to make an entry. I watched Soylent Green as a kid in the 70s, and again as an adult on DVD. Quite a depressing film, but intriguing none the less. Those mass crowd scenes were striking as I recall. I'm currently unable to render with the main machine grinding to a halt under Windows 10, and a new one on order still a couple / 3 weeks away, but if the competition doesn't end before I'm back in action, I'll see if I can do a tribute to one of the scenes. 

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
    edited February 2021

Thanks, SciFiFunk, for the kind comments.  I agree that the scene could make a cool animaiton.  I should say that animations are welcome if people post a link so it can be viewed.  I briefly began experimenting with animations about when Alberto's Fluidos came out.  Nothing special, just a car race, silly custom creature running, that sort of thing.  But I got a 'spam solicitation' warning from Youtube when I did a Fluidos test.  Decided further animation tests wasn't worth the hassle to me.  Could restart at any time, though.  smiley

Here is an update.  I added a few details, but not enough debris or dirt.  I also added some depth of field, which I don't normally use.  Hope I chose the an appropriate amount.

water houses 03 depth of field try.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,296

Stezza said:

Bunyip02 said:

Persona Non Grata said:

Bunyip02 said:

Vrooooommmm.......

Hot Wheels! laugh 

Burning rubber... wink

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am getting probed both ends next month,

going to the gastroenterology unit hopefully  tomorrow to get my paperwork.

I am sure there is a dystopian science fiction trope about that somewhere. devil

Oh no.  I must have missed this.  Wishing you the very best.  I had to go to the emergency room about a week ago (thank goodness it was before the storm knocked out all the electricity and water!), but fortunately (or unfortunately) the tests did not identify any acute problems could be solved with a single procedure - just long term things that require overhauling my diet, exercise, sleep cycle, etc, etc, etc.

Jan_Scrapper said:

After my own heart!!  My favortie genres for movies and books are dystopia, catastrophes, natural disasters, apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic, etc.  I think sitting here in my comfortable home and getting into a film or book about survival is fun!  I have no idea what that says about me.

I am here in Montgomery, Texas!!  It was horrible here last week :(  While the electricity was off I read one of my favorite books, Cyberstorm.

Anyway, Soylent Green was one of my favs!!  I am in my sixties, so I have quite a list of movies, series and books!!!

Montgomery, Texas?  Near Lake Conroe?  I went to Texas A&M many, many years ago.  I hope folks are able to get everything from the storm sorted out quickly.  Bet it inspired some dystopian visions!  Worth a render or two.  The dinner scene in Soylent Green with Edward G Robinson and Charleston Heston is one of my favorites.  Salads tasted better for a month after I first saw it.

Jan_Scrapper said:

After my own heart!!  My favortie genres for movies and books are dystopia, catastrophes, natural disasters, apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic, etc.  I think sitting here in my comfortable home and getting into a film or book about survival is fun!  I have no idea what that says about me.

Montgomery, Texas?  Near Lake Conroe?  I went to Texas A&M many, many years ago.  I hope folks are able to get everything from the storm sorted out quickly.  Bet it inspired some dystopian visions!  Worth a render or two.  The dinner scene in Soylent Green with Edward G Robinson and Charleston Heston is one of my favorites.  Salads tasted better for a month after I first saw it.

Persona Non Grata said:

Bunyip02 said:

Vrooooommmm.......

Haha, it didn't register when Bunyip first posted it, but now I can't unsee it.  Maybe it was a tube to store dystopian supplies or weapons, not exhaust?