A Li'l Side Render Fun #2022 - Tuesday is Soylent Green Day edition

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,707

Sci Fi Funk said:

I've set up Carrara on my business machine which doesn't have a graphics card, but at least I can set up the scene. 

It's a kitbash fest, working from the net curtain model, and some textures that come with the Cozy Kitsch Living Room  I set up a new room. Note that the curtains angle to the right (this will be out of shot but I thought @Diomede would appreciate me going the extra mile). [EDIT - Just noticed it's more like a zig zag pattern, so I'll amend my model]

The shelving comes from a parkside set, which I've modified in shape and size and changed to a white shader.

So, can't render - as this machine is incapable of working with Octane,  I may render in Carrara if need be but I haven't done that since 2014 I think, so will avoid if possible. (Rusty!)

Note the final shot you will see is in the production frame, I just panned out to show the whole set as it develops.

WIP 1

Hope you get the scene rendered !!!

edited March 2021

In trouble....

WIP

Dystopia InTrouble 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Dystopia InTrouble 1 WIP.png
    2282 x 1039 - 1021K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198

Thanks @Bunyip02 - at least my mini-pc biz machine can render in native carrara, so I'll get something out.

Your "In trouble" scene is your best so far for this competition in my opinion, the position of the sun breaking through the ruins and the choice of time of day contrast well with a crisp foreground image.

edited March 2021

Title: WELL THAT MAKES US BOTH LIARS

WIP

I'm glad to say thanks to Carrara's CPU based renderer, I can (slowly) render with my mini-Pc. This was a 3 hour render. It's taken a while to remember about biased lighting rigs, but after getting nowhere for a while, the Luminance Lighting Pack came to my rescue. I've added some spot lights for the shevling area. 

This is a WIP so there are a number of things to fix. The biggest one is that the central character is not in the shot yet. Plus the DOF isn't how I want it, and there a few modeling mistakes to fix. Also I've chosen a daytime render, whereas the frame in the film is at night. The net curtains I'm using don't look so good at night, but with a clear day and some Dystopian buildings behind them they look more net cutainy if there is such a term.

Click to enlarge

Soylent Green WIP 5.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 948K
    Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on

Sci Fi Funk said:

Title: WELL THAT MAKES US BOTH LIARS

WIP

I'm glad to say thanks to Carrara's CPU based renderer, I can (slowly) render with my mini-Pc. This was a 3 hour render. It's taken a while to remember about biased lighting rigs, but after getting nowhere for a while, the Luminance Lighting Pack came to my rescue. I've added some spot lights for the shevling area. 

This is a WIP so there are a number of things to fix. The biggest one is that the central character is not in the shot yet. Plus the DOF isn't how I want it, and there a few modeling mistakes to fix. Also I've chosen a daytime render, whereas the frame in the film is at night. The net curtains I'm using don't look so good at night, but with a clear day and some Dystopian buildings behind them they look more net cutainy if there is such a term.

Click to enlarge

Nice scene, turned out well !!

edited March 2021

Stop ! Identify yourself !

WIP

Dytopia StopID 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Dytopia StopID 1 WIP.png
    2273 x 1035 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

@Bunyip02 Thanks, almost finished on that one, re: Stop ! Identify yourself ! - Good pose on the soldier. Like it. Also that's an interesting backdrop. Is it a DAZ set? I like the 1960s-70s style paneling to the right and I'm curious as to what the whole Plaza looks like. 

Sci Fi Funk said:

@Bunyip02 Thanks, almost finished on that one, re: Stop ! Identify yourself ! - Good pose on the soldier. Like it. Also that's an interesting backdrop. Is it a DAZ set? I like the 1960s-70s style paneling to the right and I'm curious as to what the whole Plaza looks like. 

Thanks.

City Office Block - https://www.daz3d.com/city-office-block

@Bunyip02 - Great thanks. Currently 72% off as well. :)

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am getting probed both ends next month,

going to the gastroenterology unit hopefully  tomorrow to get my paperwork.

I am sure there is a dystopian science fiction trope about that somewhere. devil

Sure there is...... do you have your papers, Miss? 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082

SciFiFunk - Curtains came out nicely.  Great WIP for the Soylent Green scene.  Thanks for the tip about the Luminance Lighting Pack.  I had forgotten that I own the product.  I need to revisit it.  Lighting is one of my weak points.  Can't wait to see the central character and finished scene.  

Bunyip - Great job on Stop! Identify yourself! I agree with SciFi Funk.  I'm also partial to the ruin in the background of In Trouble - someone is having a bad day.  

edited March 2021

@Diomede re: Luminance - if you have it I would start using it straight away - I usually use the Octane-plugin where you get decent base lighting without breaking a sweat.

In Carrara, that is not the case, so the luminance pack is essential. It's a collection of massive lighting rigs where lights are positioned all around (360 degree) and the scene is tempered according to the type of day you want.

I found that for indoor scenes (always the hardest to do in an unbiased render engine), setting it to an overcast, foggy or whatever but non-sunny day gets you off to a great start. What I did was put my secondary character alone in an empty room (2 walls only), in a scene and then load each lighting pack, taking a screenshot of the lighting for each. Now I have a reference point for any scene in the future - a quick feel for how it will look. Add a 3 point lighting rig over the top and you are in business!

Rendering the final scene now - the main character took some work I can tell you - it's going to take 6 hours to render on this mini-Pc - patience is a virtue etc etc.

edited March 2021

Thanks for the tips, SciFiFunk.  I will be checking it out.

If I seem scattered, that is because I am.  I have been living in a Texas hotel room for more than a month and enduring everything from the electricity outage during the cold snap, water interruptions, WiFi outages,....   Hmmm, I wonder if any of that inspired me to promote this dystopian Lil Side Challenge?

Anyway, I have some projects on my laptop and some on my desktop and any plan I form to use either one gets smacked by Murphy's Law.

I have an idea that will involve children in a dystopian future.  I plan to use Vyusur's Teena and Leon figures.  I have put the steps I use to convert to blended and create for these figures in my No One Asked Me thread.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6538421/#Comment_6538421

ee20 created hair for teena hair cap and saved.jpg
    1305 x 876 - 134K
    Post edited by Diomede on

@Diomede "children in a dystopian future" - sounds good, not a bad title either if you go with that.

For anyone casually reading this thread you should check out Diomedes link above  - it's a step by step tutorial. Thanks for doing that Diomede, I will be refering to it should I go down that route in the future.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,825

yes non-video tutorials rock yes

I just cannot parse a video tutorial no matter how good as well as I can text and images

edited March 2021

Title: WELL, THAT MAKES US *BOTH* LIARS!
    Artist: Sci Fi Funk
    Background:
    This is my take on a scene from Soylent Green. The line in the film “That makes us both liars” is spoken softly by a beautiful 21 year old girl (who was supposed to be 24, hence the lie).

I thought I could do a more hard edged version. Originally I thought substituting a pretty young woman for a Dystopian Drone Trooper model would be a funny interpretation of the line. I went to sleep giggling to myself. However when the figure actually went in (complete with long hair and lipstick), it didn’t quite make sense with the film, and I wondered if it would be funny or just plain weird. 

Instead then, it made more sense to show a female head, but I couldn’t get away from using a Drone Trooper, so I embarked upon my first ever two model mesh. I’ve seen others do it. It’s not easy. Especially when the final render never seems to match what the viewport is showing! Strange. 

Anyway I’d like explain the figure if you are interested. It’s a drone trooper in 3 similar carrara metal shaders which can be bought in the DAZ Store, but with the head pulled all the way back. Please see the second picture. The idea is that the Trooper is now a protector AND pleasure model (to fit in with the 1970s politically incorrect narrative). The female model pops up from within the trooper after the head pulls back. Note the Driod Exterior face has lipstick on it to suggest it's a female bot inside ;-).

So maybe I lost the funny scene I originally planned, but instead it’s full on weird/horror. To this end, I’ve left some planes of metal sticking out around the ears and head - suggesting the metal rubs against the skin substitute as the head pops out. Also a little substitute flesh pops out around the side of the breasts suggesting they in turn come out from inside the droid at the appropriate time. I tried putting more in but it looked too messy. The other reason bits of head and breast are untidy is I ran out of time. Ha ha.

Anyway, trying to fit two models together was a fun challenge, and it’s always very sci fi to do so. I’d like to try some more in the future.

Lighting was a Luminance rig (see Daz Store), of many lights arranged in 360 degrees around the scene. This means you don’t need global illumination and the indirect light (in the room corners) sorts it’s self out. I added up and down lighting around the shelving, and a 3 point light rig around the two characters (taking out the key light from the man, but allowing the back light to make a rim on his face). I only used 2 walls - this lets more of the 360 degree lighting into the scene. The lighting then draws your eye to the already striking female-bot.

Finally I used DOF focused on the girl, to make the male character take a back seat, and to put the rest of the room and skyscraper background away from the focal point.

click to view

click to view

Soylent Green FINAL.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 995K
    Soylent Green HELMET.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 509K

Diomede - dystopian children sounds interesting, looking forward to what you come up with.

Sci Fi Funk - your combination of the two characters into one works well !

@Bunyip02 - Thanks. :)

SciFiFunk - the detail you provided on your scene is much appreciated, both for the figure combination process and the adaptation of a luminance rig to your set.  I particulaly like how you used an expressive arm pose with the robotic appendage.  

Wendy, Bunyip, and SciFiFunk - thanks for the comments on the step-by-step for Vyusur figures in Carrara.  Hope it is a useful reference.  Let me know if something is confusing or if I forgot to document an important step.

Well, I am in a fun mood because I watched a low budget made-for-TV disaster movie last night.  I am going to set aside my volcano and children projects temporarily and see what dystopian concept I can bring to life from my content library in one or two sittings.  devil

@Diomede Dystopian concepts always intreague me. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

edited March 2021

A quick render from me.  I will see if I can clean it up with a little postwork (eg., strap on head has poke through).

Mask 01.png
    1600 x 1333 - 2M
    edited March 2021

@Diomede - Survival! Like the theme. Bythe way did you see that thread on HDR light Domes ? I've only just come across it. So that's a way of getting the reflections to look right off of clothing etc. I'm going to experiment with it as soon as time allows. An appropriate HDRI image (the thread shows lots of them available for free) might go well with this image as well. I would amend my own entry but at 5.5 hours to render it, that puts me off.

edited March 2021

Thanks for the comments, SciFiFunk.  The basic lighting for the gas mask scene is an HDR from Bob Callawah and Cake One

See  https://www.daz3d.com/ultrahd-iray-hdri-with-dof-abandoned-urban-ruins.

That enables the reflection channel of the metal shaders that I applied to parts of the gas mask.  Trade-offs.  I really wanted the ground from a particular HDR in the pack.  I think it is #6.  Unfortunately, I was getting the best ground/lighting results using #6 with an angle that showed water that I didn't want and a portion of the sky was all wrong.  I experimented with a couple ways to address.  I tried placing a building to block out the portion of the sky I didn't like, but that had other results I didn't like.  A few experiments later, I decided on the fallen tree and similar trees.

With the basic light coming from the HDR, I placed two additional lights that made sense to me.  I placed a yellow-ish bulb light with the fire.  I placed a rim light (spot) above and behind the M6 figure to try to separate him from the background.  Ironically, I placed the gas mask last.  It is a prop for Victoria 4, not a conforming figure for M6.  The top strap of the gas mask completely thwarts the rim light on M6's head.  sad

I really should have changed the shaders for M6's clothes and created a rim light for the mouse at the end of the stick.

I can still replace the remains of the sky and the tree props using the multipass renders I included with my base render.  For example, here is the depth pass.  

How about this?  

No Longer the Yellow Brick Road!

Mask 01_Depth.png
    1600 x 1333 - 257K
    No Longer Yellow Brick Road.jpg
    1600 x 1333 - 291K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited March 2021

is blade runner a dystopia movie?

basically any bleak and miserable future?

like a future when people ave to wear masks by law,
    arent allowed to get together and party

Post edited by Mistara on

is blade runner a dystopia movie?

Yes.  Most definitely.

basically any bleak and miserable future?

Yes.  Most definitely.

like a future when people ave to wear masks by law,
    arent allowed to get together and party

Footloose - Kevin Bacon - not allowed to dance  sad

Footloose 1984 A city teenager moves to a small town where rock music and dancing have been banned, and his rebellious spirit shakes up the populace. Director: Herbert Ross Writer: Dean Pitchford Stars: Kevin Bacon, Lori Singer, John Lithgow

@Diomede looking good! Looking real good. So you used an HDRI as well, very cool. I've added that HDRI set to my wishlist. The stones around the fire are lit well.

As a person looking at it without knowing your struggles I'd have no idea that the Gas mask is a V4 object being forced onto an M6 head. It works just fine.

Also the choice of backdrop makes the picture much more interesting than just trees. The title works well with the backdrop - a futuristic celestial city is how I interpret it. 

@Mystiarra - Yes it's been miserable this last year, but I'm hopeful we are coming out of it now. I live in the UK. At least we have 3d to keep us occupied. :)

Even Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Child Catcher

Oh So Bleak

Santa Claus is Coming to Town

- Sombertown - Burgermeister Meister Burger - no toys allowed

Oh, so bleak.  sad

One of many lists of Dystopian Movies.  This one from IMDB

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls021761817/

Sci Fi Funk said:

@Diomede looking good! Looking real good. So you used an HDRI as well, very cool. I've added that HDRI set to my wishlist. The stones around the fire are lit well.

As a person looking at it without knowing your struggles I'd have no idea that the Gas mask is a V4 object being forced onto an M6 head. It works just fine.

Also the choice of backdrop makes the picture much more interesting than just trees. The title works well with the backdrop - a futuristic celestial city is how I interpret it. 

@Mystiarra - Yes it's been miserable this last year, but I'm hopeful we are coming out of it now. I live in the UK. At least we have 3d to keep us occupied. :)

I nearly missed this while I spammed the thread with a variety of dystopian movies that might not at first be thought of as dystopian.  But I think most of consider lands where children or toys are outlawed as dystopian.  

Thanks very much for the constructive feedback, SciFiFunk.  You have given me several more ideas to explore.