New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 2021

Thanks everyone. 

Let me start by saying I am moving forward, had a difficult day today by putting my 17 year old cat to sleep. So I've lost my 15-16 year old dog and 17 year old cat within six days. Geico actually helped me make the decision to put Purina to sleep. Since I was already dealing with loss,  and I knew Purina was going downhill and not living life- rather was feeling miserable- it helped me take Purina to that place of no pain. 

Even before Geico died, I had started extensive walking again as I gained back weight. Walked 12 miles yesterday and am just slightly under 13 miles at the moment. The previous couple days before that were 8 miles, and before that 6 miles. So am shooting for around 8-12 miles a day. I need to prioritize exercise and not working on books, etc. It was 64 degrees and 72 degrees yesterday, so taking advantage of walking while I can outside. :)   Not a new Year's Resolution, I started back a couple weeks ago doing about 3-5 miles a day.

Post edited by Novica on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    edited December 2021

Novica said:

Thanks everyone. 

Let me start by saying I am moving forward, had a difficult day today by putting my 17 year old cat to sleep. So I've lost my 15-16 year old dog and 17 year old cat within six days. Geico actually helped me make the decision to put Purina to sleep. Since I was already dealing with loss,  and I knew Purina was going downhill and not living life- rather was feeling miserable- it helped me take Purina to that place of no pain. 

Even before Geico died, I had started extensive walking again as I gained back weight. Walked 12 miles yesterday and am just slightly under 13 miles at the moment. The previous couple days before that were 8 miles, and before that 6 miles. So am shooting for around 8-12 miles a day. I need to prioritize exercise and not working on books, etc. It was 64 degrees and 72 degrees yesterday, so taking advantage of walking while I can outside. :)   Not a new Year's Resolution, I started back a couple weeks ago doing about 3-5 miles a day.

Sorry about Purina!

Good luck as that is a lot of miles! I started walking again on 28 Nov but I stop somewhere between 6 miles and 7 miles and only walk Monday - Friday. I wear a weight (5 or 10 lbs I am not sure) on each ankle and a weight on each wrist (2.5 or 5 lbs not sure which) but it's very weird as before today I had a total of over 100 miles in those 18 days with no soreness but today I am so sore I can hardly walk. It's a good thing I finished my 6 - 7 miles, before I got so sore today. I've walked much colder days before today's 32 degrees too but now I've been freezing all day long today. I think it is because I got Moderna covid-19 shot at Kroger's yesterday at 3PM. It's made me freezing and sore while the 2 shots I got from Moderna last Spring didn't bother me a bit.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

@nonesuch00   Well wlhat you're doing is a lot more strenuous than what I am doing, if you have weights. I do 3lb barbells when I am using the glider, but that is off and on, more OFF. :)   When you say the Moderna shot, sounds like the booster? I have to get mine but not doing it until after Christmas. I thought it was half the dose of the original? I could be wrong. Sorry it is making you uncomfortable.

I'm headed to bed, trying to get on a regular schedule for Christmas Day. (Bed around midnight, that's perfect.)  So chat later, happy shopping! 

Novica said:

@nonesuch00   Well wlhat you're doing is a lot more strenuous than what I am doing, if you have weights. I do 3lb barbells when I am using the glider, but that is off and on, more OFF. :)   When you say the Moderna shot, sounds like the booster? I have to get mine but not doing it until after Christmas. I thought it was half the dose of the original? I could be wrong. Sorry it is making you uncomfortable.

I'm headed to bed, trying to get on a regular schedule for Christmas Day. (Bed around midnight, that's perfect.)  So chat later, happy shopping! 

It was a Moderna booster shot. I froze all day yesterday because of it and it made my muscles so sore like after you run an 800 metre track event as fast as you can for the 1st time after the winter in the spring meets. So just a heads up if you get that type of booster. 

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    edited December 2021

With such a large product library, I get pickier and pickier about additional content, even freebies.  I was pleasantly surprised by the holiday freebies provided by PAs over at Renderosity.  You may want to check them out.

BTW, does anyone know of some rigged fall leaves?  Ken G. has amazing rigged water lilies (no more flat, lifeless planes there) but I haven't found the equivalent for fall leaves.

Post edited by gitika1 on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    edited December 2021

I used Dforce on the leaves of a tree and it worked quite well. The leaves have to be a separate object from the branches though.

Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited December 2021

Novica said:

$50.00$5.00−90%image

Pip the Chick

$19.95

$5.59
    72% Off

Add Interactive License

$35.00$5.00−86%image

MaKg Hair for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females

$24.95

$6.99
    72% Off

Set of Scales

$16.95

$3.33
    80% Off

Add Interactive License

$35.00$5.00−86%image

HS Storm for Genesis 8.1 Female

$18.95

$5.31
    72% Off

Add Interactive License

$35.00$5.00−86%image

Fashion Basics: Chelsea Boots for Genesis 8.1

$14.95

$4.19
    72% Off

Add Interactive License

$10.00$5.00−50%image

1920 City Street

$32.95

$6.46
    80% Off

Add Interactive License

$50.00$5.00−90%image

Armed Virginia Sloop

$24.95

$6.99
    72% Off

Add Interactive License

$50.00$5.00−90%image

Brigitte for Bugga Boo

$18.95

$5.31
    72% Off

Add Interactive License

$35.00$5.00−86%image

Lun and Lun Hair for Genesis 8.1 Female

$24.95

$6.99
    72% Off

Add Interactive License

$50.00$5.00−90%image

Steampunk Bird

$19.95

$3.91
    80% Off

$35.00$5.00−86%image

Ron's Sand

$21.95

$6.15
    72% Off

$50.00$5.00−90%image

Rigged Cattail Reeds

$18.95

$5.31
    72% Off

HL Comfort Sneakers for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females

$14.95

$4.19
    72% Off

$10.00$5.00−50%image

Pirate Hideout

$29.95

$8.39
    72% Off

$50.00$5.00−90%image

Glowing Beach Bundle

$49.95

$13.99
    72% Off

$50.00$5.00−90%image

MEGA Updo 2 Hair for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females

$29.95

$8.39
    72% Off

Bobbi Hair for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Female

$24.95

$4.89
    80% Off

$50.00$5.00−90%image

Seashores from Costa Rica 01: Iray Shaders and Merchant Resource

$19.95

$5.59
    72% Off

$35.00$5.00−86%image

Pudgy the Corgi

$24.95

$6.99
    72% Off

$50.00$5.00−90%image

2021-13 Hair for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females

$24.95

$6.99
    72% Off

2021-13 Hair Texture Expansion

$14.95

$4.19
    72% Off

v176 Desert Tribe Hut

$18.95

$5.31
    72% Off

$35.00$5.00−86%image

Robot X95A

$21.95

$6.15
    72% Off

Add Interactive License

$50.00$5.00−90%image

dForce Petite Style Soft Salopette and Sketch Set for Genesis 8 Females

$16.95

$4.75
    72% Off

Add Interactive License

$35.00$5.00−86%image

Greeting Cards

$20.95

$5.87
    72% Off

Fantasy Tents

$18.95

$5.31
    72% Off

Add Interactive License

$35.00$5.00−86%image

Fantasy Tent Textures

$14.95

$4.19
    72% Off

Add Interactive License

$10.00$5.00−50%

Have you tried and catalogued your purchases?  I am just finding time now.  The Rigged Cattail Reeds are amazing.  There are even wind animations!  I wish DAZ had a way to set it up for alerts when a PA releases a new product.  The Alchemist is one of my favorites for quality and originality. I totally missed the Rigged Ivy Vines because at a glance the product let me to think it was another female or outfit release. cheeky

Post edited by gitika1 on

Yes- over at Rendo TwitzedMetal and Flink both have great freebies for today. Just click on Deals and go to the 23rd. Free lace shaders and a snowy forest!

@gitika1   I wish I had time to catalogue things. I have to rely on memory and the Product Library. :(   When vendors don't name their products logically, it sucks.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,777

Novica, I am sorry about Purina. We had to make that decision for Jake, my flatmate's cat two years ago. It broke both our hearts. 

But, a note, my granddaughter has read that very special book to death and loves it. And her Christmas gift that I am part paying for, will be three horse riding lessons near her home. 

May I take the time now, to wish everyone around the world a wonderful Christmas and pray for a healthy New Year. Be safe and hug your family and friends and furry ones.

Mary

Well the product library is certainly different!  Now you apply labels and rows of images come up when you do searches now.  Don't know when all that was added. I'm headed to bed and of course just happened to discover it. Have you played with it?

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,815

That's different, wasn't there the other day. Will have to see how it works.

Merry Christmas to you and your family Novica!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,169

Do you mean the Product library here: https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files - mine is unchanged, any chance of a quick screenshot of what this change is?

And Merry Chirstmas to all.

• NathNath Posts: 2,728

Quick drive-by posting...

kerst 2.png
    1049 x 906 - 1M
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,815

MelanieL said:

Do you mean the Product library here: https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files - mine is unchanged, any chance of a quick screenshot of what this change is?

I think it's a feature added by Daz-Deals extension 

daz deaks product library.jpg
    1298 x 434 - 129K

I saw it, but decided the amount of time that would need to be invested would be significant, with no guarantee that it would be there when other updates to the website are made.

edited December 2021

RGcincy said:

MelanieL said:

If it is, one must have to manually enable it because I have the DAZ-Deals extension installed & it doesn't do that. Maybe I need to upgrade it, extensions don't seem to montitor if they need updated like products in the Windows Store do.

OK, I checked & after upgrading from DAZ-Deals 2.5.3 to DAZ-Deals 3.0.2 that feature is enabled by default. I like that feature it is quite nice as the written names aren't always clear what the product is.

I'll have to remember that the Edge browser does not notify the user if extensions have newer versions available.

edited December 2021

dup

edited December 2021

Hey, back online :)  I've only done a mile so far today. I wrapped (in dog Christmas paper of course) and took copies of my book over to my vet's office. For the wonderful animal tech who helped put Purina to sleep and to the front desk gal who answered my sad call this past Saturday. Wanted to share some soothing news about that- the front desk gal is on the PTO at a local elementary school, the exact one I was going to contact- and she is going to help get my book to the K, 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade teachers. I am doing one book per room. Thanks to Geico, I made that connection. She was the one who brought his remains out to the car (due to covid, lobby closed. You have to call and they come to the car.)  

So if this takes off in the local school, it's thanks to Geico. :) 

Anyway, on to today. I am doing a few different things and designing my own characters by mix and match. Thought if you weren't extremely busy, you might like to play. We did this before on a previous thread, and I think we can all agree it was impressive what characters you came up with.  So here's my African American child I'll be using in upcoming productions. Just post what you used (as much as you want to share.) 

My base character was 3dUniverse's Jordan!  Yep.
    Next, I wanted to try to remove those painted on eyebrows without using Brow Remover. I did that with Daenestra skin materials. Love those freckles- subtle!   If you don't have her, take a good second look :) 

I dulled her bright white glaring teeth with a touch of bluish-gray. Love the teeth shape, just not the original color.

And next,  I wanted fibermesh but not lawn mowered. So for all of you looking for softer mesh brows, try Akoulina's eyebrows.  So after all that, I went into Surfaces and changed the glossy on the lips, changed the skin tone (she wasn't dark enough)  then I changed the morphs on the eyes, nose and lips, and made the chin a bit more plumper and I think a tad bit longer. So here's my gal at the moment. I have her saved, and now will go do brow removal and see what other brows look like. It's hard to get those which look good for kids, and Jordan is a child. 

Kalea 2.png
    1198 x 1320 - 3M
    Post edited by Novica on

BTW, here's something important, so I am going to do it as a separate post:
    TIP: Don't struggle with Surfaces and getting the exact skin tone. If you are having too much red, go into Render Settings pane and in Tone Mapping> White Point, put a light pink and it will take out the excess red. So however you want to adjust the skin, use that too. It's actually much easier than all the settings in Surfaces. :)  

RGcincy said:

MelanieL said:

Ah, thank you - I found it.

It's not set on by default, so I switched it on. I think I like it (not 100% sold, but I can always switch it off) - but beng able to click on the pic instead of scrolling down the list and taking pot luck whether it's what I'm looking for is kind of neat. 

Novica: nice character. By the way, I was sorry to hear about Purina.

I don't think I'll have time to do any new characters for a while - actually I'm not sure when I last actually used DS rather than just trawling through sales. (Not that I've bought very much the last couple of months - just freebies and about half a dozen new items.) But for some reason at Christmas my husband seems to expect me to make an appearance in the living room rather than hiding away in my office!

MelanieL said:

Novica: nice character. By the way, I was sorry to hear about Purina.

I don't think I'll have time to do any new characters for a while - actually I'm not sure when I last actually used DS rather than just trawling through sales. (Not that I've bought very much the last couple of months - just freebies and about half a dozen new items.) But for some reason at Christmas my husband seems to expect me to make an appearance in the living room rather than hiding away in my office!

LOL what IS he thinking?  It's okay, we're doing this for the next few weeks/ awhile. It's just a way to get us motivated to actually LOOK at what we own, and with the new Product Library it sure is easier!  I just got surprised when I went to it in the wee hours of the morning and it was so different. I'm like so many others, I don't have time to label- not sure how that works? But I like the rows of options. :)  

edited December 2021

So I thought of the perfect holiday greeting. A chuckle for you. This is in the Holiday edition of my Ci Pwff Wonders series (Ci Pwff Wonders: Where Does My Hair Go? and the holiday edition is Ci Pwff Wonders:Where Else Does My Hair Go? on Amazon.)   In the holiday edition, Santa has several encounters with Ci Pwff's (my Samoyed, in my avatar) fur. This is my favorite. It is right after the page where Santa encounters a TON of fur, and he says, "SURELY there can't be any more hair."  He can't even bear to look at it, just stares out in space. I laughed so hard.  Enjoy!

milkcookiesDaz 2021.jpg
    1140 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2021

Novica said:

So I thought of the perfect holiday greeting. A chuckle for you. This is in the Holiday edition of my Ci Pwff Wonders series (Ci Pwff Wonders: Where Does My Hair Go? and the holiday edition is Ci Pwff Wonders:Where Else Does My Hair Go? on Amazon.)   In the holiday edition, Santa has several encounters with Ci Pwff's (my Samoyed, in my avatar) fur. This is my favorite. It is right after the page where Santa encounters a TON of fur, and he says, "SURELY there can't be any more hair."  He can't even bear to look at it, just stares out in space. I laughed so hard.  Enjoy!

Ha, very funny. I have the same problem with bird down.

Oh, & Merry Christmas too!

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited December 2021

Merry Christmas to all!!

This goes with both themes-full custom character and Christmas!  She is a mix of Freja, Gabi, Gabriela, and Sayble and a few other morphs.

MerryChristmas2021TM.jpg
    2018 x 1379 - 2M
    Post edited by Daventaki on

@daventaki   Very nice! She has a confident hostess/ seasoned hostess vibe. The hardwood floors really set off the holiday decor too. Merry Christmas! Headed out to my son's over by Eglin.

• Merry Christmas to you all! and especially to Novica.

Novica and daventaki very nice xmas cards!

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,282
    edited December 2021

Merry Christmas

MerryChristmasfrom Texas.jpg
    696 x 960 - 104K
    Post edited by Robert Freise on

I was watching the tv quiz show The Chase (the old version, love it!) and the question was a multiple choice on facts about the Basenji dog. I happened to know it, but in case you don't, that dog does not bark. It sings.   So I looked it up.