New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,783

Well the joy caused by the update from Monterey OS is never ending. DIM is now crashing. I have submitted a report for help to DAZ, including the crash report. I am soooo out of my depth now.

What has happened to Apple's quality control?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    edited March 2022

My survey results were rather short. In that survey:

I told DAZ

a) NO SMS or phone calls. None. 

b) No interest in NFTs. None.

c) The DAZ+ membership benefits questions I found disturbing as one could argue based on them they are looking to reduce the benefits of being a DAZ+ member.

d) The ONE thing I want beyond what is already standard with DAZ 3D/DAZ Studio is DAZ Studio animation capabilities on par with Autodesk Motion Builder. I asked for nothing else.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,232
    Novica, Daz+ 30% discount did not change. It is the New Item discount that changed from 30 to 20 (sometimes). People are confused about this.
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,279

nonesuch00 said:

d) The ONE thing I want beyond what is already standard with DAZ 3D/DAZ Studio is DAZ Studio animation capabilities on par with Autodesk Motion Builder. I asked for nothing else.

DS is fairly ill-suited for animation, while MotionBuilder is a best-in-class industry standard purpose-built for very specific functions, so I definitely wouldn't hold my breath. It's like when people say that they "just" want dForce to be as good as Marvelous Designer.

Gordig said:

nonesuch00 said:

DS is fairly ill-suited for animation, while MotionBuilder is a best-in-class industry standard purpose-built for very specific functions, so I definitely wouldn't hold my breath. It's like when people say that they "just" want dForce to be as good as Marvelous Designer.

I asked for it but true, I'm not going to wait for around it but move on elsewhere to do more lesson in Blender...but it is possible DAZ has or hires an innovative programmer that could possibly top & extend on what Motion Builder can do. There have been several cases of big businesses buying a small business just to get the one product the cheif programmer was working on, while also getting the services of the cheif programmer themselves. Unity has done that several times already.

You might be overestimating Daz's operating budget, to say nothing of the desire/willingness to do so; you're certainly overestimating the likelihood of such a thing occurring even under absolutely optimal conditions. Has even Unreal or Blender outdone Mobu at the things Mobu does?

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

barbult said:

Novica, Daz+ 30% discount did not change. It is the New Item discount that changed from 30 to 20 (sometimes). People are confused about this.

Ah, and I was definitely one of them :)  Thanks for clarifying.

I also indicated I wasn't interested at all with NFT. For prioritizing the Daz+ benefits, I can't remember the eight we had to list, but I put the pricing one first. 

Mike and I got married back in 1991, celebrating 31 years of marriage today. :) 

edited March 2022

memcneil70 said:

Well the joy caused by the update from Monterey OS is never ending. DIM is now crashing. I have submitted a report for help to DAZ, including the crash report. I am soooo out of my depth now.

What has happened to Apple's quality control?

Oh my, sorry to hear you're in a technical bind. What exactly is the Monterey OS?  I know it's an operating system based on the OS. Is it specific to Apple? 

Post edited by Novica on
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,285

Monterey is the current version of OS X.  The most likely problem is that the version of Dim needs to be updated: to quote "

Reasons Why Apps Keep Crashing on macOS Monterey

After upgrading to macOS Monterey, various problems may occur. The most common one is app crashes. There are many reasons for this problem. Some of them are:

• Apps are not compatible.
    • Mac is running out of memory space.
    • Too many processes in the background.
    • Bugs in apps.

Fortunately, app crashes do not affect your Mac much. You can try some tricks to fix the problem."

I was misremembering Monterey as the last version of MacOS beforeApple's messy divorce from Nvidia. 

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Novica said:

Happy Anniversary!!

Novica said:

I was 8, and my wife was 3!

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859

thats awesome :) ...congratulations :)

Gordig said:

You might be overestimating Daz's operating budget, to say nothing of the desire/willingness to do so; you're certainly overestimating the likelihood of such a thing occurring even under absolutely optimal conditions. Has even Unreal or Blender outdone Mobu at the things Mobu does?

No, not overestimating but I'm saying I hope for it. That leaves a lot of leeway between 0.1 - 100% chance. Money isn't the mother of invention, necessity is. Anyway, certainly no one thought I was being realistic when I was hoping for just the kind of hardware ray-tracing capabilities that nVidia introduced but here we are. I only said that because it was a practical necessity. I had no ideals of nVidia's plans at the time. I image DAZ 3D only needs a competent PBS render engine and suitable single frame posing capabilities to sell it's models to 3D game makers, who must be it's biggest market by now, even if they don't talk of it in the forums (and loose street cred in their cliques, LOL laugh)

I'd suscribe to Motion Builder but it's too expensive. I've done enough tutorials in Blender about animations to know that that sort of extra technology to help is needed and important to have.  

Novica said:

Happy Anniversary!

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,285

Novica said:

Congrats

I was married twice before 1991 came around

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,285

Happy Anniversary!

• NathNath Posts: 2,730

Happy Anniversary!

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,947

Novica said:

Congratulations!!! 

Novica said:

Happy, happy anniversary! 

edited March 2022

Gordig said:

I was misremembering Monterey as the last version of MacOS beforeApple's messy divorce from Nvidia. 

I have an iMac from late 2012 with a Nvidia 660 card, and the last update was macOS Catalina v. 10.15.7 and now just gets security updates. At least it gets that, my older iPad gets nothing. And it was at one point when Nvidia stopped supporting that card that my computer crashed and locked up so bad it had to go to the Apple store near me for a major restore.

The new MacBook Pro M1 bought in Jan 2022, is macOS Monterey, v.12.3. I don't remember what the name was for macOS v.11, since I never got it. 

Daz Tech did ask if I did a render. Which now with the information from @nemesis10 makes sense. So I am going to test it now and see it that is broken also. 

Another thing I remembered as I was waking up was I had open the firewall back up, it had been open since I had shoe horn Daz and DIM into the laptop.

Edit to update: Well, I turned off my firewall first, and now DIM works. So, to use DIM I have to leave the Firewall open? 

Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,824

Happy Anniversary Novica! Just think what has changed in those 31 years

RGcincy said:

Happy Anniversary Novica! Just think what has changed in those 31 years

My figure, but I'm working on it. Starting back with the exercises and more walking again, had cut that down to 1-5 miles a day, usually just 2-3. So have to revv back up again.

Thanks everyone! Mike has come down sick, he just went to Miami on a trip and I thought, "Uh oh." as that's still a high concern covid hot spot. He's congested, sore throat, did a covid test so we'll find out today or tomorrow. He is over at Eglin, isolating at our son's condo which has two stories. However, I did see him when he came from the airport for a couple hours. I am boosted, Mike isn't. Hopefully it is just a cold. Will let you know when I find out. I am not going to go see Mom today until I do, since she is 94 I am not going to expose her. Thursday is our designated time to visit, although since they have opened the senior home back up, appts are not required. We've just gotten in the habit. TTYL  

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,173

Happy anniversary (a little late I know but I only just saw this) and I hope that is just a cold that Mike's got.

• Happy Anniversary, hope Mike is OK.

The flu is also perking up now, but I have been watching a lot of news and it seems so many people are coming down with mild cases of Covid now. Between feeling like I have a major allergy attack all the time, and for the past three days a migraine that won't quit. Even my meds don't help. Guess it is time to bring out the masks again. Two weeks off, or was it three?

Well, great news- Mike doesn't have the flu or Covid :)   Just a bad cold. 

That new Omicron variant is 80x more transmissable and now almost 25% of the new cases are the B-whatever it is variant. If you have appointments (such as hair, dental, doctor) now is the time to schedule them as the wave of the new Omicron isn't running rampant quite yet. I'm going to get my hair cut next week I think. Thanks for the well wishes, I will pass them along. I am going to my son's video game preview today at 5pm so I have to get to bed and get some sleep as he's an hour's drive away. :) 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,376
    edited March 2022

Heads Up: Kindred Arts has a new ghost light kit that works in the latest DS. There is a 90% discount for people who own the old one tha doesn't work in the latest DS. I didn't get any message about it but I popped it in my cart and it was only $2. So, if you own the old KA ghost light kit pop the new one in your cart and check out the price. The only way I learned about it was from the ghost light thread.

This is the new one released today: https://www.daz3d.com/iray-ghost-light-kit-one

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Waited 40 minutes for you son's game reveal but had to leave while they ironed out their problems. Sorry.