New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited April 2022

My DAZ+ expires in the month of May and in the past I've needed to renew (or buy again I guess you'd say since it would usually be left expired until something I want bad enough came along) when new products were released for me to get a decent price. I'll see after it expires this time whether that is necessary anymore. You all seem to say it won't be needed.  

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2022

Weird - I thought I posted my comment yesterday, but just now it showed up as a draft. Anyway, in a few days my Daz+ also expires, and I'm ready to see how my spending works out without...

Post edited by Nath on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,389

I'll also let my subscription expire in November, it just doesn't seem to make much sense anymore.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203
    So far, it is a good incentive not to shop. I went to the zoo instead. The weather is beautiful right now. All the birds are off exhibit because of bird flu threat. I hadn't really thought about how many bird exhibits there were until they were all empty.

I've been doing a clean reinstall of all my content (still not quite done), and it really drives home that there isn't really much that I need. There may be things that I want, and tools/effects/scripts may be useful, but with the amount of content I have I don't need to 'complete' my runtime LOL. Of what I bought over the past year or so, I've used Ultrascenery/XL the most.

Time to become (even more) selective with buying.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I enjoy Martin Frost's plants which periodically pop up but grew tired of the wizard stuff being featured for quite awhile, and totally Victorian, etc. Seems like they go on a theme and don't get off it, it has been better in recent years but too similar to what I've already got. So totally agree once you start looking at what you have, you hit the pause button. :)  I'm a character collector, obviously, but tons of stuff I'll never use in all categories.

BTW have you gotten periodic Host Server Errors these past few days where Cloudfare was working and Daz site wasn't? It just did it to me again during this post. I did a quick copy/paste and had to exit.

Novica said:

I enjoy Martin Frost's plants which periodically pop up but grew tired of the wizard stuff being featured for quite awhile, and totally Victorian, etc. Seems like they go on a theme and don't get off it, it has been better in recent years but too similar to what I've already got. So totally agree once you start looking at what you have, you hit the pause button. :)  I'm a character collector, obviously, but tons of stuff I'll never use in all categories.

BTW have you gotten periodic Host Server Errors these past few days where Cloudfare was working and Daz site wasn't? It just did it to me again during this post. I did a quick copy/paste and had to exit.

Daz Forum server errors (504 and 502) happen intermittently, and have been for months. One time the forum was down for a whole weekend.

Yeah, it's been bad for me the past two days though. Two times yesterday in a period of an hour and a half. Then again today in the first 15 minutes. It keeps signing me out too. Maybe it's pissed because I've stopped buying so much LOL. "Okay, here ya go. You don't want to shop? You don't chat either." 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,758

Cloudfare likes to hit my posts when I am trying to get one in, just before I have to rush off to do something. So I am late. I gave up on posting a character I bought one time.

edited April 2022

Heads up for anyone who bought the recent dForce Balloon Dress Outfit, but didn't render it yet. I was wondering yesterday why a single G8F with this dress went straight to CPU and then just sat there doing nothing for half an hour before I stopped it.

Today, I looked at the textures on the dress (after first checking that my GPU wasn't the problem)

Some of the textures are VERY large. The stitches on the shoes (yes, the SHOES) are 8192*8192 (as are the diffuse and the normal maps). Then I looked at some of the SubD settings. Yikes.

Scene Optimizer can bring it down to levels manageable by people not running the Weta renderfarm...

Or re-texture.

It's actually a nice dress, but oh my poor computer.

test.png
    1187 x 893 - 396K
    Post edited by Nath on

@nath  LOL yes, I imagine that would be quite a surprise. 

edited April 2022

Novica said:

@nath  LOL yes, I imagine that would be quite a surprise. 

Yeah, I can't think of any reason why these two tiny strips of material would need that resolution LOL

stitching.png
    1661 x 966 - 260K
    Post edited by Nath on
    edited April 2022

Aw, I got the Little Gentleman for  A Gentleman's Wardrobe by Aave in the Freebies. I know I'll probably never use it, but it's free and it brings back memories of when it was released. Nostalgia.

Post edited by Novica on

Novica said:

Aw, I got the Little Gentleman for  A Gentleman's Wardrobe by Aave in the Freebies. I know I'll probably never use it, but it's free and it brings back memories of when it was released. Nostalgia.

I did the same for pretty much the same reason with really no intent to use it. Who knows, though.

@barbult  LOL Maybe one day your little fella and my little fella will go to a formal dinner with their parents and meet up one day. 

edited April 2022

How do I look?

I actually didn't use anything from the Little Gentleman package (morphs for G2). I just autofit the original suit to G8M and applied a head morph and some Growing Up to G8M. The suit adjusted to Growing Up morphs with auto follow. It has some distortion, especially the buttons. The 3Delight materials were bad looking in Iray. I applied shaders. But, from a distance, it look surprisingly good for such and old product.

G8M Gentleman's Wardrobe GU.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on

@barbult   I think it looks really good!  I like the length of the pants, I HATE men's clothing where the ankles literally show. Your little dude is really rocking it. And, free! 

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,276

Novica said:

@barbult   I think it looks really good!  I like the length of the pants, I HATE men's clothing where the ankles literally show. Your little dude is really rocking it. And, free!

Ooh, Google Thom Browne!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I get all freebies DAZ makes available as soon as I see them although I know I'm not gonna use 99% of them. That suit was well modeled you all are right.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,758

First I want to thank everyone for highlighting the Little Gentleman for A Gentleman's Wardrobe, I had thought I had it, but nope, I didn't. But I had everything else needed. So I added it to the cart.

I had a cart with the cute Kids Zone Poses and Mini Park that was in DAZ+ today and along with the week's freebie I was happy, but for some reason, I thought I would check out today's sub-categories in the main sale. I had ignored the main sale earlier. Under 'Select Anime Items' I was shocked to find a bundle I had put on my wishlist just last night, Mesh Grabber Bundle (Mac) which is normally priced at $62.95 and with the code went to $22.03, but also a tutorial that I never thought I could afford at $115.95, which went down to $40.58.

I just want to highlight this group of items as it seems that mixed amongst the anime/manga characters are some utilities/scripts/cameras/shaders... that are very good for those who may like to transform a render into line/cartoon art. 

And last night, I was trying to simulate an outfit on a character and the jacket sucked up under her breasts, then as I went in close, the scarf had embedded into the collar of the jacket. Went to Tools for Mesh Grabber, not there. Went looking, not there. Opened DIM, and it crashed, and unseated my external hardrive. I was on my MacBookPro M1 and had forgotten that Mesh Grabber has two different releases for Win and Mac. I had the Win, not the Mac, and that was when I put it on wish list. This morning I fixed the new 8Tb external hard drive and all my files showed up. But I am so over crashes and unseated hard drives.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,793

Random post: You know how the DAZ store is full of black and brown characters with blue eyes? I know that this exists in real life, but it's not very common, is it? At least where I live, I never see people like that on the street.

Today I was in meetings with clients all day and one of them was a beautiful woman with dark olive skin - possibly of Arab, North African, or Indian descent - with clear blue eyes. Not hazel, or some hard-to-define mix... but pure, pale blue like the morning sky. And no, it wasn't contacts. I kept thinking, this is weird, why am I sitting at a table with a DAZ character.

And she spoke with a thick German accent. So unreal XD

Novica said:

Not free, because the freebie was not used. It has assets for G2, but I just autofit the purchased regular suit to G8, so those freebie addons were not applicable in this case.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,276

Hylas said:

Random post: You know how the DAZ store is full of black and brown characters with blue eyes? I know that this exists in real life, but it's not very common, is it? At least where I live, I never see people like that on the street.

Today I was in meetings with clients all day and one of them was a beautiful woman with dark olive skin - possibly of Arab, North African, or Indian descent - with clear blue eyes. Not hazel, or some hard-to-define mix... but pure, pale blue like the morning sky. And no, it wasn't contacts. I kept thinking, this is weird, why am I sitting at a table with a DAZ character.

And she spoke with a thick German accent. So unreal XD

I come from a multiracial family so I am pretty caramel colored, kinked hair, with dark olive eyes.  My mom was fair to the point of being pink with auburn hair and  green eyes while my father was dark caramel, dark drown eyes; ironically, they had the same ethnic backgrounds i.e. half West African and half Welsh/half English respectively.  I am not suprised that you don't run into dark skinned people with light colored eyes.  The genetic mix of people in the United States and Britain tends to be narrow.  They generally include people of the west coast of equatorial Africa and Africa is a vast and old continent with the bulk of human genetic diversity.  They include some of the tallest and shortest people in the world and a range of skin tones that is vastly more diverse that the small distinctions between a blonde women with blue eyes from Sweden and a brunette woman with brown eyes from Greece.  I thought I would quickly show you two biracial women, actress Halle Berry and athlete Gabrielle Reece, who both have Black fathers and White mothers but look entirely different:

So... pretty real for me!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,222

Hylas said:

Senator Cory Booker's eyes are bluish. But no, not super common. Generally speaking, the darker someone's skin is, the less likely they are to have non-brown eyes.

edited April 2022

Just a quick request before I go to get some sleep (it's been storming bad here in P'cola so just stayed up.)  Can someone confirm Minha is wrong out of the box?  This is just a one minute render so you can see what I mean. I am SO over trying to render things at the last minute (letting them run while I sleep) and then having garbage show up the minute I add ONE product. 

minha.png
    900 x 1100 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2022

So just tested all the included transparencies (dark, light, medium) and no changes, and also the matte option. Nothing is changing it. I'll just return her, but wanted to see if there was a quick fix I don't know about. Again, where is Daz's quality control. Headed to bed, will check in later. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

Farmers tan?

• RainRain Posts: 335

Novica said:

Just a quick request before I go to get some sleep (it's been storming bad here in P'cola so just stayed up.)  Can someone confirm Minha is wrong out of the box?  This is just a one minute render so you can see what I mean. I am SO over trying to render things at the last minute (letting them run while I sleep) and then having garbage show up the minute I add ONE product. 

I have her and she works just fine for me.  I've tried all the different materials and have no problem.  It's very strange that you're getting that.  She's a lovely character.  I just tried her again and i'll post it although I didnt fully render her.

Minha.jpg
    1200 x 1500 - 1M
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

Can someone tell me what the current and previous Daz+ Freebies are? My subscription lapsed and waiting for a sale to renew and wondering if I should wait or if the freebies are worth it. Guess I already missed last week’s but curious what it is. Thanks. 

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Wonderland said:

Can someone tell me what the current and previous Daz+ Freebies are? My subscription lapsed and waiting for a sale to renew and wondering if I should wait or if the freebies are worth it. Guess I already missed last week’s but curious what it is. Thanks. 

This week's Daz+ Freebie: https://www.daz3d.com/betty-classic-room-dividers