New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

spuffy said:

Novica said:

Just a quick request before I go to get some sleep (it's been storming bad here in P'cola so just stayed up.)  Can someone confirm Minha is wrong out of the box?  This is just a one minute render so you can see what I mean. I am SO over trying to render things at the last minute (letting them run while I sleep) and then having garbage show up the minute I add ONE product. 

I have her and she works just fine for me.  I've tried all the different materials and have no problem.  It's very strange that you're getting that.  She's a lovely character.  I just tried her again and i'll post it although I didnt fully render her.

Thanks! I'll uninstall and reinstall and see if that works.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

gitika1 said:

Wonderland said:

Can someone tell me what the current and previous Daz+ Freebies are? My subscription lapsed and waiting for a sale to renew and wondering if I should wait or if the freebies are worth it. Guess I already missed last week’s but curious what it is. Thanks. 

This week's Daz+ Freebie: https://www.daz3d.com/betty-classic-room-dividers

Thanks. I could use those but not sure if it’s worth paying full price to renew the DAZ+ subscription...

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,793
    edited April 2022

Wonderland said:

Can someone tell me what the current and previous Daz+ Freebies are? My subscription lapsed and waiting for a sale to renew and wondering if I should wait or if the freebies are worth it. Guess I already missed last week’s but curious what it is. Thanks. 

You can always check here: https://www.daz3d.com/platinum-club-freebies

btw, non-members can buy a 1$ giftcard for themselves and the daz+ freebie becomes free when put into the cart together.

Post edited by Hylas on

If you're not watching CBS evening news (Norah O'Donnell) they are going to show 3D printing for homes. It will be a bit later in the broadcast so you have time to tune in right now.

• Novica said:

spuffy said:

Novica said:

Just a quick request before I go to get some sleep (it's been storming bad here in P'cola so just stayed up.)  Can someone confirm Minha is wrong out of the box?  This is just a one minute render so you can see what I mean. I am SO over trying to render things at the last minute (letting them run while I sleep) and then having garbage show up the minute I add ONE product. 

I have her and she works just fine for me.  I've tried all the different materials and have no problem.  It's very strange that you're getting that.  She's a lovely character.  I just tried her again and i'll post it although I didnt fully render her.

Thanks! I'll uninstall and reinstall and see if that works.

Please let me know how that goes, I will help if it's still wonky (it shouldn't be).

edited April 2022

Minha (G8F)    FE dForce Irregular Skirt Punk Outfit (G8F)     Beautiful Neutrals Iray Lighting    Xue Hair (G8/G8.1 F) 

So rendering stuff I just bought recently. Thanks @handspanstudios   it straightened out after an uninstall and reinstall. Don't know why that works, but I have most of your characters so knew it was a fluke. I really like her teeth, they have nice fluctuations in them and look very natural.

Xue Hair is EXTREMELY limited in colors. Doesn't even have black. There's a couple shades of brown (light/dark) Silver, Yellow, Red.

The Beautiful Neutrals Iray Lighting (BNIL) is really, really dim. Here's a tip: Go to the Scenes section of the product, and RIGHT CLICK when you click a Scene. If you don't it will try to close down your current one and start a new scene. So right click and choose MERGE SCENE and you can add several of the lights at once. Otherwise, BNIL needs spotlights or something, or use it as night lighting. Most of the lighting is just all-over even lighting with rim lights. 

DONE, SEE THIRD IMAGE.  I am going to use my go-to lighting (Pro-Studio) and doing a render now so you can get a different "look" for the skin. 

I do like the outfit, it's funky and charming at the same time. The boots go really well with it. 

Moderators: And I assume someone has reported all those Fast Grab items which are not showing 70% and are full price? I see at least three. I am not surfing the forums to see, I just got back a couple hours ago from the barn. Stetson was laying down, not eating, and had tummy ache  so I've been out walking him (he didn't colic) so am just too tired to track down any more of Daz's mistakes being reported or not. (Stetson's stomach finally got rumbling/normal tummy sounds, he was eating hay for several hours and doing good, back to normal. Perky when I left. Night watch also checked on him.) 

Can click to enlarge, this one is 1200 px high.

And here's with Pro-Studio. Again, love the teeth! 

Minha 2.png
    761 x 800 - 852K
    Minha.png
    500 x 1200 - 625K
    Minha 3.png
    900 x 800 - 920K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Glad it's working, also glad you notice the teeth ;-). They are very hard to do because no matter what they'll be bright in some lighting and very dark in others. I usually go darkish but leave a bit of a diffuse material color that you can make white if it's not working in your lighting. I'll get back to making more now, 'night.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,162

gitika1 said:

Wonderland said:

This week's Daz+ Freebie: https://www.daz3d.com/betty-classic-room-dividers

Current monthly freebie is: https://www.daz3d.com/cyber-tunnels

Last two week's weekly freebies were: 
    https://www.daz3d.com/magnificent-mesembryanthemum-plants
    https://www.daz3d.com/beautiful-neutrals-iray-lighting

Novica said:

The Beautiful Neutrals Iray Lighting (BNIL) is really, really dim. Here's a tip: Go to the Scenes section of the product, and RIGHT CLICK when you click a Scene. If you don't it will try to close down your current one and start a new scene. So right click and choose MERGE SCENE and you can add several of the lights at once. Otherwise, BNIL needs spotlights or something, or use it as night lighting. Most of the lighting is just all-over even lighting with rim lights. 

Are you only loading the HDRI's? They are just by themselves indeed dim, but on purpose. The product also includes a few lights, the HDRI's are meant to be used in combination with those.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203
    edited April 2022

Hylas said:

Novica said:

Are you only loading the HDRI's? They are just by themselves indeed dim, but on purpose. The product also includes a few lights, the HDRI's are meant to be used in combination with those.

There are quite a few things about this product (Beautiful Neutrals Iray Lighting) that make it confusing or hard to use or just don't seem right.

• The light/camera/HDRI presets are Scenes instead of Scene Subsets, so they try to overwrite your scene unless you merge, as Novica mentioned.
    • Beautiful Neutrals Scene 02 doesn't load any lights and the render is dark and looks nothing like the preview because of that. This must be a product error.
    • Both Beautiful Neutrals Scene 03 and Beautiful Neutrals Scene 07 load Beautiful Neutrals Camera C, but the camera view is not the same.
    • The whole product assumes your subject is at 0,0,0 and posed in a way similar to the preset, to get the lighting effect shown in the preset preview.
    • The cameras use DOF, so if your character pose moves the character very much, you may not have focus where you want it.
    • Camera C, which I would call a portrait camera, uses a wide angle focal length, which distorts the character's features and is not very flattering.
    • Be aware that the cameras in this product use Local Dimensions set in the Parameters pane. Your global render settings dimensions and aspect ratio will be ignored!
    • Be aware that the Scene files change your global Render Settings dimensions and aspect ratio, even though the Scenes don't even use those settings, because the included cameras use Local Dimensions instead. Next time you render from  a different camera, you will get a rude shock when your render size and aspect ration have been changed. One of the included Scenes in this product even sets the render size down to a 91 pixel width.
    Post edited by barbult on

Yep honestly I was trying to rush out the door after I got the call about Stetson, I had loaded several of the Scenes (as mentioned) before I got the call, then had to go so I hit Render so it could be going while I was gone all evening. Have to admit I was just trying to do something (cussword) SIMPLE so thought I'd show you a SIMPLE new lighting product. Well, Barbult's post points out what I would have run into (in addition to dim results)  I'm SO glad @barbult posted about the duplications, I thought it was just because I was rushing. Thanks so much for that, thought it was MY errors.

Hey @barbult   will you put a link in your post to that product so other folks can call it up with the Daz deal plug-in on that product page? (Where it shows forum links, gallery links)  I have it linked in mine don't know if you can copy/paste that, or just click on it and grab the URL. Would appreciate it. You did a detailed,  thoughtful write-up.

Novica said:

Hey @barbult   will you put a link in your post to that product so other folks can call it up with the Daz deal plug-in on that product page? (Where it shows forum links, gallery links)  I have it linked in mine don't know if you can copy/paste that, or just click on it and grab the URL. Would appreciate it. You did a detailed,  thoughtful write-up.

Done

edited April 2022

Here's an image I rendered with the Beautiful Neutrals Iray Lighting. I did change the camera focal length and position, turned off Local Dimensions, changed the DOF focus distance, and appied some of the product presets for bloom and environment intensity. I added the background image in the Environment pane; it is not from the HDRI in the product. Her face is not well lit, because my pose is nowhere near the post shown in the preset I used. But there are interesting highlights on her hands and arms and hair.

Monique 8 Primavera Romance_003_Camera C change.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited April 2022

Yep, this frankly so far seems to be a rim lighting product. I have enough of those, but the price was right on this. Thanks for showing your gal! With rotation we could get the face 1/2 lit, etc.

Post edited by Novica on

Novica said:

Yep, this frankly so far seems to be a rim lighting product. I have enough of those, but the price was right on this. Thanks for showing your gal! With rotation we could get the face 1/2 lit, etc.

I keep finding more things that annoy me, and I add them to my previous post.

edited April 2022

It's funny... I quite like Beautiful Neutrals.

Not to invalidate anything that @barbult has pointed out. You found some legitimate flaws. Especially unnecessary changes to Render Settings are always irksome.

But my workflow is such that I never noticed any of those flaws.

I just use the HDRIs, Lights, and Bloom Settings. I ignore the pre-made scenes and always use my own cameras.

And with portrait products like that I always assume that the figure needs to be at the world centre, stading upright and facing forward.

If you use it like that it's a nice little product. Would I buy it? Prolly not, I have more than enough portrait lights already. But I got it for free and I'm gonna use it every now and then, I think.

oly01.png
    700 x 1000 - 668K
    oly02.png
    700 x 1000 - 626K
    Post edited by Hylas on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,222

If anybody's had their eyes on the MetaMixer mega bundle, but have balked at the price, all the individual components are in the current flash sale, and come out to half the price of the bundle if you buy all of them - and, obviously, less than half the bundle price if you don't want all of them.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,346

HU: If you made any purchases that exceeded $40 in a single order in the last week or so, check your site messages. I got one for an extra 10% off but it was buried under other earlier orange banners. So, I I didn't see it in time to use it on the large order (for the Kola 8.1 megabundle) that I made today.

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

If any of you are looking for a nice modern house with multiple bedrooms, with doors that can open, look no further - this one by Tesla3dCorp is currently on sale for mere USD 2.99:

https://www.daz3d.com/modern-vacation-house

Judging from the promos, the toilet seems to be a solid stump, though.

@watchdog79  Thanks! I already have it but it's nice to get a heads up.

edited May 2022

Heads up if you haven't checked Fast Grab lately. The Flags of the World is in there, with over 100 countries' flags, in case you are doing artwork to support certain countries. 

Post edited by Novica on

When you use your Daz+ and only have the Daz+ in the cart, they go to 85% off when you only have a couple in the cart. Sweet deal!  I bought a bunch of other things in the second order and used the second Daz+ (have to buy 18.00 worth or more) 

Victorian Bedroom

recent best $7.84      $32.95     $4.93
    85% Off

Contemplation Pool

recent best $8.32     $34.95      $5.23
    85% Off

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

I already had used my coupons but got a bunch at good prices anyway. How's the weather in Florida?

edited May 2022

RGcincy said:

I already had used my coupons but got a bunch at good prices anyway. How's the weather in Florida?

Sorry, notifications got buried in my emails :)   Florida has been dicey the past month with the weather service TOTALLY botching their forecasts. To give an example, last week WKRG lead weatherman said "I'm not worried about this first line moving through around 7am, it will be the line of storms coming later this afternoon around 3pm which will have blah-blah-blah." 

Well, around 3am, NOT 7am, there was already a tornado on the ground IN MOBILE AL (had to laugh, right in Ed's backyard so to speak) and a HUGE line of storms moving 55mph with 90 mph winds wreaking havoc as it headed our way. And this is the THIRD time in two weeks they totally blew the forecast, so there I was calling neighbors to wake them up as it once again turned into storms with rotation and tornado warnings/extreme thunderstorms. I was unplugging all my electronics as those storm surge protectors are not 100%, and NONE of those protect against a direct strike. I did find something interesting from several electrical sites: 

A higher joule rating is the best indicator of greater protection. Choose a surge protector with a joule rating at the very least in the 200 to 400 range. Sensitive or costly equipment, such as computers, displays and audio/video equipment, warrants a joule rating of at least 1000.

So everybody check yours :)  I never thought about that before. I guess it would be on the bottom. I'm going to check mine now, as these stupid storms come up fast and I may not be on my current off-schedule to unplug things (up all night, sleep mornings/midday. Got off schedule two weeks ago when I HAD to be up all night due to multiple tornadoes.)  

So otherwise, laying sod and watering it (water bill was close to 300.00) but there's no water shortage here (LOTS of rain) and we're taking advantage of spring planting while water is abundant and not working in the summer to plant things. Hope everyone else is doing good, thinking about the California and New Mexico folks with those fires. 

If anyone has some cool renders or products to feature, as always, feel free. I haven't done very many in a couple months now, just a few odds and ends.

Post edited by Novica on

Oh, and forgot to add to the above- then at 3pm that line of storms never materialized. Not a drop of rain. NONE. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,758

Before 5G was turned on, one of our weather forecasters in Denver talked about the negatives of its impact would be on weather forecasting. Apparently 5G uses the same bandwidth that the weather satellites transmit their data. He warned then that it would put their ability to accurately forecast back to the 1970s or so. I think you just saw an example of it Novica.

(I say this as a non-scientist and vaguely remembering this warning. Same as I remember the issue 5G would cause problems with flight controls in the USA. Take it for what it is worth.)

edited May 2022

Good to know- 'cause they sure didn't get it right today either. Although it was a 40%, there wasn't any mention of the huge storms pounding the area (almost 90 percent of the radar was lit up in dark maroon, pinks, and purples. And training in the same areas as it came down North to South.)  I am on a different sleep schedule so headed to bed around 1pm and by 3:30pm it was rocking and rolling. My NOAA alarm was going off every 20 to 40 minutes. UGH. 

LOL try sleeping through THIS: (and the hot purple is right over Stetson's barn)

IMG_4585.PNG
    750 x 519 - 659K
    IMG_4586.PNG
    750 x 606 - 630K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2022

I really dislike the eyebrows so far down the bridge of the nose, such as Prisha. Doesn't appeal to me at all.  The closest I could find was Cara Delevingne and even hers don't head down the nose. It just looks absolutely creepy to me, particularly that 3/4 view. Something about those brows just seem off, and I've looked at the corner of the eye and where the brows come, but I think the brows are too far down onto the nose? 

Post edited by Novica on