New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

1858687888991»

Comments

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

Robert Freise said:

barbult said:

I hope you are doing OK, Novica.

I'm posting this here, because I know you have a large following who appreciate hearing about other users' experiences with products. I am returning Bogolan Dress for Genesis 9. It looks cute in the promo images and has nice material patterns, but the construction of the garment is very disappointing. Parts of the dress aren't welded to each other, and they separate when the product's default smoothing is applied. The straps are way above the shoulders and there is no adjustment morph to fix it. The top stitching detail is made up of tiny dense mesh (probably straight out of Marvelous Designer). There is a hidden "structure" surface that contributes nothing but extra useless mesh as far as I can see. It isn't connected to any of the rest of the dress, so I don't see how it supplies any "structure". The whole thing is is made of triangles, not quads. I won't buy from this PA again, based on this experience.

Thanks for the info.

I had it in my wishlist glad I hadn't purchased it yet

I will add a "Me To" as well. Both outfits by the PA were just put on my wishlist, but now off. Feedback is critical and why I love Novica's thread. Thank you @barbult for the details. I hope the PA reads this and improves their work. They do offer a style of clothing not otherwise offered in the store. 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

barbult said:

I hope you are doing OK, Novica.

I'm posting this here, because I know you have a large following who appreciate hearing about other users' experiences with products. I am returning Bogolan Dress for Genesis 9. It looks cute in the promo images and has nice material patterns, but the construction of the garment is very disappointing. Parts of the dress aren't welded to each other, and they separate when the product's default smoothing is applied. The straps are way above the shoulders and there is no adjustment morph to fix it. The top stitching detail is made up of tiny dense mesh (probably straight out of Marvelous Designer). There is a hidden "structure" surface that contributes nothing but extra useless mesh as far as I can see. It isn't connected to any of the rest of the dress, so I don't see how it supplies any "structure". The whole thing is is made of triangles, not quads. I won't buy from this PA again, based on this experience.

You can see the straps aren't on the shoulders in the main picture on the shop page. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

Fishtales said:

You can see the straps aren't on the shoulders in the main picture on the shop page. 

You are right. You can say the same about no strap adjustment morph being included. I didn't examine it critically enough. Fortunately Daz return policy is good, and I have already received my refund, and I no longer have this in my library.

It wasn't just the high strap and lack of adjustment that made me finally give up on this dress. I can make my own morph. However, when I imported it to Blender to make a morph, I really discovered all the other issues in the product (unwelded garment pieces, dense triangles instead of quads, not designed to support DS smoothing or subD, floating modeled topstitching).

Don't think I hate everything. I have posted a lot of renders in the Sue Yee Appreciation Post thread. There's a PA who knows how to make normal-person clothing that look real and perform well. yesyes

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited March 22

barbult said:

Don't think I hate everything. I have posted a lot of renders in the Sue Yee Appreciation Post thread. There's a PA who knows how to make normal-person clothing that look real and perform well. yesyes

Appreciate you letting everyone know! We should expect more QA before these things are allowed to be sold, but sadly experience shows us that sometimes QA doesn't seem to have been done at all.

I am doing well, folks. I did something which was a great decision- to honor Mom AND Dad, I decided to get a Golden Retriever puppy as that was the dog breed Mom and Dad chose for our family while I was growing up. Weekends, we all hopped in the car to go to Grandma and Grandpa's 88 acre farm, and I treasure the memories of the babbling streams and wooded forests on the property. The farm address was Spencer, Indiana, so I named my puppy Spencer. He arrived last night and as expected everytime I say Spencer it makes me feel very young again and like Mom and Dad live on. I know you get what I mean. And who couldn't be constantly smiling with a new family member with this face?

Ci Pwff the Samoyed and Seychelle the Weimaraner have both gone outside with him (one at a time, as they are SO much bigger in weight) and after a few times, all 3 have gone out together. It's a hoot!  Anyway, here's Spencer at 3 months old. 

Spencer.jpg
    483 x 483 - 55K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

Good looking dog and I like the name and what it means. 

Wow, he's furry! That is a great tribute. I'm glad it brings you joy.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,268

Good looking pup

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,149

Aw, he's cute! What a lovely idea to get him.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,779

https://www.daz3d.com/dark-guard-character-hd-for-genesis-8-male

It's on older product but I've only bought it a few days ago. Disappointed to see how sloppy the texture is, seams are clearly visible. My attached renders show the base G8M with the Dark Guard texture out of the box, no morphs. Now that I know to look for it it's even visible in the official promo renders. Very bummed out, especially from a PA as well regarded as Luthbel. sad

DG01.png
    973 x 921 - 1M
    DG02.png
    973 x 921 - 1M
    DG03.png
    592 x 423 - 369K
    DG04.png
    596 x 503 - 611K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Congratulations on the new dog.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

Spencer is adorable Novica. He looks like a sturdy bundle of love. I miss loving on a dog. Cats purr at you, and if I am lucky, I may get my wrist/arm pulled over to be hugged when one of them goes to sleep. (I grew up to be a 'teddy bear' for a pair of cats!.)

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited March 28

Glad to hear you are doing ok Novica.  So sorry to hear about your Mom.  

Congradulations on the new family member!  Spencer is to cute!!

Ive been busy and haven't had much time to spend on the forums and such.  Im having computer issues.  

And I have also adopted a new dog she is a rescue from a hoarding situation and is doing very well.  She is we believe to be about 8 months old.   Her name is Blue.

20240216_103239.jpg
    1055 x 791 - 302K
    Post edited by Daventaki on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited March 28

Hylas said:

It's on older product but I've only bought it a few days ago. Disappointed to see how sloppy the texture is, seams are clearly visible. My attached renders show the base G8M with the Dark Guard texture out of the box, no morphs. Now that I know to look for it it's even visible in the official promo renders. Very bummed out, especially from a PA as well regarded as Luthbel. sad

For what it's worth, I think the seam issue on Dark Guard is in his normal maps. I used just his normals on a different character to make him look older, and wound up with seam issues there. I couldn't figure out how to fix them, so I wound up dealing with it in post.

I think if you use his body hair, that hides the seams, which is why I didn't notice it when I worked with him as a whole.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,779

vwrangler said:

Hylas said:

For what it's worth, I think the seam issue on Dark Guard is in his normal maps. I used just his normals on a different character to make him look older, and wound up with seam issues there. I couldn't figure out how to fix them, so I wound up dealing with it in post.

I think if you use his body hair, that hides the seams, which is why I didn't notice it when I worked with him as a whole.

Pretty sure I switched off normals and I still had the issue. I think it's in all his maps. But I've now returned the character so I can't double-check.