Announcing Reality 4 {Commercial}

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    I don't know if it's come up yet, but since installing Reality 4, DAZ Studio is really slow to load things. Even when I don't have Reality open, a skin texture takes 48 seconds to load, where it used to be about 10 seconds or less. Even loading a gray G2F into the scene takes almost a minute. I tried uninstalling Reality 4 and everything went back to normal speed. When I reinstalled, everything went slow again, so I'm fairly certain Reality 4 is the reason. Has anyone else had this issue?

Yes I have this problem as well, I'm sure I've seen someone else mention problems with lagging and speed since installing Reality.

I've picked up the same thing it's slows down DS4.7 loading anything thing it's lagging all over the place, and as soon as I get rid of the Reality .dll everything speeds up, so I can't really use it as it kills working in DS. it's like it's trying to convert every scene even if it's not being used. It's got to be a bug hope they sort it out soon !!!

I'm seeing this too. I'm trying to submit a bug over at preta3d.com's bug tracker but my account is having an issue. This needs to get posted so it can be looked at and (hopefully) fixed asap.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,368
    edited December 1969

Reality doesn't seem able to handle more than 1 Genesis, I have 2 Genesis in the scene both wearing the same outfit and both with the same textures, Reality will only show the materials for one figure.
    This version was not ready for release and I feel ripped off paying for an item that I'm required to beta test and that is unusable.

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

decoyboy said:
    Hello all,
    I've only been testing here and there on renders, but I noticed my "go to" light is gone in R4. Was the soft box light really removed, or am I just missing it? I love that light. I see the mesh light has the ability to make walls around it, but just doesn't seem the same to me.

I believe the new meshlights are intended to replace this. The softbox was just a fairly large meshlight with a prop enclosure (this has no effect on the light) and a snoot and gobo (turned off by default) positioned by default very close to the scene origin (on the assumption your character is in that position).

The new meshlighs have all these features plus morph parameters called Shadow Contol which simply change the size of the mesh (Very Soft = very large mesh). Select the meshlight and look in Parameters. All that remains to do to make it work the same as a softbox is to bring it closer to the subject.

edited December 1969

Reality doesn't seem able to handle more than 1 Genesis, I have 2 Genesis in the scene both wearing the same outfit and both with the same textures, Reality will only show the materials for one figure.
    This version was not ready for release and I feel ripped off paying for an item that I'm required to beta test and that is unusable.

out of curiosity are the identical items using identical names in DS?

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    I don't know if it's come up yet, but since installing Reality 4, DAZ Studio is really slow to load things. Even when I don't have Reality open, a skin texture takes 48 seconds to load, where it used to be about 10 seconds or less. Even loading a gray G2F into the scene takes almost a minute. I tried uninstalling Reality 4 and everything went back to normal speed. When I reinstalled, everything went slow again, so I'm fairly certain Reality 4 is the reason. Has anyone else had this issue?

Yes I have this problem as well, I'm sure I've seen someone else mention problems with lagging and speed since installing Reality.

I've picked up the same thing it's slows down DS4.7 loading anything thing it's lagging all over the place, and as soon as I get rid of the Reality .dll everything speeds up, so I can't really use it as it kills working in DS. it's like it's trying to convert every scene even if it's not being used. It's got to be a bug hope they sort it out soon !!!

I'm seeing this too. I'm trying to submit a bug over at preta3d.com's bug tracker but my account is having an issue. This needs to get posted so it can be looked at and (hopefully) fixed asap.
    People are seeing it all over the place. I saw it in a couple of other threads already. The usual advice is to go to help, shut down the Reality 4 plugin, restart studio, and don't restart reality until you're all ready to render.

DraagonStorm has a thread about his new batch texture converters and notes that Reality 4 is slowing them way down.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49518/

edited December 1969

The second set has a (2) next to and this is how its listed in Reality.

edited December 1969

The second set has a (2) next to and this is how its listed in Reality.

I would submit the bug with but try a unique name just to rule it out.

• DecoyboyDecoyboy Posts: 508
    edited December 1969

decoyboy said:
    Hello all,
    I've only been testing here and there on renders, but I noticed my "go to" light is gone in R4. Was the soft box light really removed, or am I just missing it? I love that light. I see the mesh light has the ability to make walls around it, but just doesn't seem the same to me.

I believe the new meshlights are intended to replace this. The softbox was just a fairly large meshlight with a prop enclosure (this has no effect on the light) and a snoot and gobo (turned off by default) positioned by default very close to the scene origin (on the assumption your character is in that position).

The new meshlighs have all these features plus morph parameters called Shadow Contol which simply change the size of the mesh (Very Soft = very large mesh). Select the meshlight and look in Parameters. All that remains to do to make it work the same as a softbox is to bring it closer to the subject.

I seen that. I just have to remember to do that now. I like Reality 4 so far, regardless.

• shanteshante Posts: 206
    edited December 1969

i am on a mac. bought reality 3 in october here. have not tried working with it yet for different reasons.
    out of work, i try to avoid spending too much money if not necessary. so, i need to know how different is reality 4 for mac 64 bit to reality 3?
    is the upgrade necessary and why?
    because i have difficulty wrapping my dead head around new technology....sometimes even around old technology!....how easy
    is either to learn to use?
    assuming there is a manual with it, how comprehensive is it and is it easy enough for old dude with damaged brain matter...or 3rd grade kid!....to follow?

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 2014

Interesting. Was testing it, the other night, on a pre-existing saved scene. I was trying to figure out if Flipmode's Night builder was compatible and... Sort of, but not very.

However, the scene had two female Genesis 2 characters in it, together with clothing and a single hand-held prop. They both showed up fine.

Maybe this issue is more to do with duplicated materials/textures?

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
  • MoussoMousso Posts: 238
    edited December 2014

I have different problems but I can load many figures without any issue

4 G2F with same textures. R4 lists them as Victoria6, Victoria 6(2), Victoria 6(3) etc

lux.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 249K
    5g2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 486K
    Post edited by Mousso on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited December 1969

That's very worrying. However, it doesn't seem to effect everyone—I haven't noticed any slow down on my system. I think it was Slosh who said it was taking about a minute to load a texture on G2, for example, but for me this operation only takes a few seconds as before.

Are you (and others with this problem) using a Mac? I'm using Win 7 64 bit. It would be useful to know if this is platform-dependent.

I also still have R2.5 installed. Looks like I'm going to still need it as R4 has a serious bug with Geo-Graft male gens and I do the occasional nude male work. They do not appear in the render at all and the map for the hip region is messed up. Strangely, a Geo-Graft I made to test my tutorial (on the back of G2M) renders perfectly. I don't know whether female gens work or not.
    ...I'm on Win7 and have both 2.5 and installed. Yes there is a lag in Studio 4.7 operations, though not as long as some say they are experiencing. I thought maybe it was due to the fact I have two versions of Reality installed which is why I asked the question. Anybody with just Reality4 installed experiencing the same?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,060
    edited December 1969

Well I get lag from Octane render loading all the textures anyway so did not notice Reality joining in possibly.
    The former I see the gear icon turn red left to right as is does it so Reality prob doing its thing at the same time.

edited December 1969

bug report for R4 slowing down DS4.7 here:
    http://preta3d.com/mantisbts/view.php?id=1447

if you add your $.02 to this report you will need to make an account with your REAL name attached to account or it will be deleted, the "login" name can be whatever you like, at least that is the word from Paolo on the DNA forums.

• Gothic ShadowGothic Shadow Posts: 35
    edited December 2014

How do you make really good renders with reality? When I do renders with reality all I can get is this. What am I doing wrong here?

reality_battle.png
    1000 x 1267 - 2M
    reality_test.png
    1000 x 1267 - 2M
    Post edited by Gothic Shadow on
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

For what it's worth, I'd say they're decent! If you want radical differences, you might have to experiment with more refined three-point (or seven) light set-ups and such, though.

edited December 2014

Incy said:
    How do you make really good renders with reality? When I do renders with reality all I can get is this. What am I doing wrong here?

To elaborate more on what Xenomorphine said: You need to approach lighting your scene the way a photographer does when lighting for a particular photo in the environment they're in. The concepts you learned to light a scene in 3Delight DO NOT APPLY to LuxRender, 3Delight "fakes" the physics of light, LuxRender does not. You should also not use the lights built into Studio, you will get mixed results, use the lights Reality adds to your props folder. While these are different from what your used to they are nearly identical to lighting tools found in actual 3D modeling programs.

I'd suggest 3 point lighting, when you get to the R4 interface change each light so it has it's own unique group name. You can name them whatever you like, just make them different.
    when the render starts in LuxRender you can adjust the gain of each light individually.
    Optionally once you do this you can go back into R4, apply those gain changes to each light, then go back an name them all to the same light group and this will speed up any loss to render time you made up when you broke the lights down into their own groups.

Do a google search for "3 Point Lighting", I'm sure the concepts are well documented on the web for me to go over them, here.

Another huge part of this is you can't just open the R4 interface, click render and walk way. You will need to adjust your surfaces and tweak them. For example: A gloss of just 10% overall on a figure surface can make or break a realistic looking figure that might appear made out of wax or cloth or not what you want.

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • Three WishesThree Wishes Posts: 471
    edited December 1969

Has anyone had success with OBJ's imported into DAZ Studio making the trip across to Reality 4?

Every once in awhile I'll whip up a little nurnie to add to a scene, or I'll be unhappy with the way an item of clothing is fitting so I'll move it into MODO to brush the polygons into place. The modified OBJ file I take back into DAZ has of course had its rigging removed, but it generally will have no problems taking the original item's texture.

I can render the added objects fine in 3Delight. But when I move the scene to Reality, they drop out of it, predictable as clockwork.

• Gothic ShadowGothic Shadow Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

Incy said:

To elaborate more on what Xenomorphine said: You need to approach lighting your scene the way a photographer does when lighting for a particular photo in the environment they're in. The concepts you learned to light a scene in 3Delight DO NOT APPLY to LuxRender, 3Delight "fakes" the physics of light, LuxRender does not. You should also not use the lights built into Studio, you will get mixed results, use the lights Reality adds to your props folder. While these are different from what your used to they are nearly identical to lighting tools found in actual 3D modeling programs.

I'd suggest 3 point lighting, when you get to the R4 interface change each light so it has it's own unique group name. You can name them whatever you like, just make them different.
    when the render starts in LuxRender you can adjust the gain of each light individually.
    Optionally once you do this you can go back into R4, apply those gain changes to each light, then go back an name them all to the same light group and this will speed up any loss to render time you made up when you broke the lights down into their own groups.

Do a google search for "3 Point Lighting", I'm sure the concepts are well documented on the web for me to go over them, here.

Another huge part of this is you can't just open the R4 interface, click render and walk way. You will need to adjust your surfaces and tweak them. For example: A gloss of just 10% overall on a figure surface can make or break a realistic looking figure that might appear made out of wax or cloth or not what you want.

Only a few lights I have work at all.(Even then they do not come up in LuxRender fully. As I can't really adjust them.) Then for some reason some clothing has lights on it. The slime for instance was read as a light in and of it self. At first the slime was set as glossy I changed it to a water because I thought it would look better. It still lit up and had a affect on all other lighting in the scene and turned them all off but the slime.(The slime though I didn't turn it fully off because it would of been just a black mass.) This kinda thing happens to me a good amount. Like the character if I did not turn off all the lights on her clothing. Her clothing would be all bright lights. Even on very low.

Do note I do understand the concepts of lighting and materials. Do also note I do not use the default lights in anyway. Is there a lighting kit I should get that works the best with LuxRender?

edited December 1969

dhtapp said:
    Has anyone had success with OBJ's imported into DAZ Studio making the trip across to Reality 4?

Every once in awhile I'll whip up a little nurnie to add to a scene, or I'll be unhappy with the way an item of clothing is fitting so I'll move it into MODO to brush the polygons into place. The modified OBJ file I take back into DAZ has of course had its rigging removed, but it generally will have no problems taking the original item's texture.

I can render the added objects fine in 3Delight. But when I move the scene to Reality, they drop out of it, predictable as clockwork.

It renders imported OBJ fine for me.
    edited December 1969

Incy said:
    Incy said:

Only a few lights I have work at all.(Even then they do not come up in LuxRender fully. As I can't really adjust them.) Then for some reason some clothing has lights on it. The slime for instance was read as a light in and of it self. At first the slime was set as glossy I changed it to a water because I thought it would look better. It still lit up and had a affect on all other lighting in the scene and turned them all off but the slime.(The slime though I didn't turn it fully off because it would of been just a black mass.) This kinda thing happens to me a good amount. Like the character if I did not turn off all the lights on her clothing. Her clothing would be all bright lights. Even on very low.

Do note I do understand the concepts of lighting and materials. Do also note I do not use the default lights in anyway. Is there a lighting kit I should get that works the best with LuxRender?

if you can't adjust the lights in LuxRender swich from Auto Linear to Linear in the Kernel drop down (in LuxRender)

Called over at RDNA has a lightset on ShareCG, but a few of them no longer work in R4, they were made for R2.5, that being said the majority of them still work (can't find the post though)
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/68284/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Reality-Light-System-for-DS-+-Reality-+-Luxrender

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

Incy said:

{snip} Then for some reason some clothing has lights on it. The slime for instance was read as a light in and of it self. At first the slime was set as glossy I changed it to a water because I thought it would look better. It still lit up and had a affect on all other lighting in the scene and turned them all off but the slime.(The slime though I didn't turn it fully off because it would of been just a black mass.) This kinda thing happens to me a good amount. Like the character if I did not turn off all the lights on her clothing. Her clothing would be all bright lights. Even on very low.

I posted about this earlier (Link). The problem is, a lot of 3D vendors have some Ambient dialed in to their material settings, just to lighten up the textures a bit. Now that Reality allows anything to be a light source, all those surfaces that have Ambient > 0 will get converted to light sources. You either have to set them all to Ambient = 0 in Studio before you bring up Reality, or you can do it in the Reality settings. Most of the time, I see surfaces with 5-10% Ambient. Anything that really is supposed to be a light emitter is usually a lot higher. I think there should be a setting for this in Reality to ignore Ambient settings below some set value, and not convert them to lights.
  • maxaradermaxarader Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

medeia said:

4 G2F with same textures. R4 lists them as Victoria6, Victoria 6(2), Victoria 6(3) etc

Do you duplicate them from first one or create new every time? Usually a problem with the first method.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited December 2014

...so basically what this means is instancing/cloning in Daz Studio is not supported.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 2014

maxarader said:
    medeia said:

Do you duplicate them from first one or create new every time? Usually a problem with the first method.. I load a new one every time. Duplicating (or cloning) nodes does not work for me but loading separately does.
    Post edited by Mousso on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    edited December 1969

Incy said:

{snip} Then for some reason some clothing has lights on it. The slime for instance was read as a light in and of it self. At first the slime was set as glossy I changed it to a water because I thought it would look better. It still lit up and had a affect on all other lighting in the scene and turned them all off but the slime.(The slime though I didn't turn it fully off because it would of been just a black mass.) This kinda thing happens to me a good amount. Like the character if I did not turn off all the lights on her clothing. Her clothing would be all bright lights. Even on very low.

I posted about this earlier (Link). The problem is, a lot of 3D vendors have some Ambient dialed in to their material settings, just to lighten up the textures a bit. Now that Reality allows anything to be a light source, all those surfaces that have Ambient > 0 will get converted to light sources. You either have to set them all to Ambient = 0 in Studio before you bring up Reality, or you can do it in the Reality settings. Most of the time, I see surfaces with 5-10% Ambient. Anything that really is supposed to be a light emitter is usually a lot higher. I think there should be a setting for this in Reality to ignore Ambient settings below some set value, and not convert them to lights.
    If you have a Material that is showing a Y in the Light Emitter column, select the material, select Modifiers and scroll down. You'll find a checkbox for Light Emitter. Uncheck it and you're good to go. :)
    edited December 2014

maxarader said:
    medeia said:

Do you duplicate them from first one or create new every time? Usually a problem with the first method.

I'm loading a saved scene subset, the amount of bugs in this plugin is not acceptable to me, we are paying to beta test this completely. It could take months to get this all sorted and it might never actually be done in the meantime the creator and Daz have my money.

Post edited by scorpio on
    edited December 1969

maxarader said:
    medeia said:

I'm loading a saved scene subset, the amount of bugs in this plugin is not acceptable to me, we are paying to beta test this completely. It could take months to get this all sorted and it might never actually be done in the meantime the creator and Daz have my money.

I don't think it will go as long as months, Paolo is very good about standing behind and supporting his work, but I do think the DS version has it's fair share of issues and truthfully its an ambitious project so why wouldn't it.
    Bugs can be reported here as I mentioned earlier, the more info on these issues the better the chance it can be worked out.
    Remember to use a real name if you register, the forum name can be whatever though.

http://preta3d.com/mantisbts/

edited December 1969

maxarader said:
    medeia said:

While I understand your frustration (I was the same way a few days ago) I still like the program. Sure, some things dont work thats important to make my workflow faster, but all in all R4 gives amazing texture results and I can tweak a lot more than in 2.5. And knowing pret-a-3d he is working hard on the solution right now.
    It must be hard to pinpoint these bugs because for many people R4 works flawlessly.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 2014

Silly question. If I register at that forum, Will I finally get a basic install guide for reality?

Tho reading some other reports about it slowing down the computer, even when it is not in use, and wiping the OS being the only uninstall option, has me quite hesitant to even go past the initial purchase and nothing else the day it was released.

I really do want to give Reality a try, it is just that I need to use this computer for 'SKYWARN', so wiping the OS to uninstall something is "NOT an Option" in the midst of winter here.

I've at least got LuxRender and Luxus installed, and am still reading the manuals on them. And they are NOT slowing down this computer. Perhaps I'll just let Reality sit on Daz3d's servers a tad longer.
    (EDIT)
    And that issue with duplicated items will be an epic issue here, as most of the stuff I make with Daz Studio primitives, is duplicated items. Like this mainframe done in 3delight.

CrayGen_01001naked19cam14_001mq.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 829K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on