Announcing Reality 4 {Commercial}

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited December 1969

...wish the Azure Skies and LDP2 skydomes would work.in 4.7. Never bought LDP-R as it required too much postwork to do what the original plugin could by itself.

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

It seems light emission was where I was having most problems... Turning that off helped a great deal (although, I could imagine some instances where I'd want that activated). Now I'm getting somewhere with getting the rich blackness and starlight of atmospheric sets like Flipmode's Solar System to show up with Reality. Hopefully, FM's Night Builder and Dreamlight's Rendersphere can now be used.

This has saved me a lot of money in getting new skydome equivalents! Seems like your advice finally makes them compatible with the product. :) Now I can use these techniques for skydomes and Bryce to create my own skies, I can finally take advantage of Reality's amazing artistic potential.

And a big thanks to those who explained what Bryce Lightning is.

All I can say is... experiment, experiment, experiment.

My biggest Reality headache was getting the textures over, but that hasn't been an issue for a while now. It takes some "unlearning" since Lux works more like real light; a lot of the lighting and shader tricks are not necessary.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...wish the Azure Skies and LDP2 skydomes would work.in 4.7. Never bought LDP-R as it required too much postwork to do what the original plugin could by itself.

The same process should work with any skydome. I only defaulted to Dreamlight's because it was the easiest to experiment with.

If you'd like, I can take a stab with a different skydome. Maybe one that comes with an environment set?

edited December 1969

....as LDP2 (along with Azure Skies) was never updated for 4.x, the skydomes do not load. Pity because they are very nice ones.

Prior to Daz 4.x, LDP2 was my go to light set as UE required too much in the way of memory/CPU resources and I was still working in 32 bit at the time with only a duo core processor.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ....as LDP2 (along with Azure Skies) was never updated for 4.x, the skydomes do not load. Pity because they are very nice ones.

Prior to Daz 4.x, LDP2 was my go to light set as UE required too much in the way of memory/CPU resources and I was still working in 32 bit at the time with only a duo core processor.

Ah, sorry, I missed the 4.7 part. I follow now.

You may still be able to use the images from those skydomes. If they are laid out in a standard way you could apply them to an existing skydome model or use them as an IBL?

edited December 2014

One more (I promise this is my last)...

Flipmode's Top of the World Easy Environment.

One camera, one light source (Sun), Sky Box 1.

This skybox took a little more tinkering because it isn't one texture.

All the materials to the skybox were set to Matte. Translucency was turned on. The translucency texture was modified from the default to "Use Diffuse Map." Light emission (which defaults to On) was turned off.

Inside Lux, both "sun" and "sky" were left at their default Gain of 1. Tone mapping is set at Contrast 8.6596, preserve luminosity. This wasn't a precise setting, just my nudging the slider along until I liked the results.

Image was rendered for 30 minutes to 135 threads, 498% efficiency on a Dell laptop.

To my eye, the skybox results are pretty close to the results I would expect in a native DS render. I did not modify the materials of the foreground, left them at the default that Reality came up with.

Skydome-Reality-Example3.jpg
    750 x 394 - 33K
    Post edited by Jason Galterio on
    edited December 1969

...I could turn them into an IBL, but again, I would lose the cast shadows. I tried parenting a skydome image to a large translucent sphere primitive, however it would not line up correctly and had to be manually rescaled (which distorted elements like clouds) depending on the size of the set used.

Basically what I need is a sky that can be seen in the final rendered image and a "Sun" that casts shadows like the RL one does.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I could turn them into an IBL, but again, I would lose the cast shadows. I tried parenting a skydome image to a large translucent sphere primitive, however it would not line up correctly and had to be manually rescaled (which distorted elements like clouds) depending on the size of the set used.

Basically what I need is a sky that can be seen in the final rendered image and a "Sun" that casts shadows like the RL one does.

I am pretty sure you can get those results. I don't have good examples right now since I only rendered default scenes. My laptop isn't really designed to handle the rendering portion, I generally just use it to compose scenes.

When I get home I will pop a figure into the "Top of the World" scene and re-render. That would be a better example of the shadows and such. Plus I can render it at a larger size.

edited December 1969

...could you put a couple objects in to cat shdope.

Keep in mind though, I don't have any of the Easy Environments sets. Would be nice to see one of the earlier ones you did using a skydome from LDP-R.

I do have skydomes from both Cloud 9 and Skies of Economy as well as individual ones that came with other scenery sets.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

According to a posting on the Reality Forum, some Reality 4 users are noticing a lot of materials set as light emitters when they should not be. This is probably because some vendors are in the habit of dialing in a little Ambient, perhaps 5-10%, to lighten up the item's textures in Studio or Poser. I generally just turn these to 0 in DS, but it is something to watch out for. You need to find all the surfaces Reality 4 sees as light emitters and decide whether they really are supposed to be light emitters or not. Just an FYI. Of course, if you WANT glow-in-the-dark people, be my guest. Anybody got a Chernobyl 3D model? :lol:

edited December 1969

Forgive my ignorance, but what is shdope? I don't recognize that one.

I have a scene that I was planning to render tonight anyway. It might suit your purposes since I was intentionally working with the shadows to see how they would turn out. Forest Superior, Dreamlight skydome and one sun light source.

Thanks for the heads up Slimer. I didn't think to check for more emitters, but I will be now.

• Vertigo789Vertigo789 Posts: 74
    edited December 1969

How do you use depth of field in this version? I recall in 2.5, you could select an object in Daz, then when you opened Reality, you could press the "set focus" button to focus on that object, but that seems to be missing here.

• SilverhurstSilverhurst Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

You can always leave the background out and render with an alpha channel, then add a background sky or environment photo in Photoshop or your image editor of preference. I do this quite often, and as long as your sun direction matches the background image, it usually produces great results. I especially like this method for forest scenes to get realistic vegetation or for sunset/sunrise scenes.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    edited December 1969

According to a posting on the Reality Forum, some Reality 4 users are noticing a lot of materials set as light emitters when they should not be. This is probably because some vendors are in the habit of dialing in a little Ambient, perhaps 5-10%, to lighten up the item's textures in Studio or Poser. I generally just turn these to 0 in DS, but it is something to watch out for. You need to find all the surfaces Reality 4 sees as light emitters and decide whether they really are supposed to be light emitters or not. Just an FYI. Of course, if you WANT glow-in-the-dark people, be my guest. Anybody got a Chernobyl 3D model? :lol:

Those materials will show up in LuxRender as a Light Group, "LEM:whatever". You can just set them to zero when you are adjusting your lights, which will effectively turn them off. :)
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 2014

Out of interest, in the light settings, what's the difference between gain (or it could be glare - not able to get access to check it, right now) amd efficiency? There doesn't seem to be an inication of what each has jurisdiction over.

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:

Those materials will show up in LuxRender as a Light Group, "LEM:whatever". You can just set them to zero when you are adjusting your lights, which will effectively turn them off. :)

You can do that, but you would be wasting a lot of render time with lights that you don't need.

edited December 1969

Now I'm intrigued at whether turning human figures into light sources would make them act like a walking nuclear explosion or just slightly glow. :)

edited December 1969

...thinking Doctor Manhattan?

edited December 1969

Actually, glow effects were incrediby neat to play around with applying to clothes and figures, alike, in Second Life, back when it first allowed for them. If we can do that here, it'll get me back into experimenting with them for fun. :)

Also, ever since I found out about converting stuff to light sources, I've been wanting to make my own Reality lightsabre renders, too.

• Vertigo789Vertigo789 Posts: 74
    edited December 2014

Using hybrid GPU acceleration with a bidirectional configuration (doing an interior scene) results in a faster render, but a lot of fireflies that just get worse and worse as the render goes on. Meanwhile, using no acceleration results in a slower render, but no fireflies. Is the hybrid method simply experimental at this stage?

EDIT: Well now I've noticed fireflies even without GPU acceleration. Switched to Mono Directional, and that solved the issue.

Post edited by Vertigo789 on
    edited December 1969

...not sure if this question has been asked, do we need to uninstall any previous version of reality before installing ver. 4?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...not sure if this question has been asked, do we need to uninstall any previous version of reality before installing ver. 4?

No, you can have both versions installed.

edited December 1969

...how will Daz 4.7 know which one to use?

• TenmaruTenmaru Posts: 105
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

You are the one to command. Out of Render menu you choose either 'Reality Render' which is Reality 2.5 or 'Reality Render Editor' which is Reality 4.
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,397
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Not for Studio but yes for Poser

Quote from here http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?94886-Attention-Poser-Users-Read-before-Installing-Reality-4

Attention Poser Users Read before Installing Reality 4
    In preparing for Reality 4, I just wanted to let the Poser users know one thing that is needed before upgrading:

You need to un-install Reality 3 before installing Reality 4.

To do so simply delete the Reality folder inside the "addons" folder of Poser. You need to do that before running the Reality installer. Unlike version 3, Reality 4 has a fully automated installed.

Just make sure that you remove the Reality folder before running the Reality 4 installer.

Cheers.

edited December 1969

...OK extacted the .zip. to my desktop and it created a folder named "Reality_DS-w64".

In that folder is the .exe along with several other items including a bunch of dll files and a folder titled "Assets" Where do these go?

I thought maybe it would only have the .exe and possibly a readme. This is the type of stuff I do not understand.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Tenmaru said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

You are the one to command. Out of Render menu you choose either 'Reality Render' which is Reality 2.5 or 'Reality Render Editor' which is Reality 4.

Ok, I am glad I am not the only one confused here.

I have tried installing Reality 4 twice now. It doesn't ever show up in DAZ. Only Reality 2.5. Under Render Tab I do not get an additional Reality Render Editor. Just the basic Render Editor which doesn't load Reality 4.

I also tried altering the Install path thinking it would overwrite 2.5 directory in the DAZ/Plugins folder. No luck. In comparing the folders, I did notice that 2.5 has Reality_2.0.dylib file. I do not see a corresponding file for 4.0 though.

Can someone explain the process to install Reality 4 properly on a MAC with DAZ 4.7? If not to have both 2.5 and 4.0 co-exist I would be fine with knowing how to completely remove 2.5 and just have 4.0 working.

Thanks.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,397
    edited December 2014

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK extacted the .zip. to my desktop and it created a folder named "Reality_DS-w64".

In that folder is the .exe along with several other items including a bunch of dll files and a folder titled "Assets" Where do these go?

I thought maybe it would only have the .exe and possibly a readme. This is the type of stuff I do not understand.

The exe is an installer run it and follow the prompts and it should put everything in place

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,368
    edited December 1969

It seems to me that the Reality 4 is beset with bugs, I don't feel it was ready for release the only official answer to problems is 'do a bug report' - I don't pay for a product only to find I've got to spend a lot of time making out bug reports. As this is my first go with Reality so far I am not impressed.
    One of the reasons I bought it was because of reports of good customer support unfortunately that doesn't any longer appear to be happening.

edited December 1969

Rendered over night. Forest Superior plus Dreamlight's LDR-P skydome and one Sun. I think this demonstrated the shadows fairly well. It's a little cluttered around ground, so the shadows might be a little harder to spot.

No post processing done.

Forest_1.jpg
    1500 x 789 - 249K