Announcing Reality 4 {Commercial}

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,724
    edited December 1969

WOOHOO! Thanks for the info Paolo and thanks for the great price for existing users, that is fantastic to hear!! Looking forward to trying the new features!!

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
    edited December 1969

Thank you Michael, glad that you like it.
    Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited November 2014

Pret-A-3D said:

I bought Reality 1.25 from Daz, but I upgraded to 2.0 through your site. Daz only shows 1.25 in my product library. If the same upgrade price applies, it may be a moot point.

In that case you can upgrade from either place. Your choice.

Cheers.
    ...excellent, Daz only shows Reality 1.25 for me as well even though I upgraded to 2.5 through the your site.

,...and thank you for the excellent upgrade price.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • bad4ubad4u Posts: 684
    edited December 1969

I loved Reality 1 for a long time, and after a period I rarely did any render, now with a PC upgrade just fell in love with Reality 2 again, which was sleeping on my hdd since it was released. Results were so pleasing from the beginning that they gave me enough incentive to even upload my first two images to DAZ gallery just few weeks ago.

Never regret the purchase of Reality and its 2.x upgrade, and I'll jump on that new version as soon as it's available too - especially at that great upgrade price (once again!).

Thanks for these great news and good luck on this awesome release - just in time for christmas :D

edited December 1969

Thank you for your continued support bad4u and for your kind words.

The new Automatic Presets are going to give even more great results out of the box.

Cheers.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

Looking forward to your release Paolo! For sure sir!

edited December 1969

Thank you RAMWolff, much appreciated.

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

*squee!* The more I've tinkered with Reality, the more I love it. I'm, tremendously excited for upgrading both my DS and Poser versions. Looking forward to mesh lights with Snoot and Gobo!!

The press release says, "Improved conversion of Poser materials." Can you elaborate on this at all?

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,971
    edited December 1969

Been waiting and hoping for this for a while, so happy to see that it will be in my cart in 12 days time! :)
    Good work on getting a version across so many variant systems!

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,699
    edited December 1969

Ah, found the thread again.
    Reality is, especially when you consider its price, a very complete and intuitive plugin!
    I am most happy with the SSS and also feeling spoiled with the automatic presets :D
    Great work Paolo and Kim, I'm really looking forward to the launch!

• patboudrumpatboudrum Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

Hi Paolo,

I would like to know if we will be able to take advantage of the hybrid portion of Luxrender (CPU/GPU rendering) with Reality 4.

Thank you!

edited December 1969

*squee!* The more I've tinkered with Reality, the more I love it. I'm, tremendously excited for upgrading both my DS and Poser versions. Looking forward to mesh lights with Snoot and Gobo!!

The press release says, "Improved conversion of Poser materials." Can you elaborate on this at all?

I wish I could. In the span of several months I made so many changes that it's hard to remember. But I remember revising how some procedural textures are converted. There are a lot of changes in the texture editor, which is not faster, leaner and more precise.

There are things like a single click to create an image map texture and many other usability improvements.
    Also, the conversion from one material type to another, or from one texturetype to another, has improved dramatically.

Thanks.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Paolo! Thank you SO MUCH for all your hard work! :)

You have constantly amazed me with your dedication to your product and excellent customer service! :)

Question: There are several shaders I have in DAZ Studio that I know will either work differently or not at all in Reality. Is there anyway to translate the shaders into Reality. I am looking mainly for a way to translate the replicating patterns in the shaders into Reality. I haven't really tried it yet but was wondering what pointers you could offer me.

Thanks again! :)

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Been waiting and hoping for this for a while, so happy to see that it will be in my cart in 12 days time! :)
    Good work on getting a version across so many variant systems!

Thank you Simon,much appreciated.
    BTW, this version has also support for international characters including multi-byte ones like Japanese and Chinese :)

Cheers.

edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    Reality is, especially when you consider its price, a very complete and intuitive plugin!
    I am most happy with the SSS and also feeling spoiled with the automatic presets :D

And thank you Esther for helping with the testing.

Just that everyone knows, we had 32 beta builds, starting with some really rough ones. Lots of crashes and lots of bugs that have been ironed out one by one. Being a beta tester is not a walk in the park and I am lucky to have so many dedicated people like Esther who have reported bugs and patiently tested build after build.

Thank you very much for your help.

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:

Paolo! Thank you SO MUCH for all your hard work! :)

You have constantly amazed me with your dedication to your product and excellent customer service! :)

Question: There are several shaders I have in DAZ Studio that I know will either work differently or not at all in Reality. Is there anyway to translate the shaders into Reality. I am looking mainly for a way to translate the replicating patterns in the shaders into Reality. I haven't really tried it yet but was wondering what pointers you could offer me.

Thanks again! :)

Thank you very much for your kind words.

About your questions, I would need to see the exact shaders but I think that most effects can be replicated or surpassed by using the new texture editor. With Reality 2 we had only one type of texture, the image map. With Reality 4 we have many more, including things like frantal noise, bricks, cloud, distorted noise etc. There is also much more control on tiling and there are parameters to control the offset.

Lastly, you can mix texture together at any level of complexity.

Thanks again.

edited December 1969

patbou said:
    Hi Paolo,

I would like to know if we will be able to take advantage of the hybrid portion of Luxrender (CPU/GPU rendering) with Reality 4.

Great question.
    Yes, there are two GPU options available: Hybrid and "Pure GPU". The latter is also known as SLGRender in Lux and it uses a more aggressive approach to GPU-based renderer. It's a click of the mouse in Reality 4.

Cheers.

• johannswartjohannswart Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Hi Paolo

First off. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I bought Reality 2.5 and have been loving it to death. I make use of the trial and error method with your software and have gotten amazing results. I am so stoked about Reality 4, I honestly cannot wait. I bought mine through Renderocity, so I'm really hoping they offer the upgrade, but even if they don't, I am willing to pay for the software. I wanted to ask about the GPU rendering option, but someone jumped in and you answered that question. I can now finally make use of my GPU. One question still looming about GPU rendering. When trying to use SLG rendering in 2.5, I usually get errors relating to materials. This is fixable by finding and apparently renaming or changing the file types. I just stuck with CPU rendering as that just starts getting a bit nuts at the end. My point / question is, is this fixed in Reality 4 or is this a Luxrender thing. Keep up the brilliant work. You deserve to be knighted by the queen.
    :cheese:

• steve-2164262steve-2164262 Posts: 0
    edited November 2014

patbou said:

Yes, there are two GPU options available: Hybrid and "Pure GPU". The latter is also known as SLGRender in Lux and it uses a more aggressive approach to GPU-based renderer. It's a click of the mouse in Reality 4.

I was very happy with Reality 2 but couldn't get good results with that 'aggressive GPU' so I switched to OTOY's Octane and was both blown away with the speed but disappointed with the Daz plugin... (What no pause, save and return to a render? Plus the numerous bugs.)

So, I've been watching your development of Reality 4 with keen interest. Well done :-)

Simply, I'd like to know if I'll get as good and as easy results with the SLGRender as you have illustrated with the CPU and CPU/GPU? What will the interface look like?

Post edited by steve-2164262 on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2014

I bought Reality 1 here at Daz3d.com and Reality 2 over at PretA3D.com
    where am I buying the update for Reality 4 from in this scenario?

oh and OMG!!!! Freekin' excited as $@(#& for this!

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,699
    edited December 1969

Pret-A-3D said:
    Estroyer said:

And thank you Esther for helping with the testing.

Just that everyone knows, we had 32 beta builds, starting with some really rough ones. Lots of crashes and lots of bugs that have been ironed out one by one. Being a beta tester is not a walk in the park and I am lucky to have so many dedicated people like Esther who have reported bugs and patiently tested build after build.

Thank you very much for your help.

Aww, my pleasure!

edited December 1969

One question still looming about GPU rendering. When trying to use SLG rendering in 2.5, I usually get errors relating to materials. This is fixable by finding and apparently renaming or changing the file types. I just stuck with CPU rendering as that just starts getting a bit nuts at the end. My point / question is, is this fixed in Reality 4 or is this a Luxrender thing. Keep up the brilliant work. You deserve to be knighted by the queen.
    :cheese:

First, let me thank you for your kind words. I'm glad that you like Reality. Second, you will have the option to buy the upgrade from my site in case Renderosity will not offer it, so you will be covered in any case.

About SLG, that program is now rolled into LuxRender and Reality 4 provides access to that render mode with an option that is called "Pure GPU". When you select that render option the materials issue goes away and you render inside LuxRender but with the power of SLG. It's a bit experimental so results vary based on the GPU, OS and drivers, but it's a usable option for many.

Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

steve said:
    Simply, I'd like to know if I'll get as good and as easy results with the SLGRender as you have illustrated with the CPU and CPU/GPU? What will the interface look like?

The interface is LuxRender, the SLGRender mode is just an option for LuxRender. Basically the developers rolled SLG into LuxRender.
    GPU rendering cannot provide the same level of physics-accuracy of the CPU, not at this time. As with any technology, things will improve over time but, for the best realism, CPU rendering is still king (or queen :)).
    But it's definitely a useful option to have.

Cheers.

edited December 1969

I bought Reality 1 here at Daz3d.com and Reality 2 over at PretA3D.com
    where am I buying the update for Reality 4 from in this scenario?

oh and OMG!!!! Freekin' excited as $@(#& for this!

You'll have to option to do either one or the other. Your choice.

Cheers.

• edited November 2014

Are the Preset a progression of ACSEL or is it something entirely different?

P.S Keep up the amazing work, love it!

Post edited by dharktan_6b1f8f2f65 on
  • johannswartjohannswart Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Thanks Paolo

Clears things up perfectly. :-)

edited December 1969

Dharktan said:
    Are the Preset a progression of ACSEL or is it something entirely different?

They are the new version of ACSEL, with a friendlier name and easier User Interface. ACSEL is the underlying technology.

Thank you for the kind words.

• animajik_6696dda723animajik_6696dda723 Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

How well will Reality 4 work for animation work? Mainly rendering image sequences
    Any speed improvements in this area? Is this product good only for stills?
    I will most likely buy it in Dec., but what will "sell it" for me will be it's usefulness in animation work.

Thanks in advance.

-AniMajik

edited December 1969

AniMajik said:
    How well will Reality 4 work for animation work? Mainly rendering image sequences

Animations are usually rendered as image sequences. At least that's how it's done in the professional world. Pixar, DreamWorks and every animation studio use image sequences. There are too many drawbacks to rendering to movie clips to consider that as a viable option.

There are no differences I the way Reality 4 renders animations, compared to the previous version. I'm planning on doing some optimizations I the future, but for this version we use the same strategy. Speed is depending on your machine. When working I animations it's necessary to use fast machines. It might be that the slgrender mode can help.

Cheers.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,206
    edited November 2014

I did take a big Reality break due to it's lack of SSS capabilities and the reliance of Gen6 skins on those capabilities. I had my fun with 3Delight for a while and I think I will in the future but nonetheless, I've loved Reality from the day I bought it and I can't wait for the new version. It's time to get back to Reality for me ;D It has been the biggest game-changer for my own personal CG experience.

I do feel very sorry that I won't be able to get it right away, I'm out of money until the second week of December - the longest two weeks I'll see for a while I am sure ^^

Still, I hope the release will be as successful as it is in Paolo's wildest dreams :D

One question I have been wondering about for a while is what will happen to old material presets we might have left from the Reality 2.0 days. Will the new Reality still read those? I did create and save presets for over 300 V4 characters that still might come in handy :D

Question: There are a couple of limitations of Reality 2.0 that I'd like to know if they are fixed in 4.0. It does not handle meshes that have been converted to sub-D in Daz Studio.

I'm not sure if that's the problem, but if memory serves me right you have to manually set the right SubD level for the viewport for Reality to pick it up correctly.

Post edited by Barubary on