Announcing Reality 4 {Commercial}

Comments

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

Just need to know whether to download the ‘archive’ or ‘installer’ version of Lux (or both, but that would make me wonder why it isn’t just a single file).

The archive is a ZIP file, and the installer is an .EXE, take your pick, they both do the same thing. The installer is easier to use if you are not familiar with installing your own software.

Ahhh... I guess the zipped version is just there to take up less space, then.

Helps a lot! Shall now install that, purchase Reality and hope everything gets along well!

• AmansaAmansa Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Been trying to install this now for a few hours and all I'm getting when trying to run the .exe is this : "error 0xc000007b".
    Have tried redownloading several times, but it keeps giving this error

edited December 1969

Aaand after installing... How do you find out the serial number to register it with? :)

So close!

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 2014

Not a good start for me. I got the upgrades from the place where I bought the originals (the site name begins with an R and ends with a Y), but the registration dialog refuses to accept the serial numbers, reporting ER09. That's for the Poser version anyway. Haven't tried DS yet but I'm guessing it'll be the same old same old.

I vaguely remember having this problem with a previous version of Reality. So beware. The reality is that you may have problems upgrading.

Sorry, but that's a black mark right from the off.

Update: Yes, as suspected - the upgrade serial number is not accepted for the DS version either.

BIG BIG BIG Black Mark!

Post edited by acanthis on
  • Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

I upgraded from the author site (where I bought 2.5 after buying 1.0 here) and had no problems. Serial and order number accepted with no problem.

As for where is the serial number... it depends where you purchased. I would think that if you purchased here, your serial number should be listed in My Account > Serial Numbers.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Aaand after installing... How do you find out the serial number to register it with? :)

So close!

If you bought it here, the serial number is in your account on the "Serial numbers" tab.
    Install and activation worked without issue for me.
    Ciao
    TD

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

I bought Reality in November at Rend. How do I go about getting the free upgrade?
    Gus

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Gusf1 said:
    I bought Reality in November at Rend. How do I go about getting the free upgrade?
    Gus
    I don't think there is a free upgrade, just a discounted one.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,921
    edited December 1969

There is no free upgrade unless you bought it and it specifically stated you get one but I doubt that is the case. It does have a reasonable upgrade price.

edited December 1969

Gusf1 said:
    Gus

Contrary to the other statements, there is indeed a free upgrade IF you bought it during November 2014. From the Preta3d website:

"If you have purchased Reality in November 2014 the upgrade will be free. Just click on the upgrade button and follow instructions."

So just go to the place of purchase and enter your info.

Ciao
    TD

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,921
    edited December 1969

This is the DAZ store, we were assuming was going to purchase from here otherwise would of posted in his forum or RDNA forum or Rendo forum.

edited December 2014

Frank0314 said:
    This is the DAZ store, we were assuming was going to purchase from here otherwise would of posted in his forum or RDNA forum or Rendo forum.

The free upgrade offer for those that purchased in November applies to all stores that I know of. If you actually check the first post in this thread you would see that it states (Emphasis mine):

Pricing and availability

- Reality 4 will be released on December 1st 2014.
    - There will be two versions of Reality 4:
    * Reality 4 – Poser Edition
    * Reality 4 – DAZ Studio Edition
    - For each edition, the price for new users will be just $49.95. Special discount pricing will run for a limited time at the launch of the product.
    - Reality will be available for purchase at this site and also through DAZ 3D
    - All previous users of Reality 1, 2, and 3 will be able to upgrade to Reality 4 for just $19.95.
    - Registered customers who bought Reality in November will be able to upgrade for free.
    - Reality works with Poser 9/Pro 2012 and above and DAZ Studio 4.6 and above.
    - Reality runs on both OS X and Windows.

Post edited by thd777 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,060
    edited December 1969

I bought it not expecting an animation option and got all excited when I saw one but sadly it does not seem to work or save even changing image and scene names and setting a limit value.
    Deciding not to use after it creates a file that crashes Luxrender is ok if I do not pick it, the hashtags in name seem the issue.
    Also I can render the default size easy and was quite impressed but increasing dimensions also seemed to cause crash issues.
    I am guessing instances are not supported either but unsure as the scene I tried crashed increasing size after initially loading so may not be reason, from what I saw of the cancelled blurry render the instances seemed to work.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited December 1969

Hi, everyone.

Just a small heads up, especially for those who are new to Reality/Luxrender. If downloading and installing Luxrender for the first time, the first option presented on the Lux site is to download the Luxrender version 1.4RC. Do not. Scroll down to the area where you will see the options for downloading version 1.3 Stable. This is the one you want.

Version 1.4RC is a beta version that is currently not quite ready for primetime and will probably cause problems with Reality. If you have already installed Luxrender version 1.4RC, uninstall it and download and install version 1.3 instead.

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794
    edited December 2014

Just bought the both DS and Poser R4. When running the Reality Installer I get a weird message, "ould not find C:/users/xxxx/AppData/Local/Temp/QZTEMP/assets/RealityLicense.txt" Anyone know what this is about? I've never had a problem installing any versions of Reality before.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

EDIT: ehhh...got it working. I had to manually add this in my temp folder. Weird. First time I've ever encountered such message. Perhaps it's because I'm still using Vista OS.

Reality_install.jpg
    516 x 147 - 31K
    Post edited by ThatGuy on
  • SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

SixDs said:
    Hi, everyone.

Just a small heads up, especially for those who are new to Reality/Luxrender. If downloading and installing Luxrender for the first time, the first option presented on the Lux site is to download the Luxrender version 1.4RC. Do not. Scroll down to the area where you will see the options for downloading version 1.3 Stable. This is the one you want.

Version 1.4RC is a beta version that is currently not quite ready for primetime and will probably cause problems with Reality. If you have already installed Luxrender version 1.4RC, uninstall it and download and install version 1.3 instead.

Agreed. Also note that pure GPU rendering is still experimental. The Luxrender Wiki also states that pure GPU rendering can only use simple materials. That being said, there's nothing stopping you from having multiple Luxrender versions installed. You tell it which Luxrender to use in the Reality window. Hybrid CPU/GPU rendering might produce 2-3x speedup, according to the Wiki.
    http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/GPU
  • RhaleRhale Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

Paolo, why does the negative displacement amount cap at -0.9? Is this a bug?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,060
    edited December 1969

Ah I installed that latest Luxrender as mine was quite old and did not work with Reality at all, just crashed, I will try that stable one later, busy rendering at moment.

• peteVaultpeteVault Posts: 308
    edited December 1969

This is a quick "down and dirty" render. Two lights...one IDL and 1 spot. No postwork with the exception of converting .png to jpeg

Test1.jpg
    720 x 480 - 67K
    edited December 1969

SixDs said:
    Hi, everyone.

Agreed. Also note that pure GPU rendering is still experimental. The Luxrender Wiki also states that pure GPU rendering can only use simple materials. That being said, there's nothing stopping you from having multiple Luxrender versions installed. You tell it which Luxrender to use in the Reality window. Hybrid CPU/GPU rendering might produce 2-3x speedup, according to the Wiki.

Sadly...I have never had any luck using GPU acceleration with Reality.

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,699
    edited December 2014

pete.c44 said:
    SixDs said:
    Hi, everyone.

You need quite a good GPU card for that to work and also one that supports it :)
    I have a GTX 780 and CPU rendering (with a 4770K) is still the best option for me as well

Post edited by Sylvan on
  • ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794
    edited December 2014

when installing Poser's version, why does the installer say it is Studio edition? Is it the same installer?

Edit - Issue resolved.

Post edited by ThatGuy on
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    pete.c44 said:
    SixDs said:
    Hi, everyone.

You need quite a good GPU card for that to work and also one that supports it :)
    I have a GTX 780 and CPU rendering (with a 4770K) is still the best option for me as well
    The other option is to use spare computers to "gang up" on it. You can install Luxrender on any number of computers. Start a Luxconsole on each one, then tell your main Luxrender window where to find the slaves on the Network tab. It's a similar process to network rendering with Bryce. I have an 8-core Linux machine I fire up when doing Luxrender. That almost doubles my throughput. The only downside to that is the noise...

edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    pete.c44 said:
    SixDs said:
    Hi, everyone.

I have a GTX 680...it works well with Octane...maybe Reality is more demanding.

edited December 1969

Another note from the Lux Wiki: For pure GPU rendering, the whole scene has to fit in the video card's memory. For the hybrid approach, I believe it does not.

edited December 1969

thd777 said:
    If you bought it here, the serial number is in your account on the "Serial numbers" tab.
    Install and activation worked without issue for me.
    Ciao
    TD

That'll teach me for not looking at all my account options... Didn't know it even existed!

Well, I'm now a user of Reality and was encountering a frustrating time with lighting, but then realised typical skydomes get in the way... Does anyone have a link for the user guide for Reality 4?

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

pete.c44 said:
    I have a GTX 680...it works well with Octane...maybe Reality is more demanding.
    Luxrender uses hybrid GPU/CPU rendering. The reason it can be slower in some cases is because the GPU has to keep 'talking' to the mainboard for most of the data. The benefit to this is you can have much bigger scenes, since you're less limited by VRAM, the downside is it's not nearly as quick.

With Luxrender, your CPU is still going to be doing the majority of the work while your GPU fills in the blanks. When doing a pure GPU render, it's comparable with octane for speed. The downside, of course, is you're severely limited on what textures you're using. But that limitation applies to Octane too.

• Melissa ConwayMelissa Conway Posts: 590
    edited December 1969

Argh. Registration form allows me to type in everything BUT the registration number. No cut/paste option. Ctrl + v ignores me. Anyone else experience this and find a solution?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 2014

Weird. It's installed but never asked me to register it. Shows green in the About Plugins so I assume it's OK. I check in the notations below and it is indeed Version 4.0.2.85 64 bit!

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

I discovered the reason for my GPU problems...me....I didn't' have the correct version of Lux Render installed.