Announcing Reality 4 {Commercial}

Comments

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

thanks HeraldOfFire, I look forward to clarification as well. I figure that was simpler then that staff. Reflectivity location map (similar to the skirt), with a 2-tone ambient and diffuse spiral band. it changes color from light aria to being in shadow. Hence the name "Staff Of Render Hell". lol

Lets stick with cloth and mirrors, that is exactly what I want for a few outfits. Just for the coolness of it. :cheese:

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 172
    edited December 1969

Pret-A-3D said:
    There is also an easy way of making things work with IBL and shadows. This technique depends on the IBL map so it's not always applicable, but when it is, it leads to great results.
    You can add your own floor prop to the scene. It's as simple as that. Add something that fits the scene. As a real piece of geometry it will provide the surface for the shadow. You will see that technique in action in one of the promos for Reality 4. Remember to look for the orange car :)

Cheers.

Thank you for pointing that out.

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
    edited December 1969

On that note, using a map, to determine reflective areas of a surface. Like the skirt in the background of that render (former post).
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/659628/
    Will that work the same or differently with reality?

I'm not giving a map of "What" to reflect, it is a Specular map, to determine "Where" the reflective areas are. (EDIT, in the default Daz surface shader, possibly others as well).

Yes, that is a specular map and it works the same in Reality. The brightness values indicate how much light is reflected at that point in the surface. For example, a brightness of 50% ( rgb 127,127,127) will reflect 50% of the light that falls on that point.

Cheers.

• DecoyboyDecoyboy Posts: 508
    edited December 1969

maybe i missed it, but so you have to have Reality installed for the update to work? I recently had to do a factory reset to my laptop, and i have not installed Reality 2.5 again, but i was wondering if i could just wait for 4 to come out and install the update only. Or do i have to install 2.5 first and then the update to 4?

edited December 1969

Hi decoboy.
    No, you don't have to have Reality 2 installed. Reality 4 is a brand new program that has no shared file with the previous version.

Cheers.

• DecoyboyDecoyboy Posts: 508
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your quick response. I will hold off on installing then and wait 4 hours for Reality 4 to come out. Thank you again for the help and the great program!

edited December 1969

Absolutely. My pleasure.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

Product is now live in the store. Upgrade pricing is correct. Got it! :-)

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I've only had the new Reality 4 for less than an hour, but I'm already loving it. The material conversions are amazing, even improving greatly upon the already good Reality 2 conversions. It's backwards compatible with the R2 lighting presets as well, which is handy because for some reason I can't seem to locate the new presets yet (anyone want to lend a hand in that area?)

It handles volumes brilliantly too. Easily the most complex of substances, Reality 4 gives me a solid base to work with for future volume editing. So, hats off to Pret-a-3D for this latest plugin. It's worth every last penny and more, and was well worth the long wait. It's clear a lot of hard work went into this, and it's answered practically all my Luxrender prayers in one neat little package.

• ziggie_a138bf4808ziggie_a138bf4808 Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Bought Reality 4 DS from DAZ couple hours ago... Basically just an exe file... NO installation instructions.. NO Reality manual..

Currently useless... what is going on..?

• subluminalsubluminal Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

I have the manual. I ran the installer exe file, and it's in the Reality folder in my Program Files.

• MoussoMousso Posts: 238
    edited December 2014

@ziggie
    When you run the exe there are 3 install paths. The first one is the most important. You have to install Reality where your Studio exe is (Program files/Daz3D/DazStudio4). The other two (for props/lights etc) can be installed wherever you want them.
    Run Reality from Studio and you can find the manual in Reality/Help. Its in PDF.

Post edited by Mousso on
    edited December 2014

I click the exe file all I get is.. error 0xc000007b.. and would have expected at least some basic installation instructions in the Reality 4 DS zip file..

Update: Redownloaded from DAZ... exe file is running now.. sighs... now have the options and paths to install to etc.

Post edited by ziggie_a138bf4808 on
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 2014

Well then. Seeing as you need to install Reality, to get to the help file that explains the process of installing reality. :ohh:

What should be installed first, LuxRender, or Reality?

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited December 2014

ziggie said:
    I click the exe file all I get is.. error 0xc000007b.. and would have expected at least some basic installation instructions in the Reality 4 DS zip file..

Update: Redownloaded from DAZ... exe file is running now.. sighs... now have the options and paths to install to etc.Sounds like you had a corrupted download. Unlike other types of files, ZIP's don't necessarily throw up an error message when they have corrupted data.

Well then. Seeing as you need to install Reality, to get to the help file that explains the process of installing reality. :ohh:

What should be installed first, LuxRender, or Reality?

Doesn't really matter about the order in all honesty. They both need to be installed before you can use it properly. Luxrender is the render engine which Reality uses to make pretty pictures, so as long as you tell Reality where to find your installed copy of Luxrender everything will be peachy.
    Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,854
    edited December 2014

Pret-A-3D said:
    There is no time limit for the upgrade. You will be able to upgrade at any time. As you can see from the announcement, we offer it also for Reality 1 users.
    Cheers.

You said the upgrade had no time limit but I see this on the DAZ 3D website message announcement:

[Upgrade] Offer expires

Mon, Dec. 15, 2014

at Midnight (MST)

I can only assume that the unlimited-time upgrade is from your website and not at DAZ 3D's store?

I decided to purchase it now and get it over with. I want to purchase it from the DAZ 3D store because of the DIM installation possibility. I have no idea if it is available in DIM format, but just in case it is or will in the future.

Post edited by nDelphi on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,971
    edited December 1969

I woke, I bought! :)
    Looking forward to getting to grips with it when I get some free time!

edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    Pret-A-3D said:
    There is no time limit for the upgrade. You will be able to upgrade at any time. As you can see from the announcement, we offer it also for Reality 1 users.
    Cheers.

You said the upgrade had no time limit but I see this on the DAZ 3D website message announcement:

[Upgrade] Offer expires

Mon, Dec. 15, 2014

at Midnight (MST)

I can only assume that the unlimited-time upgrade is from your website and not at DAZ 3D's store?

I decided to purchase it now and get it over with. I want to purchase it from the DAZ 3D store because of the DIM installation possibility. I have no idea if it is available in DIM format, but just in case it is or will in the future.

Currently, it is not installable via DIM. It had to be installed manually.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

I'm on Windows 8 64-bit, but the download options are a little confusing beyond that...

What's the difference between an 'archive' and 'installer'? Should I download the 'OpenCL' version by default?

Also, is there a new guide or is the Reality 2 user guide sufficient?

And, having taken a look at the new videos, I understand how to change an object's material value within Reality, but while glass, skin, metal are all self-explanatory, what would 'null' be for?

edited December 2014

I'm on Windows 8 64-bit, but the download options are a little confusing beyond that...

What's the difference between an 'archive' and 'installer'? Should I download the 'OpenCL' version by default?

Also, is there a new guide or is the Reality 2 user guide sufficient?

And, having taken a look at the new videos, I understand how to change an object's material value within Reality, but while glass, skin, metal are all self-explanatory, what would 'null' be for?

In simple terms, OpenCL gives you the option to use hardware accelerated rendering. This only works with OpenCL compatible cards, though these days most are. If you have an older card, it may be worth finding out if it's compatible before downloading.

The Reality 4 user manual builds upon the R2 manual nicely, giving you a decent overview of the new functions. That being said, if you're familiar with Reality 2, there shouldn't be too many surprises here.

Null materials are used when you don't want a surface to render. This can be a variety of reasons, but the most common uses are opacity maps which work by mixing a null material with the base material (usually glossy), so that the 'null' handles the invisible parts of the surface, while the glossy handles the visible parts.

So, in effect Null means 'invisible'.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

I can see some search references to my GTX 770 having CUDA and OpenCL. I'll try that version, thanks.

Interesting to learn about null... Thank you. Opens up possibilities.

Just need to know whether to download the 'archive' or 'installer' version of Lux (or both, but that would make me wonder why it isn't just a single file). Then I'll hopefully be on the road to becoming a fully-fledged Reality user. :)

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

Buying this was the first thing I did this morning. Been waiting for it for what seems like 2 years.

For me it is the salve to an ill-fated sojourn into the Octane renderer. That was a nightmare.

• RhaleRhale Posts: 77
    edited December 2014

I've installed Reality 4, and the stand-alone has run ok and it's registered. But Studio keeps opening Reality 2.5. Doesn't seem to recognize 4 at all?

(Mac & Yosemite, version purchased from preta3d.com)

Edit - seems the plug-in isn't getting copied to the Daz Studio folder.

- And the item "Top Mesh Light" produces an error

"Could not open file :
    File does not exist."

Post edited by Rhale on
  • Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

Rhale_2 said:
    I've installed Reality 4, and the stand-alone has run ok and it's registered. But Studio keeps opening Reality 2.5. Doesn't seem to recognize 4 at all?

(Mac & Yosemite, version purchased from prated.com)

I installed the windows 64bit with no probs this end it opens the new version 4 ect, though in the render dropdown in Daz Studio I do have the old "Reality Render" still there but at the bottom is the new version thats called "Reality Render Editor"

I did install to the defaults that the installer provided.

Steve.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Just need to know whether to download the ‘archive’ or ‘installer’ version of Lux (or both, but that would make me wonder why it isn’t just a single file).

The archive is a ZIP file, and the installer is an .EXE, take your pick, they both do the same thing. The installer is easier to use if you are not familiar with installing your own software.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

Got my zip....

2 questions

Do I uninstall the version 2 I have?
    Where do I install all this... see the screen grab below

Thanks!

Richard

RealityInstall_Where.jpg
    567 x 187 - 15K
    edited December 1969

Rhale_2 said:

(Mac & Yosemite, version purchased from preta3d.com)

- And the item "Top Mesh Light" produces an error

"Could not open file :
    File does not exist."

I have Reality 2.5 and Reality 4. They show up as separate render options under the Render menu and operate independently, so there shouldn't be any conflicts. I'd ensure you've installed it correctly, and that the plugin has been activated.

Go to Help -> About Installed Plugins and find 'Reality DS' in the plugins box. Check that the status icon is green. The 'Reality Engine' plugin is for 2.0 so don't confuse the two :)

edited December 1969

I've manually copied the .dylib into the plugin folder to get it working.

Cheers for the replies though!

• VanguardVanguard Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

Grabbed it as soon as I saw it in the store. The introductory price is a great deal, didn't bother trying to go the upgrade route.

So far loving everything i am seeing. I have had a little trouble using the "water" material. Lux complaining about a missing disp map I think, but too much other new features to worry about it right now. LOVING the simple GPU render options, although again I got hung up on a odd Lux error. I had used the checkboxes to enable two GPUs after setting the "Num GPUs" to two and it throws an OpenCL error about something must be "2 not 3". Figured out if I set the "Num GPUs" back to 1 but leave the enabled GPUs at two it will do Pure GPU rendering. And what a difference in speed! Only the "Sun" light seems to work, will need to read up on Pure GPU rendering, but that will just make the work more fun trying to figure out bounce lighting .. :D

Thanks Paolo for delivering this new version! I have been waiting on pins and needles, mostly for new the material conversion of newer figures and such.

Homerun in my book!

Bravo!

edited December 1969

The file selection window (for loading new maps and whatever) looks very blurred on a Macbook retina display.