Just Because I Can. STUPID THREAD III

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,107
    edited December 1969

Just a stupid question. I have win 7 pro and 9 gigs of ram on my desktop. Should I upgrade my ram and if so to how much? I can try to save up some money for it.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just a stupid question. I have win 7 pro and 9 gigs of ram on my desktop. Should I upgrade my ram and if so to how much? I can try to save up some money for it.
    I'm running with 8Gb and never hit a hitch. All more ram will do is let you do larger more complicates scenes. It does not improve render speed. I can goto 16Gb on Win7 Home Premium I think Pro will see 32 Gb.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909
    edited September 2012

I'm pretty sure Pro will read up to 64GB. At least I hope otherwise I'm already maxed out, but I'm sure it's 64

EDIT: I just checked and Win 7 Pro will read up to 192GB http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

HOLY SMOKES!! That would be a shisst load of ram. I'll stick at 16Gb I never see using all of it. I'll get these sticks put in one day. :red:

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

I regularly chew thru 16 GB when I do my big renders...

edited September 2012

Skiriki said:
    Really? My most complicated set the Forest with many figures and hairs and props never pushed my 8Gb past 60%. What are you doing to eat 16Gb?

EDIT: Render to WINDOW? I always render to file for Large stuff.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ryan Harris survives in a fishing crate after his boat sunk in the Pacific. Stonie «Mac» Huffman got a survival suit, so he didn't need a crate. Both survives. It's a happy ending!

Picture: http://static.vg.no/uploaded/image/bilderigg/2012/09/11/1347379738848_200.jpg

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Skiriki said:
    Really? My most complicated set the Forest with many figures and hairs and props never pushed my 8Gb past 60%. What are you doing to eat 16Gb?

EDIT: Render to WINDOW? I always render to file for Large stuff.

No, I render to file. But I use lots and lots of different shaders (and lots of 'em are uber-ones or with raytraced reflections), have gazillion objects, and of course, 4000x4000 is pretty big too.

edited December 1969

Darn good that both guys lived. Nice.

Hmmm... 4000x4000 is HUGE. I hardly ever break 2000x2000 some maybe 2500x2500 but still. I have some good shaders myself but I hardly ever replace every surface with a new shader even on clothing.

edited December 1969

Well, you know the ice drake picture? That ate all available RAM, had a memory leak twice (renderus interruptus followed), and took couple of fine-tuning efforts to stop leaking memory like a sieve, and it STILL ate all memory, the only difference was that it no longer swapped...

And of course, took 6+ hours to render.

edited December 1969

What I do know is that I need to save up to get a second hard drive. How do I find out what hard drives would work with my desktop?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:

I've yet to hit 8GB of my 32. I've made some huge scenes that take 24+ hours to render

edited December 1969

I keep imagining Frank's avatar screaming or singing while doing its thing.

edited December 1969

What I do know is that I need to save up to get a second hard drive. How do I find out what hard drives would work with my desktop?
    Most PC's now days can take most HDD's I prefer a SATA drive because of the read write speeds.
    edited December 1969

I keep imagining Frank's avatar screaming or singing while doing its thing.
    In that scene, I think, it is laughing it's head off at the situation.
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Skiriki said:

I've yet to hit 8GB of my 32. I've made some huge scenes that take 24+ hours to render

8 Gig's on a 32-bit machine??? :ohh:

The longest rendertime I've had was when I was rendering an animation (2 minutes pr. 720x576 pixels frames, 25 frames a second and rendered 10 seconds of animation).

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited December 1969

when i render in poser a 10 second scene 300 keyframes at 30fps @1920 x1080 dpi only use 30% of my 12 gigs of ram. on my windows 7 64byte system it takes about an hour to do 300 keyframes @30fps unless i have complex lighting and or special effect then it will take a longer. But i have yet to use more than 30% of my ram in rendering anything Daz or poser. My longest render time was rendering 255 keyframes using Andrey's "The Forest" model . that took 6 hours to render, but it still didn't use more than 5 gigs of ram. I wonder if having a 4 gig graphic card may have anything to do with it?

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited December 1969

I would like to show off my very first model I created in 3ds Max this week in school.
    this lesson was about creating round mesh objects that use reflection and light bounce.
    this is a interesting class. Hard but fun at the same time.
    it took like 3/10 or a second to render with GPU with raytrace. bounce set at 8 passes.
    I know it don't look like much but I'm proud of my first model & render in 3ds . next week we will be moving this project over( Bridge) to Maya and animate our objects. I'm a excited. :)

project_file.jpg
    800 x 600 - 55K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    HOLY SMOKES!! That would be a shisst load of ram. I'll stick at 16Gb I never see using all of it. I'll get these sticks put in one day. :red:

...I think I'll be quite happy with the 12 on the new system considering what I have been dealing with all these years. The sad thing for about the same cost today I could have 24G (which my MB would support) but then I'd also need 7Pro.

Considering I tend to develop some rather involved scenes, I need all I can get.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Darn good that both guys lived. Nice.

Hmmm... 4000x4000 is HUGE. I hardly ever break 2000x2000 some maybe 2500x2500 but still. I have some good shaders myself but I hardly ever replace every surface with a new shader even on clothing.

...a lot of Jack's big sets like The Library and Baroque Grandeur have texture maps approaching 4,000 x 4,000. Been a real pain for me on the 32 bit rig as I have to reduce the resolution of a lot of maps to lighten the load. I usually set them at 2,000 x 2,000 and they tend to work OK.
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    I would like to show off my very first model I created in 3ds Max this week in school.
    this lesson was about creating round mesh objects that use reflection and light bounce.
    this is a interesting class. Hard but fun at the same time.
    it took like 3/10 or a second to render with GPU with raytrace. bounce set at 8 passes.
    I know it don't look like much but I'm proud of my first model & render in 3ds . next week we will be moving this project over( Bridge) to Maya and animate our objects. I'm a excited. :)

I'm happy for you Ivy! 3ds max oftern has a high drop out rate, but stay strong because renders are limitless in Max! You can work on it for six years and still be learning new stuff you never thought of. The materials and edit mesh/polly modifiers are my most favorite in Max!! If your course is similarly structured as what mine is, you'll do into basic dynamics and surface editing parameters and particle generation very soon. I cant wait to see your progress! :)

edited December 1969

@Ivy: Way to go. Great things in your future with that training, you as well Spyro.

@KK: I hear you. This is my first REAL PC, not having to cut corners like trimming down textures, and swapping out UBER anything for Daz standard is still new to me. I'm still stuck in the I'm over doing it frame of mind. It's tough to lose old habits like those.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

I do 10,000x10,000 when rendering full body shots of characters in a studio like setting, fully lit an all. I do that because I use them as models for digital painting, which I may add is also painted at 10,000 Height. I crop the excess background of course, but it doesn't add any extra render time.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Skiriki said:

8 Gig's on a 32-bit machine??? :ohh:

8GB out of a total 32GB, I think.

edited December 1969

all my eggs and dragons got clicks while I was out

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited December 1969

this is stupid
    I get this browsing to facebook on Android quite freqyently

SC20120912-171246.png
    1024 x 600 - 85K
    SC20120912-171255.png
    1024 x 600 - 76K
    edited December 1969

The problem is at Facebook's end, for having a certificate granted to a wrongly-named server.

Android is enforcing it correctly, by notifying user of the error.

edited December 1969

spraydns fbops? ?? kinda weird though
    sounds like a kid's band ;-P

edited December 1969

spraydns fbops? ?? kinda weird though
    sounds like a kid's band ;-P

...or rather, the cert names a wrong cluster which differs from where it should operate. *ahem* Common cert name must match with that of the server where it works, or you'll get that happening.

Anyway, "spraydns" suggests some sort of interesting nameserver solution (spray + dns), whereas "fbops" sounds like "facebook operations".

edited December 1969

ok, that did not even rustle my fringe it went so far over! ;-P

This discussion has been closed.