Monique 6 & Darius 6 Thread

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,608
    edited December 1969

So far I think Darius's skin is the most realistic base skin daz 3d has produced. I also really like his slender tall build without the weird pecs. Content wise I'm hoping for a few more short' shaved hairstyles. I have enough dreads so some short and curly hair styles or shaved fashions would be welcome and probably a bit more commonplace.

Do think the stereotyped clothing clothing is problematic for me. I'll probably kitbash the voodoo stuff for aliens and such.

I haven't checked out Monique yet.

• almahiedraalmahiedra Posts: 1,349
    edited December 1969

In another cultural POV I find the fantasy theme very OK. Swamp Witch can be converted in a Stylized Santera, dress is not exactly caribbean, blouses are differents, but doesn't matter, it would need some seashells too, and red and white textures to match. Barefoot is ok for chango dancers, but for everyday life, shoes and pantyhose or socks will be needed.

If Darius headpiece is compared with some altars, fantasy is easily linked. The rest of the outfit can provide a very good basis for an Orisha.

Believe me, if you believe that witchcraf is an stereotype, seriously you need visit my country. It can be culture, folklore, religion and even fashion, and a lot of people are very proud about this.

737DACF0F3E744421B351A59F94A0.jpg
    500 x 350 - 47K
    shangoheru1.jpg
    612 x 800 - 182K
    beautysantera.gif
    273 x 358 - 77K
  • nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    In another cultural POV I find the fantasy theme very OK. Swamp Witch can be converted in a Stylized Santera, dress is not exactly caribbean, blouses are differents, but doesn't matter, it would need some seashells too, and red and white textures to match. Barefoot is ok for chango dancers, but for everyday life, shoes and pantyhose or socks will be needed.

If Darius headpiece is compared with some altars, fantasy is easily linked. The rest of the outfit can provide a very good basis for an Orisha.

Believe me, if you believe that witchcraf is an stereotype, seriously you need visit my country. It can be culture, folklore, religion and even fashion, and a lot of people are very proud about this.

Thank you. You expressed that much better than I was trying. Magic was a major, everyday part of African culture, and still is. Many use folk magic/medicine practitioners. Quite a bit of folk magic was brought over to this country, and is still practiced in the US. I remember hearing of this railroad line in South Florida, where the train crews had to watch out for chickens that had been sacrificed along the tracks. Costume was pretty much made up of what was available. I doubt any two ever looked alike, or like what is depicted. But they are somewhat plausible.

• almahiedraalmahiedra Posts: 1,349
    edited December 1969

YAY!!! AN OFFICIAL BLACK FEMALE!!! :D

...who is immediately portrayed as a voodoo priestess and the guy as a basketball player, lol. ;)

Stereotypes. But why a basketball player? A runner would be more appropriate, it's hard to beat some of the most notable African or Jamaican sportsmen. Similarly, Monique could be a singer of a more demanding genre.

Yesss!! runner and singer, there are a lot of stars for inspiration. Also, there isn't a beach theme.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

This might be an odd question, but why do people care about stereotyping in this instance? Thinking about this logically, a Witch Doctor outfit would be more than a little out of place in, for example, Lee 6's bundle just like a cheongsam dress would be a little out of place in Monique's bundle. The casual 'everyman' clothes are included in just about every bundle, and since it's a Genesis figure they're easily used across different bodies.

I always see these bundles as a way to expand your possibilities. If they all had the same 'safe' vanilla content it would get stale very quickly, and people would ultimately start crying out for the cultural and historical options. There will always be options for those wanting to use Darius as a businessman or stay-at-home husband, but for those needing a chieftain or witch doctor, we now have them, which is great.

Ultimately it's about empowering you, the artist, with the tools to do what you want.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,423
    edited December 1969

This might be an odd question, but why do people care about stereotyping in this instance? Thinking about this logically, a Witch Doctor outfit would be more than a little out of place in, for example, Lee 6's bundle just like a cheongsam dress would be a little out of place in Monique's bundle. The casual 'everyman' clothes are included in just about every bundle, and since it's a Genesis figure they're easily used across different bodies.

I always see these bundles as a way to expand your possibilities. If they all had the same 'safe' vanilla content it would get stale very quickly, and people would ultimately start crying out for the cultural and historical options. There will always be options for those wanting to use Darius as a businessman or stay-at-home husband, but for those needing a chieftain or witch doctor, we now have them, which is great.

Ultimately it's about empowering you, the artist, with the tools to do what you want.

It's ok to point out people's cultural heritage, but stereotyping is always dangerous. I think that all humans have a certain tendency to do it; this form of simplification makes perception and judgement easier for us. Our poor little brains have enough other work to do in our daily life... But: As everybody knows, stereotypes can be terribly and stupidly wrong and disgustingly malicious and humiliating – the more if the person who tries to lower others has reason to compensate own deficiencies.

I said it already that I like the outfits for Darius & Monique, and there are contemporary and/or fantasy clothes for both. I bought the 'Swamp Witch' and the 'Witch Doctor'. Maybe the Swamp Witch's skirt should look a bit less tattered (the top is neat and clean), and a pair of shoes would have been nice, too. As far as I know, black people, even in the African savanna, like to wear shoes, too – not only sneakers and such... ;-)

edited December 1969

"As far as I know, black people, even in the African savanna, like to wear shoes, too – not only sneakers and such… "

In the past, many even in this country did not have the money for shoes. You should see how far people in Africa could walk/run without shoes. This figures often in period literature.

edited December 1969

gilikshe said:

...who is immediately portrayed as a voodoo priestess and the guy as a basketball player, lol. ;)

Stereotypes. But why a basketball player? A runner would be more appropriate, it's hard to beat some of the most notable African or Jamaican sportsmen. Similarly, Monique could be a singer of a more demanding genre.

Yesss!! runner and singer, there are a lot of stars for inspiration. Also, there isn't a beach theme.

Like this? Someone posted a V4 morph of Billie Holliday a few days ago in Renderosity's free stuff. Wish more people would start making famous characters for Genesis 2.

Lady_Sings_the_Blues.png
    1256 x 574 - 1M
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited February 2015

gilikshe said:

Someone can easily make a 'runner' costume with what's already available. Several times over, probably! There is even already a specific 'jogger' costume. Same goes for singers - lots of pre-existing costumes already in the shop.

For basketball, however, that's a very specific type of costume which was not yet in the store (something like it was, but designed for kids). As per my understanding, it's a sport which tends to have more dark-skinned players than light (at least, in the US), which just puts it in the 'suitable' category than 'racial stereotype', in the same way as you'd probably find a heck of a lot more Asian people practising martial arts; made logical sense for Lee 6 to be the figure they roll out a lot of that gear with.

There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from dressing up, say, Michael 6 to look like a rap artist or strapping some wings to Lilith to make her look like a good-hearted fairy. That's the point of this stuff - let your imagination roam free. :) What Daz decide which new costumes might have most cultural relevance for certain new figures, is largely irrelevant.

I mean, if this is what it's taken for these awesomely realistic new styles of dreadlocks to become available? Good for them! And you know which figure I'll be using them for? Not a black figure (of which I own several) - an Asian one, because they're a perfect match for some fandom art of a Japanese character in the 1990s 'Aliens Versus Predator' comics. Until now, I was having to auto-fitting the ones from the Genesis 'Cat' figure to her, but now I've got something a lot more suitable! Just hoping a vendor comes along with an expansion to put similar sharp metal tips and/or some hooks on the ends of these. :)

Same goes for the tribal-wear Reptilian 6 came out with. I've got more uses for a reptilian character in science-fiction settings than fantasy, but I've plenty of other fantasy creature figures with tails who can use those items of lower clothing! :) Tail-suitable lower clothing is a rare sight in the store, to say the least.

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

For myself I didn't find the dreadlocks to look particularly realistic based on what I've seen in real life.

On another topic has anyone bought DE Zuri? It has a weird coloured look from the promo pics

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited February 2015

I think the problem people have is when minorities are depicted as the exotic "other" in comparison to white being the normal or default. The good news is that for the most part all the other ladies have just as much stereotyped fantasy clothing in their bundles.

The V6 bundle contains little in the way of practical everyday clothing: 2 skimpy medievalesque outfits, 1 skimpy clubbing dress, and 1 less skimpy dress. Olympia is even worse: 3 super skimpy fantasy outfits and one super cleavagy retro dress (the main difference is that there's one less clothing item for Monique. If the Monique bundle included one extra modern outfit it would be the most perfect bundle ever)

Historically it really seems that Stephanie, David, and the teens are the only bundles with primarily modern clothes (yet another reason for y'all to hope for a David 6 release)

Mind you, if tomorrow Daz releases a disco outfit I may revise this statement

*edit* also wanted to say kudos to Daz and Mada on the Aether outfit, I know its still technically falls into the skimpwear category, but it somehow looks tasteful and pretty rather than in-your-face sexy. I'm going to be putting it on everyone.

Post edited by j cade on
  • cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

So far I think Darius's skin is the most realistic base skin daz 3d has produced. I also really like his slender tall build without the weird pecs. Content wise I'm hoping for a few more short' shaved hairstyles. I have enough dreads so some short and curly hair styles or shaved fashions would be welcome and probably a bit more commonplace.

Do think the stereotyped clothing clothing is problematic for me. I'll probably kitbash the voodoo stuff for aliens and such.

I haven't checked out Monique yet.

Yes to everything except the clothes - there is more than enough modern dresses, swimsuits and skimpwear, but such clothes (and with realistic flowing looks) are still quite rare. Besides, they fit the fantasy genre well without being skimpy.

gilikshe said:

I'm glad you like my idea :).

Totally seconded! The clothes are something new - and not skimpy.

I think the problem people have is when minorities are depicted as the exotic "other" in comparison to white being the normal or default. The good news is that for the most part all the other ladies have just as much stereotyped fantasy clothing in their bundles.

The V6 bundle contains little in the way of practical everyday clothing: 2 skimpy medievalesque outfits, 1 skimpy clubbing dress, and 1 less skimpy dress. Olympia is even worse: 3 super skimpy fantasy outfits and one super cleavagy retro dress (the main difference is that there's one less clothing item for Monique. If the Monique bundle included one extra modern outfit it would be the most perfect bundle ever)

*edit* also wanted to say kudos to Daz and Mada on the Aether outfit, I know its still technically falls into the skimpwear category, but it somehow looks tasteful and pretty rather than in-your-face sexy. I'm going to be putting it on everyone.

If Olympia's sets are skimpy to you, what will you say about the stuff Lilith comes with? :lol: But the remark about Monique's clothing is very balanced - I don't have a single item in the bundles I'd dislike; that's rare.

Very pleasant surprise with these 2 new characters! Both Darius and Monique look absolutely stunning! I´m glad that with a female model (which we thought would arrive since there were some hints) arrived a black male model as well! Something that was definitely needed!

Both of them are at the top of my wishlist! : )

So what do you think is next? I think that an Indian pair would be really cool too (Indian from India, not native american although that would be awesome as well!).

Or polynesian characters. Or an arabic pair?

Or maybe just one or two more males since the ladies pretty much outnumbered the guys. That is expected since I guess most people prefer rendering females (including me).

I´m curious what´s coming next!

You've got good ideas. Though I am used to custom-dialing characters, I see DAZ releases many out-of-the-box morphs now and it seems to be targeted at people totally new to 3D as a way of easing things for them. So with this policy, the couples you describe are worth giving a try.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

anikad said:
    For myself I didn't find the dreadlocks to look particularly realistic based on what I've seen in real life.

Find me a better Genesis 2 set in the store - or Genesis, for that matter. ;)

Plus, we now have another set, just in today! :-)

edited December 1969

I can only render what I feel comfortable with, and others must do the same.

I do prefer shorter hairstyles and so far, there is only one set. But hopefully more will be on their way.

Braids are lovely, and dreadlocks are interesting, but I hope to see shorter style too.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,560
    edited December 1969

It's not the outfits themselves that I found ridiculously stereotypical, it was that they were used front and center as the promotional images for those characters on Day 1. Lee and Mei Lin were no better, their releases were basically a giant shout of "ASIANS = MARTIAL ARTS!"

We should have those outfits of course, but maybe when it's time for a Hispanic character, you guys could save the matador, masked wrestler, and taco truck for Day 2? ;)

edited December 1969

It's not the outfits themselves that I found ridiculously stereotypical, it was that they were used front and center as the promotional images for those characters on Day 1. Lee and Mei Lin were no better, their releases were basically a giant shout of "ASIANS = MARTIAL ARTS!"

We should have those outfits of course, but maybe when it's time for a Hispanic character, you guys could save the matador, masked wrestler, and taco truck for Day 2? ;)

Don't forget the bandito.

edited December 1969

Wouldn't it be a worthy giggle of nature to make another Caucasian render scream: "CAUCASIANS = MASS MEDIA AND STOCK EXCHANGE!"?

Anyway, a Spanish guy could be a nice addition.

edited February 2015

I really missed the threads which showcase new figures and their products. I hope to see a Darius and Monique render thread.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 585
    edited December 1969

A different questions: what's wrong with the render as mentioned here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53161/?

It was a knee-jerk reaction to seeing Darius in a Witch Doctor outfit.

See, I grew up in Harlem NYC in the 1970s during a time when teachers and community leaders worked hard to counteract the stereotypical images of black people as tribal savages. They grew up during the Civil Rights Movement so they were hyper-sensitive about any portrayal that might be seen as disrespectful, and they passed that way of thinking on to us.

Mind you, I understand that the headdress makes for a dynamic image. It has lots of accessories and is really well-done, but it was still kind of a shock to see. This, like SnowSultan said, after the recent promotions for Lee 6 which really gave off that message of ASIANS=MARTIAL ARTS, seems like a way to sell items based on old stereotypes. Again, no disrespect meant to Arien and Mada because I can see using the set in my own work, but the marketing image was a bit of a shock.

edited December 1969

I really missed the threads which showcase new figures and their products. I hope to see a Darius and Monique render thread.

That's curious, the better the new major shape is, the less hype DAZ makes about it.

Please... Make some renders...

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited February 2015

This might be an odd question, but why do people care about stereotyping

Because stereotyping is damaging. Think of the way society stereotypes wheelchair users - there's a widespread, stereotyped belief that anyone who uses a wheelchair can't walk, and therefore that anyone who uses a wheelchair and gets out of it to walk is clearly faking (a friend of mine was abused for this just a couple of days ago), while the truth is the overwhelming majority of wheelchair users can walk to some degree. Even George Takei fell for this on his Facebook feed last year and had to apologise - and the stereotyping was so strong he even criticised those disabled people objecting before the penny fimally dropped that, for all his reputation as a gay rights activist, the stereotype had sucked him into active disablism. Then there's the other stereotype that wheelchair users are all intellectually impaired, I've actually had a politician pat me on the head before, while a friend tells the story of someone coming across her in her powerchair backstage at a high-powered conference for mathematicians and being asked 'Are you lost, dear?' to which she replied that no, she was actually the invited speaker....

It's no different for other minority groups, and the immediate context doesn't matter, stereotyping encourages sub-conscious reduction of minority group members to a simplistic parody of the fully-rounded people they actually are, and often promotes active discrimination. I was concerned when the Asian figures were released with such stereotypical outfits, and to see the same gaffe repeated with the African figures gave me the immediate urge to beat my head against the nearest solid object, which probably isn't quite the reaction DAZ were looking for.

Post edited by DWG on
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited February 2015

SmallFry said:
    Mind you, I understand that the headdress makes for a dynamic image. It has lots of accessories and is really well-done, but it was still kind of a shock to see. This, like SnowSultan said, after the recent promotions for Lee 6 which really gave off that message of ASIANS=MARTIAL ARTS, seems like a way to sell items based on old stereotypes. Again, no disrespect meant to Arien and Mada because I can see using the set in my own work, but the marketing image was a bit of a shock.

It's a damned if you/damned if you don't. There's 3 outfits in the set.the casual clothes set used in the Starter Pack image, the basketball uniform, and the witch doctor one...Basketball would be just as stereotypical, without the being a very eye catching outfit.

Post edited by Scavenger on
    edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    SmallFry said:

It's a damned if you/damned if you don't. There's 3 outfits in the set.the casual clothes set used in the Starter Pack image, the basketball uniform, and the witch doctor one...Basketball would be just as stereotypical, without the being a very eye catching outfit.

Oops, that's not my post...

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,206
    edited December 1969

Very nicely modelled, but I still don't understand what the hype is about, regarding whether a new character has been 'officially' made by Daz or some other vendor in the store. A character's a character, IMO.

The 'official' characters tend to be better than most made by not-DAZ3D, in my experience. Also they are typically getting additional HD morphs later on (unless HD morphs would be really great for them, amirite, Gia?) and their morphs usually become part of the standard roster of body morphs included in new clothing items, which is a great help.

I must say, I really like those bundles, most items looks surprisingly good. And really, I wanted Dunkmaster Darius for quite a while but couldn't afford him, now I finally have him, in a way :D

I sure am hoping my new credit card shows up tomorrow or these bundles will be going on my wishlist for an extended period until they hit another big sale...sure wishing this cc thing hadn't happened right before MM

Oh? Might I ask what happened?

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

I liked the Bruce Lee movies when I was a kid, and I still kind of like Mike (Jordan). It's a shame I lost interest in the game after he retired (1993). So I guess there are some around that do remember 'Space Jam', lol.

I kind of like the appearance (Window shopping) of Vidal Braids and Medea Hair. Considering all I have is X-tech. The eyebrows are not hidden with both of them. oh, I like that blue-black combo. Now I've got to ask, why do some styles kink up around the neck like that?

08-medea-hair-for-genesis-2-females-and-victoria-4--daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 306K
    11-pop-vidal-braids-aprilysh-daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 228K
  • TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

DWG said:
    This might be an odd question, but why do people care about stereotyping

...Then there's the other stereotype that wheelchair users are all intellectually impaired, I've actually had a politician pat me on the head before, while a friend tells the story of someone coming across her in her powerchair backstage at a high-powered conference for mathematicians and being asked 'Are you lost, dear?' to which she replied that no, she was actually the invited speaker....

I've been patted on the head myself. I HATE when they do that...

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited February 2015

DWG said:
    I've actually had a politician pat me on the head before

Seriously?! That's so wrong in so many ways I couldn't even list them all.. You never pat anyone over 10 on the head unless you're their parent, lover, or BFF.

(Edit: at least in the United States, in other cultures it might not be a condescending gesture, I don't know)

Post edited by Fisty on
  • BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

:-/
    I kind of figured everyone will go hyper sensitive when showcasing different ethnicities.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    DWG said:
    I've actually had a politician pat me on the head before

Seriously?! That's so wrong in so many ways I couldn't even list them all.. You never pat anyone over 10 on the head unless you're their parent, lover, or BFF.

(Edit: at least in the United States, in other cultures it might not be a condescending gesture, I don't know)

it's no more acceptable in the UK - and that happened the very first time I went out in a chair. A friend with better connections than me has actually been patted (on the shoulder, not head), by the minister whose department is responsible for disabled people (his US equivalent would be the Secretary for Labour).

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

Here's my first picture with Monique and Darius. I like them both a lot.
    "Dance Lesson"

DanceLesson1.jpg
    1200 x 1680 - 790K