Monique 6 & Darius 6 Thread

Comments

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,560
    edited December 1969

I don't know if I would have tried to give her a different name if I'd known about the Australian slang, but yes, it's quite difficult to come up with a name that isn't either already well known or is somehow inappropriate. I started calling her Smacky because the first image I put her in was called 'Succubus Smackdown', and gave her the real name of Sahmika later. Thank you Cecilia for paying enough attention to my silly stuff to know about her story details! :) I haven't bought Monique yet because the lips are a little too strongly defined for my taste and because I know the varying skin tone on the legs and torso, while realistic, would be a pain for me to try and balance in my style of postwork. Maybe in the future though, for now I'll just keep using good old Elite Marie V4.

Heh, I wish I could say that what I do is clever and satirical, but I'm really just more of an 'adapter' than anything else. I gave my character a revealing outfit because I really liked the Briana Culaith outfit at the time and how the gold and red looked on a dark-skinned figure. Later, I justify it by saying she needs to wear light gear to be able to fight in hand-to-hand combat, that her sister tells her it's fashionable, that it's based on a town dancer's outfit, etc. I made the enemies in her story female primarily just because they're male in every other fantasy story ever. Sometimes it's beneficial being given a set of boundaries and having to work creatively within them because otherwise I would just think and think and think and never get anything done. ;)

I do hope we get Hispanic or Latin American characters next, perhaps with more stocky body shapes than we've seen in other DAZ original characters.

• AprilYSHAprilYSH Posts: 1,491
    edited December 1969

AprilYSH said:
    Hey we haven't given up on asking DAZ to add the "build your own bundle" feature yet have we? ;-) I know it's complicated but I'm still hoping... one day marketing will run out of ideas and finally try it! :coolgrin: lol

YEEEESSSS!!! At least a regular voting time where they ask people for ideas for bundles and the chosen number of the most voted-for packs is to be incorporated into the shop as a regular bundle array. This would simply mean adding another entry to the database instead of a whole new set of discounts. Do you think it could work?

I can't recall it coming up in discussions lately (must fix that!) One main problem used to be mixing up PA brokered items with DAZ Originals, as DAZ are ok with giving HUGE discount on release bundles but PAs don't tend to go with those 70-80% off on NEW items by choice! lol The store working out these different levels of discounts on a single purchase is still a complication :-S

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited March 2015

AprilYSH said:

AprilYSH said:
    Hey we haven't given up on asking DAZ to add the "build your own bundle" feature yet have we? ;-) I know it's complicated but I'm still hoping... one day marketing will run out of ideas and finally try it! :coolgrin: lol

YEEEESSSS!!! At least a regular voting time where they ask people for ideas for bundles and the chosen number of the most voted-for packs is to be incorporated into the shop as a regular bundle array. This would simply mean adding another entry to the database instead of a whole new set of discounts. Do you think it could work?

I can't recall it coming up in discussions lately (must fix that!) One main problem used to be mixing up PA brokered items with DAZ Originals, as DAZ are ok with giving HUGE discount on release bundles but PAs don't tend to go with those 70-80% off on NEW items by choice! lol The store working out these different levels of discounts on a single purchase is still a complication :-S

Of course, I believe PA items could be excluded from DOs' selection. Either make a category for PA items or just allow creating bundles with DOs. If you ask me, very often, I just wanted a selection of items from official bundles. They were of identical prices, the only problem was that what I wanted was inside the additional section of pro bundles. If I could request a switch of items, I would be able to give DAZ much more, because if I only want the hairstyles from Lilith 6 Pro Bundle and Letizia, with the rest having totally no use for me, I simply decide not to buy anything at all until there is a flash sale on the vendor's department.

My ideas are the following:
    - make a category with just DOs and discounts so that people who buy, say, three items, get a bigger discount (that is used by DAZ sometimes, but doesn't really constitute a bundle);
    - make the same thing with PA items, but the discounts will have to be lower than the ones DAZ can give us;
    - weekly (at least monthly with so much content coming along!) contests: customers create their own bundle suggestions by coming up with a catchy name, listing the items to be included and perhaps a marketing blurb - then all people, including the entrants, can vote for their favourite bundles; the certain number of chosen picks will be incorporated as regular bundles by DAZ. One can also impose a rule that they must be DOs, though may include a PA as a co-vendor with DAZ.

I don't know if I would have tried to give her a different name if I'd known about the Australian slang, but yes, it's quite difficult to come up with a name that isn't either already well known or is somehow inappropriate. I started calling her Smacky because the first image I put her in was called 'Succubus Smackdown', and gave her the real name of Sahmika later. Thank you Cecilia for paying enough attention to my silly stuff to know about her story details! :) I haven't bought Monique yet because the lips are a little too strongly defined for my taste and because I know the varying skin tone on the legs and torso, while realistic, would be a pain for me to try and balance in my style of postwork. Maybe in the future though, for now I'll just keep using good old Elite Marie V4.

Heh, I wish I could say that what I do is clever and satirical, but I'm really just more of an 'adapter' than anything else. I gave my character a revealing outfit because I really liked the Briana Culaith outfit at the time and how the gold and red looked on a dark-skinned figure. Later, I justify it by saying she needs to wear light gear to be able to fight in hand-to-hand combat, that her sister tells her it's fashionable, that it's based on a town dancer's outfit, etc. I made the enemies in her story female primarily just because they're male in every other fantasy story ever. Sometimes it's beneficial being given a set of boundaries and having to work creatively within them because otherwise I would just think and think and think and never get anything done. ;)

I do hope we get Hispanic or Latin American characters next, perhaps with more stocky body shapes than we've seen in other DAZ original characters.

Snow, don't you dare call the story silly. It is truly extraordinary and Smacky is a good role model for children (she doesn't agree to evil, she is active, kind to the others, isn't just a trophy wife, she doesn't need men or rulers of her country - heck, even a love interest! - to help her peers... and she is adorably funny).

Post edited by cecilia.robinson on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

AprilYSH said:

Exactly. I think the prevailing thought is "If I wanted my PA items bundled, I'd sell them to DAZ in the first place." The chances of making PA bundles are close to nil because of the PA blowback that would cause. PAs will choose to bundle a few of their own items, when it's a set, not just to give blowout prices... a lot a work goes into those products to just give them away at release at extremely low prices.

edited December 1969

Smacky is a good role model for children

Well maybe when she's wearing a dress. :) Thanks again, you're very kind!

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

I would say she's a good role model even in her fighting gear, really.. she has a realistic and obtainable body shape for a strong and healthy woman, not sickeningly thin like the popular media tells us we should have. (And no offense at all meant towards the small percentage of women who are naturally very thin, it's very easy to tell from skin tone and eyes that you're healthy, not sickly)

• almahiedraalmahiedra Posts: 1,349
    edited December 1969

Smacky is a good role model for children

Well maybe when she's wearing a dress. :) Thanks again, you're very kind!

She only needs to be dressed in her strength. I love this character.

edited December 1969

Thanks Fisty and Gilikshe, I'm very happy to hear it. :) At the moment I'm working on a child version of her and it's turning out to be surprisingly cute. I had to use a ton of different morphs from many different sources though, which is why it's always good to get as many morph sets as you can. Dialing in numerous values at small amounts has always worked better for me than trying to use a preset at 1.000.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread with Smacky talk. I am glad to see so many people excited about these black characters though. Despite the launch controversy, it sounds like they'll be one of DAZ's more successful releases.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

I'm happy that I was at least able to get Monique now. Hopefully I'll be able to afford Darius by the time DAZ has the catchup sale, assuming they do have one.

edited December 1969

Thanks Fisty and Gilikshe, I'm very happy to hear it. :) At the moment I'm working on a child version of her and it's turning out to be surprisingly cute. I had to use a ton of different morphs from many different sources though, which is why it's always good to get as many morph sets as you can. Dialing in numerous values at small amounts has always worked better for me than trying to use a preset at 1.000.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread with Smacky talk. I am glad to see so many people excited about these black characters though. Despite the launch controversy, it sounds like they'll be one of DAZ's more successful releases.

Do you remember I made a younger version of Smacky on Genesis waaay back? The one from the fankit.

I do hope Monique and Darius will be the most loved Generation 6 major shapes, they deserve that. I also wish there was going to be a catchup.

edited December 1969

We need less talk and MORE RENDERS! :)

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,873
    edited December 1969

"Queen of the Damned"

Using Monique as a base for Michonne from Walking Dead

Rawn

Mich-queenDamned.jpg
    960 x 862 - 284K
    edited December 1969

Michonne! Awesome!

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

I did a little bit of a line up. Not as artsy as for comparison, and a who's who for me.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/774402/
    Now I have three Pro sets to finish downloading, and go threw.

• mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335
    edited December 1969

Hello everyone,
    Been a while since I've logged in. I just want to thank Daz Studio for the time and effort put in to Darius and Monique figures. I am very happy to see these projects and as soon as I have the money I will purchase both bundles to show my support. I have not rendered in a long time, Reality4 did not fit my work flow as I once hoped. And life got in the way. But even if I never do another render, I will still purchase these products.

Message to Hellboy, if you do not already have Darius, I will gift it to you. I really want to see what you can do with the new skins. Your renders of Rob are still my favorite in all of 3D.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,800
    edited December 1969

AprilYSH said:

Exactly. I think the prevailing thought is "If I wanted my PA items bundled, I'd sell them to DAZ in the first place." The chances of making PA bundles are close to nil because of the PA blowback that would cause. PAs will choose to bundle a few of their own items, when it's a set, not just to give blowout prices... a lot a work goes into those products to just give them away at release at extremely low prices.
    Ahh, good to know that I'll be saving a lot of money on most PA releases then... :P

edited December 1969

AprilYSH said:

Ahh, good to know that I'll be saving a lot of money on most PA releases then... :P

LOL, not sure how you can save money on something that never happened. ;)

edited December 1969

Do you remember I made a younger version of Smacky on Genesis waaay back? The one from the fankit.

I do, and thanks again for that! I always like seeing fanart!

Very nice image Rawn, your recent pictures really have a lot of great atmospheric elements that create interesting scenes.

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    "Queen of the Damned"

Using Monique as a base for Michonne from Walking Dead

Rawn

Love it, great rendition of her!

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,800
    edited December 1969

AprilYSH said:

That's what I mean, DOs and less bundles means less chance I buy stuff. :)

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

We need less talk and MORE RENDERS! :)

'Kay -- larger versions up in my dA gallery, here and here.
    different_worlds_by_kickair8p-x1200.jpg
    1200 x 1067 - 362K
    JanetVanDyneCConcept02x1200.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 195K
    edited December 1969

AprilYSH said:

That's what I mean, DOs and less bundles means less chance I buy stuff. :)

OK, but that's not how PAs make money. With pricing, splits, percentages, etc. PA bundles really don't make sense when they will most likely get less than $1 out of the deal for weeks worth of work. Buying and selling really has to be beneficial on both sides, so saying you're not buying something because PAs won't agree to get paid nothing ultimately will not bother PAs because the majority of people will pay a fair price for items so that vendors will continue to provide products in the future. That's something you should keep in mind.

edited March 2015

magnumdaz said:
    Message to Hellboy, if you do not already have Darius, I will gift it to you. I really want to see what you can do with the new skins. Your renders of Rob are still my favorite in all of 3D.

Do you read correctly you can GIFT DAZ-bought items now???

I didn't spot that in the new EULA, but that would be great. I'd love to be able to choose a certain set and gift it to a certain person. I know Rendo has the option to buy as a gift (I guess you need to know the receiver's nick), but so far, I've never found a counterpart here. Please tell me more.

Post edited by cecilia.robinson on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You can buy a Gift certificate for the nearest dollar amount and gift that to the person.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    You can buy a Gift certificate for the nearest dollar amount and gift that to the person.

Yes, but it doesn't help when you want to buy a specific item. In my country, giving gift cards from individuals is considered in rather bad taste, so it is more complicated than that. The post I quoted implied there must be an option to give someone Darius.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

As you know from many other posts on this forum there is absolutely no other legal way to gift anyone except to use a gift certificate. It is the way it has always been at Daz 3D and back into Zygote days as well.

Any suggestion that there may be a way to get round DAZ 3D rules and EULA is skirting a line that is not allowed on the DAZ 3D forums.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,846
    edited December 1969

magnumdaz said:

I didn't spot that in the new EULA, but that would be great. I'd love to be able to choose a certain set and gift it to a certain person. I know Rendo has the option to buy as a gift (I guess you need to know the receiver's nick), but so far, I've never found a counterpart here. Please tell me more.

There are two ways someone can "gift something to someone on DAZ3D.

1) You are the merchant that created the item and choose to give someone the set/pack
    2) Buy a gift certificate to cover the cost so the person can buy the item

That's all the options there are. Could be Hellboy meant he was going to purchase a gift cert for the person or it could be he worked on Darius in some way and so has the ability to give it to someone with DAZ's permission (since it is a DAZ O) That is pretty much the list of way as it has generally always been. I think you may have been reading more into the "I'll gift it to you" then there was.

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

Thought I'd post this here as well. Used Darius plus some of Zev0's Aging and Face Weight morphs.

ValleyOfDarkness3.jpg
    1617 x 1026 - 448K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    As you know from many other posts on this forum there is absolutely no other legal way to gift anyone except to use a gift certificate. It is the way it has always been at Daz 3D and back into Zygote days as well.

Any suggestion that there may be a way to get round DAZ 3D rules and EULA is skirting a line that is not allowed on the DAZ 3D forums.

There are two ways someone can "gift something to someone on DAZ3D.

1) You are the merchant that created the item and choose to give someone the set/pack
    2) Buy a gift certificate to cover the cost so the person can buy the item

That's all the options there are. Could be Hellboy meant he was going to purchase a gift cert for the person or it could be he worked on Darius in some way and so has the ability to give it to someone with DAZ's permission (since it is a DAZ O) That is pretty much the list of way as it has generally always been. I think you may have been reading more into the "I'll gift it to you" then there was.

That's exactly what I thought. Thanks, I was beginning to think there was an option I missed. Glad I didn't :).

edited December 1969

Wow DAZ, one witch doctor set each not enough for Monique and Darius? lol :)