Monique 6 & Darius 6 Thread

Comments

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

No, saw it on the rolling advert queue thing on a visit to the store.

As for Keiko:

http://www.behindthename.com/name/keiko

Could always be a feminine guy, I suppose! ;)

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

No, saw it on the rolling advert queue thing on a visit to the store.

As for Keiko:

http://www.behindthename.com/name/keiko

Could always be a feminine guy, I suppose! ;)

...Giselle's friend! Next time, please, take a screenshot... :)

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,879
    edited December 1969

Brodie looks like he could be Giselle´s friend : )

• LintonLinton Posts: 542
    edited December 1969

Well, I'm all for more science-fiction costumes being released. If they'd be specifically made for a new female character, however, be careful what you wish for: They'd most likely be skimpwear, again, rather than practical.

I quite like the new 'Space Hunter', for instance - although, it has an odd rubbery look to it... Components which should be solid smart-props look like they're distorted, because they're literally bending like fabric. Makes an excellent substitute for a military astronaut, though!

The Advanced Metal Shaders make those rubbery parts look much better, especially the damaged and decayed, like they have been through an epic sci fi battle.

• TenmaruTenmaru Posts: 105
    edited December 1969

Can't Keiko be a male name?

Well, in real world the answer is absolutely no. This name is not unisex, but female only. All Japanese names which end with -ko are female only, because it's the ending for female names. The male-only ending is -ro

I already saw how some vendors named their male characters or shape presets with female names. I can recall there was Naoko used for male character. This is no-no...

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,800
    edited December 1969

Say, since people are bringing Keiko 6 into this as well, I'm going to change the topic title and let the Admins merge mine and SereneNight's threads. here in the Commons. :)

• LintonLinton Posts: 542
    edited December 1969

Tenmaru said:

Can't Keiko be a male name?

Well, in real world the answer is absolutely no. This name is not unisex, but female only. All Japanese names which end with -ko are female only, because it's the ending for female names. The male-only ending is -ro

I already saw how some vendors named their male characters or shape presets with female names. I can recall there was Naoko used for male character. This is no-no...

Female to male naming is common in anime. The latest, Free! Iwatobi Swim Club has all male cast, each with female names. Makoto, Huraka, Nagisa, Rei, and Rin.

This doesn't make it technically correct, but then Heavenly Hirani Tiger Lily, isn't exactly a normal girl's name, nor is Apple, Peaches, or Zelda.

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

Here in the US, Monique is used mostly by black women, so I wouldn't surprise if she is our ethnic African Lady.

edited December 1969

Say, since people are bringing Keiko 6 into this as well, I'm going to change the topic title and let the Admins merge mine and SereneNight's threads. here in the Commons. :)

Well... If BehindTheName is correct, then Keiko - taking into account the suffix "ko" supposedly means "child" - could be a little Asian girl. Since we get really similar and/or not difficult to achieve with morph kits DAZ Original major shapes, it could happen.

Here in the US, Monique is used mostly by black women, so I wouldn't surprise if she is our ethnic African Lady.

Really? That's interesting.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,560
    edited December 1969

Tenmaru is right, the name "Keiko" is strictly female. Whether we get an anime character or a realistic Japanese female character is the real question.

I hope Monique does turn out to be a black character, I'm still using Elite V4 Marie as my main dark skin texture. ;)

edited December 1969

...But the merchant resource kit is extremely expensive. It also doesn't allow sharing for free, so you cannot give it to anyone. Felicity is excellent, but her skin is a reddish brown. The other characters are really neat too, but their skin is very even. So more variety would be appreciated, obviously. In this case, the more, the merrier.

• oomuoomu Posts: 175
    edited December 1969

Keiko is definitely a female name. No debate here. It cannot be a name for a boy.. Keiko is a common name in Japan.

-ko is a the kanji for "children" but it's used for female name anyway : Aiko, Nanako, Yoko, Kyoko, Noriko..

• oomuoomu Posts: 175
    edited December 1969

Monique is indeed an often used first name for a girl in France. "la belle" is french, of course.

I guess it's a white skin character.

edited December 2014

lainsd said:
    Monique is indeed an often used first name for a girl in France. "la belle" is french, of course.

I guess it's a white skin character.

I don't know, I knew a couple of Haitian girls named Monique before.

If the French-Vanilla name (don't worry, I'm of both Quebecian and French decent ;) ) puts any African-goes off, let's keep in mind that names like Rob and Marie aren't exactly Zimbabwean in nature, either.

Post edited by RCDeschene on
    edited December 1969

RCDeschene, great point. So one can hope, correct? I really hope there will be more non-Caucasian major shapes.

• TenmaruTenmaru Posts: 105
    edited December 2014

Female to male naming is common in anime. The latest, Free! Iwatobi Swim Club has all male cast, each with female names. Makoto, Huraka, Nagisa, Rei, and Rin.

You've mistaken. All the names you've listed are actual unisex ones, but not "female-to-male". I've been studying Japanese for nine years and lived in Japan, where I met a lot of Japanese guys. And I can say that Makoto and Haruka are really common names for males, other three are not widely used, but still they are unisex . Anyway I can't really get your point, because I was only talking about names which end in -ko, and these are STRICTLY for females.
    If you're making some conclusions about real names based purely on anime, I'd advise you not to. Can be pretty misleading.

Post edited by Tenmaru on
    edited December 1969

Agreed. I know problems with naming pets with unisex names (well, pets' names are usually unisex even if their human versions are not). Imagine a situation where an alpha male named Amber is referred to "What a cute doggie girl!" - such people should be prepared for biting.

edited December 1969

Yeah, We can all bet that Keiko is going to be a Japanese-themed female, and most-likely Hitomi's successor this generation's "3D Anime Girl" at that.

edited December 1969

Yeah, We can all bet that Keiko is going to be a Japanese-themed female, and most-likely Hitomi's successor this generation's "3D Anime Girl" at that.

Is not Hitomi like Anubis? I mean, not from the major shapes' line? I could imagine an Asian teen or girl, since we got two Asian major shapes we could otherwise achieve with morph kits.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

Hitomi, while well supported and released with much fan-fare, was a PA character, not a Daz character.

edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    Hitomi, while well supported and released with much fan-fare, was a PA character, not a Daz character.

So I was right. Thank you, Fisty. Any ideas on Keiko or Monique?

edited December 2014

True, but let's all remember that Hitomi's not just any PA character:

1. Hitomi is made by MallenLane, the contracted PA behind much of DAZ 3D's main character technology.

2. Hitomi has support that only DO Icons receive (unique UV, Capsces Poses, etc.).

3. Hitomi inherited the "3D Anime Girl" title that originally belonged to Aiko.

4. Hitomi's male counter-part is Hiro 5.

5. Hitomi was included in a base character sale at the end of Gen 5.

Even a DAZ member, at one point, stepped forward and explained that we can consider Hitomi an "honorary Gen 5 character".

figure-sale.jpg
    500 x 389 - 67K
    Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

You know better than to ask a PA that... :-P ;-)

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 2014

Fisty said:

You know better than to ask a PA that... :-P ;-)lol. And I revert to my former thought, that the names alone are to vague to even guess (human, doll, other, etc).

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,608
    edited December 1969

Maybe more teen figures to accompany the recent release?

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Wow, sounds exciting! Lets guess how she´s gonna look. I think she could be a bit curvy, spanish/portugese looking beauty!

That would be great. The main Ethnic DO's have always been an Asian, African, and Native trio, always leaving me to wonder why the more Metaterranian and Middle Eastern races are excluded. Granted Gen 4 had a few nice-looking Elite skins like Natasha and Ariana, but they were over-shadowed by the more notable ones like the ones in the V4 & M4 Elite Bundles.

Natasha remains one of my favorite textures!

edited December 1969

Wow, sounds exciting! Lets guess how she´s gonna look. I think she could be a bit curvy, spanish/portugese looking beauty!

That would be great. The main Ethnic DO's have always been an Asian, African, and Native trio, always leaving me to wonder why the more Metaterranian and Middle Eastern races are excluded. Granted Gen 4 had a few nice-looking Elite skins like Natasha and Ariana, but they were over-shadowed by the more notable ones like the ones in the V4 & M4 Elite Bundles.

Natasha remains one of my favorite textures!if only she was a G2F texture.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,349
    edited December 1969

Has anyone considered if Keiko could be a cat-girl or a dog-girl? I believe this is a popular theme in many Japanese manga and anime (though I confess I am not an expert on this genre). I am not talking about similar characters to RawArt's Dog World and Cat World characters, but something much more stylized and cute, with a basically human face, but with big eyes and soft floppy ears.

edited December 1969

Havos said:
    Has anyone considered if Keiko could be a cat-girl or a dog-girl? I believe this is a popular theme in many Japanese manga and anime (though I confess I am not an expert on this genre). I am not talking about similar characters to RawArt's Dog World and Cat World characters, but something much more stylized and cute, with a basically human face, but with big eyes and soft floppy ears.yes. Other, or "etc". What dose the fox say, or dolphin. An Eurypterid (Jaekelopterus) :coolhmm:

Fisty said:

You know better than to ask a PA that... :-P ;-)

lol. And I revert to my former thought, that the names alone are to vague to even guess (human, doll, other, etc).