Is Bryce dead or alive ?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2015

LOL Sandy I started off playing with a ZX 80 and then a spectrum for fun when my boys got into computers. They then moved on to an Amstrad for some reason, and I stayed with Amstrad and basic until I acquired a 2nd user (just) 486 DX2 66 as repayment for a debt and discovered windoze (Win 3.1) and the rest is history. My subsequent computers also had many refurbs up till the last two, both of which are still in operation. The older one was built for me in Jan 2006 and has win XP, this one was built in September 2012, and I still remember David advising me that a new computer was more important than a new gas cooker, and I could just sand the rust of the cooker and repaint it, with Fran joining in and telling me not to forget to photograph the rust first and use it as a texture.

Strangely enough the cooker never did get replaced, we left it behind when we moved as this house came supplied with a built in cooker.

The other Computer did need replacing as it was a single core with only 1mb ram, and Bryce 7 didn't do well on it, but Himself is still quite happily playing games on it.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102
    edited March 2015

I also had an Atari games console when the girls were wee :)

Now that I think about it I still have all of them plus the games and programs in boxes and I have a feeling I have three 1200's in the loft.

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,503
    edited December 1969

@user.operator - being in a Bryce forum means to meet with Bryce users. I got the impression that you're not overly enthusiastic about Bryce. My question is: what sofware do you recommend to replace Bryce with?

@Sandy - I started - like Pam - with ZX 80 by Sir Clive Sinclair and I had to order it from the UK. I bought the ZX81 ROM, built the hardware with discreate ICs and 64 KB RAM, extended the BASIC to 12 KB, then got Husband's FORTH so I got a dual boot system. Not much 3D graphics then. Then I went CP/M, CP/M+ and UCSDp until MS-DOS came and got my first graphics GUI with GeoWorks Ensemble before Windows came and the first two versions weren't of any use. I got 3.1, 95, 98SE, 2000, XP and 7 in sequence.

• edited December 1969

As to Bryce being dead or not, I have no idea... I honestly don't think we'll see another version of it. It would be nice to be able to get the current version, though. I have 6.3, and I found a link (from Google, couldn't find it searching this site!) for 7 Pro, but can't find a link to purchase 7.1 at all! Unless 7.1 is automatically added when you buy 7Pro, since it's a version update, but they should make that clear, afterall; Carrara 8.5 is available for purchase.

I think the fact that they've removed Bryce and Carrara from the Technology section of the site says it all.

I would actually like to know how to get hold of 7.1 as I quite enjoyed Bryce.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited March 2015

Djonma said:
    As to Bryce being dead or not, I have no idea... I honestly don't think we'll see another version of it. It would be nice to be able to get the current version, though. I have 6.3, and I found a link (from Google, couldn't find it searching this site!) for 7 Pro, but can't find a link to purchase 7.1 at all! Unless 7.1 is automatically added when you buy 7Pro, since it's a version update, but they should make that clear, afterall; Carrara 8.5 is available for purchase.

I think the fact that they've removed Bryce and Carrara from the Technology section of the site says it all.

I would actually like to know how to get hold of 7.1 as I quite enjoyed Bryce.

Should still be valid I will check http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/how-to-download-bryce-pro.html

Yup and presently on offer at under $10

Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited March 2015
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited March 2015

And if you have a few extra dollars to spend, today everything in the DAZ store is 50% off. Check out the Bryce offerings, especially those of David and Horo. http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=bryce

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • edited December 1969

It turns out I bought Bryce 7 ages ago hehe. Thanks though!
    I've spent today hunting through the product lists looking for stuff... I can't really afford much though, so might end up just having to get Genesis things as I stopped using Daz when Genesis came out, and am now pondering starting again.

edited March 2015

Bryce is fun, and of course it does have a bridge to Daz Studio so you can use your DS stuff in Bryce. :coolsmirk:

• Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
    edited May 2015

Thanks Horo, and David, for your "Bryce 4 Bible" info.

Post edited by Retro Lad on
  • JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

There will never be another "bible" like Kitchen's masterwork on Bryce 5, absent some miracle. I picked up a used copy and have not regretted. It covers the basics very well. Although I've only ever used 7, the interface is much the same; just some new buttons to try out and dials to fiddle with.

You can learn everything from various tutorials online, but Kitchen's book makes it easier to find answers to specific questions quickly, when Google et al. fails. Among other things it has many helpful color illustrations demonstrating the effects of various settings, that you will not find anywhere else (that I know of). Well worth it for the Bryce hobbyist, and can be had for an inexpensive price.

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

JStryder said:
    There will never be another "bible" like Kitchen's masterwork on Bryce 5, absent some miracle.

One should, of course, never say never, but, nevertheless, there never was a Kitchens' opus on Bryce 5. Her marathon effort ended at version 4.

That version limit is not too much of a limitation, even today, for learnin' Brycers (like me), as nearly all the basics still apply - brilliantly.

Twenty bucks for Bryce and something similar for a S/H copy of this book (plus free Brinnen and Wernli videos).

It's a small miracle.

As would be the final verse of tonight's musical accompaniment to the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Tpq7tzsms

edited April 2015

[style=buttonLarge]LOL[/style]

• Francis TaylorFrancis Taylor Posts: 84
    edited April 2015

Bryce is very much alive. & It's because of guys like Horo & David Brinnen that the true potential of the software can be realized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETrHs-Zy8Jg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz44MsNJ6lc

Post edited by Francis Taylor on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,884
    edited December 1969

One challenge for me is to use Bryce to create imagery that has the look and feel of some of the paintings of de Chirico, Magritte, Pierre Roy, Delvaux, but that requires the finishing touches being done in a painting program to give the image a painterly feel, and look.
    I own a version of Painter, which is also a fun program to dabble with. I generally prefer it to Photoshop.

When I first saw this surrealistic Bryce rendered image at the CG Society website it mentioned Bryce as being the program used to make this image, but the "made in Bryce" reference has been removed. Why? I don't know.

http://lithan.cgsociety.org/art/framing-life-3d-953948

You could look for the work of Giulband at Renderosity. He sometimes makes rather painterly renders. Don't ask me how! See for example: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2597505&user_id=765086&member;&np;
  • wscottartwscottart Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Where is my Bryce update? What reasons do I have to continue lurking around here? My purchases here are declining sharply and all the new applications you are flirting around with interest me very little to none.

:(

edited December 1969

wscottart said:
    Where is my Bryce update? What reasons do I have to continue lurking around here? My purchases here are declining sharply and all the new applications you are flirting around with interest me very little to none.

:(

Unless you are already using Bryce 7.1 Pro then there are no updates.

Reasons for lurking can be summed up in one; this is the place to read, watch and learn how to use Bryce as it is at the moment.

Just about everything that you buy for DAZ Studio can be sent from that program to Bryce and used in scenes, I do it all the time. Unfortunately with Bryce being a 32 bit program that restricts the amount of memory each scene can use but there are ways around that as you will know if you read through the posts on here, or just ask.

For example this first scene uses the dragon from DAZ Studio.

The second one uses trees from Xfrog.

The third one uses Sand City(?) and Space Rover from DAZ Studio

sand-city-rover-005.jpg
    800 x 600 - 297K
    tropical-morning-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 484K
    drawn-to-the-light-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 504K
  • CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

@Fishtales - Oh, Sandy! Those are nice. That first one reminds very much of a scene from Jurassic Park. You shouldn't have posted it here, so you could enter it in the current render challenge. Perhaps with some changes ...

edited December 1969

CTippetts said:
    @Fishtales - Oh, Sandy! Those are nice. That first one reminds very much of a scene from Jurassic Park. You shouldn't have posted it here, so you could enter it in the current render challenge. Perhaps with some changes ...

Thank you!

I seldom watch TV or films so I wouldn't know. Unfortunately those have already been posted in threads and in my Gallery :-)

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

@Fishtales - If you change it ... perhaps changing the background by adding a wall, and the camera angle ... doesn't it qualify as a "new render"?

edited December 1969

Is Bryce dead or alive ?

Sometimes

• edited December 1969

So I've been running bryce 7 pro on my Maverick-running iMac using the WINE Emulator, - god it's slow!

Is anyone else using it this way?

Also - sometimes when I'm selecting something from the pop-out menus, it'll work fine for a while, it will let me select something then all of a sudden I cannae go into that menu anymore - whether it's to pick an object or even to centre my camera to that selection.. the menu pops out and disappears when I go into it.....why is that happening? is it badly-written code or something? how does one fix it?

• edited December 1969

seriously! it's getting to be like we're not even allowed to use Bryce anymore - as mentioned previously, I'm running it Bryce 7.1 under WINE, but every time I try to import an object it crashes - whether i save it as 3DS, OBJ or even DXF - this is SOOO frustrating. Why are DAZ not releasing a new Bryce for Mavericks? The demand is there isn't it?

edited June 2015

It appears that Bryce has been retired and sent packing to a sleazo, fleabag, Utah retirement home. When Bryce croaks the corpse will be dissected and bits of it will be grafted into Daz Studio.

An announcement will appear that goes something like this,
    "Daz 3D website will no longer support Bryce. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, and we will always be grateful to the Bryce community........." so on, and so on.
    Maybe Daz3D will give the orphaned Brycers some kind of Store credit voucher in compensation, or pay for suicide prevention therapy.

edited December 1969

May take another few days until that happens. A new product for Bryce hit the store today.

edited June 2015

Bryce is rescued from a premature burial by Horo, who is seen wearing a wig or maybe he dyed his hair.

Pic0321.jpg
    720 x 405 - 75K
    edited December 1969

Well, I am helping a bit in the Bryce rescue attempt.
    I just purchased Horo's "Terrain Editor" and David Brinnen's discounted "Bryce Pro Cloudscapes".

edited December 1969

@FlashGarcia - thank you very much for helping the economy grow, keep Bryce in the minds of folks and buy us a nice cup of coffee.

• davsni101davsni101 Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Hello, I'm brand new to the forums. I've been using Bryce since it had the letters KTP in front of it. So, I'm quite unhappy with the way it appears to be getting the brush off by DAZ3D.

I have major projects that I've been working on for years (not much spare time all in one place). I was working on an older MacBook Pro, limited to OS X 10.6.11. I had no serious trouble with Bryce 7pro except when one project got so large (an incredible # of objects). My problem is, now that my old faithful MacBook Pro has become nearly calcified (stays on for about 5 minutes), I had to finally move up to a 2014 model of the mac-mini.

Now I know you're not supposed to try to use Bryce 7pro on op systems greater than 10.7, but I thought what the heck, it couldn't hurt to give it a try. I went to DAZ and accessed my purchases record and was successful in downloading everything having to do with DAZ Studio, but would you know it, there's no way of re-downloading Bryce 7pro available. I can download content files and other related files, but no main software download is available. Does DAZ have some way of analyzing my system and deciding I can't download the software?

I guess now I'm left with getting a refurbished mac that runs 10.6.11 so I can continue my projects, or start from scratch on some other software I can't even find.

Dave Snider
    Author of "Stars In the Deep: Destiny

• davsni101davsni101 Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

BTW...

If you visit my book website www.starsinthedeep-destiny.com (sorry, don't know how to make links on this forum), you'll find the website art
    and my book cover were made entirely using Bryce 7Pro, PDFed to Artboard and formatted for the use in the publication process.