Is Bryce dead or alive ?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,578
    StuartB said:

@Greycat " I remember when Bryce 7.5 came out"

I think you may mean 7.1 as there is no 7.5

And 7.0 came out 5 years ago.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,503

Greycat - Bryce 7.1 came out 4 years ago (15. Aug 2011) not 7. Not that this makes it any better. just for the records. Perhaps a start would be to have all software DAZ 3D owns were advertised, not only Studio.

• magnabobmagnabob Posts: 14

I visit here periodically hoping I will find some good Bryce news, but I never do. I love Bryce. I've used it since the first version and I still find it awesome-- well except for the big bugaboo of getting textures imported correctly on models. That seems impossible. With some updated importers and a 64 bit version, Bryce could on top again . I'm a Poser user who tried to switch to Daz3D but finally gave up because of the horrendous problems of getting my hundreds of dollars worth of content to work in Daz (all bought from Daz, all installed by Daz installers, 90% of which never worked [smart bow you say?]). After spending hours trying to get Studio to find the content. I quit. Anyway, Daz is trying to make money, and this whole update controversy reminds of the last days of the Apple II, in which Apple blew smoke up all our skirts and kept us plunking dollars for Apple II products ("Apple II Forever!"), while all the time they had plans to dump the Apple II and screw us all over with the cool Mac. Liars lie. Vue might be a good sub for Bryce but like Daz Studio, it is obnoxious to use and I think it has taken on the Adobe model of nickel and diming us to death (Say hello to Corel Photopaint if you're tired of that). So, Bryce is the best. I just wish they'd sell it to a good company who might support the product and its users. Good=Pixologic/Zbrush. Sorry. Rant over.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Noted in this post    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19948/info-for-mac-users-regarding-os-x-lion-mountain-lion-and-os-x-mavericks

# Bryce 7 was released before OS x 7 was released by Apple

# Bryce 7 dev cycle was wound up before the release of OS X 7

The changes that Apple made to OS X 10.7 is what made Bryce stop working in those versions ov the Mac OS.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

you know there is a program ( 64 bit ) much like Bryce and you can use a lot of Bryce and

DS and Poser stuff in it - free and paid version - check it out here -

Terragen 3
    http://planetside.co.uk/products/terragen3

I had started 3D with Terragen 1 until I could afford Bryce. I still have 2, but I haven't used it for ages.

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249

I made some of my first renders in Terragen (not sure if it was 1 or 2) a good 10 or 11 years ago I think - I'd forgotten about it. I didn't know you could use DAZ stuff in it - might have to take a look. It really was awesome back the, so should still be now (no, not abandoning  Bryce yet!)

• Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471

I saved a bunch of the Terragen websites showcase images for reference, today.

I also downloaded the free version to see what Terragen's interface is like. FORGET IT. In my opinion their whole user interface approach stinks. Worse than Vue.

So it's bye bye to Terragen Bigh. But thanks for mentioning it. Now I know I can cross that program off the list of alternatives for Bryce.

I saved a bunch of the Terragen websites showcase images for reference, today.

I also downloaded the free version to see what Terragen's interface is like. FORGET IT. In my opinion their whole user interface approach stinks. Worse than Vue.

So it's bye bye to Terragen Bigh. But thanks for mentioning it. Now I know I can cross that program off the list of alternatives for Bryce.

sorry you didn't like it .

you know you have to learn any thing new - just like you did with Bryce .

• Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471

If we could all get just one new feature for Bryce, I would choose 64 bit ability. I am not a programmer so I don't know how difficult and expensive it would be to make Bryce 64 bit.

Meanwhile, we get older, our hair turns white, our teeth drop out, ....

If we could all get just one new feature for Bryce, I would choose 64 bit ability. I am not a programmer so I don't know how difficult and expensive it would be to make Bryce 64 bit.

for sure laugh

... and get wiser, too. devil I agree on 64-bit. That would be a major undertaking, it was attempted for 7.0 but it would have overrun the budget.

• I come back here every few months hoping to read some good news.  Not surprised there isn't any.

64 Bit is not that hard, and we have to stop making excuses for DAZ on this.  If it were that hard to do, we wouldn't have so many 64 bit application options in the world today, and certainly not any free ones.  But as we all know, there is no dearth of 64 bit options; in fact nearly every content creation software product upgraded in the last 10 years has gone 64 bit.  Maybe the most difficult part would be rewriting parts of Bryce to be compliant with current compilers; not so much the 64 bit part.

No, the reason we don't have 64 bit Bryce is the same reason that we don't have a new Bryce at all.  And that reason is because DAZ doesn't want to do it.  Simple.  Inexcusable.

And Bigh...contracts can be changed so that the source code could be released.  Same reason:  DAZ doesn't want to do it.  Simple.  And inexcusable.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I just started using Bryce a couple of days ago and love it.  And have every intention of contintuing to use it for as long as I possible can.  super super easy to use and figure out and lots of helpful tutorials still around.  Makes me sad to read that it may never go further but its a pretty good program as is.  The memory thing is a bit annoying so I have to agree with the whole 64 bit thing but I just loaded the large aware program so things should go a bit more smoothly now. 

• If I remember correctly, Large Address Aware really only increases Windows' awareness of address space sizes, and only if you have 32 bit Windows.  If you are running 64 bit Windows 7 or 8, it won't matter to Bryce; Bryce can only see what it can see being a 32 bit application.

You are right, Bryce is wonderful, and you should enjoy it while you can.  But definitely showing its age, which you will probably find out in the first 3-6 months of using it.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

If I remember correctly, Large Address Aware really only increases Windows' awareness of address space sizes, and only if you have 32 bit Windows.  If you are running 64 bit Windows 7 or 8, it won't matter to Bryce; Bryce can only see what it can see being a 32 bit application.

You are right, Bryce is wonderful, and you should enjoy it while you can.  But definitely showing its age, which you will probably find out in the first 3-6 months of using it.

Well that's okay its sufficient for what I need it for and super easy to use. I just discovered the whole 3d thing so to me its all new anyway lol.

Subtropic Pixel - not quite correct. A 32-bit Windows can only address 4 GB, 64-bit Win much more. A 32-bit application can potentially use 4 GB but 2 GB are reserved for some operating system use. With a flag, you can tell Windows to not use that reserved address space. Win32 uses between 1 and 2 GB (depending whether XP, 7, ect) to run, so making a 32-bit application large address aware doesn't make much sense.

• Yes, of course you're right Horo.  I had forgotten, but then again Windows Vista 64 bit came out at the end of 2006, and I migrated to it shortly therafter.  A few years after that, and gradually at first, memory intensive applications started being (ahem) updated to 64 bit, and I migrated to them too.

Today, 64 bit consumer OSs have been available for 9 years now, and creative content applications have offered 64 bit counterparts for at least the last 5-6 of those.

So then can somebody explain why DAZ thinks it's okay to force Bryce users into this arcane voodoo about memory settings here in 2015?  Are we not loud enough in our complaints, or is it just that we are not persistent enough?  Is it "only" about money?  Even if it where, there'd be no reason for DAZ to hesitate.  A lot of people would be willing to pay for a Bryce upgrade.

• True, Chohole, true.  But beat the deceased equine I must, because without doing so, I fear that I am not fighting on behalf of my Bryce brothers and sisters with the 100% effort that they deserve.

I've seen your work, and Horo's, and David Brinnen's, too.  Each of you deserves a new Bryce, and anything less is a disservice to you as supporters and especially as artists.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859

i would love to see a 64bit version of bryce! ....it would really unleash the massive amount of potential that bryce already has and then some! smiley

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

Is Bryce dead or alive?

It's very much alive as evidenced by the amounts of excellent renders on this forum which match and exceed the quility of other softwares.

But though it is alive at the moment, it's unlikely that it will be having any children any time soon.

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,182

Hello to Daz,

For many years we ask the question : what is the future for Bryce. Is Bryce dead or alive ?

For those of us on Macs, it is dead and has been for quite some time now.

Chohole said:

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

For those of us on Macs, it is dead and has been for quite some time now.

Errrr.... no... I'm on a Mac. smiley

• I go away for 10 months, and when I come back all my Bryce user friends are still checking for a pulse! laugh

err  no , not really.   Most Bryce Users are relatively happy and plodding along with all the great stuff we can do with our fave program.

• AtlantisAtlantis Posts: 133

I still love bryce...

But what i dont understand is ..... that Daz3d makes tons of money with their stuff....but they can't find someone to hire.. to fix that dang spotlight problem in bryce..

3d is all about light and shadows...and one of the most important light sources is a spotlight... do you use one..light cone works perfect... but if you use a second one..

TATAAAAAMMMMMM   light cones gone....

@ DAZ3D.... FIX THAT DANG PROBLEM, AND BRYCE WILL RAISE SEVERAL LEVELS HIGHER IN 3D WORLD  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Been using Bryce since 1997 when I bought 3D new in the box for full retail. I'll keep using it (now on V7.x Pro) as long as I'm able, though it would be nice to see... one.final.update. that would allow me to take full advantage of my quad core 64bit computer.

• Rocco_9Rocco_9 Posts: 11

I have a real soft spot for Bryce, it is one of the first pieces of software I ever purchased back in the 90’s. I have used it since Bryce 4 and now Bryce 7.1 Pro. I have always enjoyed it and it is amazing that I can go away from it for months – or even years - and come back and pick up using it just like it was yesterday.

I have been watching the wonderful David Brinnen and Horo training videos recently and they have really opened my eyes to just how powerful Bryce 7.1 Pro actually is under the bonnet! It really is a marvellous piece of software.

I have resisted moving to other landscape software because I was not willing to go through a new learning curve (getting cantankerous in my old age) but I have recently purchased Terragen 3 and have been spending time learning that - it too seems powerful and a wonderful piece of software. A major thing with Terragen is that it is upgraded and improved over time and my recent purchase gives me a free update to the latest version when it is released – a big incentive for me to purchase!

Having said that, I will always keep Bryce around for as long as it continues to open on my computer, to tinker with when the mood takes me. I would be more than happy to welcome an upgrade to at least 64-bit - imagine the power that could unleash within the program!

I guess, if there was a major upgrade event, Bryce may no longer be the (nearly) free program it is now. An upgrade would require time and people and skills that all need to be – and should be - paid for.

Would I happily pay for an upgrade if Daz announced Bryce was now the same price as say, the latest versions of Terragen or Vue? I certainly would, because of my enduring love of the program.

But Daz would want to know at the outset that money invested in an upgrade would be returned to them in sales – they are a commercial venture after all.

Like many others here, I would be very sad if Bryce just disappeared into oblivion and became a faded memory, which seems to be a distinct possibility – already there are issues with latest Mac operating systems and although it does seem to work with Windows 10, will it continue to do so as Windows evolves and changes in the future?  

Just my 2 cents worth – I have been following this topic with interest for some time now.