Is Bryce dead or alive ?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,578
    edited December 1969

Download Bryce 7, the serial number is what makes it Pro.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited December 1969

davsni101 said:
    Hello, I'm brand new to the forums. I've been using Bryce since it had the letters KTP in front of it. So, I'm quite unhappy with the way it appears to be getting the brush off by DAZ3D.

I have major projects that I've been working on for years (not much spare time all in one place). I was working on an older MacBook Pro, limited to OS X 10.6.11. I had no serious trouble with Bryce 7pro except when one project got so large (an incredible # of objects). My problem is, now that my old faithful MacBook Pro has become nearly calcified (stays on for about 5 minutes), I had to finally move up to a 2014 model of the mac-mini.

Now I know you're not supposed to try to use Bryce 7pro on op systems greater than 10.7, but I thought what the heck, it couldn't hurt to give it a try. I went to DAZ and accessed my purchases record and was successful in downloading everything having to do with DAZ Studio, but would you know it, there's no way of re-downloading Bryce 7pro available. I can download content files and other related files, but no main software download is available. Does DAZ have some way of analyzing my system and deciding I can't download the software?

I guess now I'm left with getting a refurbished mac that runs 10.6.11 so I can continue my projects, or start from scratch on some other software I can't even find.

Dave Snider
    Author of "Stars In the Deep: Destiny

If you bought Bryce 7 Pro from daz3d.com then it should be accessible from your Product Library (via the "My Account" link on the website) (including if you "bought" it for free, back when it was free). However, if you got Bryce from a CD or other source, it won't show up in your Product Library and you will need to either purchase it from the store, or contact Customer Service.
  • davsni101davsni101 Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Hello!

Thanx for the comment.
    Yes, I bought and downloaded Bryce 7pro from daz3d.com, back in 1013. I went to the product library today and tried to re-download it like I did all the other products
    I can no longer access on the old computer. I found Bryce 7pro and clicked download. I was taken to a page with information about the product and the option to download two files:

BryceLightning_7.1.0.109_Mac.zip
    and
    BryceProContent_7.0.0.19_Mac.zip

There is no option to download the main software file.

edited December 1969

Thanx Fixmypcmike:

The point is, I can't download the main software anymore. I had no problem with Hexagon, which also appears to be going the way of the Dodo.

edited December 1969

At the bottom of the Bryce 7 Pro download page, underneath the Lightning and Pro Content downloads, is a line that reads "This product is a bundle that contains the following product..." followed by an icon for Bryce 7. Click on that icon to go to the Bryce 7 download page, where you can download the actual application and the non-Pro content.

edited December 1969

BTW Fixmypcmike:

I did look at re-downloading Bryce 7. I found the same thing. The two files: BryceContent_7.0.0.21_Mac.zip and Bryce_7.1.0.109_Mac32.zip were all that I could find. When I download those files, or the two for Bryce Pro 7, my computer asks where the main program is. It's not on my computer because I can't re-download it.

edited December 1969

Bryce_7.1.0.109_Mac32.zip is the main program, make sure you install that first.

edited December 1969

I'm in the process of downloading those files again. We'll see what happens.

edited December 1969

To fixmypcmike:

Well, Thanx for your help. The download was successful, but then things went south from there.
    Yes, I know it says not to try to run Bryce 7 on an operating system greater than OS X 10.6.11, but I thought, 'what the heck.' Well it's true. The opening screen comes up and the registration info field shows up, but when i enter the name and serial # as instructed and tap the Checkmark, the whole program shuts down "unexpectedly."

I certainly hope you all don't decide to abandon Bryce. It has been a mainstay for a long time. You folks have put a lot of effort into improving it and making it possible to place Daz Studio objects (people and such) into the Bryce environment. It would be a crying shame to just throw all that away.

If you do, you will cause a great amount of unhappiness with a broad customer base. If nothing else, can you at least make it compatible with modern OS's. A LOT of blood, sweat and tears has gone into my projects and now, it looks like I may have to start from scratch.

What other affordable software is out there that has the versatility to create not only landscapes and such, but physical objects that do not represent living beings?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

As stated in this post http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19948/

# Some Mac Users have been successful in getting Bryce 7 working either under parallels or using Boot Camp.
  • tchadelaudtchadelaud Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Hello,

When I opened the subject, I did not think we would be as many to ask the question of the future of Bryce. I want to thank everyone who participated in these exchanges. I have carefully read all the posts. We have substantially the same analysis: no future development for Bryce but no official communication on this subject.
    It's a shame because I think Bryce has its place next to Carrara and it's a good product. All these exchanges are proof of this and the expression of a need for evolution. But we cannot wait indefinitely an update or an upgrade, in my opinion.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Hello,

When I opened the subject, I did not think we would be as many to ask the question of the future of Bryce. I want to thank everyone who participated in these exchanges. I have carefully read all the posts. We have substantially the same analysis: no future development for Bryce but no official communication on this subject.
    It's a shame because I think Bryce has its place next to Carrara and it's a good product. All these exchanges are proof of this and the expression of a need for evolution. But we cannot wait indefinitely an update or an upgrade, in my opinion.

000_i.jpg
    1028 x 694 - 169K
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited December 1969

I firmly believe we will see a 64-bit version of Bryce, about five minutes after 64-bit processing is obsolete.

edited December 1969

vrba79 said:
    I firmly believe we will see a 64-bit version of Bryce, about five minutes after 64-bit processing is obsolete.

:lol:

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

vrba79 said:

It's actually pretty easy to get 64-bit Bryce...open 2 instances of it. :-P

• Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
    edited July 2015

My private investigator tracked down the location where Daz3D Productions has housed it's Bryce 8 development team.
    Hmmm

Bryce_8_Headquarters.JPG
    900 x 1047 - 110K
    Post edited by Retro Lad on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    vrba79 said:

It's actually pretty easy to get 64-bit Bryce...open 2 instances of it. :-P

You sure you don't mean 2^32 instances?

• rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
    edited December 1969

I really want to buy a Bryce Upgrade in 64 bit version.

Also were the above renders of the Bryce devlopment offices done in Bryce or are they original photographs.

Just looks to me like, Bryce has value that isn't being recognized.

Here are some Infusion Pro reviews... a $2,500 application

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js086YRCs00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BttGiMLxVlg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69ncS-sr54

edited July 2015

rampart1,

The Bryce Development Office picture is not my artwork, or render.
    I found the CG image on a website, somewhere.
    It is not a photo but models made and arranged in either 3DMax, or Cinema3D. I thought it was a photo until I read the description. I sent it to a cousin and she thought it was a photograph until I told her it was a computer graphics generated image.
    Amazing what can be done with CG these days.
    I posted the image as a joke. I have a dry, macabre, sense of humor sometimes.

Here a description of the trailer image
    http://www.3dtotal.com/index_gallery_detailed2-r.php?id=3552#.VZmSe53n84I

• edited December 1969

rampart1 said:
    I really want to buy a Bryce Upgrade in 64 bit version.

Also were the above renders of the Bryce development offices done in Bryce or are they original photographs.

Just looks to me like, Bryce has value that isn't being recognised.

Here are some Infusion Pro reviews... a $2,500 application

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js086YRCs00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BttGiMLxVlg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69ncS-sr54

Absolutely stunning!

Then the question would seem to be... can Infusion Pro import/open Bryce files?

If not then all our work in Bryce is trapped in an app that just doesnae work anymore

• rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
    edited December 1969

I posted the links to infusion pro to show there are alternatives to Bryce. The Infusion pro alternative is $2,500 EU
    Are the results that much more outstanding than 32 bit Bryce?

Think how much more Bryce is capable of doing than Infusion Pro.

Seriously, I don't begin to understand the lack of interest in Bryce by Daz.

edited July 2015

rampart1,

Seriously, I don’t begin to understand the lack of interest in Bryce by Daz

I don't either, but I have my suspicions.
    What we need here is a good independent investigative reporter, paired up with a good private investigator, to get to the bottom of Daz3D Productions real motivations, intentions, and plans for what they are doing, and not doing concerning their products, with an emphasis of course on Bryce.

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 485

In my Humble opinion...

Its always been a $ thang...

In order to bring Bryce to the fore front AGAIN...Its a total re-write of the program...

Bryce has been patched with so many different versions that it needs a total rewrite...

In the Bryce steering committee we talked about this and debated...

Everyone said the same thing re write...

DAZ has spent Millions into Bryce developement not talking about the price to purchase it from Corel..

Bryce would be dead and a memory for some and most new users might never had the chance to play...

So is it dead..?

Maybe not..If we start a gofund me MAYBE we can convince DAZ to start BETA again if the community will Pay for it..

edited July 2015

"If the community will pay for it"????

Daz spent millions in Bryce development, according to foley.

Are any of you old time Brycers mutli-millionaires? I can donate maybe 20 dollars from Paypal. Wow, that would really help.

• MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    edited August 2015

Not that I want to pile on here, but I guess I have to. As a Mac user, the only think keeping me from being able to use Bryce 7.1 on the latest Mac OS X is the serial number registration system, not the program itself. It's a fairly simple glitch that even Strata had with their registration system for their software. They got it fixed in a couple of weeks, but Daz has stubbornly ignored the problem. Without the need to get past that simple issue, the program would be fine.

I truly believe this speaks to the much larger issue of whether Bryce is still in Daz's future plans. All speculation aside, either for or against whether it has a future, you have to admit that the lack of response from Daz and the lack of updates to address fairly simple problems with the software gives us all cause for concern, even if it might be unwarranted. The move to 64-bit was such a big thing for so many companies, even Daz for Studio and Carrara, yet we got deafening silence when it came to Bryce. I understand that Bryce just came off a dev cycle when it was last released and it's possible that the programmers that would have done any of the updated work were either moved to other projects or moved on entirely, but it's been three (3) years without a peep from Daz.

I'd love to use Bryce again. I actually installed a copy in my Parallels Window partition, but the speed is attrocious. I can't use it in Snow Leopard as my computer won't run with an OS that old. If Bryce by chance stops running in Windows, I'm going to have to give up on Bryce altogether. I don't want to, but I can't use something that won't run on the equipment I use.

I continue to hold out hope that Bryce will one day see an update. But as the years pass, it gets slimmer and slimmer each time.

Long Live Bryce.

Post edited by MacSavers on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,840
    edited August 2015

MacSavers: No, it's not the registration, it crashes deep inside some custom CopyBits callback fuctions whenever closing a dialog, the code (from what you can see in the crashdump) is pretty nasty.

So if you're not registred, it looks like it's the registration that crashes, but if you have a registred Bryce, it cashes whenever you close any dialog, material chooser, whatever.

Post edited by Totte on
  • GreycatGreycat Posts: 334

In my opinion Bryce and Hexagon are dead! I remember when Bryce 7.5 came out there was a post from DAZ telling of all the great things that were planned for Bryce 8 and Hexagon 3 that were just around the corner; then the economy tank, and new management took over, nothing more has ever been said on the subject. That was over seven years ago. Hexagon and other software are created by dreamers who put their heart and soul into to their dreams. When the dreamer’s gone so is the dream. Those who are left don’t care about the dream; they only care about the bottom line. Don’t me get wrong; love of a dream will not pay the bills. If Bryce and Hexagon were up to date and running well, they should sell for over $300 a copy (which is what I paid for my first copy of Bryce over a decade ago). I just don’t think there are enough people willing to pay that much.

All that said, back over 15 years ago when I first got into Poser, Poser was badly in need of an update, which it hadn’t happened in years. The Poser community stepped up and found work-a-rounds for the bugs and ways to use bugs to make Poser do thing that weren’t originally in Poser. They leaned how to hack Poser to create new tools. I don’t see that happening anymore, to many people sit around and lament that DAZ has left their favorite software twisting in the wind. I say screw DAZ we don’t need them. It’s time for the community to step up; Bryce and Hexagon are not going to be updated so it up to us to find work-a-round for bug fixes and ways to hack these programs. I know there are people out there that can do this. If you care about Bryce or Hexagon you need to stop complaining about DAZ not updating your and do SOMETHING, if not then Bryce and Hexagon are likely to fade away.

One last thing; there’s always a monthly challenge, so this is my challenge to the community. Come up with a product that can be sold in the DAZ marketplace. If we can come with enough people with products in their marketplace then we can go to DAZ and tell them “If you don’t update our software we will pull our products from your store in mass, and you will receive no new products from us.” This may or may not work, but it will hit them where they live; their bottom line.

• Greycat said:
    ... It’s time for the community to step up; Bryce and Hexagon are not going to be updated so it up to us to find work-a-round for bug fixes and ways to hack these programs. I know there are people out there that can do this. If you care about Bryce or Hexagon you need to stop complaining about DAZ not updating your and do SOMETHING, if not then Bryce and Hexagon are likely to fade away.

I have been asking DAZ to release the source code for Bryce and Hexagon.  This is the only true way for longevity. 

Also, and I might rub some feathers the wrong way, but I see this is an ethical issue too.  DAZ should not continue to enjoy revenue (even if it is only $10 at a time) for a product that they will not support and will not improve.  That is wrong from a business standpoint, and it is wrong both morally and ethically, too.

Greycat said:
    ... It’s time for the community to step up; Bryce and Hexagon are not going to be updated so it up to us to find work-a-round for bug fixes and ways to hack these programs. I know there are people out there that can do this. If you care about Bryce or Hexagon you need to stop complaining about DAZ not updating your and do SOMETHING, if not then Bryce and Hexagon are likely to fade away.

I have been asking DAZ to release the source code for Bryce and Hexagon.  This is the only true way for longevity. 

Also, and I might rub some feathers the wrong way, but I see this is an ethical issue too.  DAZ should not continue to enjoy revenue (even if it is only $10 at a time) for a product that they will not support and will not improve.  That is wrong from a business standpoint, and it is wrong both morally and ethically, too.

I"m going to posts this one more time -

Daz can't release the source code !

It in the contract from who ever they got it from .

This has been posted many time .

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596

@Greycat " I remember when Bryce 7.5 came out"

I think you may mean 7.1 as there is no 7.5