Is Bryce dead or alive ?

1234568»

Comments

• therixx said:
    Bryce now refuses to work under WINE on my iMac so that's something i have to look into now - all my previous creations in Bryce, now useless.... Thank you so very much, DAZ

Come on Akeel, I'm sure you can find a way to run Bryce and not let them win.
    I have a Win 10 machine refusing to run Poser9. So I "persuaded" it by installing Poser9 in a Win XP virtual machine run by Oracle Virtualbox... :-)

We should be spending less time moving mountains to get it to work and more time "pursuading" DAZ to do the right thing and support their software or make it open source.  frown

No support at all is the WORST possible choice, not to mention it's inexcusable behavior from the maker.

Sure, "make it work", I get that.  But by not being vocal, we could be dooming future potential Bryce users to a drab and sunless existance, all because the software is so old, not suitable for large files, crashes too much, and won't even run on some modern OSs.  It's just NOT going to be in the younger generations' toolboxes, because they don't have time to fight this battle.  It's up to us.  It's up to you.  We really need the Brycers to stand up and speak up more, or nothing will happen.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    therixx said:
    Hope you did succeed, Lord of the Savage Towers :-)

And your render of the Bryce interface parts is simply brilliant!

Not got it on the iMac yet, but still constantly in use on the Macbook... And thanks, I was quite pleased at how they came out. smiley

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
      It's just NOT going to be in the younger generations' toolboxes, because they don't have time to fight this battle.  It's up to us.  It's up to you.  We really need the Brycers to stand up and speak up more, or nothing will happen.

Bryce is currently within the top 80 out of 22200+ products in the DAZ store, using both the "Trending Now" and "Most Popular" searches. It is always near the top selling items. It is a constant good seller for DAZ. Loads of people have bought it, and loads more continue to do so.

DAZ will notice the sales. They will notice the steady revenue stream. They will be aware of the wide customer base. If they see in these a possibility of making a return on the considerable investment needed to bring Bryce up to date, that will speak louder to them than anything.

•   It's just NOT going to be in the younger generations' toolboxes, because they don't have time to fight this battle.  It's up to us.  It's up to you.  We really need the Brycers to stand up and speak up more, or nothing will happen.

Bryce is currently within the top 80 out of 22200+ products in the DAZ store, using both the "Trending Now" and "Most Popular" searches. It is always near the top selling items. It is a constant good seller for DAZ. Loads of people have bought it, and loads more continue to do so.

DAZ will notice the sales. They will notice the steady revenue stream. They will be aware of the wide customer base. If they see in these a possibility of making a return on the considerable investment needed to bring Bryce up to date, that will speak louder to them than anything.

Someone mentioned make it open-source.  It is, for practical purposes.  Pick it up at a sale and it is amazing cheap.  A darn shame to let it die. I am getting ready to replace my win 7 system, and I doubt from what I've read it won't do Win10 64bit.  Anyway, maybe Vue or Worldcreator.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,503

rampert - there are folks running Bryce on Win 10, though I'm still using 7. Coddy sold WorldCreator; at this moment, there's only an Alpha version available from the new owner (I have GeoControl and the "old" WorldCreator, makes nice terrains that can be used in Bryce but is very limited to render a scene). Vue is a nice program, I know people that bought it and came back to Bryce, I also know some that stayed with Vue.

• waltn3mtjwaltn3mtj Posts: 112

The biggest wish on my list is that Bryce get one more update/patch to have it send to DS4 as the bridge only seems to work one direction. I've spent hours searching for resolutions to this as well as following links from people helping me here on the forums (I appreciate their help more than words can say, too!), then more, longer hours trying everything mentioned with no luck. If Bryce recognized DS4 - and send to DS4, I'd be in hog heaven! There is one more issue, but that is purely operator ignorance and will be part of a dedicated thread when I get around to it. I'm amazed at what Bryce 7 Pro can do and look forward to getting the most out of what it is capable of doing.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited October 2016

Someone mentioned make it open-source.  It is, for practical purposes.  Pick it up at a sale and it is amazing cheap.  A darn shame to let it die. I am getting ready to replace my win 7 system, and I doubt from what I've read it won't do Win10 64bit.  Anyway, maybe Vue or Worldcreator.

If you meant to ask whether Bryce 7 works with Win10 64bit, then yes, it does.

PS Same as Vue9 "Esprit".

Post edited by Mustakettu85 on
  • BarbfmcBarbfmc Posts: 50

Stopping by with the pitiful hope that out of the ashes, Bryce might rise again on the MAC platform. At least it lives in discussion. I so miss it. I had to move to the MAC. But I now can't use Corel anything. I don't care about the politics. I would just like to know about ubstitues. Eveything I did with landscapes and environments for my 3d characters had to do with Bryce. I'm willing to learn. I can't afford a backup PC.  I'm not even sure 1) that would work 2) my history with both would transfer to less expensive software - I'm behind as a beta tester for upgrades. Whatever. This is a loss. What is anyone who had to make the move to MAC doing - anyone who was a diehard PhotoPaint or  and Bryce user? You should see my object lliraries! :)  :(

Barbfmc said:

What is anyone who had to make the move to MAC doing - anyone who was a diehard PhotoPaint or  and Bryce user? You should see my object lliraries! :)  :(

Hi Barbfmc. I didn't "have" to make the move to Mac. I have always used a Mac (since the late 1980s).

However, I did have to make the move to the newer operating systems that will not run Bryce.

I very easily managed to keep feeding my Bryce addiction by finding a perfect condition, old model MacBook on eBay (£150) and I keep that with OS10.6 just for my Brycing. When you consider that Bryce used to be a lot more expensive than it is at the moment, the outlay for a second hand old model MacBook plus the $19.00 for Bryce makes it well worth while. Hope this helps.

• BarbfmcBarbfmc Posts: 50

I had not considered that, Dave. Thank-you!

Always a pleasure trying to help keep Bryce on Life Support. smiley

There is another much more complicated (and expensive) way of running Bryce on your new Mac, but it involves trying to find a copy of Snow Leopard Server software and Parallels (or other emulator), but just keeping an old Mac dedicated to Bryce is by far the easiest and cheapest way. smiley

• BurrManBurrMan Posts: 20
    edited November 2016

Post edited by BurrMan on
  • LOL is it dead, its been dead a long time 

• LOL is it dead, its been dead a long time 

Bryce is currently 75th most popular and 79th trending item out of 24117 (twenty-four-thousand-one-hundred-and-seventeen) items in the DAZ store, despite no special promotions. It is consistently high in both rankings. Not bad for something supposedly so long dead.

It's so alive, DAZ should be embarrassed about keeping it on starvation rations for so long.

• shaykallshaykall Posts: 109

C'mon guys lets face it Bryce the program is dead the same as Hexagon and (I could be wrong) Carrara. However the forums are alive and kicking providing valuable help and information, I visit them pretty much everyday in the hope that either Bryce or Hexagon have been updated.

I mentioned in the Hexagon forum some time ago my dissapointment and anger with DAZ in regards to them taking money for the programs without any heads up whatsoever as to the status of these programs and its seems pretty obvious that they are dead in the water.

I would love to see them both upgraded and would be willing to pay for them again but its only pie in the sky.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2016

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Couldn't resist taking a peek at where Bryce stands the day after the mayhem of the PC+ sale.

- Down from 75th "Most Popular" to 94th.

- Up from 79th "Trending Now" to 69th.

Out of 24332 items!

During this period Bryce has been selling amongst some brilliant new products at higher than normal discounts, as well as established giants (Victoria7, etc) at stupendous discounts. I didn't notice any special promotions for Bryce; it enjoyed a normal discount throughout like all the regular "DAZ Originals".

The trending figure indicates that it will go back up the popular chart as the PC+ bargains recede.

If Bryce is dead, it definitely hasn't stopped moving yet. ;-)

• I have the PLE edition and I lost my serial number and cant use Bryce PLE so I am a bit bummed. love the product and cant afford the new PRO version. so what do I do????????????

A bit late but I don't see an answer for you being posted.  You can get your serial number from your account. Click on the icon in the top left corner and select serial numbers or go here:

https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/serialnumbers