Celebrity Look-a-Likes for 3D figures Part 2

Comments

• Not quite...

It makes sense that they don't allow their mesh to be redistributed without an additional license but I'm glad they changed their minds on the morphs.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

In this era of social media, there are far worse things people can do instead of shooting visual facsimiles of their schoolmates in a video game, or doing power bombs to them in a wrestling video game. (I've always found 'pro' wrestling to be hilarious, so power bombing a best bud through a table in a ladder match would be just about the best thing ever, for both of us.) It is much easier to just photoshop their face into something horrible and post it to twitter or Facebook.

Anyway, I said I would upload what I came up with for Tom. So here is my rendition of Tom. The download is a preset with a head shape and 4 textures. The rest of the textures are just the standard Genesis male. I tested the preset on my laptop, so it should hopefully work. I haven't uploaded a character before.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/90427/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Tom-for-Genesis-3-Male

You might prefer to dial the morph back to 60-80%. At 100% it might be too cartoony. I think I remembered to adjust the rigging to shape using the tutorial from the FaceGen thread. Feel free to alter him as you wish. The textures are under "Outrider42 FG." I didn't include any eyes because FaceGen eye textures are terrible. So the preset calls on Eddie's eye textures and I set the base color to blue.

I could upload the .fg file for the FaceGen owners, then they could create Tom as a Genesis 1 or 2 character, or even a female.

I know FaceGen has a thread, but would people be open to a thread dedicated just to sharing FaceGen characters? That might be fun. The thread could have links to characters or the .fg files themselves. Maybe we can all shoot each other in our own scifi epic, LOL.

Thanks.

Check out this Cyndi Lauper video from the 80s doing her Goonies song 'Good Enough'. The wrestlers and crew are funny. 

https://youtu.be/LxLhytQ67fs

I never saw that, cute video. I saw the Goonies at some point, but I was pretty young and I have very little recollection of it other than it having a lot of Indiana Jones hijinx. That video is as 80's as it gets, LOL. I remember Cyndi did a lot of stuff with wrestling. I don't think wrestlers get enough props for their acting talents, especially the classic guys like in that clip. They could make even the most mundane things completely over the top.

Speaking of, we need more Daz wrestling stuff. New stuff. Though I know the WWE is super copyright happy when it comes to their stuff. I might try using FaceGen for some faces.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,076

In this era of social media, there are far worse things people can do instead of shooting visual facsimiles of their schoolmates in a video game, or doing power bombs to them in a wrestling video game. (I've always found 'pro' wrestling to be hilarious, so power bombing a best bud through a table in a ladder match would be just about the best thing ever, for both of us.) It is much easier to just photoshop their face into something horrible and post it to twitter or Facebook.

Anyway, I said I would upload what I came up with for Tom. So here is my rendition of Tom. The download is a preset with a head shape and 4 textures. The rest of the textures are just the standard Genesis male. I tested the preset on my laptop, so it should hopefully work. I haven't uploaded a character before.

You might prefer to dial the morph back to 60-80%. At 100% it might be too cartoony. I think I remembered to adjust the rigging to shape using the tutorial from the FaceGen thread. Feel free to alter him as you wish. The textures are under "Outrider42 FG." I didn't include any eyes because FaceGen eye textures are terrible. So the preset calls on Eddie's eye textures and I set the base color to blue.

I could upload the .fg file for the FaceGen owners, then they could create Tom as a Genesis 1 or 2 character, or even a female.

I know FaceGen has a thread, but would people be open to a thread dedicated just to sharing FaceGen characters? That might be fun. The thread could have links to characters or the .fg files themselves. Maybe we can all shoot each other in our own scifi epic, LOL.

Thanks.

Check out this Cyndi Lauper video from the 80s doing her Goonies song 'Good Enough'. The wrestlers and crew are funny. 

https://youtu.be/LxLhytQ67fs

I never saw that, cute video. I saw the Goonies at some point, but I was pretty young and I have very little recollection of it other than it having a lot of Indiana Jones hijinx. That video is as 80's as it gets, LOL. I remember Cyndi did a lot of stuff with wrestling. I don't think wrestlers get enough props for their acting talents, especially the classic guys like in that clip. They could make even the most mundane things completely over the top.

Speaking of, we need more Daz wrestling stuff. New stuff. Though I know the WWE is super copyright happy when it comes to their stuff. I might try using FaceGen for some faces.

I just came across a boat load of Genesis era wrestling poses I've had forever that I bought in the DAZ Store. I'm very tempted to convert them to Genesis 8 since there are those freebie pose conversion scripts & all I bought River Arts Automation Assembly Posing Line or whatever it's called & bone control.

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,552

You might prefer to dial the morph back to 60-80%. At 100% it might be too cartoony. I think I remembered to adjust the rigging to shape using the tutorial from the FaceGen thread. Feel free to alter him as you wish. The textures are under "Outrider42 FG." I didn't include any eyes because FaceGen eye textures are terrible. So the preset calls on Eddie's eye textures and I set the base color to blue. I did a little texture work on the face, not drastic, but I cleaned up any artifacts and messy spots FG made, and tried to add a little texture to the skin.

Thank you so much!  He looks amazing!!  Can't wait to get a wig on him and have him hassle Avengers ^_^

I do have one question though - The rights are set to "All Rights Reserved", which on that site I thought meant you can't even publish any art that you used it for.  Am I incorrect?  Is there any way I can use it in art that I post here and elsewhere, or would you prefer I didn't?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've never downloaded a morph from anywhere except Daz, so this is very new to me.

You might prefer to dial the morph back to 60-80%. At 100% it might be too cartoony. I think I remembered to adjust the rigging to shape using the tutorial from the FaceGen thread. Feel free to alter him as you wish. The textures are under "Outrider42 FG." I didn't include any eyes because FaceGen eye textures are terrible. So the preset calls on Eddie's eye textures and I set the base color to blue. I did a little texture work on the face, not drastic, but I cleaned up any artifacts and messy spots FG made, and tried to add a little texture to the skin.

Thank you so much!  He looks amazing!!  Can't wait to get a wig on him and have him hassle Avengers ^_^

I do have one question though - The rights are set to "All Rights Reserved", which on that site I thought meant you can't even publish any art that you used it for.  Am I incorrect?  Is there any way I can use it in art that I post here and elsewhere, or would you prefer I didn't?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've never downloaded a morph from anywhere except Daz, so this is very new to me.

I didn't change the check box. You know, I'm not sure, and I'm sort of sleepy at the moment. Can somebody clarify? I'll change it if need be because I want you to be able to use it as you wish.

Either way I give you that right, don't worry about that! Its my first upload, so some of that stuff was confusing. It crashed a few times on me, I guess because I was trying to use PNG files for the preview. I resaved as JPG. And I uploaded a couple preview pics, but only one shows.

And it is a manual install, if you haven't done that before, just copy the 3 folders; data, runtime, and presets, and paste them over the existing folders of the same name in your Daz library folder. Or drag and drop. Whichever you prefer.

I hope you like him!

I found some free wrestling poses somewhere a long time ago. I think deviant. The same person made some props and things, too. Some not free.

I think if we get a Latino Daz Original, the male and female should have a luchidore outfit in their bundles. That would a fun twist from the norm.

• In this era of social media, there are far worse things people can do instead of shooting visual facsimiles of their schoolmates in a video game, or doing power bombs to them in a wrestling video game. (I've always found 'pro' wrestling to be hilarious, so power bombing a best bud through a table in a ladder match would be just about the best thing ever, for both of us.) It is much easier to just photoshop their face into something horrible and post it to twitter or Facebook.

I didn't change the check box. You know, I'm not sure, and I'm sort of sleepy at the moment. Can somebody clarify?

On ShareCG, you should change to "Commercial renders OK, contents not for redistribution" if you want it to be allowed for render use or "Unrestricted use" if you want it to be completely free to use in any way.

I updated the upload, and found buttons to add a couple renders while I was at it.

• nDelphi said:

If I'd just see that figure I don't think I would connect it with Freddie Mercury.

But the same holds true for quite a few of the celebrities shown in this thread. Sometimes it's more the combination of hair + outfit + a "signature pose" (as seen in the Freddie Mercury example) and a general "likeness" from a certain angle that makes us think of a certain celebrity.

The poses definitely "sell" that particular character. To be fair to the artist, whenever I think of Freddie I am more likely to envision him as he was in the 1970s, cleanshaven with a Buster Brown hairstyle and a harlequin-type jumpsuit. 

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,752

The poses definitely "sell" that particular character. To be fair to the artist, whenever I think of Freddie I am more likely to envision him as he was in the 1970s, cleanshaven with a Buster Brown hairstyle and a harlequin-type jumpsuit. 

For me it's the mustache, the wig and the dress he wore for the "I want to break free" video. I rather try to forget how he looked when they recorded Innuendo (as could be seen in a documentary about the recording sessions).

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,860

I am seeing Eva Green resemblance in this one.

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=125001&AID=666

MDD Savannah for G8F - 03.jpg
    1000 x 1167 - 1M
  • manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,405
    nDelphi said:

I just started converting my Celebrity Directory into a searchable directory. The new searchable directory can be found at:

http://www.beammeup.net/blog/3d-celebrities/poser-celebrities.php

I am entering all the celebrities manually and marking the ones no longer available, as well. With the new searchable directory they will be kept around in case they resurface again, as some have, and can be searched for reference.

I will be adding an anonymous report feature so if anyone finds one that is no longer available they can report it.

Don't enter anything in the search field and you can navigate all under the radio button you select, just hit the Submit button.

awesome that we can search now! thank you.

what i'd really also appreciate would be to be able to look only at male/female characters (adding 1 field/tag in your db? no idea how you can implement this..) - because i really, really don't care about the girls, and ofc like evrything 3d.. they're in the vast majority. so when i browse without looking for someone in particular, i have to go through a huge ton of them for the few guys inbetween (by 31 pages, it sucks) ^^

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,552

I didn't change the check box. You know, I'm not sure, and I'm sort of sleepy at the moment. Can somebody clarify? I'll change it if need be because I want you to be able to use it as you wish.

Either way I give you that right, don't worry about that! Its my first upload, so some of that stuff was confusing. It crashed a few times on me, I guess because I was trying to use PNG files for the preview. I resaved as JPG. And I uploaded a couple preview pics, but only one shows.

And it is a manual install, if you haven't done that before, just copy the 3 folders; data, runtime, and presets, and paste them over the existing folders of the same name in your Daz library folder. Or drag and drop. Whichever you prefer.

I hope you like him!

I found some free wrestling poses somewhere a long time ago. I think deviant. The same person made some props and things, too. Some not free.

I think if we get a Latino Daz Original, the male and female should have a luchidore outfit in their bundles. That would a fun twist from the norm.

It worked perfectly!  Thank you so much, here's how he looks as Loki (without proper costume I'm afraid, I'll be working on kitbashing that) - 

Again, thank you so much! ^_^

• Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750

Wondering if this:https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/cherilyn/78529 is an attempt at Cher?

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,597

Well, it certainly does not look like Sonny Bono! wink

Sincerely,

Bill

• Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750

Lack of a moustache was the big clue for me.

Anyway I went back and read the comments, no doupt now, definitely Cher not Sonny.

• ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596
    edited February 2018

I picked up several of Sangriart's characters. I just got Sensea. Very good likeness.

sensa124test.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 142K
    Post edited by ChadCrypto on

I hope you like him!

It worked perfectly!  Thank you so much, here's how he looks as Loki (without proper costume I'm afraid, I'll be working on kitbashing that) - 

Again, thank you so much! ^_^

I'm happy you like him!
  • IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159

Would it be possible to have figures broken out by mdel type?  V4, Genesis, G2, G3, etc..

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,860
    Ikyoto said:

Would it be possible to have figures broken out by mdel type?  V4, Genesis, G2, G3, etc..

Is this directed at my searchable directory? If so, it's possible, but I don't know if I want to implement it at this time.

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,948

Adam Thwaites (MOST) has released another in his series. CS07 - Eva Mendes.

• lexbairdlexbaird Posts: 167

So, I finished up this morph and put it up on ShareCG, if you are interested. No textures, just the morph.

EllieColor.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 636K
    EllieGreyFrontHead.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 515K
    EllieGreySideHead.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 608K
  • Not sure if this has been said before, but I think Darius 7 looks a lot like Mahershala Ali from House of Cards, the 4400, Hunger games, Luke cage..

00-main-realcool-expressions-for-darius-7-daz3d.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 222K
    MV5BNDg4OTczODE5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjgwMjA0Mg@@._V1_SX878_CR0,0,878,999_AL_.jpg
    878 x 999 - 149K
  • This is the latest character I worked on, from my celebrity series. Base model: V4

CDR.jpg
    600 x 521 - 54K
  • Does anyone know of a good Gal Gadot morph for V4?  (NOT the forender one!)

I'm guessing you didn't like that version of her either. I looked around to see if there was a good Gal's morph out there but couldn't find one. So I gave a shot on creating her morph myself.

GGT.jpg
    300 x 300 - 32K
  • lexbaird said:

So, I finished up this morph and put it up on ShareCG, if you are interested. No textures, just the morph.

Thanks!  Love it.

• Pack58 said:

Wondering if this:https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/cherilyn/78529 is an attempt at Cher?

I thought the same thing.

• I've wondered for a while now how vendors get away with creating look-a-like models.  Do they have to get permission from the celebrity figure?  Please know this is not a criticism, just wondering if anyone knows the legalities for this.  Who knows, there may be a day when I want to make a look-alike to sell.

• freni-kyn said:

I've wondered for a while now how vendors get away with creating look-a-like models.  Do they have to get permission from the celebrity figure?  Please know this is not a criticism, just wondering if anyone knows the legalities for this.  Who knows, there may be a day when I want to make a look-alike to sell.

I think it works as long as you don't use their real identity/names. I'm not sure of all the legal bounds to that as per DAZ3D or Renderosity, but looks like you can sell using a different name. 

But if you can get the person's consent it would always be great isn't it. Reby Sky for example was created with her consent as I understand. Which is why her real identity is also used by the artist.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,076
    shadowz said:
    freni-kyn said:

I've wondered for a while now how vendors get away with creating look-a-like models.  Do they have to get permission from the celebrity figure?  Please know this is not a criticism, just wondering if anyone knows the legalities for this.  Who knows, there may be a day when I want to make a look-alike to sell.

I think it works as long as you don't use their real identity/names. I'm not sure of all the legal bounds to that as per DAZ3D or Renderosity, but looks like you can sell using a different name. 

But if you can get the person's consent it would always be great isn't it. Reby Sky for example was created with her consent as I understand. Which is why her real identity is also used by the artist.

I don't think that's true. Someone can do a portrait in traditional media of anyone they please & use the real name of the person portrayed and sell it.  

https://www.quora.com/Did-Andy-Warhol-need-Marilyn-Monroe’s-or-Campbell-Soup’s-permission-to-use-their-likenesses-in-his-iconic-paintings

As one example where this question gets asked again and again.

So unless you use create the textures directly from the multiplicity of different photos from different photographers digitally you are not going to infringe. And if you can pose a digital model and it look just like that person well that was the point of the digital model just like that is the case with many oil portraits.

shadowz said:
    freni-kyn said:

I don't think that's true. Someone can do a portrait in traditional media of anyone they please & use the real name of the person portrayed and sell it.  

https://www.quora.com/Did-Andy-Warhol-need-Marilyn-Monroe’s-or-Campbell-Soup’s-permission-to-use-their-likenesses-in-his-iconic-paintings

As one example where this question gets asked again and again.

So unless you use create the textures directly from the multiplicity of different photos from different photographers digitally you are not going to infringe. And if you can pose a digital model and it look just like that person well that was the point of the digital model just like that is the case with many oil portraits.

If only it was that simple. It is called the "Right to Publicity".

Monroe could not sue Warhol because she was dead. Plus the state of California did not have any right of publicity after death at that time (it has since changed.) The state later ruled that her rights ended when she died. So that is also why you see Monroe show up in so many places today...her likeness is not protected. But that was also a different time, people were not as consumed with this right of publicity as they are today. I truly believe if Warhol was getting started today, and he made a print of somebody like Lindsay Lohan, he would be sued without mercy. Why did I say Lohan, read on.

These rights vary greatly from state to state in America. That is also why when lawsuits happen, they are made in certain states which might favor the plaintiff. This has happened numerous times in the video game world. Two well known cases involve Lindsay Lohan and Manuel Noriega (yes, the former dictator of Panama.) Lohan sued TakeTwo Interactive, the owner of the studio that makes Grand Theft Auto, for using her likeness in GTA5. The character she claimed was based on her was also a famous actress, so the similarities were more than just CG skin deep. Noriega sued Activsion who owns the Call of Duty series for using his likeness in Black Ops 2. In that game, there is no question that the character is Noriega it is openly stated in the game as being him. The dispute is more about slander, as the lawsuit claimed that CoD Noriega is a "kidnapper, murderer and enemy of the state". Ironic, I know.

Both lawsuits were dismissed.

In another case, various NCAA football athletes sued Electronic Arts for using their likeness in numerous college football games. What is noteworthy here is that these depictions in the game were never named. Players were only given their jersey number, and the character portrait of the athlete was highly generic (as in, they reused the same face for many different players.) The only way to tell who was who was by their skin color, position, and their relative ability. For example, the star quarterback for Florida who could run as good as any running back was almost certainly Tim Tebow (though Tebow was not involved in any lawsuit, that is just an example.)

This lawsuit was eventually settled out of court, and EA paid $40 or 60 million, which was spread out among almost 25,000 players who are eligible. It is possible EA could have fought this all the way through, but they chose not to.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ea-sports-settles-with-college-athletes-for--60-million-203005134.html

This would lead to the death of the NCAA Football game series. The games were extremely popular and profitable, but the legal uncertainty around the athletes lead EA to kill the series. It is complicated by the NCAA itself, which refuses to allow athletes to accept any form of payment or they lose eligibility. So EA cannot pay the athletes even if they want to, but you have athletes suing for compensation...so yeah.

One interesting case involves Gwen Stefani vs Activision's Rock Band. Stefani and her former band No Doubt is included in the game along with some of their songs. The problem is that you could unlock Stefani's avatar and use her to sing other song by other bands. This is something that Stefani did not agree to and she sued. I think this lawsuit is interesting because of this. You could have Stefani 'singing' any song, including things she would never want to sing. This is not so unlike Daz Studio, where a model can be made to do, well, literally anything. This lawsuit was eventually settled out of court and terms not disclosed. It turns out people don't want their likeness to made doing things they would not do. That places Daz Studio in an awkward spot, and probably why you don't see any attempts at a Stefani look a like.

Now, let's look at that first link you gave us. In that post, the Andy Warhol prints are labeled as "fine art." It is only because they are fine art that they are allowed. So now you have to define what fine art is, and in order for a computer render to be OK, it needs to fit the definition of fine art. This is a whole different argument, but lets be frank, a Supreme Court judge will probably not rule that Daz renders are fine art. In 2001, the Supreme Court ruled that t-shirt drawing of the Three Stooges were not transformative enough to qualify as fine art and thus not protected.

https://www.rcfp.org/browse-media-law-resources/news/supreme-court-rules-three-stooges-t-shirts-are-not-protected-art

This line caught my eye: "The difference, the court said, was that Warhol's works "went beyond the commercial exploitation of celebrity images and became a form of ironic social comment on the dehumanization of celebrity itself." "

Well isn't that dandy! The way I read this is that you just have to be famous enough of an artist to pull this off. Because otherwise his works would not be seen this way.

While other cases have been dismissed, the very THREAT of a lawsuit is too much for most people. Certainly a PA cannot afford a huge lawsuit, and the store that sells these characters would also face action. Daz may be bigger than one person, but they are still a relatively small company, and I would bet Renderosity is even smaller. But their size is also a buffer. The reason behind the Lohan and Noriega lawsuits is very simple; those titles are among the biggest in all of gaming. Call of Duty can sell over 20 million copies. GTA is doing hundreds of millions in microtransactions alone, on top of the millions of copies sold. So they have money. Also, most people have no idea what Daz Studio even is...so it is well under the radar for most people...and lawyers.

There are some 'famous faces' over at Renderosity which have been updated to be less accurate to their inspirations. I don't know the whole story, but it is not without precedent in the Daz world. 

This discussion has been closed.